On cycle and having shoulder problems...What would you do?

houstontexas

Awards
  • Established
Ok guys I have been having some shoulder pain on and off for about 6 months or so. I recently ran what turned out to be a 4wk cycle of Helladrol as a kickstart to a Test cycle. I started the Test the 1st day of week 3 of my Helladrol cycle as that is when I was able to get it. Anyways after completing the Helladrol portion I noticed that my shoulder seemed to be giving me more trouble than usual. I don't really think it was the Helladrol, but that is just when I noticed it at least. It may not have helped with the drying out effect and the extra weight I am lifting. Well I decided I would see a chiropractor at the advice of a friend and have been going for the last 2 weeks getting massage, some electrical stimulation device, ultrasound, etc. The diagnosis from her was Anterior Impingement which is what I had already self diagnosed with the help of a pretty bright guy I know through some forums. She also said I have slight Tendinitis. After 2wks of working on me she wants me to get an MRI. She has already told me not to do certain movements etc for the upper body which is screwing up my workouts and depending on what an MRI shows I may be told to stop completely for a bit who knows. So here are a few things on my mind:

1. I don't want to spring for this MRI because it will end up running me like $800.
2. I don't really want to stop my cycle lol. I am doing a lean bulk at the moment and am having amazing results from the PH and now getting going on the AAS. Is it just a waste to keep it going if they tell me to stop upper body lifting or could I continue with it, hit my legs, etc hard and try to cut up a bit for the summer? Would you just start PCT now and save it for later and just hold onto what gains I have gotten as far as size etc.
3. Either way this is going to affect my lift #'s etc and it just pisses me off haha. I am kinda screwed either way it goes.
4. The actual pain is mostly felt when I hit the weights and it is enough to aggravate my workouts, but not enough to where I would stop them on my own. If nobody is giving me directions to stop I would keep going all day. I was hoping for a quick fix I guess and now I kind of wish I would have saved this crap for 4wks after my PCT or something. Damn the feeling of wanting to make sure everything is ok.

Anyways guys I know this was a long read and I may be all over the place, but it's just me venting my frustration :whiner: and hoping for a little insight from someone out there. Oh ya and I have gained around 25-30lbs so far with significant jumps in strength. A bit of fat came with my over bulking on the PH portion, but I was prepared for that. Thanks everyone.

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
this just happened to me... running epi/primobolan 2 weeks into it i tweak my shoulder i can barely lift it over my head.... im icing it every day and lifting VERYY light...

im not gunna stop the cycle.... i just wont go heavy for a few weeks until it heals .. you can still build muscle lifting light... especially on sauce...

i threw in some extra sam-e, megadosing fish oil and glucosamine ... seems to be helping...

it f*cking sucks to be injured on cycle... but hey.. its part of the game

houstontexas

Awards
  • Established
Thanks bro. I don't want to stop right now that is for sure. I'm going to give it a lot of thought today and make a decision. Anyone else got some input?

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
Thanks bro. I don't want to stop right now that is for sure. I'm going to give it a lot of thought today and make a decision. Anyone else got some input?
you might wanna look into a cortisone shot... i had to get one in my knee (wrestling) and it made it like new for a few months until i could get surgery...

i think i did it deadlifting... do everything you can to keep yourself going.... i would hate to risk a hpta suppression/recovery for minimal gains..

if youre shut down, you might as well stay shut down and accomplish what you started to do

imo keep running it... maybe take a few shoulder/chest days off to really strengthen some of the muscles that you rarely hit or may be lagging (forarms/abs/calves)

good luck brother... and plenty of ice man

houstontexas

Awards
  • Established
Ya I was thinking of giving it a really good break while I continue to pound out my leg workouts etc. Maybe a week or 2 of almost complete rest for my shoulder.

pillsRgood

pillsRgood

Awards
  • Established
I say f it bro...cycle on and kill the weights...my shoulder has been ****ed for.years and I just work around it... if something hurts I do something else...test is gonna reduce the pain a ton, once it kicks in in 3 weeks, so you'll be golden... my shoulder felt a ton better during test...

Presa

Presa

Awards
  • Established
I had mine operated on last September for impingement. It's called a decompression where they shave off some bone to give your bursa room to heal.

In hindsight I would never do it again. Healing is a bitch, takes forever and I still have pain. I would finish your cycle, get a cortisone shot and REALLY lay off the upper body for four weeks at least. When you come back, go slow and NEVER do overhead military presses again. That last bit is from a sports Orthopaedist....

kain1012

Awards
My shoulder is still a little screwed up. I got an MRI and X-ray nothing was torn but there is allot of inflammation on the AC joint area that is causing the pain. I was put on some hardcore anti-flam medication and it took away the pain and now I hear allot of bone cracking which they say is normal. It hurts when I do flat bench but nothing else its so damn weird.

