looking for info on 7-keto

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So I was at my vitimin store the other day picking up some fish oil, milk thistle, and flax oil and they had a sale buy 1 get one 50% off.

So I broswed around and was looking for rasberry ketones. I am on an AD diet, and had previously taken dcp/levi stack and noticed they had rasberry ketones in them, so I was looking for them thinking it would help with weight loss and came across "7-keto" So I bought a bottle.

Now background on me. I am on an AD diet, just came off of ECA stack, and about to start a Hdrol cycle next month. Weening myself off caffeine now, and that about it.

So what is 7-keto good for? I googled it and got tons of sites saying it does everything from weight loss to muscle gain to controling cortisol levels. Cant trust all site off google site so I decided to ask you guys, what is this stuff good for? Have any notable role in anything that can benefit me in?

Also when would be the best time to take, with what would be best to take with (can it be added to any stacks to be more sufficent)?

Is there anytime or anything that it should not be taken with??

Is it primarily good for body fat loss? muscle growth? or just all around good health? and any info you guys can give on it.

Thanks

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
also basic question, would it be good and effective to take now until I start my hdrol cycle to help with fat loss? I presently only take scivation whey, xtend, eaa, and jack3d along with multi, fish/flax oil.

Or would it be more effective to take after the hdrol? I have lean fx in my pct, maybe it would help to take the 7-keto on top of that?

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
7keto lowers cortisol very nicely, but also elevates t3, iirc, which has an anabolic effect, as well as metabolic. I like the stuff a lot. I always bulk, so I never lost fat, but gained muscle. A co-worker, 50yo fit guy, lost 1in off his waist without changing anything (the guy was a robot). He was impressed. It also boosts the immune system, I think.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
would it benefit me to take with my hdrol? or should I do it before or after the cycle?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm thinking I'm gonna use it as part of my serm being that it is a cortisol blocker..

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That would be wise. Btw, how's your judo going?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Havent been in a while. I miss it like crazy, most fun I ever had was in those classes. I work 12 hrs in a hospital and every day off I have classes. I haven't been to boxing, judo, or gym. I got me a powe rsquat rack and any free time I lift at home. After the semester I should be going back till spring classes and hopefully I can schedule classes around work and judo.

plenny

plenny

Awards
  • Established
yeah...being a cort blocker...i've used it PCT...also avoid taking calcium 1-2hrs before and after doseage.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Havent been in a while. I miss it like crazy, most fun I ever had was in those classes. I work 12 hrs in a hospital and every day off I have classes. I haven't been to boxing, judo, or gym. I got me a powe rsquat rack and any free time I lift at home. After the semester I should be going back till spring classes and hopefully I can schedule classes around work and judo.
Don't stop, man! I feel your pain, I work 12 days and do my coffee business on the side, plus wife and kids. I worked all this week, so I attended a different dojo that has a later class on tues, then went over to one of my sensei's house and trained from 9pm-12pm. I'm lucky to have that opportunity. Next week I should hit 3 classes, hopefully.

Until then, I watch judo vids on my google phone at work (ever seen koike's vids?), and someone loaned me 'the toughest man who ever lived', about mitsuyo maeda.

Hang in there man!

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So been searching and reading and seems many people feel it isn't good to take 7-keto in pct so I'll just save it for a rainy day.

Dr. Lats

Awards
7-keto DHEA is a known to suppress testosterone levels...

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
does anyone know how many mg are soupposed to be taken a day for results in wt los?s

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
7-Keto DHEA The Fat-Burning Metabolite of DHEA

By Dave Tuttle

While many anti-aging enthusiasts are familiar with the hormone DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone), far fewer are likely to be aware of its metabolite, 7-Keto DHEA, which is responsible for many of DHEA’s beneficial actions.

Scientists have documented DHEA’s wide-ranging benefits in numerous clinical studies. DHEA helps to retard the effects of aging and promotes enhanced longevity, exerting a multitude of effects through its conversion to some 150 metabolites, each with unique actions within the body.

One of the most important of these is 7-Keto DHEA (commonly referred to as 7-Keto), a hormone metabolite that can safely boost immune function and help reduce body fat. Unlike DHEA, however, 7-Keto does not convert to estrogen and testosterone. Because DHEA and 7-Keto have separate and unique functions and properties, it is important to understand the differences between these two popular dietary supplements.

Fast-Acting and Safe
The term 7-Keto is in fact a brand name for the chemical compound 3-acetyl-7-oxo-dehydroepiandros-terone, a naturally occurring metabolite primarily produced in the adrenal glands and skin (though some production occurs in the brain as well). It was first discovered in 1958, when it was found in urine.1 As shown in Figure 1, human blood levels of 7-Keto tend to follow the same course over time as those of DHEA, rising until about the age of 20 and then slowly descending beginning around the age of 30. Urinary excretion studies show that average blood concentrations of 7-Keto decline nearly 50% by age 50.2

“This reduction in 7-Keto levels is partially responsible for the increases in body fat and total body weight often seen in older people,” notes Dr. Sergey Dzugan, president of Life Extension Scientific Information, Inc. “This decline also plays a role in the compromised immune function that is a hallmark of the aging process. Moreover, since DHEA and 7-Keto decline at a more rapid rate than cortisol, this creates a period of cortisol dominance that can wreak havoc on the immune system. For these reasons, supplementation with 7-Keto is often appropriate.”

