Rookie pinner, please check this

Big Tough

Banned
Awards
Thanks in advance for your replies. I have never pinned before but have decided to take the plunge! I know I need 20 g to draw with and 25 g to pin with. 1" for quads and delts, 1.5" for glutes....good so far?? I searched but could not find where in the above muscles is the best to pin (i.e. ant., lat., post. delt..etc) I guess where to pin is my main concern at this point...or does it even matter. Again thank you for your time.

BT

Big Tough

Banned
Awards
Thanks for the update guys. I appreciete the help. Couple more questions for you all. Do you have to switch pins after you draw? Could you just draw and pin with like a 22 or 23 G instead. Also is there any other precautions I should be aware of before I stick....or just stab and shoot...within reason of course. Thanks again
BT

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the update guys. I appreciete the help. Couple more questions for you all. Do you have to switch pins after you draw? Could you just draw and pin with like a 22 or 23 G instead. Also is there any other precautions I should be aware of before I stick....or just stab and shoot...within reason of course. Thanks again
BT
No, you Don't "have"to switch needles, but you might find drawing with a smaller needle a bitch. Likewise, pinning with a larger one can be a bitch too. Also, there's no need jab or stab like you are throwing a dart. You'll just risk missing your mark or creating more scar tissue than is nesesary. A new sharp needle will slide in like butter.Another reason why it just makes sense to draw with one needle then switch to a new one.

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Just wanted to mention... your using Alcohol swabs, and know what aspiration means? :)

THought I better ask. :)

Stingray

Awards
Ya, You want to switch. You wouldnt think that punching through the vial top would dull the needle much but it does. I havnt started pining yet (will in a coupla of weeks or so) but my wife is a nurse and she knows these things. She ALWAYS changes needles when giving injects at work.

SR

Big Tough

Banned
Awards
Ya, You want to switch. You wouldnt think that punching through the vial top would dull the needle much but it does. I havnt started pining yet (will in a coupla of weeks or so) but my wife is a nurse and she knows these things. She ALWAYS changes needles when giving injects at work.

SR
Alright so I see that changing needles would be "best", so I'll try both and see what I can handle. Alcohol swabs, yes....aspiration.....I don't know much about. Someone care to fill me in
BT

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Alright so I see that changing needles would be "best", so I'll try both and see what I can handle. Alcohol swabs, yes....aspiration.....I don't know much about. Someone care to fill me in
BT
After penetration of the needle, pull back slightly on the plunger to see if any blood enters the serynge. If it does, you're in a vain. PULL OUT AND CHANGE NEEDLES. If you inject into a vain, you risk a pulmonary embolism ie DEATH.