Side Effects of Over-Sleeping

srocco112

srocco112

Awards
  • Established
Just wondering what could be the possible side effects of over sleeping. I hear that the ideal amount of sleep is about 6-8 hours a night. For about the past year I have been sleeping rediculous amounts. I sleep on average 10 hours a night, sometimes 12. If i wake up after 8 hours i still feel exhausted and cant bring myself out of bed and all i wanna do is go back to sleep, so i will for a few more hours. But after doing this for so long, now when i do get up after sleeping 10-12 hours, i feel so groggy and crappy for a few hours after waking, feel like my head is in a cloud all day, have no motivation or desire to do too much, need a nap a few hours later (which is stupid, how can you sleep 12 hours, be up for 4, then need a nap?). I feel like my sleep schedule is making me feel like straight sh*t all day. Then when i try and go to bed at night i sit there for a while before i am actually able to clear my head, stop thinking about things, and actually fall asleep. Is this all normal things that happen when one sleeps too much?

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Over sleep causes that and not sleeping on the circadian rhythm pattern can as well...

srocco112

srocco112

Awards
  • Established
i feel like i have been having almost like a brain exhaustion. I feel like i am so easily stressed and frustrated and not too much excites me. I more or less just constantly feel like im tired of thinking. lol idk make sense?

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It means you should be falling asleep at around 9pm every night. Thats when the secretion of melatonin and serotonin takes place; sleep hormones. At this time you should be in a cool, dark room. Sleep about 8 hours and bam, you will feel great!

srocco112

srocco112

Awards
  • Established
ha yeah right, theres no way i can go to bed at 9. I dont get out of class till 930 then usually go out. Is this where the benefits of supplementing with mel. and ser. would come in? for those whos sleep patterns are generally off?

svtfocusman

svtfocusman

Awards
ha yeah right, theres no way i can go to bed at 9. I dont get out of class till 930 then usually go out. Is this where the benefits of supplementing with mel. and ser. would come in? for those whos sleep patterns are generally off?
Melatonin tends to not work unless you let it work. Only take it if you plan on getting 8 hours of sleep. I have tried it on less sleep and am pretty stupid for the first hour or two upon waking. If you take it and are still active the results will be little to none as far as drowsiness goes (or at least is for me.) Although this does depend on what type and what dose of melatonin you are taking, i used 5 mg and many try to say to take small dosages. Sounds like GABA would do you well at night.

XxAnabolicBxX

Awards
Just wondering what could be the possible side effects of over sleeping. I hear that the ideal amount of sleep is about 6-8 hours a night. For about the past year I have been sleeping rediculous amounts. I sleep on average 10 hours a night, sometimes 12. If i wake up after 8 hours i still feel exhausted and cant bring myself out of bed and all i wanna do is go back to sleep, so i will for a few more hours. But after doing this for so long, now when i do get up after sleeping 10-12 hours, i feel so groggy and crappy for a few hours after waking, feel like my head is in a cloud all day, have no motivation or desire to do too much, need a nap a few hours later (which is stupid, how can you sleep 12 hours, be up for 4, then need a nap?). I feel like my sleep schedule is making me feel like straight sh*t all day. Then when i try and go to bed at night i sit there for a while before i am actually able to clear my head, stop thinking about things, and actually fall asleep. Is this all normal things that happen when one sleeps too much?
I used to have all the same symptoms you speak of, and yes its from sleeping too much. Only thing i can think to tell ya is to get in some sort of routine, its really the only way to not go right back into sleeping too much. In your situation im not sure melatonin will work. If your minds racing with thoughts and your not already tired melatonin just keeps you from falling asleep. I used ALRI's Comatose (has no melatonin) at night since it relaxes you, slows and clears your mind so you can fall asleep. That with the help of working out Twice a day so I am tired enought at night to go to sleep, and forcing myself to wake up at the right time and get rolling... worked like a charm for me. As long as your able to keep yourself in the routine once you've started it.
After about a month of that, well til my comatose ran out, I was able to fall asleep at the right time and wake up 8 hours later or so just fine.

srocco112

srocco112

Awards
  • Established
did you find that your energy levels, mood, and feeling of well being throughout the day all got better with getting on a routine and forcing yourself up after 8 hours?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I could be wrong as I have been wrong before but a few years ago there were big discussions on melatonin and decreasing testosterone levels and sperm levels. It would be hard to dig up this information.

then flex magazine came out with a study showing it boosts gh. If I do not take something I just leave it alone. if I take it I get in there and research it deep.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
LOL your lucky. The majority of the year my schedule is so tight I only sleep 3-4 hrs everynight. Ha it sucks but I have no choice.