Studies have demonstrated that 7-Keto does not accumulate in the body over time and is free of unhealthy side effects. An analysis of the metabolite at the Chicago Center for Clinical Research found that 7-Keto is rapidly absorbed and sulfated, much like DHEA.3 The sulfated form of 7-Keto DHEA is more stable in plasma, and blood levels can therefore be more accurately measured with laboratory equipment. In the Chicago analysis, peak plasma levels were achieved 2.2 hours after supplementation, and a steady-state level in plasma was reached with twice-daily dosing. Despite 7-Keto DHEA’s rapid elimination by the body, measured as a half-life of 2.17 hours, relatively high blood levels are quickly achieved. For example, after one week of dosing at 200 mg per day, a mean 7-Keto level of 15.8 nanograms per milliliter (ng/ml) was attained; after four weeks of supplementation, the mean level was only modestly higher at 16.3 ng/ml. Supplementation with 7-Keto can therefore have relatively rapid benefits. Lower dosing resulted in proportionally lower blood levels of 7-Keto.3

Toxicology studies have revealed that this level of supplementation is very safe.4 A “LD50” study in rats (used to determine the dose at which 50% of the test subjects would have died) found that the toxic dosage of 7-Keto would have to exceed 2 grams per kilogram of body weight—the equivalent of a daily dose of 160 grams (not milligrams) for the average 176-pound person, or more than a third of a pound of 7-Keto per day! Laboratory analysis of 7-Keto showed that it does not cause DNA mutations, and an escalating dose study of oral supplementation in rhesus monkeys showed no adverse clinical effects at doses as high as 500 mg/kg of body weight, or the equivalent of 40,000 mg daily for the average human.5

Another benefit to 7-Keto is that it does not convert to estrogen or testosterone.6 This makes 7-Keto a safe alternative for persons with hormone-sensitive cancers, for whom regular DHEA may be too risky.”

Immune-Boosting Properties

Aging is associated with a decline in immune system response, with often-dramatic reductions in immune function. This leads to increased susceptibility to infections. For example, people with age-related declines in cellular immunity have an impaired response to influenza vaccine, making them more susceptible to catching the flu, even if they have received a flu shot. A study at the Minnesota Applied Research Center and the Geriatric Research Education and Clinical Center in Minneapolis found that four weeks of 7-Keto supplementation improved immune function in elderly men and women.7 In this randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study, 22 women and 20 men over the age of 65 took 100 mg of 7-Keto twice daily or a placebo of identical shape and size. Patients in the 7-Keto group had a significant decrease in immune suppressor cells and a significant increase in immune helper cells. The 7-Keto group also saw reductions in diastolic blood pressure and an increase in neutrophils, the first white blood cells to respond to infection. The scientists concluded that 7-Keto was well tolerated and had no serious adverse effects.

A Czech research team discovered that 7-Keto can counteract the effect of circulating glucocorticoids, such as cortisol, which often rise with age and can suppress immune function.8 This study was performed in vitro on the spleen lymphocytes of mice, which were exposed to an immune-suppressing drug. Without 7-Keto, the drug produced dramatic reductions in spleen lymphocyte levels. However, when 7-Keto was added, cell viability more than doubled and a measure of primary immune response rose by 150%.

A study at the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences in Beijing confirms the immune-boosting properties of 7-Keto.9 Scientists exposed mice with compromised immune systems to chronic mild stress for four weeks. The traumatic regimen decreased their white blood cell proliferative response and produced other abnormalities in immune function. Additionally, levels of thyroid hormones decreased. However, when the mice were given

7-Keto at a dose of 15 mg/kg of body weight, their blood cell prolifera-tive response and natural killer cell activity were dramatically enhanced. The levels of thyroid hormone also returned to normal.

The Primary Thermogenic Hormone
7-Keto produces fat loss through the process of thermogenesis. This term refers to the creation of heat, which is one of the forms of energy produced when the body’s cells metabolize the food we eat. Greater amounts of thermogenesis boost the body’s metabolic rate which increases the conversion of stored fat into energy.

7-Keto enhances the activity of three thermogenic enzymes that stimulate fatty acid oxidation in the liver. These thermogenic-en-hancing enzymes are fatty acyl CoA oxidase, malic enzyme, and glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase.6,10-12 These enzymes drive the liver cells to burn fatty acids for energy, which causes a lowering of triglycerides in the liver.

Supplementation with 7-Keto has a dramatic effect on boosting levels of these thermogenic-enhancing enzymes. Studies found that fatty acyl CoA oxidase increased by 128%, while malic enzyme jumped 860%. The concentration of glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase increased by 138% as well.6,10-12

A study published in Current Therapeutic Research revealed just how effective 7-Keto is in inducing fat loss.13 In this randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study, 30 overweight adults (28 women and 2 men) were divided into two groups. Group 1 received 100 mg of 7-Keto twice daily for eight weeks, while group 2 took a matching pla-cebo capsule. All subjects participated in an exercise program three times a week that consisted of 50 minutes of aerobic and non-aerobic cross training under the supervision of an exercise physiologist. In addition, each subject was instructed by a registered dietitian to follow an 1800-calorie-a-day diet. The subjects underwent testing for blood chemistry, body composition, blood pressure, and dietary analysis at baseline and at weeks four and eight.

