Page 7 of 9 First ... 256789 Last
  1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.42%

Quote Originally Posted by thetinyguy View Post
    Thanks, i would say it's more of a time consuming process. My flaw is i don't fluctuate my calories when dieting which is what works the best so far. High calorie day followed by a lower one and consistently changing my intake without a 500-800 calorie range. I notice fat comes off faster with it, I've got frank zane's book and i've been applying some of his principles since he came in shredded!

I like both approaches but i wouldn't let it get out of hand like i did the first time, the strength gains are crazy so i would say it has it's merit but the sacrifice is time for cutting. I'm going to add slowly this winter and see how it goes, all while making consistent progress weight/reps wise, pretty much spent the entire summer re learning all my form and now it's dialed in. Now comes the weight!
    Its go time!

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.74%

7/30/12

Attachment 64408

8/18/12

Attachment 64409

Not sure on weight but definitely improvements!

Great job bud!!
  3. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.96%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I would take the "bulk" slow by slowly increasing calories. increase them too fast coming off a cut like 500 over and fat gain very well may occur. I up to by 200 and adjust from there
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.42%

i "bulk" slowly
  5. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by John Smeton View Post
    I would take the "bulk" slow by slowly increasing calories. increase them too fast coming off a cut like 500 over and fat gain very well may occur. I up to by 200 and adjust from there
    I agree and judging from my past starting day of bulking my carbs were WAYYYYYY too low. I mean i had about 600-700 and the next day i looked a good 10lbs heavier but actually dropped 2lbs. (unfortunately yesterday i got really sick from idk what and barely got anything in FML) Felt it today during the workout i got fatigued faster but my strength was up a good amount.

Quote Originally Posted by jiggamanbill View Post
    i "bulk" slowly
    I'm doing this as well, the biggest difference has to be that i'm training body parts every 4-5 days now so i'm burning a lot more calories so i think that in itself will prevent a lot of excess fat gain. So far just by increasing my calories to around 4k i've noticed i've gotten leaner/stronger and i look bigger. So with that said my chest/back look a LOT more fuller/bigger. Legs have improved and delts as well. I'm training most bodyparts in the 5-12 rep range right now so i can focus on strength more than anything but the difference is that i am using mind/muscle style squeezing so i am CONTRACTING for 5-12 reps rather than just moving weight.

On hammer strength high row i hit 4 plates + 10Lbs each side for 6 slow reps new pr, on low hammer strength row i hit 2 plates + 75lbs each side for 5-6 reps. I haven't trained back heavy in a long time so i'm excited. Also getting sets of 8 reps on pullups with my toes behind me on a box for a very small amount of assist. Really satisfied with how today went considering i was depleted as hell, (lost 4lbs over the last sick day) i still look better though so those carbs from day 1 must have stuck with me.

Today going for 6-7 meals and around 4000 calories, lowering my protein intake because the last day i had about 250 and had THE WORST GAS EVER. Obviously it wasn't all needed. maybe 200 grams will suffice with around 700 carbs. Right now post workout at about 320 grams of carbs and feeling/looking really good except the bloat from the food/post workout shake.

Will keep you guys updated!

Also i'm doing around 2-3 sets per exercise for a total of 13-15 sets for back and 7 sets for bi's.

THE POWERHOUSE ALSO HAS THIS AMAZING MACHINE CALLED THE GRIPPER, I've used it for 1 workout and i already notice a huge difference in my grip strength. I love this thing! It's plate loaded as well.
    I hope everybody thinks i'm crazy, because you cannot be a sane person and go through the type of pain i am willing to put myself through to be where i want to be, Once I completely win the war between my mind and body, my reign will begin. ~Me
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.74%

Agreed!!

i like doing a lean bulk and put on less but solid weight, than doing a dirty and putting on tons of **** weight lol
  7. Team Anabolic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.21%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkypinoy61 View Post
    Agreed!!

i like doing a lean bulk and put on less but solid weight, than doing a dirty and putting on tons of **** weight lol
    I think a lot of people are doing this now. Several years ago people were dirty bulking and adding tons of size, but having to diet for longer to get all the fat off they gained from eating so much.

Slow gains = leaner gains.

8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.42%

Quote Originally Posted by UNCnate View Post
    I think a lot of people are doing this now. Several years ago people were dirty bulking and adding tons of size, but having to diet for longer to get all the fat off they gained from eating so much.

slow gains = leaner gains and = mentaly success!

I think it would kill me to get sloppy
  9. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%

I am going to eat everything in sight this winter, I plan to hit some numbers with my deadlift and squat. Also looking to really improve my military press and decline bench press. Over the past few days i've filled out a ton but i seem to be dropping more fat. I'm perfectly contempt with this though! Strength is up too
    I hope everybody thinks i'm crazy, because you cannot be a sane person and go through the type of pain i am willing to put myself through to be where i want to be, Once I completely win the war between my mind and body, my reign will begin. ~Me
  10. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%

I also might end up leaner and bigger after this "bulk" as well. My metabolism has been picking up like crazy, i can't seem to get enough food in!
  11. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%

Lastly, i am in love with training 2x a week INTENSELY. I plan to have a back off week every 6 weeks though pretty much a small deload week then hit it hard again.
  12. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.42%

I also might end up leaner and bigger after this "bulk" as well. My metabolism has been picking up like crazy, i can't seem to get enough food in!

great problem to have!
  13. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.96%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by UNCnate View Post
    I think a lot of people are doing this now. Several years ago people were dirty bulking and adding tons of size, but having to diet for longer to get all the fat off they gained from eating so much. Its hard to get it off and takes a lot more out of a person during a contest prep or hard cutting peroid

yup this seems to be the normal now. I used to do it the old way, not anymore-I like staying lean as it feels much better.

slow gains = leaner gains and = mentaly success!

I think it would kill me to get sloppy
    I think a person can do it more as a beginner and in their twenties, I would call it sloppy just "normal" body fat.

I am going to eat everything in sight this winter, I plan to hit some numbers with my deadlift and squat. Also looking to really improve my military press and decline bench press. Over the past few days i've filled out a ton but i seem to be dropping more fat. I'm perfectly contempt with this though! Strength is up too
    its common for this to happen up to a month after coming off a reduced calorie intake and dropping weight /bodyfat. Keep up the intense work, it has paid off for you
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  14. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%

Today was the last straw, i went to train chest and my shoulder started bothering me from the get go even with light weights. Trained tri's light but decided i am taking a straight week off. I am showing a lot of signs of over-training for the first time and from review of my log book it's been 12+ weeks since i have had one off to let my connective tissue heal. I have made great strength gains and i believe this week off i will grow and be ready to kill it again. I also have had the over training symptom of wanting to sleep a lot longer, i usually can wake up easily off of 7-8 hours but lately i have been sleeping up to 12+ hours not feeling refreshed. I also have been eating TONS OF FOOD too so i haven't been "under-eating" My body is achey as well, I've really been pushing hard these past few weeks and made some great progress but it's time to take that step back, take a breath and get going again. My legs seem to be the only thing not giving me trouble but that's understandable since they can take all the abuse. No knee problems at all either. My last leg session i did the hack squat machine doing from just at the half point to 3/4 up keeping tension on the quads the entire time and hit a huge PR of 3 plates per side for 50 pain ravaging reps. They have been twitchy the past days now haha

Anyways this week off i am going to continue eating a good amount and try to gain a pound or two taking advantage of this "supercompensation" period for my body.
  15. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%

yup this seems to be the normal now. I used to do it the old way, not anymore-I like staying lean as it feels much better.

I think a person can do it more as a beginner and in their twenties, I would call it sloppy just "normal" body fat.

its common for this to happen up to a month after coming off a reduced calorie intake and dropping weight /bodyfat. Keep up the intense work, it has paid off for you
    Definitely because i did notice my muscles "pop" out more specifically my chest. Thanks man i'm pushing hard, hopefully after this week off i'll be back on track.
  16. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.42%

