Low test levels

thelonely1

Awards
If this is in the wrong category, mods please move it.

This is my first post, so hi everybody!

About me: I am 28 yo, 5'11", 170 lbs at approx. 10-12% bodyfat. I have been training for about 4 months now.

I went to the Dr. complaining of feeling depressed, low libido, no desire, etc. and we did some blood tests and this is the results.

Component, Value, Range,
Testosterone, total 233(*) - (ng/dL)
% Free Testosterone 1.10 (*) - (%)
Free Testosterone 25.7 (*) - (pg/mL)

His comments were: Mildly low testosterone. We could try a testosterone injection to see if it helps with your depression. I can't guarantee it will work.

So, my questions are:

1. How low are my levels really? I don't know what those numbers mean?
2. How effective would taking testosterone injections be for fixing my depression, low libido, etc?
3. What might the side effects be?

I have no idea what the dose may be.

Also on the test were these numbers:

Component, Value, Range,
TSH 1.12 0.40-4.00 (uIU/mL)
Free T4 0.8 0.5-1.6 (ng/dL)

These numbers also look to be low. Anybody know what they are?

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
Yes, your test level is low for your age. Doctors will only give you enough to raise your level up to where the average for your age will be. I imagine it would help libido and depression quite a bit though.

thelonely1

Awards
Yes, your test level is low for your age. Doctors will only give you enough to raise your level up to where the average for your age will be. I imagine it would help libido and depression quite a bit though.
What should my test levels be at then? How much and how long would I have to take to be in the normal range? I'm NOT trying to weasel this into a cycle or anything stupid. I just want to be normal.

ace7863

Awards
Test level ranges are 241-871 but can vary slightly by a few points depending on the lab or endo.
Definitely low range but there may be other factors involved that only a an endocrinologist can determine. Don't count on a quick fix as they will want to test many different levels and rule out other things. I have seen two different endo's and the process is typically the same. They may start you on test injections or a transdermal in the interim while they attempt to rule out or diagnosis other potential factors. Pituitary, thyroid, hypogonadism, and so on. Private message me and I will go over my experiences with what you are going through and what you can expect. I am currently still on a few treatments.

crazilyfter42

Awards
you will have better responses by posting your results and looking for feedback in the anti aging forum. This is the steriod section.

Rick28

Rick28

Awards
  • Established
Test Levels and Mortality Info:

Men with low testosterone levels after age 40 have a higher risk of death over a four-year period than those with normal levels of the hormone, a new study suggests.

It's not clear, however, if the two are directly related, and researchers say that it's possible a third unknown factor is responsible for both low testosterone levels and increased mortality.

The study, led by Molly Shores of the VA Puget Sound Health Care System and the University of Washington, Seattle, is detailed in the current issue of Archives of Internal Medicine.

Wild variation

Testosterone levels can vary wildly between different men and even within individuals as a result of illness or stress. However, studies have consistently shown that levels of the hormone decrease as men age.

Testosterone levels peak during a man's late 20's but decline soon after, decreasing about 1.5 percent per year after age 30. The decline is thought to be due to age-related changes in the testes, where the hormone is produced, and in the brain.

Low levels of testosterone can cause decreased muscle mass and bone density, insulin resistance, decreased sex drive, reduced energy, irritability and feelings of depression.

Source:
LiveScience | Science, Technology, Health & Environmental News

Rick28

Rick28

Awards
  • Established
Low Testosterone May Cause Depression

Clinical Depression Often Unrecognized in Older Men

Feb. 3, 2004 -- Low testosterone levels may cause clinical depression in older men, a new study shows.

Age related decreases in the male sex hormone testosterone are common in older men; some 30% of men over age 55 have it. Low levels of the hormone can cause symptoms of fatigue, a decreased sex drive, and irritability. However, because some symptoms of this disorder are similar to symptoms of depression, the link between the two disorders has been unclear.

In this study, researchers analyzed medical records over a two-year period for 278 men -- all age 45 and over -- who had no diagnosis of depression before that time period. These were also men who had low or normal levels of testosterone test results. Doctors often order these tests when there are libido or other sexual function problems.

During the two-year period, the men with low testosterone were four times more likely to be diagnosed with clinical depression, reports researcher Molly M. Shores, MD, with the Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System and the University of Washington in Seattle.

Her study appears in the Archives of General Psychiatry.

Older Men at Risk
This might happen because low testosterone levels trigger symptoms such as anorexia, fatigue, and decreased libido, which may have an effect on mood.

Or, as one study of mice showed, low testosterone may directly alter brain chemistry -- specifically serotonin levels. Studies of humans show that serotonin levels are lower in older adults with clinical depression.

"Older men would be particularly vulnerable to these effects, because serotonin receptors are already decreased from normal aging," writes Shores.

Primary care doctors often don't recognize depression in these patients. And testosterone levels are rarely checked when signs of clinical depression are evident, she explains.

"Because depression is a major risk factor for suicide, and older men have the highest suicide rate of any age group in the United States, identifying conditions [such as low testosterone] that increase the risk of depressive illness could be an important opportunity for early intervention and treatment," she writes.

Treatment for both clinical depression and low testosterone could improve quality of life for older men, she writes. However, questions remain about the risks of prostate cancer related to testosterone replacement therapy -- which future studies need to address, says Shores.

Source: www.webmd.com

broken7

broken7

Awards
Have you taken any "supplements", maybe you took a prohormone/designer steroids with realizing it.