The researchers found that the 7-Keto group lost a significant amount of body weight compared to the placebo group—6.3 versus 2.1 pounds. The 7-Keto group also lost a greater percentage of body fat compared to the placebo group—1.8% versus 0.57%.13 Compared to the placebo group, the 7-Keto group saw a significant increase in thyroid hormone activity that targets fat- burning genes in the mitochondria and adipose tissue.14 No adverse effects were reported. The results show that 7-Keto can significantly and safely reduce body weight and body fat when combined with exercise and a reduced-calorie diet. This is due to the greatly increased levels of fat-burning enzymes in the liver as well as the elevation of thyroid hormone. These beneficial changes are known to boost basal metabolic rate, making it easier to shed excess pounds. Supplementation with 7-Keto can therefore help reverse the decline in metabolic rate that makes it so easy to put on weight as we age. Unlike caffeine and ephedrine, 7-Keto does not have a central nervous system stimulating effect caused by nor-adrenalin release, nor does 7-Keto increase heart rate or blood pressure.

Cholesterol Reduction and Other Benefits
Scientists have known for some time that DHEA supplementation can decrease blood cholesterol levels.15 The question then became which DHEA metabolite or metabolites are responsible for this action. A study at the Institute of Endocrinology in Prague, Czech Republic, revealed that 7-Keto contributes to this cholesterol-lowering activity.16 Ten volunteers aged 27 to 72 years applied a gel containing 25 mg of 7-Keto to their abdominal skin for five consecutive days.

While the subjects’ reduction in total cholesterol was of only borderline significance, very beneficial changes occurred in cholesterol composition. Beneficial HDL (high-density lipoprotein) rose significantly, even though harmful LDL (low-density lipoprotein) was only slightly diminished. These changes produced a strong improvement in the atherogenic index, which measures the risk of cardiovascular disease. A significant rise in beneficial apolipo-protein A-1, a protector of cardiovascular health, also occurred. These findings indicate that 7-Keto has cholesterol-lowering effects at a dosage that is even lower than that required to achieve the same effects with DHEA.16

A study with mice suggests that 7-Keto can boost memory as well.17 In this experiment, researchers at the University of Wisconsin in Madison trained young mice in the use of a water maze. They found that a single injection of 7-Keto (at 24 mg/kg of body weight) reversed experimentally induced memory loss. The scientists then fed 7-Keto or DHEA to old mice that had learned the maze. They discovered that memory of the water-maze training was retained during a four-week test period in the mice receiving 7-Keto but not in those treated with DHEA.17

7-Keto may also provide benefits for people with Raynaud’s syndrome, a condition marked by cold, painful fingers and toes. Medical researchers believe that Raynaud’s represents an abnormal response to cold by blood vessels. A paper published in Medical Hypotheses suggests that 7-Ketomay be helpful in preventing primary Raynaud’s attacks by increasing the basal metabolic rate.18 Given what is known know about 7-Keto’s ability to boost levels of thyroid hormone T3, this hypothesis seems reasonable. Further studyis warranted.

Combination DHEA and 7-Keto Therapy
Because of the overwhelming scientific literature supporting the benefits of DHEA supplementation in older people, Life Extension has advocated DHEA replacement therapy since 1981. While this has been a dramatic step forward for many people, the newest research shows that additional benefits can be obtained through a combination of DHEA and 7-Keto therapy.

“Co-supplementation with these hormones can be a very important part of hormone-restorative therapy,” explains Dr. Dzugan. “There are times when the use of regular DHEA can boost estrogen and testosterone concentrations to appropriate levels but still not be enough to put DHEA in the optimal range. Supplementation with 7-Keto can permit additional progress in optimizing immune function, cholesterol reduction, weight loss, and memory enhancement without raising these ‘downstream’ hormones, estrogen and testosterone, to an inappropriate degree.

“Also, women sometimes experience hair loss or growth in facial hair when they take large amounts of DHEA due to its conversion to testosterone. The use of 7-Keto and a smaller, more suitable intake of DHEA can eliminate this problem while still giving them many of DHEA’s benefits, which in reality are due to its 7-Keto metabolite. Moreover, DHEA supplementation is contraindicated for hormone-sensitive cancers such as prostate cancer and many breast cancers. In these instances, dosing with 7-Keto is a viable alternative.”

As shown earlier in Figure 1, average blood levels of 7-Keto decline with age. This reduction is responsible for some of the negative changes that occur during our mature years. As a result, 7-Keto supplementation becomes increasingly important with age.

The best time to take 7-Keto is in the morning, when the body’s natural production peaks. This ensures that more plentiful levels of this hormone will be available consistent with the body’s natural cycle.

People should avoid taking 7-Keto in the evening, as high blood levels at bedtime could stimulate brain activity and cause insomnia. Those who take more than one capsule daily should consume all of them around breakfast time. Because 7-Keto is a natural hormone metabolite and is easily assimilated, it can be taken with a meal or on an empty stomach. Consistent daily dosing is important to ensure a stable level of 7-Keto in the bloodstream.

With all of the newly recognized benefits of 7-Keto, this workhorse metabolite is sure to become a standard part of hormone replacement therapy in the future. By offering many of the advantages of DHEA supplementation without conversion to estrogen and testosterone, 7-Keto affords older adults the opportunity to further promote their health and longevity even when their levels of the so-called “downstream” hormones are already optimal. Moreover, considering 7-Keto’s demonstrated ability to improve body composition, it is highly likely that this DHEA metabolite will become a staple supplement for many aging adults. After all, how many among us could not afford to lose a few pounds around the middle?

References
1. Gallagher TF. Adrenocortical carcinoma in man; the effect of amphenone on individual ketosteroids. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1958 Sep;18(9):937-49.

2. Marenich LP. Excretion of testosterone, epitestosterone, androstenedione and 7-ketodehydroepiandrostenedione in healthy men of different ages. Probl Endokrinol (Mosk). 1979 Jul;25(4):28-31.

3. Davidson M, Marwah A, Sawchuk RJ, et al. Safety and pharmacokinetic study with escalating doses of 3-acetyl-7-oxo-dehydroepiandrosterone in healthy male volunteers. Clin Invest Med. 2000 Oct;23(5):300-10.

4. Lardy H, Henwood SM, Weeks CE. An acute oral gavage study of 3beta-acetoxyandrost-5-ene-7,17-dione (7-oxo-DHEA-acetate) in rats. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1999 Jan 8;254(1):120-3.

5. Henwood SM, Weeks CE, Lardy H. An escalating dose oral gavage study of 3beta-acetoxyandrost-5-ene-7, 17-dione (7-oxo-DHEA-acetate) in rhesus monkeys. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1999 Jan 8;254(1):124-6.

6. Lardy H, Partridge B, Kneer N, Wei Y. Ergosteroids: induction of thermogenic enzymes in liver of rats treated with steroids derived from dehydroepiandrosterone. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1995 Jul 3;92(14):6617-9.

7. Zenk JL, Kuskowski MA. The use of 3-acetyl-7-oxo-dehydroepiandrosterone for augmenting immune response in the elderly. Presented at meeting of FASEB, April 17, 2004.

8. Hampl R, Lapcik O, Hill M, et al. 7-Hydroxydehydroepiandrosterone—a natural antiglucocorticoid and a candidate for steroid replacement therapy? Physiol Res. 2000;49 Suppl 1S107-12.

9. Liu YY, Yang N, Kong LN, Zuo PP. Effects of 7-oxo-DHEA treatment on the immunoreactivity of BALB/c mice subjected to chronic mild stress. Yao Xue Xue Bao. 2003 Dec;38(12):881-4.

10. Lardy H, Kneer N, Wei Y, Patridge B, Marwah P. Ergosteroids. II: Biologically active metabolites and synthetic derivatives of dehydroepiandrosterone. Steroids. 1998 Mar;63(3):158-65.

11. Bobyleva V, Kneer N, Bellei M, Battelli D, Lardy HA. Concerning the mechanism of increased thermogenesis in rats treated with dehydroepiandrosterone. J Bioenerg Biomembr. 1993 Jun;25(3):313.21.

12. Bobyleva V, Bellei M, Kneer N, Lardy H. The effects of the ergosteroid 7-oxo-dehydroepiandrosterone on mitochondrial membrane potential: possible relationship to thermogenesis. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1997 May 1;341(1):122-8.

13. Kalman DS, Colker CM, Swain MA, Torina GC, Shi Q. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of 3-acetyl-7-oxo-dehydroepiandrosterone in healthy overweight adults. Curr Therap Res. 2000;61(7):435-42.

14. Karakoc A, Ayvaz G, Taneri F, et al. The effects of hypothyroidism in rats on serum leptin concentrations and leptin mRNA levels in adipose tissue and relationship with body fat composition. Encocr Res. 2004 May;30(2):247-55.

15. Nestler JE, Barlascini CO, Clore JN, Blackard WG. Dehydroepiandrosterone reduces serum low density lipoprotein levels and body fat but does not alter insulin sensitivity in normal men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1988 Jan;66(1):57-61.

16. Sulcova J, Hill M, Masek Z, et al. Effects of transdermal application of 7-oxo-DHEA on the levels of steroid hormones, gonadotropins and lipids in healthy men. Physiol Res. 2001;50(1):9-18.

17. Shi J, Schulze S, Lardy HA. The effect of 7-oxo-DHEA acetate on memory in young and old C57BL/6 mice. Steroids. 2000 Mar;65(3):124-9.

18. Ihler G, Chami-Stemmann H. 7-oxo-DHEA and Raynaud’s phenomenon. Med Hypotheses. 2003 Mar;60(3):391-7.

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
7-OXO Science

By David Tolson

Synonyms: 7-keto-DHEA, 7-oxo-dehydroepiandrosterone, 7-keto-dehydroepiandrosterone

This supplement has been proposed for the following purposes or treating the following conditions. Also given is the current scientific support for use (on a scale of 0-10). Note that a low rating does not necessarily indicate that a supplement does not work, just that research is either unavailable or has not demonstrated a benefit.

Fat loss – 9
Cardiovascular health - 7
Age-related memory impairment – 6
Immune stimulation - 6
HIV/AIDS – 5
Inflammatory bowel disease – 3
Raynaud's - 2

Side effects

This supplement has been found to be very safe in animals at high doses and in humans at up to 200 mg daily.
7-oxo-DHEA should not be taken if you are being treated with glucocorticoids, as it may interfere with their effectiveness. If you are unsure if a medication you are taking is a glucocorticoid, consult a doctor.

Introduction

Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) (along with its sulfated metabolite, DHEA-S) is the most abundant naturally occuring steroid in human blood. It is produced in the adrenal cortex and can also be independently synthesized in the brain. Among the biological effects of DHEA are changes in the immune system, inflammation, lipid and carbohydrate metabolism, anticarcinogenic effects, neuroprotection, and antioxidant effects [1-2].

