Favorite Supplemental Carb Source.

Vote on your favorite carb type, explain the type and why in the thread.

• complex carbs

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • simple carbs

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • carb mix

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • I dont care, just give me carbs.

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

AABigRick

Awards
  • Established
With all the controversy of different carb sources especially new ones, lets see what everyones favorite carb source in supplement form is. Post what you use the carb source for, and why you like it.

Personally I like to mix wms and gatorade for pre and during workout because it helps maintain my energy levels. I am a big fan of kre celerator because of its carb source as well. Both give me sustained energy and good pumps.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
quick carb/wazy maize......30 grams in the protein drink for post w/o. quickest way for carb replenishment that i know of

sublimejeh

sublimejeh

Awards
  • Established
Waxy Maize (any brand) for the win! Less bloat and not so heavy in your stomach post workout... plus its better to have anytime of the day than dextrose

johnyq

johnyq

Awards
  • Established
If I was paying for something special, I would go with vitargo.

I just use gatorade powder with bcaa's intra, and chocolate milk PWO (at least for now).

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
dextrose + maltodextrin, doesnt cost an arm and a leg and is just as effective as WM

purebred

I'll ask again as my question as yet to be answered by those advocate/sell WMS: is there any conclusive evidence substantiating the efficacy of WMS? i come across a lot of controversial evidence when it comes to WMS and that's unfortunately why i haven't purchased it yet.

johnyq

johnyq

Awards
  • Established
I'll ask again as my question as yet to be answered by those advocate/sell WMS: is there any conclusive evidence substantiating the efficacy of WMS? i come across a lot of controversial evidence when it comes to WMS and that's unfortunately why i haven't purchased it yet.
no, in fact there is evidence that it is not effective.

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Complex and low GI. Only high GI post workout if you want (I don't).

jdg487

jdg487

Awards
  • Established
I like vitargo but it's just too expensive...

purebred

no, in fact there is evidence that it is not effective.
you know, in all honesty, you would make my day if you can post up that evidence. frankly, i'm over the wms hype. I want proof.
listen to this episode of super human radio titled "whitebread outperforms waxymaize"
http://www.superhumanradio.com/rss/2009/SHR_Show_343.mp3
I recommend everyone listen to this radio talk show session johnyq posted. puts a lot of trivial things in perspective.

In essence, WMS = all hype and it actually isn't a fast-digesting carb as many believe.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
I thought this was another "hype" thing but tried it any way.

With whey was no good. Gave me some bloating but i tried a few t-spoons with Purple Wraath and thought it was quite good as an intra workout drink.

I should mention i train first thing in the morning on an empty stomach so i need something easy digesting and WMS seems to fit the bill.

I think it defeats the purpose having it with anything else other than BCAA's or EAA's which also digest quick, much quicker than whey.

Another drink i like is whey and gatorade but the WMS and AA's absorb much, much faster.

purebred

I thought this was another "hype" thing but tried it any way.

With whey was no good. Gave me some bloating but i tried a few t-spoons with Purple Wraath and thought it was quite good as an intra workout drink.

I should mention i train first thing in the morning on an empty stomach so i need something easy digesting and WMS seems to fit the bill.

I think it defeats the purpose having it with anything else other than BCAA's or EAA's which also digest quick, much quicker than whey.

Another drink i like is whey and gatorade but the WMS and AA's absorb much, much faster.
whey is actually a slow-digesting carb and is especially beneficial for those involved in endurance activities. Might be better pre-workout than intra/post-workout.

There's a lot of misconception with this WMS situation. It actually came about due to studies using Swedish POTATO starch. That's the supplement industry for you though. Preying off the minds off those looking for the "next new best supplement."

johnyq

johnyq

Awards
  • Established
you know, in all honesty, you would make my day if you can post up that evidence. frankly, i'm over the wms hype. I want proof.

I recommend everyone listen to this radio talk show session johnyq posted. puts a lot of trivial things in perspective.

In essence, WMS = all hype and it actually isn't a fast-digesting carb as many believe.
The title of the very first result in pubmed when you search "waxy maize starch"
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19628104?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum
Consumption of the slow-digesting waxy maize starch leads to blunted plasma glucose and insulin response but does not influence energy expenditure or appetite in humans.
slow digesting
blunted insulin

what more do you want? Its nothing it was sold to be, in fact it is the opposite.

AABigRick

Awards
  • Established
So far complex carbs are in the lead.