Today was the last straw, i went to train chest and my shoulder started bothering me from the get go even with light weights. Trained tri's light but decided i am taking a straight week off. I am showing a lot of signs of over-training for the first time and from review of my log book it's been 12+ weeks since i have had one off to let my connective tissue heal. I have made great strength gains and i believe this week off i will grow and be ready to kill it again. I also have had the over training symptom of wanting to sleep a lot longer, i usually can wake up easily off of 7-8 hours but lately i have been sleeping up to 12+ hours not feeling refreshed. I also have been eating TONS OF FOOD too so i haven't been "under-eating" My body is achey as well, I've really been pushing hard these past few weeks and made some great progress but it's time to take that step back, take a breath and get going again. My legs seem to be the only thing not giving me trouble but that's understandable since they can take all the abuse. No knee problems at all either. My last leg session i did the hack squat machine doing from just at the half point to 3/4 up keeping tension on the quads the entire time and hit a huge PR of 3 plates per side for 50 pain ravaging reps. They have been twitchy the past days now haha

Anyways this week off i am going to continue eating a good amount and try to gain a pound or two taking advantage of this "supercompensation" period for my body.
    sorry to hear about the pain...but good to know you are listening to your body
  17. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%

sorry to hear about the pain...but good to know you are listening to your body

Yeah, if it persists after a week off i'm going to go have it checked out and see a sports physician. The thing is it's always been nagging but not too bad. I feel like after i started overhead pressing again it flared up.
  18. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%

So today i went in to do some legs since i'm not doing any upper body stuff and had a sick session. I'm thinking of ditching the safety bar though since it pulls me way too far forward and since i'm tall it becomes a lot of force pulling me forward. When i use low bar i may be a little uncomfortable but i feel a lot more stable and in control. My Romanian Deadlift is now at 225 x 20 most of the reps were constant tension no lockout. Was pretty easy considering i struggled with 17 reps last time. Did another set of 245 x 15 pretty easily but was pretty wiped out after this. Traps had an insane pump too! No bad pain today in shoulder, looking back i was perfectly fine UNTIL i added in overhead pressing. As far as everything else it was ok. I'm considering going back to a 1x every 6 days split to yield more recovery. Last thing i want to do is hurt my shoulder. Also the past 4 days i've been recovering like crazy i've gained a solid 4lbs and strength increased greatly. With that said i think i will do a set up like this next.

Day 1: Shoulders
    Day 2: Back
    Day 3: Chest
    Day 4: Arms
    Day 5: Legs (Low Bar Squat & Romanian Dead-lifts)
    Day 6: Off
    Day 7: Off if needed or Repeat.

With this split i should make great progress, I know some guys will be like deads and squat same day?? But when i do low bar i get a lot less lower back strain so i will still be strong on the Romanian deads which i am aiming for 15-20 reps. I'm not going to do conventional dead lift just because the Romanians are giving me what i want as far as development and i am not doing a power lifting meet. My conventional dead lift should improve anyways with the better i get at Romanians (this is what brought my deadlift up almost 100lbs from 315 --> 405 for more reps with no direct conventional training) Plus i like the feel of Romanians better, call me a princess but i like the less shin scraping and i feel like i am in more control. My goal is to build up my back/hams a LOT. On back day i'm focusing 70% of my training on rows and middle back with the rest from Pull-ups and high hammer strength row. I'm really pump'd for this new set-up since i'm pretty much keeping all the exercises i have but i want to focus on basics and not too much technical blah blah. Sets will be taken to full range failure then i will do partials. I should be able to get 2-3 HARD work sets per body part. Goal will be to gain 2Lbs per week steady and increase my strength accordingly.

Goals for winter:
    Chest: 100Lb Dumbbell Press Flat and Slight Incline
    Back: T-Bar Row 225Lb with control
    Shoulders: Seated Shoulder Press 155Lbs (Build some Overhead Power)
    Legs: Low bar Squat 355-405Lbs, 315-365Lb RDL x 15-20 Reps
    Arms: Straight Bar Curl 100Lbs, Close Grip Smith Press 225Lbs

I'm keeping my goals within reach and once i achieve them they will change accordingly
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.74%

So today i went in to do some legs since i'm not doing any upper body stuff and had a sick session. I'm thinking of ditching the safety bar though since it pulls me way too far forward and since i'm tall it becomes a lot of force pulling me forward. When i use low bar i may be a little uncomfortable but i feel a lot more stable and in control. My Romanian Deadlift is now at 225 x 20 most of the reps were constant tension no lockout. Was pretty easy considering i struggled with 17 reps last time. Did another set of 245 x 15 pretty easily but was pretty wiped out after this. Traps had an insane pump too! No bad pain today in shoulder, looking back i was perfectly fine UNTIL i added in overhead pressing. As far as everything else it was ok. I'm considering going back to a 1x every 6 days split to yield more recovery. Last thing i want to do is hurt my shoulder. Also the past 4 days i've been recovering like crazy i've gained a solid 4lbs and strength increased greatly. With that said i think i will do a set up like this next.

With this split i should make great progress, I know some guys will be like deads and squat same day?? But when i do low bar i get a lot less lower back strain so i will still be strong on the Romanian deads which i am aiming for 15-20 reps. I'm not going to do conventional dead lift just because the Romanians are giving me what i want as far as development and i am not doing a power lifting meet. My conventional dead lift should improve anyways with the better i get at Romanians (this is what brought my deadlift up almost 100lbs from 315 --> 405 for more reps with no direct conventional training) Plus i like the feel of Romanians better, call me a princess but i like the less shin scraping and i feel like i am in more control. My goal is to build up my back/hams a LOT. On back day i'm focusing 70% of my training on rows and middle back with the rest from Pull-ups and high hammer strength row. I'm really pump'd for this new set-up since i'm pretty much keeping all the exercises i have but i want to focus on basics and not too much technical blah blah. Sets will be taken to full range failure then i will do partials. I should be able to get 2-3 HARD work sets per body part. Goal will be to gain 2Lbs per week steady and increase my strength accordingly.

Goals for winter:

I'm keeping my goals within reach and once i achieve them they will change accordingly
    Yeahh buddyyy

Get those goals done!!
  20. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.42%

Yeah, if it persists after a week off i'm going to go have it checked out and see a sports physician. The thing is it's always been nagging but not too bad. I feel like after i started overhead pressing again it flared up.
    I think we all have those certain lifts that tweak our muscles / tendons and cause us pain.... sucks!
  21. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.42%

Goals for winter:

GREAT goals! Now go get it
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.64%

Nice bro, it's not often you see people set definitive goals for themselves...awesome. I'm definitely pulling for you bro, get rested then go FSU!!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/252210-greens-climb-top.html#post4548443
  23. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.96%

if you have clear cut goals you go further than 95% of people

whats that deadlift up to now Nick?
  24. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%

Yeahh buddyyy

Get those goals done!!
    Working on it! Did back today T-Bar row 180 x 10 but couldn't get the handle pinned to lower abdomen, gonna work at it till i am strong enough. Started doing seated cable row too which is AMAZING.

I think we all have those certain lifts that tweak our muscles / tendons and cause us pain.... sucks!
    Exactly, for me it seems to be bench press but tomorrow i will see.. I'm gonna start really really light and do decline first instead of after hammer strength flat/incline. Or i might just do dumbbell press now that i think about it, Today worked out amazing though i did a super intense 20 set back session. Felt really strong today back was popping out!
  25. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.67%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

its weird how some things bother some people and not others, decline barbell presses bother my shoulder but regular benches are fine........
  26. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%

if you have clear cut goals you go further than 95% of people

whats that deadlift up to now Nick?
    Right now my best with Romanians is currently 315 x 10, 245 x 15 and 225 x 20. Conv. Dead all time best is still 425 x 5.