DHEA levels significantly decline with age, and this decline has been correlated to varying degrees with many of the complications associated with aging, such as cardiovascular disease and high cholesterol levels, insulin resistance and diabetes, obesity, and neurodegeneration [3-5]. In humans, DHEA has been reported to reduce body fat, alleviate angina, and reduce LDL ("bad") cholesterol, and it has also been used to treat cancer, multiple sclerosis, coronary artery disease, lupus, Alzheimer's, HIV/AIDS, depression, PMS symptoms, and osteoporosis [6-8]. It has antiproliferative effects on some human cancer cell lines [2]. In animals, DHEA has been reported to decrease body fat and have beneficial effects in rodent models of diabetes, lupus, anemia, atherosclerosis, and breast, colon, lung, and skin cancer [3, 6, 9]. It also improves memory performance and has immunostimulating and antiglucocorticoid properties [10-11]. For these reasons, DHEA has been termed "fountain of youth" [12].

However, DHEA is not without its problems. For example, it converts to both estrogen and testosterone (and subsequently DHT), with the estrogenic conversion generally being greater [10]. This also introduces exogenous hormones into the body, which makes cyclic use necessary. In animal studies, high doses of DHEA increase liver weight and the risk of liver cancer [2-3].

Luckily, many of the biological actions of DHEA may not be due to DHEA itself, but its metabolites. This is supported by numerous observations. First, some of the metabolites of DHEA share its properties but are considerably stronger [1]. Second, a direct mechanism of action of DHEA has yet to be identified, indicating that the metabolites may be responsible for its effects [2]. Third, large doses are generally required for DHEA to have an effect in animal studies, indicating that it may function as a precursor to more active steroids [7]. Research has recently identified a number of DHEA metabolites which do not convert to androgens or estrogens or interact with sex steroid receptors but share many of the in vivo properties of DHEA, such as increased thermogenesis, neuroprotection and memory improvement, increased immune response, and improved cardiovascular health [4, 7, 10]. The most important of these are 7-oxo-DHEA (also known as 7-keto-DHEA), 7alpha-hydroxy-DHEA (7alpha-OH-DHEA), and 7beta-hydroxy-DHEA (7beta-OH-DHEA).

Among these DHEA derivatives, 7-oxo-DHEA is readily available as a supplement. 7-oxo-DHEA can be converted into both 7alpha-OH-DHEA and 7beta-OH-DHEA in humans, and in human liver microsomes, this occurs at an approximately 1:2 ratio [1, 13]. Both of these steroids can also be converted back into 7-oxo-DHEA [14], although once source indicates that the conversion of 7-oxo-DHEA to 7beta-OH-DHEA is irreversible [1]. A number of enzymes from the 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (11betaHSD) family are responsible for this interconversion process, one or more of which has not yet been identified [1]. Nevertheless, the effects of oral supplementation with 7-oxo-DHEA can be seen as the sum of some of effects of all three of these steroids, and also possibly the effect on enzyme competition with other steroids that convert via the same enzymes.

Fat loss

7-oxo-DHEA has been associated with weight loss in multiple human studies. Davidson et al. reported a study involving oral administration of 50-200 mg daily of 3-acetyl-7-oxo-DHEA (which is quickly hydrolyzed to 7-oxo-DHEA in the body) or placebo in 22 men. The body weight of the placebo group increased by 3.0 kg and the body weight of the treatment group decreased by .5 kg over a period of eight weeks, and the difference was statistically significant. This translates to a difference of one pound per week between placebo and treatment groups. However, the study was only designed to assess the safety of the substance, so it did not control for confounding variables [7]. In another study, 30 overweight people were given either placebo or 100 mg of 7-oxo-DHEA twice daily for eight weeks. They exercised three times a week for a set period of time and were instructed to eat 1800 calories per day. Both groups lost weight, but weight loss was an average of 2 lbs greater per month in the 7-oxo-DHEA group (a statistically significant difference). Body fat decreased .89% per month in the treatment group compared to .29% per month with placebo, although this was measured by calipers, as opposed to a more reliable method [15].

In mice, rats, and dogs, DHEA has antiobesity effects and increases metabolic rate and thermogenesis. A decrease in body weight occurs without a change in food intake [6]. Rats fed 7-oxo-DHEA weighed 10% less than control rats in one study [16]. 7alpha-OH-DHEA also lead to a significant decrease in body weight in rats, an effect that was greater than that of DHEA [2]. However, in a study in monkeys, 7-oxo-DHEA failed to have an effect on body weight over the course of a month, although this study was of very limited statistical power, and like the study mentioned above, was primarily intended to evaluate the possible toxicity and side effects of the compound [17].

One study in mouse preadipocytes found that when treated with DHEA, it acted as a thermogenic and decreased fat accumulation, but 7-oxo-DHEA actually promoted lipogenesis. However, the authors pointed out that in live animals, 7-oxo-DHEA acts as a thermogenic [4], and all of the other evidence, both in vivo and in vitro, indicates that the effects of 7-oxo-DHEA on fat loss and thermogenesis are greater than those of DHEA.