808rebel

808rebel

Awards
i have a bit of a shoulder issue as well. not nearly as aggrivated as you described, but anyways...

if ur not already doing so go BIG on fish oils. i can't lift without em. i have tendonitis everywhere (shin splints, knee tendonitis, elbow tendonitis, shoulder pain, and 2 sprained wrists) and the only thing that gets me through my workouts is fish oil. without the fish oils my pain gets so bad that i cant work out, and my knees and shins get so sore that i can't play basketball.

heckler7

heckler7

Awards
  • Established
I had some pain in my right shoulder (old injury), I found that warming it up real good with light weights for 4-5 sets helped tremendously. Also trigosumine helps too. If you can work thru it, if you cant, dont injure yourself further.

mw1

mw1

Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You can either deal with it not or deal with it later , however dont be suprised if it causes more problems by waiting;). It not something thats going to heal over night on it own and cortizone shots are just a bandaid . Many people get a shot and think they are "healed" only to end up making it worse.

heckler7

heckler7

Awards
  • Established
you may get lucky, after my second cortisone shot im my knee I didn't have a problem again. occasionaly it aches, but I never got it operated on and its been over 3 years (knock on wood)

CoorsLight126

CoorsLight126

Awards
I've had the same problem before, impinged shoulder joint. Dr. wanted to scope it, I opted not to and take time to recover myself, best ****ing decision I ever made!! A few things to guide you through the healing process. #1- stay the **** away from overhead presses and just do lateral raises for shoulders. #2- Stay away from freeweight bench press and stick to dumbbells or hammer strength machines. The dumbbells allow you to work your range of motion around the pain by bringing you elbows in more to the ribs and doing shorter motions for your chest. DONT WORK FULL RANGE OF MOTION, the last part of the rep or lockout is when the joint will be in its most compromising position, dont bring dumbbells together, just straight up 6-8" bursts. Same thing on hammer strength machines, arms closer in and short reps (1/2 -3/4 reps) as for supplements, stay on glucosamine and they make a prescription fish oil that is expensive as hell but is the fricken bomb!! At least use regular OTC fish oil, but if you can manage get the prescription strength one. Train lighter!! Forget how much the **** weighs and focus on squeeze and pump for now. Mine healed back 100%, but I had to get my head out of my ass and train like this and also back off, cut my weights by about 50%

houstontexas

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all of the replies. I think I will continue to workout and just decrease the amount of weight. I have been taking it easier for the past 2 weeks and I feel it has done some good. I have been taking Fish Oil, Glucosamine/Chondroitan/MSM, and Super Cissus to help out also. I really don't feel like springing for the MRI which will probably only tell me to take it easy for a while unless I need surgery. What do you guys think about taking an anti inflammatory before hitting my upper body workout?

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all of the replies. I think I will continue to workout and just decrease the amount of weight. I have been taking it easier for the past 2 weeks and I feel it has done some good. I have been taking Fish Oil, Glucosamine/Chondroitan/MSM, and Super Cissus to help out also. I really don't feel like springing for the MRI which will probably only tell me to take it easy for a while unless I need surgery. What do you guys think about taking an anti inflammatory before hitting my upper body workout?
i say stay away from nsaids like ibuprofen.. too hard on your stomach

look into a natural one like turmeric

Sklander

Sklander

Awards
  • Established
Bankurt lesion and SLAP tear survivor here.

I ran a 6 wk epi cycle after doing 12 wks of natty phys. therapy on my shoulder. I had an MRI done and the ortho immediately wanted to operate... I said **** off... no one digs in my body, but me and a few females... hahaha... anyway, I stuck it out... did PT 3x a week and I **** you not it is stronger than the right in flat DB bench.

With shoulders you have to be EXTREMELY mindful when you load overhead presses with huge weight. Mine "came out" when I had 70lb DB's on a seated military press... it was rep 6 and I tweaked my body to the right just a bit to give that extra push on the left before I had complete failure... the heavy weight pulled the shoulder out, fell and pushed it back in. 12wks of PT fixed it and my shoulder was F*UCKED UP SON.

DO NOT get a shoulder operation unless your sh!t KO's completely. You can rebuild.

Also, OSTA has been said to build tendons and things, so maybe that's something to look into?

houstontexas

Awards
  • Established
Well I hit chest and biceps this morning as my first ever morning weight lifting day. I lifted a lot lighter than normal and felt okay until I got into the higher reps on later sets. At that point it felt like some fatigue plus some pain, but it wasn't very intense. I just did 3 sets of super sets with chest and biceps plus a little ab work. Tomorrow is legs and I will be smashing it hard. Today I just wanted to feel my way back into my chest workout and take it easy. I purchased a shoulder horn and a book called "7 Minute Rotator Cuff Solution" today at the recommendation of a friend. He said it will work wonders to get stability, strength, etc back in my shoulder. We shall see how it goes. Thanks again for all of the help guys.

Motorgrunt

Awards
give cissus a try... i've had chronic shoulder pain from pitching and shin splints from shattering my left tibia and fibula. i am a former Marine. after i got busted up, i lost a ton of muscle, then i gained some body fat from being inactive and not keeping my diet in check. when i started running again, i had terrible shin splints because of the extra weight i put on, plus i'm flat footed, which caused the muscle to tear away from the bone in my busted leg. i was desperate. trying anything to help alleviate the pain. first was glucosamine chondroitin. No help. then i tried USP super cissus and it was a miracle for me! i started looking for a bulk super cissus. found it at NP and started capping it in 000 gelcaps. i used to take two/day. now i take three. No more pain. At all.... I even play baseball again. well, softball anyway. but i used to not be able to throw much because of bursitis from pitching, arm wrestling, and heredity. It is my all time favorite supp. it looks like you're taking cissus. i reccommend super cissus bulk from NP. it works as well as USP but much more economical in bulk powder. try it for a few weeks and see. what can it hurt???