I switched out conventional deads for Romanians because of the difference in way they target the muscles. Dorian Yates did them this way but he called them a "partial" deadlift almost. I look at them as a Romanian since it's literally safer and you can go heavier. The reason i chose to do them instead of conv is because in conv you rest at the bottom relieving the muscles of tension. I am not planning to do a powerlifting meet so for the sake of development the better option for me is romanian because A: They provide tension the entire movement with no rest between reps. B: They work the hamstrings very hard which is a problem area for 99% of bodybuilders. C: The traps/lower back also receive tension the entire time, perfect example was when i hit 225 x 20 my neck/back/legs/lungs were ON FIRE. It's like the 2nd most difficult high rep exercise next to squats. D: Not sure if it's 100% true but i bet 20 rep Romanians release TONS AND TONS of hormones throughout the body. I've done 20 rep sets of squats and been wiped out but the first time i did 20 rep romanians, i actually laid down on the gym floor because i felt like i was going to fall over and pass out. I look at it like this, a romanian technically is a bodybuilders deadlift because it just will work better (Development wise) for guys trying to bring up their hamstrings/lower back. Conv. Deads have their place but i just feel like from how much rom's built up my conv. deadlift that i was able to use less weight and still pull almost 100lbs heavier with 5x the reps with no direct deadlift work. While when i did just conventional deads all the time i was really struggling. Time will tell but on Friday i'll be aiming to try and hit 315 x 12 or so depending on how i feel which should be good because i am EATING ALL THE TIME LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mkretz View Post
    its weird how some things bother some people and not others, decline barbell presses bother my shoulder but regular benches are fine........
    I know right?? I TRIED to do swiss bar decline bench and it still bothered me. I am content with doing dips/db presses and pec deck the rest of my lifting career though because they obviously work

It's even more weird that i can overhead press now no problems but bench press hurts. Blahhh

Keep up the good work guys! Hopefully i won't wake up tomorrow another pound lighter haha
  27. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%

Quote Originally Posted by TurningGreen View Post
    Nice bro, it's not often you see people set definitive goals for themselves...awesome. I'm definitely pulling for you bro, get rested then go FSU!!

I'm pushing hard! I'm itchin so bad to hit those 100's on flat, today after that week off i felt really good on chest. If i would have started with DB press i'm pretty sure i could of gotten the 80's for 6-8 but got 70's x 6. My next chest workout will be DB press flat, DB press slight incline and pec-deck. Sounds deceptively simple but i plan to hit 4 working sets on DB presses/slight incline and then hit pec-deck with 10 sets with 45 seconds rest heavy as possible DESTROY the chest. I used it today for about 4-5 sets and it was bar-none the sickest exercise i've ever done (my work doesn't have one) It's 1000000x better than cable fly's because you can't cheat but you can focus so intensely on just the muscle.

BTW i'm at a PowerHouse now if i haven't told you guys
  28. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.96%

nice explanation of explaing why Dorian yates dead-lifts are the best for bodybuilders. I have done them and I do deads and rack dead, now a days in the same workout, and stiff leg deads, and there are two ways to do these
    1. its the regular way all the way down, with a stetch.

2. yates way- butt all the way out, and down to shins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtevN0SWp-o

either way works and I think its good to do what works best for you and switch exercises up sometimes
  29. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.42%

Working on it! Did back today T-Bar row 180 x 10 but couldn't get the handle pinned to lower abdomen, gonna work at it till i am strong enough. Started doing seated cable row too which is AMAZING.

Exactly, for me it seems to be bench press but tomorrow i will see.. I'm gonna start really really light and do decline first instead of after hammer strength flat/incline. Or i might just do dumbbell press now that i think about it, Today worked out amazing though i did a super intense 20 set back session. Felt really strong today back was popping out!
    i started doing some sets on the hammer machines to loosen up my muslces... seems to help
  30. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.74%

nice explanation of explaing why Dorian yates dead-lifts are the best for bodybuilders. I have done them and I do deads and rack dead, now a days in the same workout, and stiff leg deads, and there are two ways to do these

either way works and I think its good to do what works best for you and switch exercises up sometimes

Im always amazed at how good his form is when he rows 405lbs. Thats some crazy stuff
  31. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%

Definitely man that's what it is all about,

Here's the video at around 5:30 he does it and explains it, as ironic as this sounds i literally said the same thing about powerlifting. Makes me think.. i have the champions mind!

http://mdtv.musculardevelopment.com/...ktraining.html

i started doing some sets on the hammer machines to loosen up my muslces... seems to help
    I'll have to give that a shot, my game plan right now is to just focus on DB presses/Dips and Pec Deck. I tried dips for tri's today and it was crazy how insane the pump was! I was using 150lbs of assist too but squeezing to the point i thought my tricep was going to tear haha

Im always amazed at how good his form is when he rows 405lbs. Thats some crazy stuff
    He's amazingly strong with super solid form, Wish he would of known when to back off though imagine if he'd gone injury free. He'd be even more insane!
  32. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%

Well leg day today went pretty great.

Low Bar Squat ( today felt pretty strong on these went up to just 2 plates and tried to get back in my form groove ) 225 x 5 x 3
    High Bar Squat ( I feel a lot stronger on these now with normal bar ) 245 x 5 slow reps
    Romanian Dead's 315 x 14 GOOD reps really slow. I prolly could have gotten 16 or so but i like to be cautious with them till my form is ALWAYS perfect. Hit 335 x 5 really really easy too.
    By now i was DEAD like i felt like i was gonna pass out after the set of 315, tried to do Hack squats but i just couldn't get in the groove. Did leg extensions and then moved to...
    Calves, Killed them hard today with Donkey and standing raises.

I want to improve my squat a lot more so i'm gonna have to just work my technique a little more with just the bar before i go. Low bar i really felt stronger but i lost my groove with 225, I know i am a strong squatter somewhere inside of myself i just need to tap into it!

Another note is that if i pinch my shoulders back all the way i feel WAY stronger on Romanians and there is less strain on my lower back. Going to practice this maybe on back day just with 1 plate and see if i can destroy my traps with it.
  33. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.42%

its mesmorizing to watch the pros work
  34. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%

Back from the weekend off and once again 1x a week is bread and butter for me, Here's the improvements!
    High Incline DB Press Last week - 55 x 10, this week 70 x 9!
    Hammer Strength Behind Neck Press Last week - 55lbs per side x 12, this week 80 x 5 and 70 x 12!
    Laterals i tried something new, i try to pull my scapula back so when i do raises i can have a solid platform to do them off. You get a ton more isolation but your weights will drop a little. Did them seated then standing, INSANE PUMP.
    Strict HS Shrugs Standing - 2 plates x 20 reps x 3 sets. Traps definitely are stronger from those high rep romanian deads!
    Calves - Donkey raise went up 40lbs and felt easier with good form, i focus on bringing my heels up rather than pressing with my toes i like how it feels more.

No shoulder pain today too, i actually like to pull my shoulders back and then press because it removes the chest from helping. I know ben pakulski said the opposite but for me i notice if i try to flat press with my shoulders back the entire time that something gets pinched in my right shoulder so i don't do it for chest anymore and just use DUmbbells.

My goal is to hit 80s/90's on high incline press which should be really easy! for those who are wondering what this is i literally put the bench like 2 notches below upright on an incline bench. I feel it is a safer way to do shoulder pressing. I actually feel a lot more stable and i don't feel it in my chest at all because my shoulder blades are held back so there is no shoulder movement from the chest. It isn't a branch warren or johnny jackson style shoulder press though!
    I can't wait to do back tomorrow Also gym shirt fits a lot tighter on chest/shoulders/back now! Up to 234Lbs and i still look the same bodyfat wise, over the weekend i think i lost fat some how. This is just crazy though, legs are still a little sore from deadlifts on friday too.

Also i've started a small shoulder warm up i do every workout and i have no doubt it is helping. I do learning forward laterals with 5lb plates shoulders squeezed back. THen i do leaning external rotation with upper arms held perfectly parallel to ground. Then i go straight to elbow wall slides and shoulder dislocations with a broom handle or band. IT WORKS AMAZINGLY!
  35. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.96%

nice tip on the calves, I just tried it out sitting here in my desk and next time I do calves, I am trying it

for my legs I found hack squat and leg press work overall better. That is not to say i don't do squats because I do , moreso in the offseason. I even do half squats , and this works. I still do ass to bottom sometimes. Its all about trying new things and seeing what works for you. Im tall and someone with a different body type may get maximum effects out of squats, i get effects, It seems I get better one, for my body, out of hacks and leg press
  36. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.74%

nice tip on the calves, I just tried it out sitting here in my desk and next time I do calves, I am trying it

for my legs I found hack squat and leg press work overall better. That is not to say i don't do squats because I do , moreso in the offseason. I even do half squats , and this works. I still do ass to bottom sometimes. Its all about trying new things and seeing what works for you. Im tall and someone with a different body type may get maximum effects out of squats, i get effects, It seems I get better one, for my body, out of hacks and leg press
    exactly, well said john

gotta always experiment in the gym lol
  37. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%

