Calories - Is there a formula when "ON"

adrenalinaddict

Awards
I have recently started my first cycle. Tren 50mg ED, two weeks in, and I just added 500mg sust a week. ( I already know...tren is extreme for first but too late, so lets not go into that, lol)

Anyhow. I have been taking in around 3500-4000 all clean calories depending on the day. (Only Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Chicken, Lean Beef, Turkey, Egg Whites, Natty PB for fat, and some protein shakes to up my protein. except on cheat day I have one High calorie, High fat meal. Two meals a week.)

In the first 8 days I grew 2 inches on my shoulders, 2 inches on my chest, 1/2 inch on my bis, and was up 4 lbs. Just on the tren alone. In the last week I havent put on any more weight, but may have grown measurement wise, not sure. (Hopefully the test will help with the weight gain), however, I feel I am getting even leaner, lower my BF%, and Im looking good.

I am definitely trying to gain on this cycle, but want to stay lean. I am currently 5'9" 176 about 9-10% BF. For me to maintain I should take in around 3100 calories. So is there a formula for how many calories should be sufficient to keep gaining? I was 172 before I started, I would love to hit anywhere around 185 (maybe possible with the test addded) and stay lean. #1 Am I hoping for too much? And #2 - is 3500-4000 calories enough to keep gaining? Or do I need to up it even more (Gonna be hard to keep it all clean damnit)

Big Cat

Board Supporter
Awards
Usually you can save yourself a lot of hassle by doing some preparing work. If you do a diet, and stay lean for a period, it has been shown that your body-fat setpoint lowers. That means when you start eating more you won't gain fat as easily, your body will rebel.

Then there is the matter of how you eat. Few people realize that it can be beneficial to keep insulin low during a bulk, but only if you can maximize IGF. To do the latter you will have to change a few things in your diet. Drop high calcium intakes, reduce the amount of fiber in your diet, stop taking any and all supplements that cause calcium influx in cells (caffeine and most thermogenics), supplement with magnesium and zinc. And of course, don't eat excess amounts of sugar.

These two simple changes can help you maximize muscle growth very early on and keep body-fat low for several weeks.

Also, nothing that harsh about tren, just always add test throughout your stack.

chi_town

Keto Jedi / HomeBrew Advocate
Awards
Cat, So calcium and fiber (caffine and thermogenics) would cause and influx of calcium into the cells thus reducing the amount IGF ?

Could you elaborate ?

-- Chi

Big Cat

Board Supporter
Awards
Cat, So calcium and fiber (caffine and thermogenics) would cause and influx of calcium into the cells thus reducing the amount IGF ?

Could you elaborate ?
No, both those factors have to do with lessened absorption of zinc. The others have to do with calcium influx. Calcium influx causes zinc efflux. Zinc is the necessary component in IGF action.

adrenalinaddict

Awards
Well the only sugar I take in is in my wo/pwo shake. Although I have been taking in caffine before a workout as well. I guess my main concern is I just want to make sure Im taking in enough calories. As said I am about 176 9-10% BF right now. Yesterday I took in a little over 4000 calories with 340 grams of protein. My protein is right at about 2 grams per lb of bodyweight. My calories were a little high yesterday due to a cheat meal, so Id say Im usually at around 3800 calories.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Well the only sugar I take in is in my wo/pwo shake. Although I have been taking in caffine before a workout as well. I guess my main concern is I just want to make sure Im taking in enough calories. As said I am about 176 9-10% BF right now. Yesterday I took in a little over 4000 calories with 340 grams of protein. My protein is right at about 2 grams per lb of bodyweight. My calories were a little high yesterday due to a cheat meal, so Id say Im usually at around 3800 calories.
Bro, if you're not happy with how you're gaining, just increase them little by little to see where your sweet spot is. I'd increase overall cals by 400 every 4th day and see how you're doing. If still not happy, keep bumping them up.

What does your nutrient ratio look like? For bulking I always do a 30/40/30....when on androgens, I just make sure I'm eating my protein 2g/lb. of body weight and the rest I'll calculate into their appropriatte categories if need be.

Take caliper measuremnets in order to closely monitor your progress....learn to actually see what kind of weight you're gaining. It only takes 10 minutes out of your day like twice/week....keep logs of those readings and compare week by week.

Any kind of thermo, caffeine etc. will make you hold less water and make you look flat. I don't even use stimulants for that reason anymore....so, cut those out and you'll notice more fullness.

Need any help with the overall diet, diet procedures, etc., lemme know bro...

adrenalinaddict

Awards
Ya I need to start measuring with the calipers again. Im a trainer at 24 hour so its easy for me. I think I need to cut out my stimulants anyways just because a lot of times I rely on it. I feel like I dont have enough energy if I dont use anything and I think its all mental, so Ive been cutting them out.

As far as my percentages...Im at about 35/40/25. Getting 2 g per lb. of body weight. So it sounds like Im doing alright. Now that Ive added the test, Im sure I will start gaining a little more mass. Its only been two weeks, and I was on tren only, so a 5 lb gain is not dissapointing in any way. Plus I believe Ive cut body fat, and Ive definitely grown. So well see how it goes :)

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Ya I need to start measuring with the calipers again. Im a trainer at 24 hour so its easy for me. I think I need to cut out my stimulants anyways just because a lot of times I rely on it. I feel like I dont have enough energy if I dont use anything and I think its all mental, so Ive been cutting them out.

As far as my percentages...Im at about 35/40/25. Getting 2 g per lb. of body weight. So it sounds like Im doing alright. Now that Ive added the test, Im sure I will start gaining a little more mass. Its only been two weeks, and I was on tren only, so a 5 lb gain is not dissapointing in any way. Plus I believe Ive cut body fat, and Ive definitely grown. So well see how it goes :)
Yeah I hear ya, I've been on my prop for only 8 days so far and I just keep leaning out eventhough I'm taking in so many damn cals. So, today I had to increase again by 300 or so.

It seems that you got the right idea and everything, now just implement them :) .....good luck w/ the rest of yout cycle bro... :cool: