Anything to look for in a BP Monitor?

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
Figured this would be the place to ask. Lol

Wrist vs upper arm?

Anything else to look for? Decent brands? Brands to avoid?

There's so many on Amazon with good reviews, I'm lost. I'd like as inexpensive as I can...

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Upper arm is where i take mine. For brands im not sure, just good top rated BP monitors and see what pops up and go with one that not dirt cheap but not extremely expensive and im sure it will work good.

MuscleJ

Awards
Welch allyn makes great medical equipment, I'm not sure if the make BP monitors, at work we have Phillips brand. Upper arm is better in my opinion. Just make sure you buy the right size cuff, also go to a local pharmacy and take it there and then take yours and see how far off it is.

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I use an omron, about 50$ on amazon. They say wrist ones are not as accurate as arm ones. Make sure arm band is correct size for your arm or it won't be accurate, look for size in the description

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The wrist ones tend to not be as accurate, but you can get close by making sure you lie down with your arm resting on a pillow or something to make it level with your heart. I calibrated mine with the doctors to see where it is in range and while not as spot on as an arm cuff, it is easier and more convenient.

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
I use an omron, about 50$ on amazon. They say wrist ones are not as accurate as arm ones. Make sure arm band is correct size for your arm or it won't be accurate, look for size in the description

That's probably the one I grabbed. $47 with a "large cuff".

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Could just get an old fashioned bp cuff and learn the methods behind using it..