Anabolic Pump/Recreate log...let's get some f'n recomp goin'!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. Registered User
    ThisGuy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,006
    Answers
    0

    Anabolic Pump/Recreate log...let's get some f'n recomp goin'!!!


    Alright! I just got my order of AP and Recreate and I'm friggin' excited to get a little log going. GMG760's got a nice log going (rock on, Garrett!), and I thought, "what the hell, he seems to be enjoying it. Let me give this stuff a try, and run a little log of my own." I intend to start up on Monday, taking 3 Recreate and 3 AP daily. I'm cutting all other supps except Trib Test Extreme (because I hear a little test booster works well with AP, and a little nettle root never hurt anyone ), and of course, my ON Whey protein.

    I'm excited, because I'm perpetually on a cut, so my carb intake is generally pretty low (sometimes in the 30g range for a day), and this is going to allow me to stock up on those bad boys while still cutting fat. I'll be keeping it to around 40g of carbs at the beginning, per Mullet's much apreciated advice, and see how it goes from there.

    I intend to be as detailed and thorough as I possible can, and I'm hoping that by being dedicated to this log, it'll help me keep on track with my program and acheive my recomp goals. I got me a notebook for the weightroom, and another for my meals, and I intend to put in a daily post detailing training and diet. I may miss a day here and there, but the notebooks should allow me to recap missed days when I check back in.

    Besic stats:
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 194lb
    bf: I'm guessing 16-ish, but I'm working on getting it checked before Monday rolls around. It's hard to say, because I have virtually no fat on my arms, chest, shoulders or legs, but I have little in the lower belly/"love" handle region (I sure as hell don't love 'em!).
    Measurments: Likewise, I'll be getting these in some time before I begin Monday, and if I can scrounge up a camera, I intend to do weekly pics (both pre-workout and post-workout, so we have a point of comparison in terms of the pump that AP is so widely reputed for).

    Quick rundown of training: I'm on a 3 day split going into this (try to do Monday Chest/Back, Wednesday Shoulders, Thursday Bi's and Tris). I don't have a dedicated leg day because I average 4 -5 mornings of cardio, so I just hit some squats and calve raises on the last day of my week, so they can rest up for the next week's cardio onslaught. I have a 4 week rotation I set up based on research I've done that constantly changes my workouts from week to week and employs various techniques (drop sets, partials, x-reps, rest-pause, pre-exhaust supers, and tri-sets). I'll include the details in the daily log. Cardio is comprised, generally speaking, of 3 HIIT days (20 - 30min) on Mon/Wed/Fri and low intensity days on Tues/Thurs (45 - 60min).

    Finally, here's a sample of my dosing/eating schedule:

    7:30am Recreate (2)

    8 - 9am Cardio and abs

    9am AP (1)

    9:30am Meal 1 - Breakfast (Egg whites and oatmeal or whole wheat english muffins and/or toast)

    12pm Meal 2 - Mid-morning meal (Protien shake w/ baby carrots and celery)

    2pm Meal 3 - Lunch (Turkey or Chicken coldcuts, or tuna sandwhich on salad)

    4:00pm Recreate (1)

    4:30pm AP (1)

    5pm Meal 4 - Pre-workout/mid-afternoon meal (brown rice, whole wheat couscous, or whole wheat pasta mixed with chopped grilled chicken breast or grilled chicken breast w/ baked sweet potato)

    8pm Meal 5 - Post-workout Protien shake

    8:30pm AP (1)

    9:00pm Meal 6 - Dinner (chicken breast, turkey breast or fish w/ steamed vegetables and/or salad, and whole wheat pasta, brown rice, whole wheat couscous or sweet potato)

    Well, I think that's a pretty good summary of my intended log. Let's get this party started!

  2. Registered User
    GMG760's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  209 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,709
    Answers
    0


    FIRST!

    Best of luck with the stack, I'm with ya on this one brotha! Keep up the good logs!

    BTW. WORK YOUR LEGS OUT SUCKA!!! It won't effect your cardio that much.
    ...GMG760 Version 2.0 ... Back from the dead.
  3. Registered User
    ThisGuy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,006
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by GMG760 View Post
    FIRST!

    Best of luck with the stack, I'm with ya on this one brotha! Keep up the good logs!

    BTW. WORK YOUR LEGS OUT SUCKA!!! It won't effect your cardio that much.
    I know you're right, dude! I just hate working out my legs. Maybe if I had some shorts that I could wear to the gym, allowing me to see my legs working...



    But I know you're right. Tell you what, I'm going to make an effort to add a short Saturday morning workout in, where I'll do Squats, Calve raises, Leg extensions, reverse extensions, and weighted lunges (you know...the ones where you walk across the gym).
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    GMG760's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  209 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,709
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ThisGuy2 View Post
    I know you're right, dude! I just hate working out my legs.
    Suck it up, it stops being so bad after a few weeks. And once you gain that first easy 10 lbs of muscle (that you were missing on your legs), you look a lot bigger and feel a lot stronger. Trust me, if you want to be big, go big on your leg day.

    But I know you're right. Tell you what, I'm going to make an effort to add a short Saturday morning workout in, where I'll do Squats, Calve raises, Leg extensions, reverse extensions, and weighted lunges (you know...the ones where you walk across the gym).
    Try this. Warm up with a set or two of quad extentions.