There are a number of mechanisms which have been proposed by which 7-oxo-DHEA could increase fat loss. The first is potentiation of thyroid hormone activity and an increase in triiodothyronine (T3) levels. Thyroid hormones are important metabolic regulators, and often decrease when one goes on a diet, slowing metabolic rate and making weight loss efforts more difficult. In the second human study mentioned above, the group treated with 7-oxo-DHEA had significantly higher T3 levels, although they were still within the normal range [15]. Another study examined the association between natural 7beta-OH-DHEA levels and T3 levels in 152 men and women, and found them to be significantly correlated, indicating a possible link between the two factors [18]. 7-oxo-DHEA has also been reported to increase thyroid hormone levels in rats [15] and restore T3 and T4 levels in stressed mice [19].

7-oxo-DHEA, 7alpha-OH-DHEA, and 7beta-OH-DHEA all also increase the liver content of the thermogenic enzymes mitochondrial sn-glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase and cytosolic malic enzyme, and all to a greater extent than DHEA [10]. 7-oxo-DHEA is about 2.5 times as potent as DHEA in inducing these enzymes [7]. These enzymes are also induced by thyroid hormone, and it is thought that either 7-oxo-DHEA or a metabolite acts in a similar manner to thyroid hormone. One observation on which this is based is that 7-oxo-DHEA and DHEA both still increase malic enzyme activity in hypothyroid rats, although one other study with DHEA did not have the same finding [16]. Thus, induction of these enzymes may be due to a direct receptor effect, an increase in thyroid hormones and/or potentiation of thyroid hormone activity, or a combination, the last of which is most likely given the experimental evidence.

Another possible mechanism by which 7-oxo-DHEA leads to fat loss is induction of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors (PPARs). Specifically, DHEA is a preferential PPAR-alpha ligand, and 7-oxo-DHEA and the 7-OH metabolites have a greater affinity than DHEA. This can have a wide variety of effects, including increased mitochondrial uncoupling, regulation of genes that play a role in lipid metabolism, and increased levels of L-carnitine levels in various tissues [16]. In summary, this effect will have a number of downstream effects that will each increase fat loss in their own right. The extent of PPAR-alpha activation from 7-oxo-DHEA supplementation in vivo is not known, and DHEA requires relatively high doses to have this effect [2].

Another possible mechanism contributing to fat loss is sulfation of 7alpha-OH-DHEA, which leads to a greater degree of energy expenditure [2].

Other benefits

DHEA is well known to have antiglucocorticoid activity and increase the immune response. Both 7alpha-OH-DHEA and 7beta-OH-DHEA are more potent than DHEA in enhancing immune response and counteracting glucocorticoid-induced immunosuppression [11]. In some tissues, one or both have been found to counteract the effects of cortisol and the synthetic glucocorticoid dexamethasone [20-21]. Dexamethasone increases the level of 7-hydroxylating enzymes in adipose tissue, and inflammation increased metabolism of DHEA to 7alpha-DHEA in the brain of rats, indicating that metabolism of DHEA through this route may be used as a natural feedback mechanism to stimulate the immune system [21]. 7alpha-OH-DHEA increases resistance against lethal infection in animals and act as an antioxidant [2, 5]. The antiglucocorticoid action does not appear to be due to direct effects on the receptor, and is not yet well understood [11]. 7-oxo-DHEA has also been found to mitigate the immune reduction seen in mice subjected to chronic stress, with the effect being greater than that of DHEA [19].

In the human liver, present evidence suggests that 7-oxo-DHEA is metabolized into 7alpha-OH-DHEA by the enzyme 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase 1 (11betaHSD1). 11betaHSD1 also generally serves to convert inactive glucocorticoids to their active form, such as the conversion of cortisone to cortisol. It has been found that 7-oxo-DHEA competes with inactive glucocorticoids for the 11betaHSD1 enzyme [1]. Thus, 7-oxo-DHEA may inhibit the production of cortisol by 11betaHSD1 in in vivo situations, and this may be involved to some degree in the antiglucocorticoid action of 7-oxo-DHEA and related compounds. Sulcova et al. performed a study in men involving transdermal administration of 25 mg 7-oxo-DHEA for five days, and circulating cortisol levels decreased by 7.4%, but the effect was not statistically significant, although it was close [22]. Also, in the results reported by Davidson et al., cortisol levels decreased by 7.7% over eight weeks, but again this was not statistically significant [7]. Thus, the present research suggests that 7-oxo-DHEA functionally reduces cortisol levels, but further research should be conducted to confirm this.

DHEA belongs to a class known as "neurosteroids" because it is synthesized de novo in the nervous system. It improves memory performance in aged and beta-amyloid peptide-injected mice [5]. 7-oxo-DHEA, 7alpha-OH-DHEA, and 7beta-OH-DHEA all have neuroprotective properties and improve learning/memory in rodents to a greater degree than DHEA [10]. 7-oxo-DHEA was found to reverse scopolamine-induced amnesia in young mice and improve memory in old mice as measured by the Morris water maze, and was described as much more effective than DHEA [7, 14]. DHEA acts as an antagonist at GABA-A receptors, improving cholinergic transmission, and it has been hypothesized that the effect of the metabolites may be due to the same mechanism [14]. The antiglucocorticoid effects also result in neuroprotection [23].

Other possible benefits from 7-oxo-DHEA and its metabolites can be hypothesized. An in vitro study indicated a possible benefit from 7alpha-OH-DHEA in those with inflammatory bowel diseases [2]. In monkeys, 7-oxo-DHEA had beneficial effects in a model of wasting caused by HIV/AIDS [7]. In humans, oral 7-oxo-DHEA was associated with a significant reduction in systolic and diastolic blood pressure at multiple time points, and transdermal administration was associated with a small reduction in total cholesterol and an increase in HDL cholesterol [7, 22].