I believe ya John, for the longest time i did half squats and my legs blew up from them. Now even though i do full squats i just don't see them respond as well. I like the Hack squat/leg press too, glad you like the calve tip. I saw it mentioned in a video and tried it as well it helps you contract a lot better

exactly, well said john

gotta always experiment in the gym lol
    That's the name of the game!
  38. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.42%

Back from the weekend off and once again 1x a week is bread and butter for me, Here's the improvements!
    High Incline DB Press Last week - 55 x 10, this week 70 x 9!
    Hammer Strength Behind Neck Press Last week - 55lbs per side x 12, this week 80 x 5 and 70 x 12!
    Laterals i tried something new, i try to pull my scapula back so when i do raises i can have a solid platform to do them off. You get a ton more isolation but your weights will drop a little. Did them seated then standing, INSANE PUMP.
    Strict HS Shrugs Standing - 2 plates x 20 reps x 3 sets. Traps definitely are stronger from those high rep romanian deads!
    Calves - Donkey raise went up 40lbs and felt easier with good form, i focus on bringing my heels up rather than pressing with my toes i like how it feels more.

No shoulder pain today too, i actually like to pull my shoulders back and then press because it removes the chest from helping. I know ben pakulski said the opposite but for me i notice if i try to flat press with my shoulders back the entire time that something gets pinched in my right shoulder so i don't do it for chest anymore and just use DUmbbells.

My goal is to hit 80s/90's on high incline press which should be really easy! for those who are wondering what this is i literally put the bench like 2 notches below upright on an incline bench. I feel it is a safer way to do shoulder pressing. I actually feel a lot more stable and i don't feel it in my chest at all because my shoulder blades are held back so there is no shoulder movement from the chest. It isn't a branch warren or johnny jackson style shoulder press though!
    I can't wait to do back tomorrow Also gym shirt fits a lot tighter on chest/shoulders/back now! Up to 234Lbs and i still look the same bodyfat wise, over the weekend i think i lost fat some how. This is just crazy though, legs are still a little sore from deadlifts on friday too.

Also i've started a small shoulder warm up i do every workout and i have no doubt it is helping. I do learning forward laterals with 5lb plates shoulders squeezed back. THen i do leaning external rotation with upper arms held perfectly parallel to ground. Then i go straight to elbow wall slides and shoulder dislocations with a broom handle or band. IT WORKS AMAZINGLY!
    looking good as always. I Love the tips... I'll be giving them a try
  39. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.96%

I believe ya John, for the longest time i did half squats and my legs blew up from them. Now even though i do full squats i just don't see them respond as well. I like the Hack squat/leg press too, glad you like the calve tip. I saw it mentioned in a video and tried it as well it helps you contract a lot better

That's the name of the game!
    agreed. I tried the tip today while training calves. I could move more weight, form wasnt as strict though.

back to legs , I say go for half squats if they help blow your legs up. You may get funny looks from the hardcore guys, so what though, its what works for YOU that matters.

check out Ed Nunns form,a tall guy, and he has some awesome quads http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo7ET2OfoDg
  40. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%

agreed. I tried the tip today while training calves. I could move more weight, form wasnt as strict though.

back to legs , I say go for half squats if they help blow your legs up. You may get funny looks from the hardcore guys, so what though, its what works for YOU that matters.

check out Ed Nunns form,a tall guy, and he has some awesome quads http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo7ET2OfoDg
    I'm gonna do them today, i do my dips with abbreviated range of motion too because my shoulder. My chest is full and big so they can just eat their own words. 99% of the time nobody talks to me anyways haha Thanks for the vid, Nunn is INSANE for his weight!

Similar Forum Threads

1. tiny's 3 MONTH HGHpro LOG OF EPIC PROPORTIONS!! (Sponsored)
    By thetinyguy in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 340
    Last Post: 05-03-2012, 10:41 PM
  2. Kleen's AI Sports Z3 and STOKED Review
    By MrKleen73 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-14-2011, 09:20 PM
  3. Tiny is on FIRE with AppNut's LIT-UP/DRIVE! (Sponsored)
    By thetinyguy in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 369
    Last Post: 11-10-2011, 11:54 PM
  4. Replies: 521
    Last Post: 09-29-2011, 12:25 AM