    1 warm up, 3 working sets of Squats.
    3 Working sets of Romanian Dead Lifts
    3-4 sets of Leg press.
    Walking lunges if you can handle it after all of that.
    Whatever you want to do for calves.
    Skip Cardio for that day. I bet this workout makes you puke anyway if you really push yourself. It's done it to me.

    Don't skip out on your deadlifts. They will make you big and strong, they are like the wheaties of your workout.

    BTW, if you are bulking, throw some red meat in there. You won't regret it. It makes me feel stronger, swear to god, no clue why though.

    Good luck with those wheels!:dl:
    ...GMG760 Version 2.0 ... Back from the dead.
  5. Registered User
    ThisGuy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,006
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by GMG760 View Post
    Suck it up, it stops being so bad after a few weeks. And once you gain that first easy 10 lbs of muscle (that you were missing on your legs), you look a lot bigger and feel a lot stronger. Trust me, if you want to be big, go big on your leg day.



    Try this. Warm up with a set or two of quad extentions.

    1 warm up, 3 working sets of Squats.
    3 Working sets of Romanian Dead Lifts
    3-4 sets of Leg press.
    Walking lunges if you can handle it after all of that.
    Whatever you want to do for calves.
    Skip Cardio for that day. I bet this workout makes you puke anyway if you really push yourself. It's done it to me.

    Don't skip out on your deadlifts. They will make you big and strong, they are like the wheaties of your workout.

    BTW, if you are bulking, throw some red meat in there. You won't regret it. It makes me feel stronger, swear to god, no clue why though.

    Good luck with those wheels!:dl:
    I'll give those a shot. Damn...now that you mention it, I can't remember the last time I did deads...what I slacker!! The only thing is I don't have the leg press machine at my gym it's an apartment gym, but I can get the rest of those in. Should be fun. I love that first day when you walk like n a$$hole because your legs are so stiff (the 2nd day not so much!).

    As for red meat, I do actually eat it, but no more than once a week. Gotta watch the ole' ticker. I also eat low sodium everything!

    Thanks dude!
  6. Registered User
    GMG760's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  209 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,709
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ThisGuy2 View Post
    I'll give those a shot. Damn...now that you mention it, I can't remember the last time I did deads...what I slacker!! The only thing is I don't have the leg press machine at my gym it's an apartment gym, but I can get the rest of those in. Should be fun. I love that first day when you walk like n a$$hole because your legs are so stiff (the 2nd day not so much!).

    As for red meat, I do actually eat it, but no more than once a week. Gotta watch the ole' ticker. I also eat low sodium everything!

    Thanks dude!
    NP, Your welcome bro.

    If you can't do the leg press, I suggest something like Front squats superset with walking lunges... oh god that would be a brutal leg workout. Do you use dumbbells or barbells for your lunges? I have a personal favorite that doesn't involve either. It's pretty intense for how light the weight is. Just grab a 45lb plate and hold it in front of you at your chest, kinda like a steering wheel and do your lunges. Make sure to hold it up and in front of you, it burns the forearms like a mofo the first few workouts. It will help with your balance, your forearms and make you put your weight on your heel (which is the entire point of the exercise).

    Good on ya for taking a crack at those legs. Seriously, take before and after pictures... I want to see the results of my workout plan.

    Oh yea and carb it up before leg day, you won't regret having that extra fuel in you.
    ...GMG760 Version 2.0 ... Back from the dead.
  7. Registered User
    ThisGuy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,006
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by GMG760 View Post
    NP, Your welcome bro.

    If you can't do the leg press, I suggest something like Front squats superset with walking lunges... oh god that would be a brutal leg workout. Do you use dumbbells or barbells for your lunges? I have a personal favorite that doesn't involve either. It's pretty intense for how light the weight is. Just grab a 45lb plate and hold it in front of you at your chest, kinda like a steering wheel and do your lunges. Make sure to hold it up and in front of you, it burns the forearms like a mofo the first few workouts. It will help with your balance, your forearms and make you put your weight on your heel (which is the entire point of the exercise).

    Good on ya for taking a crack at those legs. Seriously, take before and after pictures... I want to see the results of my workout plan.

    Oh yea and carb it up before leg day, you won't regret having that extra fuel in you.
    Damn buddy, that does sound serious! I think I'd like to give it a shot, though I may want to wait until the second week, just to let me legs adjust a little. Typically I'd do them with DBs hanging at my sides, but this sounds like a really cool twist, especially since I can get a little forearm work in simultaneously. I do lots of hammers and other DB curls, so I don't usually focus on the forearms, per se, and since every little bit helps, that's a definite perk here.

    And looks like I'll be good to go with a camera too, so before and afters will definitely be in the house. Only thing is, this week's (the official "before's" are going to have to come from my phone, so the quality won't be great, but from there on out we'll be rocking and rolling.)
  8. Registered User
    shaddow's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  203 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,386
    Answers
    0


    DEFINITELY incorporate some leg work, bro! Cardio alone doesn't cut it!
  9. Registered User
    GMG760's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  209 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,709
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ThisGuy2 View Post
    Damn buddy, that does sound serious! I think I'd like to give it a shot, though I may want to wait until the second week, just to let me legs adjust a little. Typically I'd do them with DBs hanging at my sides, but this sounds like a really cool twist, especially since I can get a little forearm work in simultaneously. I do lots of hammers and other DB curls, so I don't usually focus on the forearms, per se, and since every little bit helps, that's a definite perk here.