There is so much controversy over wms, finding evidence both ways seems easy to find.

Hoopie

Hoopie

Awards
Wheat taost with a tbsp. of honey chased with a protien shake

Mindless

Awards
oats all the way. rolled or oatmeal either is fine. i even blend them to powder now and then.

...bananas and other fruits. and on occasion some chocolate.

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
low GI complex carbs from whole foods any day

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
oats all the way. rolled or oatmeal either is fine. i even blend them to powder now and then.
All the way. I use fine oats in protein shakes. Rye bread as well.

Really oats are so versatile breakfast, shakes and biscuits I never looked any further. There are a few commerical super low GI carbs but oats take some beating.

I use Glycogrow - super low GI - but that is really a fat.

Bananas - there are a bit high in GI. Chocolate ... my vice is icecream.

REEVESDIESEL

REEVESDIESEL

Awards
  • Established

Hey guys, what's the deal with the Steel Cut Oats. Worth the extra chetta?

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
If I was paying for something special, I would go with vitargo.

I just use gatorade powder with bcaa's intra, and chocolate milk PWO (at least for now).
I use the exact the same thing intra. i have a meal before, and i don't take anything postworkout except BCAA's, and i eat when i get home.

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
I've been using WM for the longest time as a post workout drink. Starting today I will be omitting the WM/BCAA post and drink an isolate whey/oats post work out drink. I am leaning towards dropping many supplements and relying on whole foods pre and post workout. For example, 2 bananas in place of my WM/BCAA pre workout drink. Time for a change.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
soooo let me get this straight. Perfect Carb is dex/malt/WM. If Waxy maize is superior to dex/malt because it bypasses the gut, and therefore is praised in the BB community, then combining it with dex/malt is just wasting it, isnt it? Or they are hoping for the "lets stuff it all into 1 bottle" method hoping that works better. I guess you gotta try and see what works best for you.

sbhoff1

Awards
There is a lot of hype about Waxy Maize Starch. Does this stuff really work for energy?
From what I understand, there are different grades of WMS. I work out daily and need an extra natural energy boost in the gym. BTW, coffee makes my heart race so I stay away from caffeine.
Thanks,
Scott

AABigRick

Awards
  • Established
I used to grind up oats in my protein shakes for carbs as well, ended up breaking my blender though, need to buy a new one.

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
I'm just gonna throw the oats in the shake and mix it up before I lift. The oats will have time to saturate themselves while I workout.

LT*

LT*

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, what's the deal with the Steel Cut Oats. Worth the extra chetta?
Love Steel cut oats. Yeah they take a little longer to cook, but you can cook up a bunch and refrigerate them for a few days. They are more hearty, better tasting and seem to keep me full longer than old fashioned oats. They are not good for grinding up and putting in shakes though. The rolled oats are better for that.

UKStrength

soooo let me get this straight. Perfect Carb is dex/malt/WM. If Waxy maize is superior to dex/malt because it bypasses the gut, and therefore is praised in the BB community, then combining it with dex/malt is just wasting it, isnt it? Or they are hoping for the "lets stuff it all into 1 bottle" method hoping that works better. I guess you gotta try and see what works best for you.
I agree mate ^^^ I found it to be effective above my usual banana or lucozade. No GI issues, great volumising effect and very easy to drink during training.

If it conflicts the science then that's fine by me, real world results speak volumes above a journal in my opinion.

Give it a try mate and see how it goes.

AABigRick

Awards
  • Established
I agree mate ^^^ I found it to be effective above my usual banana or lucozade. No GI issues, great volumising effect and very easy to drink during training.

If it conflicts the science then that's fine by me, real world results speak volumes above a journal in my opinion.

Ditto on the real world results above anything else.

aminoman

Awards
wazy maize pwo with slin and protein powder with clutamine for the best insuline peak.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established

It's working for me as well especially since i've just added Creatine Mono again. Unless i have something quick acting then Creatine Mono can upset my stomach a bit.

You just have to find the right quantities. I was told 60 grams of WMS was good but it's way too much for me and i had some issues but since cutting back i'm having better results.

If i do not have time for a whole food breakfast i have another shake with oats, egg whites, honey and whey which keeps me full for a long time but i have to have something quick while i'm training though.

AABigRick

Awards
  • Established
I usually dont go past 25 grams of carbs pre workout. sometimes 50 if I havenot eaten good that day.