Prednisone Prescription

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Today I was prescribed prednisone for a really bad sunburn I got last Thursday, and when prescribed I didnt think too much of it but after running some searches on AM I became worried as to possible side effects.

I was reading and came across points that it increases cortisol to very undesirerable levels, it increases appetite alot, and that it tends to break down fat and re-locate it to the midsection.

I need this burn to get better because at the point Im at Im covered in blisters and unable to do any physical activity. I just wanted to see if there was anything I could do to limit possible bad sides (like the fat issue)

Ive never taken anything like this before so have very little insight onto what I can do to help prevent undesirable sides. Also I have my high school graduation on Friday so I really want the blisters gone so I'm going to keep on the prednisone for the duration of the time but hopefully something I can do to minmize the bs sides.

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
IMO predisone is very nasty drug, and should never ever be used to try to enhance oneself in anyway, since it will yeild the opposite effects.

Having said that for the record, it appears you are already aware of the negatives. Im guessing you got a week to ten days worth of this drug for treatment of the sundamage from your doctor. Take it as you were directed, watch your fat intake for a week or whatever the prescribed course of treatment is, and heal your body, dont workout too crazy, let your body heal up, you should be fine.

Raz65

Awards
Don't sweat it, the sides won't be bad in the short term, probably not even noticable. It's bad to be on a long time but short runs like this might do nothing bad at all. I've been on it for years for Crohns disease and it did puff me up and make me irritable when I was on a high dose for a long time. The doc knows what he's doing, you'll be fine.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the replies guys.

I may have over reacted a bit but when I saw the idea of it reloacting fat directly to my midsection and also having the ability to deny calcium absorbtion, and even have the potential to cause insomnia issues I was very worried.

Yea it is a short run (I belive ten days) 3 of 4 a day, then 3 of 3 a day, then 3 of two a day, etc. I wont be lifting either as I think thats how I got myself into this situation (didnt notice any blisters until the small ones after I lifted today, that became ginormouse water blisters over all the burned areas after sweating during tennis.

Maybe ths came at a good time though as I want to start a new program and a short break would be good prior to it. Anyways thanks again for the reply guys and your personal experiences really helped put my mind at a little bit of ease.