    And looks like I'll be good to go with a camera too, so before and afters will definitely be in the house. Only thing is, this week's (the official "before's" are going to have to come from my phone, so the quality won't be great, but from there on out we'll be rocking and rolling.)
    Sweet man. Don't sweat the front squats and lunges, I think I got kinda overzealous with you if you are just starting legs... just try one or the other.

    Focus on your forearms, just do it on a day after your arm workout... mine is my last for the week because you incorporate your forearms in so much of the other workouts. That being said, strong forearms will lead to strong grip which leads to strong lifting. Deadlifts will help your forearms, but I recommend doing reverse curls and wrist curls as well. You don't want a big upper arm with a tiny little stick sticking out of it. Plus when you have strong grip strength you can do a lot more with deads and shrugs and bent over rows etc. It is also a plus to be able to grab someone and throttle them in you have to ... and that is ALL forearm.
    ...GMG760 Version 2.0 ... Back from the dead.
  10. Registered User
    ThisGuy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,006
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by shaddow View Post
    DEFINITELY incorporate some leg work, bro! Cardio alone doesn't cut it!
    Yeah, I'm definitely going to incorporate a leg day. Now that I'm down to a 3 day split anyway, a leg day will just put me back at 4.
  11. Registered User
    ThisGuy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,006
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by GMG760 View Post
    Sweet man. Don't sweat the front squats and lunges, I think I got kinda overzealous with you if you are just starting legs... just try one or the other.

    Focus on your forearms, just do it on a day after your arm workout... mine is my last for the week because you incorporate your forearms in so much of the other workouts. That being said, strong forearms will lead to strong grip which leads to strong lifting. Deadlifts will help your forearms, but I recommend doing reverse curls and wrist curls as well. You don't want a big upper arm with a tiny little stick sticking out of it. Plus when you have strong grip strength you can do a lot more with deads and shrugs and bent over rows etc. It is also a plus to be able to grab someone and throttle them in you have to ... and that is ALL forearm.
    No, I'm into it. I just want to be sure I can walk. Usually the first week I hit up legs after a loooong break, I get really sore, which is normal. By weeks 2, I'm punishing them again.

    As for forarms, I guess they probably could always use a little aesthetic work, but my grip is pretty strong. When I go heavy on BB shrugs I go up to 405, so at least strength-wise, they're not too shabby.

    I'm doing a dedicated arm day now, and it happens to be at the end of my workout week (well, now just before the end, which is going to be leg day ), so I think I'll fit some weighted twists in at the end.

    Thanks for all your help!

    By the way, got some pre- and post-workout before pics taken today that I'll be loading shortly, and picked up a roll of metric tape, so I'll be posting measurements by Monday.
  12. Registered User
    ThisGuy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,006
    Answers
    0


    Alright, so this week was a slack-off week for me in the gym...well, not so much a slack-off week as a crazy work week, including travel and everything. But luckily, this doesn't happen that often, and I'll be free to focus next week for week 1. I did manage to get some before pics taken, which you'll see below.

    I also managed to fit a single 30 minute workout in this morning, so I decided to just do a quick low-weight, hi-rep workout to get a pump going. Here's what I did:

    Bench
    2 x 20 @ 135lb.
    1 x 15 @ 185lb.
    1 x 12 @ 205lb.
    1 x 10 @ 225lb.

    Widegrip Lat Pulldown
    3 x 20 @ 100lb.

    Military Press
    Overhead 2 x 15 @ 135lb.
    Behind neck 2 x 15 @ 135lb.

    DB Curl / Skull Crusher Supers
    3 x 15 @ 25lb.
    3 x 20 @ 25lb.

    Squats
    4 x 20 @ 185lb.

    That was my workout...sucked pretty bad, but I figured better to get a light round of high-reps in than nothing at all. Next week I'll be prepared to go with my regular routine starting Monday, along with the AP/Recreate stack.

    Here are the pics. They suck prett bad, because I had to do them on a cameraphone. Also, I didn't purposely do that whole "crap-sup" technique of brightening the color to make the afters look better. the camera is set to automatic, and I guess the lighting was different or something. Also, I realize I changed the pose slightly, which I'l be sure not to do again. Also, from here on out I expect to have an actual camera for the pics.

    P.S. I saved these images to 2.5 inches, and still they came out this big. Anyone know how I can reduce the size??

    EDIT: MOVED THE PICS TO FURTHER IN THE LOG (for weeks 2 comparison)

    Pre-gym


    Post-gym
  13. Registered User
    GMG760's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  209 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,709
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ThisGuy2 View Post
    Alright, so this week was a slack-off week for me in the gym...well, not so much a slack-off week as a crazy work week, including travel and everything. But luckily, this doesn't happen that often, and I'll be free to focus next week for week 1. I did manage to get some before pics taken, which you'll see below.

    I also managed to fit a single 30 minute workout in this morning, so I decided to just do a quick low-weight, hi-rep workout to get a pump going. Here's what I did:

    Bench
    2 x 20 @ 135lb.
    1 x 15 @ 185lb.
    1 x 12 @ 205lb.
    1 x 10 @ 225lb.

    Widegrip Lat Pulldown
    3 x 20 @ 100lb.

    Military Press
    Overhead 2 x 15 @ 135lb.
    Behind neck 2 x 15 @ 135lb.

    DB Curl / Skull Crusher Supers
    3 x 15 @ 25lb.
    3 x 20 @ 25lb.

    Squats
    4 x 20 @ 185lb.