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
Not a fan of melatonin, groginess is NOT caused from sleeping more than 8 hours just lowered blood sugar along GH release, there are studies that show the more sleep the better, which is why I recommend power naps. The reason one usually gets groggy is the fact that your body is in a depleted state, remember you burn the most fat during sleep/rest.

AverageToHUGE

Awards
Just my 2 cents.. I've tried experimenting with different amounts of sleep and waking up at different times and I've found that if I just let myself sleep until I naturally wake up that it works best.

AverageToHUGE

Awards
Oh yeah forgot to mention that doing something like watching a movie you've seen a bunch of times where your mind is basically doing nothing is the easiest way to fall asleep if your having troubles.

XxAnabolicBxX

Awards
did you find that your energy levels, mood, and feeling of well being throughout the day all got better with getting on a routine and forcing yourself up after 8 hours?
Yes, energy, mood, and motivation all better. Your body will adjust after a few days of forcing yourself up by alarm, and you will start waking up around the same time on your own. Atleast for me thats how it works

XxAnabolicBxX

Awards
Oh yeah forgot to mention that doing something like watching a movie you've seen a bunch of times where your mind is basically doing nothing is the easiest way to fall asleep if your having troubles.
Yea, this works great as well. I do this alot too. Keeps from thinking, and since you've seen the movie it doesn't keep you interested enough to stay awake til end. I usually fall asleep 1/4 way through

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
everyones different, 8 is to much for much for me now a days, i wake up really tired, but a few years ago if i didn't get 10 hours i couldn't move the next day, right now my sweet spot is like 7 hours, but under 6 and i'm done for

cmc

cmc

Awards
Rest and sleep are very important. Aside from your physical training and nutrition intake, it is the third part to help balance your overall outcome of being fit. You can get by on 6 hours of sleep or less, but you will put yourself at a very high risk for over training. In doing so, the neuroendocrine system becomes exhausted, altering hormone levels so that optimal performance is impossible.

The other problem is suppression of the immune system. Overtraining will result in athletes becoming progressively more susceptible to infection and more injuries (muscle and tendon).

A general rule would be to get 7.5 to 9.5 hours of sleep per night. Add in a 30-60 minute nap after training would be invaluable.

bludevil

bludevil

Awards
  • Established
Might be totally of the mark here, but from the symptoms you have I would check the dr. to make sure you don't have mono.

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
i feel like i have been having almost like a brain exhaustion. I feel like i am so easily stressed and frustrated and not too much excites me. I more or less just constantly feel like im tired of thinking. lol idk make sense?
Come on guys its obvious. He's got depression or severe adrenal fatigue.

1. Try an adrenal fatigue program and diet.
2. Work out hard in the gym - get a serious program together. Eat lots of protein. This should lighten your mood at lot.
3. If that fails think... woman and take the old version of Animal Cuts!

If all that fails go see your local quack.

srocco112

srocco112

Awards
  • Established
^^^ I dont think this is true. I do have workout routine down that i have been following for a while now. I always workout hard, going to the gym is what i love to do no matter how tired or ****ty i feel. Its been a week now since iv been forcing myself up after 8-9 hours and my energy and mood have been feeling a bit better. I think my body over all is just exhausted and used to sleeping and being in that state, so thats all it wants to do throughout the day. My mind, body, drive, mood, motivation were all suffering because i think all my body is used to was being asleep.

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Its just you're hitting a number of key "tick boxes".

From what you've described:
Anhedonia
Hypersomnia
Severe daytime fatigue

If this is long term - months - be concerned.

Adrenal fatigue could well be an underlying cause. If you're mood is okay then thats very good - excellent. You have said you'd anhedonia.

Its very easy to get through adrenal fatigue to the extent that caffeine dependence (what I had) doesn't cause me a moments lost sleep, because rapid recovery is very easy.

srocco112

srocco112

Awards
  • Established
I dont abuse stims tho, i do take a preworkout so i do get some caffeine in there (5 days a week) and only occasionally will have a coffee later on in the day if i have late class

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Sorry I didn't mean that - I was simply demonstrating my experience of adrenal fatigue. Its a general term people get from a variety of different sources. Quiting heavy stim usage is one.

I ain't giving a diagnosis of adrenal fatigue - and it ain't a formal medical diagnosis outside the US.

Look, I personally would repeat the contents of this thread either to a dietrician/nutristionalist or your physician.

You're not going to do it I know - but remember where you heard it first.

srocco112

srocco112

Awards
  • Established
i understand, i wasnt i trying to come off as mean or acting like u dont know what ur talking about. I posted on this forum for a specific reason, to hear others opinions. so i take what u say to consideration. I was just saying i dont really abuse stims all that much. I do think that that i have been *consistanly* getting too much sleep. last week mond-fri i got 8-9 hours and felt alot better. sat night slept for like 11 and was groggy all day with a head ache and just feeling out of it. so i think i just need to get myself on a better routine here.