Dosage and Administration

7-oxo-DHEA has been associated with a high degree of safety and a low incidence of side effects. One toxicological study at up to 2 g/kg orally daily found "no observable, serious, adverse effects on either male or female rats" [8]. This study, along with another, found no significant increase in the weight of vital organs such as the liver [2]. However, one study found 7-oxo-DHEA to increase liver weight in rodents (DHEA also has this effect) [16]. Monkeys have also been given up 500 mg/kg daily without any adverse effects or changes in toxicological parameters (for a 175 lb. human, this would equate to 200 times the standard oral dose of 200 mg). 1000 mg/kg was associated with vomiting and salivation, but the vomiting also occured in the same animals on days that 7-oxo-DHEA was not administered, indicating that it may not have been due to the substance [17].

In human studies, 7-oxo-DHEA has been well tolerated, with no side effects reported at 200 mg orally [7, 15, 24]. Three studies have examined the effects of 7-oxo-DHEA on endrocrinological parameters. One found no significant change in blood sugar, testosterone, estradiol, or thyroid hormones other than T3, for which there was an increase. There were also no changes in tests of liver and kidney function or vital signs [15]. The other studies, the Sulcova and Davidson studies mentioned earlier (involving 25 mg transdermally for 5 days and escalating doses to 200 mg for eight weeks respectively, both in males), found reductions in total testosterone of approximately 10%, while Davidson et al. found an increase in free (usable) testosterone of about 15%. Estradiol was also decreased over the course of the study by 66% and 8% in these studies, and the second difference was not statistically significant. Overall, the effects on endrocrinological variables were either small or inconsistent, and they always remained within normal parameters [7, 22].

The primary methods of administration for 7-oxo-DHEA are oral and transdermal (for an explanation of transdermal delivery, see this article). Transdermal administration offers multiple advantages. It has been found to be a very effective delivery method for DHEA [20, 22]. Since the half-life after oral administration of 7-oxo-DHEA is only about two hours [24], transdermal administration offers a more sustained release. In terms of which delivery method will be more effective, theoretical arguments have been presented both ways. Since transdermal administration is less likely to reach the liver, there will be less activation of thermogenic enzymes in the liver. On the other hand, 7-oxo-DHEA is metabolized to a large extent in the liver, so transdermal administration will result in more 7-oxo-DHEA reaching other tissues.

The oral dosage recommended in the literature is 200 mg (100 mg twice daily), although some have reported using higher doses. For oral use, it would ideally be taken multiple times throughout the day. Most have used a dose around 100 mg transdermally, although it is clear that even 25 mg transdermally exerts an effect.

In conclusion, 7-oxo-DHEA is a promising agent for fat loss and offers a variety of other potential benefits. It is also safe and generally free of side effects. Further research may find that 7-oxo-DHEA shares many of the other beneficial properties of DHEA.

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
References
1. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2003 Apr 15;412(2):251-8. Glucocorticoids inhibit interconversion of 7-hydroxy and 7-oxo metabolites of dehydroepiandrosterone: a role for 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases? Robinzon B, Michael KK, Ripp SL, Winters SJ, Prough RA.

2. Steroids. 2004 Feb;69(2):137-44. Antioxidant effects of dehydroepiandrosterone and 7alpha-hydroxy-dehydroepiandrosterone in the rat colon, intestine and liver. Pelissier MA, Trap C, Malewiak MI, Morfin R.

3. Drug Metab Dispos. 2004 Mar;32(3):305-13. Stereo- and regioselectivity account for the diversity of dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) metabolites produced by liver microsomal cytochromes P450. Miller KK, Cai J, Ripp SL, Pierce WM Jr, Rushmore TH, Prough RA.

4. Biochemistry. 2002 Apr 30;41(17):5473-82. Molecular differences caused by differentiation of 3T3-L1 preadipocytes in the presence of either dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) or 7-oxo-DHEA. Gomez FE, Miyazaki M, Kim YC, Marwah P, Lardy HA, Ntambi JM, Fox BG.

5. Brain Res. 2003 Apr 18;969(1-2):117-25. In vitro metabolism of dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) to 7alpha-hydroxy-DHEA and Delta5-androstene-3beta,17beta-diol in specific regions of the aging brain from Alzheimer's and non-demented patients. Weill-Engerer S, David JP, Sazdovitch V, Liere P, Schumacher M, Delacourte A, Baulieu EE, Akwa Y.

6. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2001 May 15;389(2):278-87. Metabolism of DHEA by cytochromes P450 in rat and human liver microsomal fractions. Fitzpatrick JL, Ripp SL, Smith NB, Pierce WM Jr, Prough RA.

7. Clin Invest Med. 2000 Oct;23(5):300-10. Safety and pharmacokinetic study with escalating doses of 3-acetyl-7-oxo-dehydroepiandrosterone in healthy male volunteers. Davidson M, Marwah A, Sawchuk RJ, Maki K, Marwah P, Weeks C, Lardy H.

8. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1999 Jan 8;254(1):120-3. An acute oral gavage study of 3beta-acetoxyandrost- 5-ene-7,17-dione (7-oxo-DHEA-acetate) in rats. Lardy H, Henwood SM, Weeks CE.

9. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2002 Feb 15;767(2):285-99. Ergosteroids. VI. Metabolism of dehydroepiandrosterone by rat liver in vitro: a liquid chromatographic-mass spectrometric study. Marwah A, Marwah P, Lardy H.

10. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2003 May 30;203(1-2):13-23. Evidence that dehydroepiandrosterone, DHEA, directly inhibits GnRH gene expression in GT1-7 hypothalamic neurons. Cui H, Lin SY, Belsham DD.

11. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2003 Feb;84(2-3):307-16. The content of four immunomodulatory steroids and major androgens in human semen. Hampl R, Pohanka M, Hill M, Starka L.

12. Bioorg Chem. 2002 Aug;30(4):233-48. Ergosteroids VII: perchloric acid-induced transformations of 7-oxygenated steroids and their bio-analytical applications--a liquid chromatographic-mass spectrometric study. Marwah A, Marwah P, Lardy H.

13. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2002 Dec;83(1-5):245-51. Prohormones and sport. Delbeke FT, Van Eenoo P, Van Thuyne W, Desmet N.

14. Steroids. 2000 Mar;65(3):124-9. The effect of 7-oxo-DHEA acetate on memory in young and old C57BL/6 mice. Shi J, Schulze S, Lardy HA.

15. J Ex Physiology online. 1999 2(4). Double-Blind Study Evaluating the Effects of Exercise Plus 3-Acetyl-7-oxo-dehydroepiandrosterone on Body Composition and Endocrine System in Overweight Adults. Colker CM, Torina GC, Swain MA, Kalman DS.

16. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1997 May 1;341(1):122-8. The effects of the ergosteroid 7-oxo-dehydroepiandrosterone on mitochondrial membrane potential: possible relationship to thermogenesis. Bobyleva V, Bellei M, Kneer N, Lardy H.

17. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1999 Jan 8;254(1):124-6. An escalating dose oral gavage study of 3beta-acetoxyandrost-5-ene-7, 17-dione (7-oxo-DHEA-acetate) in rhesus monkeys. Henwood SM, Weeks CE, Lardy H.

18. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2003 Aug;41(8):1081-6. Relationship of dehydroepiandrosterone and its 7-hydroxylated metabolites to thyroid parameters and sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) in healthy subjects. Hampl R, Hill M, Bilek R, Starka L.

19. Yao Xue Xue Bao. 2003 Dec;38(12):881-4. [Effects of 7-oxo-DHEA treatment on the immunoreactivity of BALB/c mice subjected to chronic mild stress] [Article in Chinese]. Liu YY, Yang N, Kong LN, Zuo PP.

20. Physiol Res. 2000;49 Suppl 1:S107-12. 7-Hydroxydehydroepiandrosterone--a natural antiglucocorticoid and a candidate for steroid replacement therapy? Hampl R, Lapcik O, Hill M, Klak J, Kasal A, Novacek A, Sterzl I, Sterzl J, Starka L.

21. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 1999 Dec 15;71(3-4):133-7. 7Beta-OH-DHEA counteracts dexamethasone induced suppression of primary immune response in murine spleenocytes. Sterzl I, Hampl R, Sterzl J, Votruba J, Starka L.

22. Physiol Res. 2001;50(1):9-18. Effects of transdermal application of 7-oxo-DHEA on the levels of steroid hormones, gonadotropins and lipids in healthy men. Sulcova J, Hill M, Masek Z, Ceska R, Novacek A, Hampl R, Starka L.

23. Int Rev Neurobiol. 2001;46:79-95. Neurosteroid 7-hydroxylation products in the brain. Morfin R, Starka L.

24. Steroids. 2001 Jul;66(7):581-95. Ergosteroids IV: synthesis and biological activity of steroid glucuronosides, ethers, and alkylcarbonates. Marwah P, Marwah A, Kneer N, Lardy H.

anabolicRyan1

Awards
  • Established
bad ass.

steam

steam

Awards
  • Established
Most important passage:

Research has recently identified a number of DHEA metabolites which do not convert to androgens or estrogens or interact with sex steroid receptors but share many of the in vivo properties of DHEA, such as increased thermogenesis, neuroprotection and memory improvement, increased immune response, and improved cardiovascular health [4, 7, 10]. The most important of these are 7-oxo-DHEA (also known as 7-keto-DHEA), 7alpha-hydroxy-DHEA (7alpha-OH-DHEA), and 7beta-hydroxy-DHEA (7beta-OH-DHEA).

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
does anyone know how many mg are soupposed to be taken a day for results in wt los?s
The only form has 7-oxo works 100% for destroy the belly fat is in Transdermal Form like the old "PP Dermatherm"

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
PA says one time: "7-keto appears to lower testosteorne levels through inhibition of steroidogenic enzymes. 6-OXO will raise LH, but if the enzyme is inhibited enough it won't matter - testosterone production will remain disrupted.

However there could be a point in which LH is so high that it can partially overcome the enzyme suppression. Maybe, maybe not. Its an issue of concern though for sure. "

for me this KICK ASS and if this is a concern to you use a Transdermal 7-oxo when finish them start with Sustain Alpha, HGW plus AAKG (hornier like a hell)............lol

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
I thought 7-oxo is longer lasting and more efficient than 7-keto ?? Sorry I did not read all of those article posts.

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I thought 7-oxo is longer lasting and more efficient than 7-keto ?? Sorry I did not read all of those article posts.
Synonyms: 7-keto-DHEA, 7-oxo-dehydroepiandrosterone, 7-keto-dehydroepiandrosterone

ALL is the same 7-OH which converts to 7-OXO