    That was my workout...sucked pretty bad, but I figured better to get a light round of high-reps in than nothing at all. Next week I'll be prepared to go with my regular routine starting Monday, along with the AP/Recreate stack.

    Here are the pics. They suck prett bad, because I had to do them on a cameraphone. Also, I didn't purposely do that whole "crap-sup" technique of brightening the color to make the afters look better. the camera is set to automatic, and I guess the lighting was different or something. Also, I realize I changed the pose slightly, which I'l be sure not to do again. Also, from here on out I expect to have an actual camera for the pics.

    P.S. I saved these images to 2.5 inches, and still they came out this big. Anyone know how I can reduce the size??

    Pre-gym


    Post-gym
    You consider 10 reps of 225 on bench to be low weight? Wow dude, you must be pretty strong. I don't know what the hell is wrong with my bench press, because I am pretty sure I can't knock ten out at 225, epsecially after all those reps.
    ...GMG760 Version 2.0 ... Back from the dead.
  14. Registered User
    ThisGuy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,006
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by GMG760 View Post
    You consider 10 reps of 225 on bench to be low weight? Wow dude, you must be pretty strong. I don't know what the hell is wrong with my bench press, because I am pretty sure I can't knock ten out at 225, epsecially after all those reps.
    Thanks! I do have a few excercises where I think I'm pretty strong. Bench is probably my best. On heavy days I can usually crank out 3 sets of 4-6 reps at 275lb. And shrugs, which I mentioned I can usually do 6-8 @ 405.

    Also, I think my curls are pretty good, particularly DB, where I go heavy with 3 sets of 6 reps at 45-50lb, with good form, and the preacher machine where I do 3 set/6 reps @ 150lb.
  15. Registered User
    ThisGuy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,006
    Answers
    0

    Let's get this party started!




    Alright, so this is Day 1. I'm not off to the best start, because I skipped cardio this morning, but I was out of town working all weekend and I just flew back in last night, so I was way too tired. I've also got something tomorrow morning first thing, so I'm goin to have to push my cardio to the evening. Got chest tonight and I won't be skipping that!

    So I took my first dose of AP and Recreate this morning, waited 30 minutes, then ate...yeah, I won't be doing that again. Not a bad feeling, just a little weird. But once I ate, everything was right on. Looks like I'm one of those 15 minute dose people.

    This evening (or early tomorrow morning) I'll post my workout and meal stats, but here are my initial measurements, taken upon rising this morning:

    Neck: 16.5"
    Chest: 44"
    Shoulders: 51"
    Biceps (unflexed): 14.25"
    Biceps (flexed): 16"
    Forearm: 12.25"
    Waist: 36.5" (What the f#*k??? I thought the 34 pant size was my actual waist size???)
    Hip: 39"
    Thigh: 22"
    Calf: 15"
  16. Registered User
    ThisGuy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,006
    Answers
    0


    Anabolic dump? Oh, I get it now!!!! (me on the way to the batheroom: )

    Oh well, time spent on the toilet is usually time well spent in my book.
  17. Registered User
    GMG760's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  209 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,709
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ThisGuy2 View Post
    Anabolic dump? Oh, I get it now!!!! (me on the way to the batheroom: )

    Oh well, time spent on the toilet is usually time well spent in my book.
    Yea dude, I make a run for the bathroom about halfway through my breakfast EVERY time I take AP. Kinda weird... figure I've gotta be losing some weight though .

    And welcome to the wonderful world of American clothing that is oversized to fit all of our fat asses and make us feel better about ourselves.

    If we went by pant sizes I am a 31. My waist measurement was 34 inches week 1... go figure. I had the exact same issue.

    I think the fast food companies have something to do with it.
    ...GMG760 Version 2.0 ... Back from the dead.
  18. Registered User
    ThisGuy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,006
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by GMG760 View Post
    Yea dude, I make a run for the bathroom about halfway through my breakfast EVERY time I take AP. Kinda weird... figure I've gotta be losing some weight though .

    And welcome to the wonderful world of American clothing that is oversized to fit all of our fat asses and make us feel better about ourselves.

    If we went by pant sizes I am a 31. My waist measurement was 34 inches week 1... go figure. I had the exact same issue.

    I think the fast food companies have something to do with it.
    Aha! So it's a conspiracy.

    Well, my fat ass is going to pay dearly for that measurement, I can assure you!
  19. Registered User
    ThisGuy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,006
    Answers
    0


    Alright, here's workout and diet stats for day 1. It's going to take me a while to get used to this, but I'm enjoying it. I'm pleased with the carbs and protein I got for such moderate calories. I wouldn't mind getting a few more g of protein in there, though. I'll have to maybe tweak things a little. Usually I have double the amount of eggs, but on Non-workout days I'll be skipping the post-workout and bedtime shakes, so that' goign to bring the totals down. Tricky, tricky.

    Workout was INTENSE today. I nearly threw up, but I got a killer pump, and my chest is definitely feeling it.

    initial impressions on the stack: still too early to tell about he AP, though my pump was nice. Definitely felt the recreate, though. I haven't wanted sweets all day, which is EXTREMELY strange for me.

