How do you guys alter training frequency on cycle?

linuxjon

Awards
Just wondering how you guys approach this. If you're benching or squatting 2x per week off cycle, would you increase that? Or do you all keep your training split the same?

ryox82

Awards
  • Established
Interested to see how people change their training up on different types of cycles myself.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
If your on-cycle goals are the same as your off-cycle ones, I dont see why youd need to drastically alter your training between the two.

If anything, though, Id say youd have a greater workload tolerance on-cycle, and could perhaps get away with increasing weekly volume to take advantage of this.

linuxjon

Awards
If your on-cycle goals are the same as your off-cycle ones, I dont see why youd need to drastically alter your training between the two.

If anything, though, Id say youd have a greater workload tolerance on-cycle, and could perhaps get away with increasing weekly volume to take advantage of this.
I'm yet to run my first test cycle, so I don't know first hand. But I just assumed you may recover quicker on cycle? Meaning you might need fewer days before hitting the same movement again?

NewAgeMayan

Awards
I'm yet to run my first test cycle, so I don't know first hand. But I just assumed you may recover quicker on cycle? Meaning you might need fewer days before hitting the same movement again?
Possibly, I think it will be context dependant. That is, how dramatic this difference ends up being will depend on your current training/recovery, relative to what you plan to do on-cycle.

ryox82

Awards
  • Established
Im curious to know if people doing 5x5 or 5/3/1 type workouts do anything diffrent on something as light as an andro/epiandro cycle personally. I have attempted to take a rest day but i end up pretty tired the next day so dont bother.

mrgoomba

Awards
my training doesnt change... i just am able to add more weight and a few extra reps. For those that care, my routine is below:

Upper heavy day following 5/3/1
Lower day day following 5/3/1
off
Chest/Back - super sets. 4x12 on everything
Legs - 4x12 on everything
Shoulders, bicep, tricep(super set bicep and tricep) 4x12 on everything

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I change my workout styles up around every three months regardless of what I'm on or not on.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
On cycle i do the same routine as off cycle, i switch routines every few months as far as which exercises per body part. My only difference on cycle is adding a set or 2 per exercise and going slightly higher in reps or shorter rest between sets, also might skip a rest day and do the next workout

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't change my training at all, bulking, cutting, natty or not.. makes no difference to me. I train at a faster pace, typically always super setting.. That is how my body responds. I do high reps, low reps, whatever my muscles feel they want that day.

VAGeo15

VAGeo15

Awards
On cycle I try to push a little harder - moving up some in weight and or trying to increase reps. Just doing my normal routines but trying to use that extra effort

Whorecules

Awards
I train harder in the gym and usually stay at the same frequency or a little less than normal. Usually alternate higher volume weeks with higher weight weeks to balance myself and give my joints a break from heavy sets. Definitely a bit braver on cycle in terms of trying new weights on lifts. Because of the increased training intensity, I usually end up crippling a muscle group for a bit so I train maybe 3-4 times a week instead of my usual 4-5. I follow a push/pull/legs/off with daily cardio normally and push/cardio/legs/cardio/pull/cardio when on cycle. At the end of the day, it's how I'm feeling that determines how I train.

Whorecules

Awards
Instead of quicker, less-debilitating workouts followed by cardio, I stay for a while longer and really destroy myself on a day and save cardio for another day. Just a side effect of higher endurance that I use to my advantage.