    Chest and Back Workout:

    Smith Bench
    2 x 20 @ 135lb
    2 x 12 @225lb
    1 x 6 @ 275lb (Finish w/ partial reps)

    Incline
    3 x 10 @ 185lb (Finish w/ partial reps)

    Decline
    2 x 10 @ 205lb (Finish w/ partial reps)

    Lat pulldown / Straight-arm pulldown supers
    3 x 10 @ 120lb / 50lb

    1 Arm Rows
    3 x 6 @ 75lb

    Stiff-leg Deads
    3 x 12 @ 40lb

    Pushup Tri-set (Incline 10 / Flat 10 / Decline 10)

    Diet: Day's totals - 143g carbs / 1,909 calories / 170g protein)

    Breakfast (Total 29g carbs / 388 calories / 14g protein)
    2 Eggs over-easy (fried w/ PAM, not oil) – 0g / 160 / 14g
    2 whole grain waffles w/ smart balance and sugar-free syrup – 28g / 228 / 0g

    Mid-Morning Meal (Total: 23.5g carbs / 190 cals / 16g protein)
    Whey Protein shake – 3 / 120 / 24
    ½ cup corn – 20.5 / 70 / 3

    Lunch (Total: 10g carbs / 350 cals / 32g protein)
    Spinach Salad w/ grilled chicken breast, red onion, red bell pepper, cucumber, tomato and artichoke hearts, dressed w/ balsamic vinegar and 1tbsp. olive oil

    Pre-Workout (Total: 40g carbs / 342 cals / 22g protein)
    1 cup Brown Rice – 40 / 210 / 4
    Lean pork chop au poivre – 0 / 132 / 18

    Post-Workout Whey Protein shake – 3 / 120 / 24

    Dinner (Total: 38g carbs / 409 cals / 38g protein
    Chicken stir-fry - 10 / 335 / 32
    Cold Soba noodle salad - 24 / 153 / 6
    Side salad - 4 / 50 / 0

    Bedtime Casein Protein Shake – 3 / 110 / 24
  20. Registered User
    thundergod's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,030
    Answers
    0


    Subbed bro! Those Bench numbers are looking good man. I think that's very strong for your bodyweight! You've got a great foundation to work with. Give it Hela dude!! THE THUNDERGOD
  21. Registered User
    ThisGuy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,006
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by thundergod View Post
    Subbed bro! Those Bench numbers are looking good man. I think that's very strong for your bodyweight! You've got a great foundation to work with. Give it Hela dude!! THE THUNDERGOD

    Many thanks, brothaman! I appreciate it greatly!

    275 has been the wall for the last couple of months, so I think I'm going to use that 2.5lb plate technique to start breaking through the plateau. I'd like to get where I can hit 300lb 3 or 4 times. Of course, with my current routine varying from week to week, I'll be on bells next week and not a bar until the week after, but I'm definitely going to work those little suckers in then.
  22. Registered User
    ThisGuy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,006
    Answers
    0


    No weight training today, just HIIT in the morning and abs. Here’s my diet:

    Diet: Day's totals - 128g carbs / 1,726 calories / 158.2g protein)

    Breakfast (Total 60g carbs / 470 calories / 39g protein)
    Breakfast burrito on whole wheat tortilla w/ cheese - 23 / 250 / 26
    Oatmeal – 24 / 130 / 4
    Milk – 13 / 90 / 9

    Mid-Morning Meal (Total: 16g carbs / 175 cals / 26g protein)
    Whey Protein shake – 3 / 120 / 24
    Carrots and celery – 13 / 55 / 2

    Lunch (Total: 10g carbs / 350 cals / 32g protein)
    Whole wheat couscous salad w/ scallops – 45 / 330 / 28
    Blueberries - 10 / 21 / 0

    Pre-Workout (Total: 22g carbs / 250 cals / 23g protein)
    Salad w/ Chicken breast coldcut – 15 / 220 / 23
    Green apple – 7 / 30 / 0

    Dinner (Total: 20g carbs / 481 cals / 38.2g protein
    Turkey burger lettuce wrap (stuffed w/ artichokes and low-fat gorgonzola) – 2 / 400 / 35
    Sweet potato French fries (baked) – 12.4 / 54 / 1.2
    Broccoli and Cauliflower – 5.6 / 27 / 2
  23. Registered User
    ThisGuy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,006
    Answers
    0


    Well, I've been slacking on updating. I think I was a little over-ambitious in terms of information. I've continued to track carb, protein and caloric intake, but it's damn boring transcribing it, and I don't really think anyone's interested in reading it from day to day. Suffice it to say I'm staying in the range of 120g carbs daily (though I've switched to 2 carb meals w/ AP, from 3...I was getting some bloat around the middle and I didn't care for it), 1600-2000 cals, and 150-180g protein. Once I switched the number of carb meals to two, I noticed my stomach flatten down a bit more. The pumps are starting to come in nice after my workouts, and the Recreate really has curbed my cravings for junkfood...which is great, because I love sweets.

    Anyway, here are my workouts:
    Wednesday was shoulders, which is always one of my favorites.

    Lateral Raise (warmup) 2 x 20 @ 15lb

    Behind-the-neck Barbell Press 4 x 8 @ 145lb

    Lateral Raise 3 x 10 @ 20lb

    Bent-over Lateral Raise 3 x 12 @ 15lb

    1-arm Lateral raise (down the rack) 8 @ 40lb, 8 @ 30lb, 8 @ 20lb, 8 @ 10lb

    BB Shrug 3 x 12 @ 225lb



    And today was arms! I did a really high-rep, high intensity workout that I like for the purpose of mixing things up.

    Multi-grip Bicep Tri-set 3x (this KILLS your arms!)
    -1-Arm Zottman curls 10 @ 15lb
    -1-Arm DB Preacher curls 10 @ 15lb
    -1-Arm DB Preacher Hammer curls 10 @ 15lb

    Brachialis X-rep tri-set
    -8 @ 25lb (x-rep pulse to finish)
    -6 @ 15lb
    -6 (reached failure) @ 10lb (w. Double X overload pulse)

    DB Hammer Skullcrushers 3 x 10 @ 40lb

    Superset
    -Close-grip bench 3 x 12 @ 135lb
    -Overhead DB extension 3 x 10 @ 45lb
  24. Registered User
    ThisGuy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,006
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by GMG760 View Post
    Sweet man. Don't sweat the front squats and lunges, I think I got kinda overzealous with you if you are just starting legs... just try one or the other.

    Focus on your forearms, just do it on a day after your arm workout... mine is my last for the week because you incorporate your forearms in so much of the other workouts. That being said, strong forearms will lead to strong grip which leads to strong lifting. Deadlifts will help your forearms, but I recommend doing reverse curls and wrist curls as well. You don't want a big upper arm with a tiny little stick sticking out of it. Plus when you have strong grip strength you can do a lot more with deads and shrugs and bent over rows etc. It is also a plus to be able to grab someone and throttle them in you have to ... and that is ALL forearm.
    Alright G-money, I just go back from my first leg day in about 6 months, and I'm feelin' good after following your advice (and workout)! My legs are kinda like jelly, but I dig it. And I don't htink I did half bad. I was even able to figure out a way to do leg presses without the machine. My apartment building has a fairly well-stocked gym, but no press machine. So, instead I laid on my back on the floor under the smith and pressed the bar. I had to keep the weight low to be safe, but it did the trick. I could always go to my actual gym (used to be Average Joe's, but has since been taken over by Globogym), but it's tough to get there when you have most everything you need right in your building.

    Anyway, here's the workout:

    Quad Extensions (warmup) 2 sets of 20 @ 50lb

    Squates
    1 x 20 @ 135lb (warmup)
    1 x 12 @ 225lb
    1 x 10 @ 255lb
    1 x 8 @ 275lb

    Leg Press 3 x 12 @ 185lb

    Romanian Deadlift 3 x 12 @ 75lb

    Walking Lunges (DB) 3 x 12(steps) w/ 15lb bells

    Calve raises
    2 x 20 @ 225lb
    2 x 10 @ 275lb

    Forgot to get a picture, but I will after the pump goes down, then I'll get another at the end of the 4 weeks to compare.
  25. Registered User
    GMG760's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  209 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,709
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ThisGuy2 View Post
    Alright G-money, I just go back from my first leg day in about 6 months, and I'm feelin' good after following your advice (and workout)! My legs are kinda like jelly, but I dig it. And I don't htink I did half bad. I was even able to figure out a way to do leg presses without the machine. My apartment building has a fairly well-stocked gym, but no press machine. So, instead I laid on my back on the floor under the smith and pressed the bar. I had to keep the weight low to be safe, but it did the trick. I could always go to my actual gym (used to be Average Joe's, but has since been taken over by Globogym), but it's tough to get there when you have most everything you need right in your building.

    Anyway, here's the workout:

    Quad Extensions (warmup) 2 sets of 20 @ 50lb

    Squates
    1 x 20 @ 135lb (warmup)
    1 x 12 @ 225lb
    1 x 10 @ 255lb
    1 x 8 @ 275lb

    Leg Press 3 x 12 @ 185lb

    Romanian Deadlift 3 x 12 @ 75lb

    Walking Lunges (DB) 3 x 12(steps) w/ 15lb bells

    Calve raises
    2 x 20 @ 225lb
    2 x 10 @ 275lb

    Forgot to get a picture, but I will after the pump goes down, then I'll get another at the end of the 4 weeks to compare.
    Right on man! Glad to see you getting those squats. Interesting use of the smith press... lol.

    Have you done much RDL before?
    ...GMG760 Version 2.0 ... Back from the dead.
  26. Registered User
    ThisGuy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,006
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by GMG760 View Post
    Right on man! Glad to see you getting those squats. Interesting use of the smith press... lol.

    Have you done much RDL before?
    Yeah, I also don't have a Tri-extensions station, but I do have a lat pulldown bar, so what I do is I stand up on the seat (which thankfully is wide) facing the other way, and that's how I do extensions!

    Now that you mention it, I used to do them all the time when I played football, but that was like 12 or 13 years ago (damn... wish I hadn't done that little calculation), so it's safe to say I've been out of practice. I also used to squat in the 400lb range. I'm sure as I continue I'll be able to steadily increase poundage all around. Did a number on the dubs this week, I'll tell you. Yesterday was bad, but this morning was really rough. I definitely had to skip morning cardio today. I'll be back at it tomorrow, though. And after this Saturday my legs will be a little more forgiving than they've been the past 2 days. :squat:
  27. Registered User
    GMG760's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  209 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,709
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ThisGuy2 View Post
    Yeah, I also don't have a Tri-extensions station, but I do have a lat pulldown bar, so what I do is I stand up on the seat (which thankfully is wide) facing the other way, and that's how I do extensions!

    Now that you mention it, I used to do them all the time when I played football, but that was like 12 or 13 years ago (damn... wish I hadn't done that little calculation), so it's safe to say I've been out of practice. I also used to squat in the 400lb range. I'm sure as I continue I'll be able to steadily increase poundage all around. Did a number on the dubs this week, I'll tell you. Yesterday was bad, but this morning was really rough. I definitely had to skip morning cardio today. I'll be back at it tomorrow, though. And after this Saturday my legs will be a little more forgiving than they've been the past 2 days. :squat:
    It comes back to ya. I have to say that volume gets my legs better than just heavy weight does. I mean, going big gets em done, but the gnarliest leg day I have ever had was when a trainer got me an my buddy to try doing 10 sets of 10 with just 135. The first 5 sets were easy. The last five got more and more torturous. Around set 9 I wanted to start crying. I couldn't help but walk like I had been prison raped for a good 3 days.

    I like your intuition and creative use of what weights you have. Most people would just skip it rather than figure out a way to do it for themselves. Props and Reps.
    ...GMG760 Version 2.0 ... Back from the dead.
  28. Registered User
    GMG760's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  209 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,709
    Answers
    0


    Well, I will give you reps for that as soon as I spread some more around lol.
    ...GMG760 Version 2.0 ... Back from the dead.
  29. Registered User
    ThisGuy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,006
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by GMG760 View Post
    Well, I will give you reps for that as soon as I spread some more around lol.
    That's cool, same thing happened to me the other day. Thanks!

    I might want to try that 10 x 10 out. I do it on banch every couple of months and you're definitely right...it's a killer! You did it on squats and then skipped the rest of the workout?
  30. Registered User
    GMG760's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  209 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,709
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ThisGuy2 View Post
    That's cool, same thing happened to me the other day. Thanks!

    I might want to try that 10 x 10 out. I do it on banch every couple of months and you're definitely right...it's a killer! You did it on squats and then skipped the rest of the workout?
    I did it on squats and could barely walk out of the gym when I was done. Granted my wheels weren't what they are now, but I had NOTHING left in the tank.
    ...GMG760 Version 2.0 ... Back from the dead.
  31. Registered User
    ThisGuy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,006
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by GMG760 View Post
    I did it on squats and could barely walk out of the gym when I was done. Granted my wheels weren't what they are now, but I had NOTHING left in the tank.
    I'm going to give those a try next week, I think. Sounds like fun!
  32. Registered User
    ThisGuy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,006
    Answers
    0


    Alright, time for an update. Again, I had to skip cardio this morning. Legs were still sore from Saturday's leg workout, plus I was up later than I should've been. Oh well, had a nice chest workout yesterday and I've g Here's the lowdown:

    Incline Flyes
    1 x 20 @ 20lb
    3 x 8 @ 45lb

    Flyes
    3 x 20 @ 25lb

    DB Pullover
    3 x 12 @ 35lb

    Decline Bench
    3 x 10 @ 205lb

    Smith Machine Bench
    2 x 12 @ 135lb (finish each w/ partials to failure)
    1 X-pulse set to failure

    Notes on the supps:

    I'm definitely noticing a bit of a pump from the AP, but no fat loss so far that I can tell from the Recreate. It has been keeping my app in check, thought yesterday (Monday) I already bumped it up to 2 caps each dose, both AM and PM. Measurements and pcis to come on Monday.
  33. Registered User
    GMG760's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  209 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,709
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ThisGuy2 View Post
    Alright, time for an update. Again, I had to skip cardio this morning. Legs were still sore from Saturday's leg workout, plus I was up later than I should've been. Oh well, had a nice chest workout yesterday and I've g Here's the lowdown:

    Incline Flyes
    1 x 20 @ 20lb
    3 x 8 @ 45lb

    Flyes
    3 x 20 @ 25lb

    DB Pullover
    3 x 12 @ 35lb

    Decline Bench
    3 x 10 @ 205lb

    Smith Machine Bench
    2 x 12 @ 135lb (finish each w/ partials to failure)
    1 X-pulse set to failure

    Notes on the supps:

    I'm definitely noticing a bit of a pump from the AP, but no fat loss so far that I can tell from the Recreate. It has been keeping my app in check, thought yesterday (Monday) I already bumped it up to 2 caps each dose, both AM and PM. Measurements and pcis to come on Monday.
    That is quite an interesting chest workout.
    ...GMG760 Version 2.0 ... Back from the dead.
  34. Registered User
    TimberLakers's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,388
    Answers
    0


    Subbed.
  35. Registered User
    GMG760's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  209 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,709
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by TimberLakers View Post
    Subbed.
    Well the prettyboy finally shows up...
    ...GMG760 Version 2.0 ... Back from the dead.
  36. Registered User
    ThisGuy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,006
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by TimberLakers View Post
    Subbed.
    Thanks!
  37. Registered User
    ThisGuy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,006
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by GMG760 View Post
    That is quite an interesting chest workout.
    I like to mix it up every single week. I'd have to check my notebook, but I think next week involves various DB presses employing drop sets for the final set of each excercise (flat, incline and decline). Sometimes I do the flye pre-exhaust as a super (ie: each set start with 12 reps on flye and go directly into a Smith press).
  38. Registered User
    TimberLakers's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,388
    Answers
    0


    Pretty boys unite!
  39. Registered User
    ThisGuy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,006
    Answers
    0


    Alright, time for an update!

    Some quick impressions:
    AP - My muscles feel a bit denser than usual, and I'm really enjoying the pumps I'm getting from it. I've revamped my carb intake once again, still incorporating Timberlakers 2 daily approach, but only on non-workout days. I'm back up to 3 daily on workout days, but I've lowered the amount of carbs I'm consuming on the first and last meal, and keeping only the pre-workout meal in the 40-60g range. Haven't measured my stomach yet, so I don't know for sure how it's working, but we'll know on Monday.

    Recreate - my appetite has leveled off to something near normal, though it is still having some effect, because if not for it, the AP combined w/ elevated test from TTE would probably have me ravenous. Not really seeing too much in the way of fat loss, but the thermogenic effect is crazy. Every time I step in the gym I'm sweating buckets, even for a few hours after. Plus, I keep waking up sweaty. Even, clean energy too.

    Planning on the next big thing, as you guys who are subbed already know. I'm excited about it, because I'm going into a cut phase where I'm altering my diet significantly, going much lower carb, reducing calories a bit more, and increasing my protein. I think that after 4 weeks of increased carb consumption, it might be just the thing I needed to trigger some new fat loss...plus the products I've got lined up for those 4 weeks oughta help a bit.

    Excercise notes before I get into last night's workout: I did cardio yesterday morning and cardio today, but no HIIT. My legs are still sore (damn you Garrett!!!!). They felt better yesterday, and better still today, but they are sore, even after just an hour of low intesnsity cardio. I want them fresh for my leg workout on Saturday, so I'm just going to go low intensity tomorrow too, and I expect next week to be a little more normal after I get a second leg day in. They're definitely feeling fuller, I can tell you that much.

    On to last night's workout...shoulder day! I love working my shoulders, and yesterday was my week to focus on rear delts. Here's the workout:

    Upright Rows (wide grip) - warmup
    3 x 20 @ 75lb

    Bent-over DB lateral raise - warmup
    2 x 15 @ 10lb

    1-arm bent-over DB lateral raise
    3 x 8 @ 30lb

    Reverse pec-deck
    3 x 12 @ 50lb (down the rack on the last set)

    Smith machine overhead press
    3 x 12 @ 135lb

    Front DB raises (alternating grips: 1st pronated, 2nd hammer, 3rd supinated)
    3 x 10 @ 25lb, 20lb, 15lb (Finish w/ partials on final/supinated set w/ 15lb)

    DB Shrugs
    3 x 12 @ 75lb

    More cardio tomorrow morning, and then arms tomorrow night!
  40. Registered User
    TimberLakers's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,388
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ThisGuy2 View Post
    Alright, time for an update!

    Some quick impressions:
    AP - My muscles feel a bit denser than usual, and I'm really enjoying the pumps I'm getting from it. I've revamped my carb intake once again, still incorporating Timberlakers 2 daily approach, but only on non-workout days. I'm back up to 3 daily on workout days, but I've lowered the amount of carbs I'm consuming on the first and last meal, and keeping only the pre-workout meal in the 40-60g range. Haven't measured my stomach yet, so I don't know for sure how it's working, but we'll know on Monday.

    Recreate - my appetite has leveled off to something near normal, though it is still having some effect, because if not for it, the AP combined w/ elevated test from TTE would probably have me ravenous. Not really seeing too much in the way of fat loss, but the thermogenic effect is crazy. Every time I step in the gym I'm sweating buckets, even for a few hours after. Plus, I keep waking up sweaty. Even, clean energy too.

    Planning on the next big thing, as you guys who are subbed already know. I'm excited about it, because I'm going into a cut phase where I'm altering my diet significantly, going much lower carb, reducing calories a bit more, and increasing my protein. I think that after 4 weeks of increased carb consumption, it might be just the thing I needed to trigger some new fat loss...plus the products I've got lined up for those 4 weeks oughta help a bit.

    Excercise notes before I get into last night's workout: I did cardio yesterday morning and cardio today, but no HIIT. My legs are still sore (damn you Garrett!!!!). They felt better yesterday, and better still today, but they are sore, even after just an hour of low intesnsity cardio. I want them fresh for my leg workout on Saturday, so I'm just going to go low intensity tomorrow too, and I expect next week to be a little more normal after I get a second leg day in. They're definitely feeling fuller, I can tell you that much.

    On to last night's workout...shoulder day! I love working my shoulders, and yesterday was my week to focus on rear delts. Here's the workout:

    Upright Rows (wide grip) - warmup
    3 x 20 @ 75lb

    Bent-over DB lateral raise - warmup
    2 x 15 @ 10lb

    1-arm bent-over DB lateral raise
    3 x 8 @ 30lb

    Reverse pec-deck
    3 x 12 @ 50lb (down the rack on the last set)

    Smith machine overhead press
    3 x 12 @ 135lb

    Front DB raises (alternating grips: 1st pronated, 2nd hammer, 3rd supinated)
    3 x 10 @ 25lb, 20lb, 15lb (Finish w/ partials on final/supinated set w/ 15lb)

    DB Shrugs
    3 x 12 @ 75lb

    More cardio tomorrow morning, and then arms tomorrow night!

    Man, I can't even do cardio... Or box because of this dam* ankle... But I can still lift like a mother!

    I like how I now have an approach! What kinds of carbs are you using? I think the easiest dinner is still the 12'' Subway double turkey... its just about perfect.. maybe add a small single scoop whey shake as a supplement. I eat half the sub for dinner, then leave the other half for a meal the next day.

    Come to think of it, I can't even do legs tonight. Guess I'll be reverting to chest... Then tomorrow - SHOULDERS!!!
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Anabolic pump and Recreate
    By brian101883 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 01:51 PM
  2. recreate and anabolic pump or lev R with dcp
    By Gym4Life in forum Supplements
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-01-2008, 10:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in