NCAA spread time

size

Awards
  • Established
The new season of ncaa college football has arrived so it is time to discuss the most important thing.
Who will cover the spreads?

For a good start,I went 2-0 last night with Northwestern at -3 and on Minnesota at -17. It felt good. ;)
Some game I am looking at this weekend:
Texas -22 for the first half.
LSU -29 and maybe the first half
Houston -13
Wis -9.5
Miss -3
Neb -21
BYU Over

Time to narrow things down and have fun. :woohoo:

size

Awards
  • Established
I'll make this a seperate thread if you wish me too, Size.

I would be very interested in hearing others strategies, in a general non specific to a game sense for team/spread analysis and money management.

I knows what I knows, what do y'all knows? School me/us.

We can have a lot of fun slicing and dicing up the, IMO, best sport around and as the head Ref of the second greatest sport in the U.S. might say, "Let's Get It on".
Fine to do it in this thread.

General stuff for me:
1. Never wager more than you can afford to lose
2. Employ a system and follow to the system.
3. Follow trends
4. Ignore the idea about "traps"
5. Study teams

size

Awards
  • Established
Rogue, I need to extended a "thank you" to you. I had completely overlooked Clemson and Auburn. After I read your post, I went and looked at those games. The result was me smiling. :)
Overall, last weekend went really well for me.

Looking forward to this weekend.

Last edited:

size

Awards
  • Established
Weekend comes to an end, and it is time to start looking to next weekend.

One really exciting game(at least to me) is Auburn vs LSU. Great defenses and potent offenses on both teams. Should be exciting.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
I read them and appreciate many of your posts.

I hope the school up north kills the ND hype machine. I think a good ND is good for football, but I'm sick of it. I wish for it every year, but this year I have an even larger craving for both OSU and UM to come into The Game undefeated.

size

Awards
  • Established
What a weekend to show the parity in Collegeball these days and the unpredictable nature of this sport, great for fans , hard for gamblers.

Troy, Buffalo scoring 40 points,Air Force, etc.
Definitely. I pounded LSU, Auburn, Florida, and Louisville. I was trying to make it an SEC weekend but Tenn disappointed me with their total inability to stop the option. Wake Forest also hurt me the inability to score a worthy amount vs a dreadful Duke.

LSU vs Auburn is really a tough game to call, I will stay away from it but I looking forward to it. I am interested in seeing how LSU stops Irons, and how Aubrun handles all the various speeds from the stable of LSU rbs.

Another thing worth noting in my mind is the continual improvement of Rutgers. Last year the team made some strides and it appears they are continuing to do so this year.

Temple is terrible.

One of the first games I like thus far, is Arizona State(-9) vs Colorado. Poor Coach Hawkins at Colorado, the Buffs just look horrible. I imagine this line will continue to climb.

size

Awards
  • Established
Thus far, Arizona State (-9) and WVU(-13.5).
Some leans:
Conn (-4)
Boise(-8.5)
Rutgers(-17)
Some first half plays to consider as well.
How about your plays?

Last edited:

yankees3

Board Supporter
Awards
One of the first games I like thus far, is Arizona State(-9) vs Colorado. Poor Coach Hawkins at Colorado, the Buffs just look horrible. I imagine this line will continue to climb.
It already has. It opened at -7.5 yesterday. I couldn't believe it when I saw it and of course i pounded it.

Also liking Nevada -2, Boise, Florida , Uconn and Texas -28 (bought the hook. I think Rice is going to pay for UT losing last week). I like Rutgers but I'm not sure about the points. They've looked great so far but they've also faced some terrible teams.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
I know you never bet on your own team, but I do not see Tress going more than the 30 against his old national championship D.C., Dantonio--now Cinci's head coach. Not to mention he never runs up a score to begin with. Plus, he'll do what he usually does whenever he can which is go into halftime with an outrageous lead and call the dogs off for most of the second half. He's got PSU and Iowa the following 2 weeks and will not give up his hand with unneeded offensive playcalling. If things go right in the first half, you will see a lot of realtime practice given to the 2's and 3's in the second. I've seen him start the third quarter with the second teamers in against Kent State. Then there is this, during that NC year Cinci played OSU very close, as did a lot of other teams. I guess what I am saying is that I do not often like the larger spreads when it comes to OSU.

AFOX

Awards
I think the USC/NU game will be high scoring. Both teams have been hit hard by the injury bug in the secondary, with USC on the worst side of it. If the Huskers don't get pressure on Booty, we are in trouble. I like NU chances, because of a huge improvement in the running game, and as you know Rouge Drone, Zac Taylor is for real at QB. We will move the ball and score on them, but Jarrett poses a problem for our secondary. 28 points against Arkansas came off 5 turnovers. If we don't turn it over, there is no way USC will cover that spread. My optimistic prediction NU 35 USC 31

size

Awards
  • Established
Went 4-0 last week with Hawaii being my #1 play. It was to easy on that game.

Hawaii looks like a real team this year even off of the island. Brennan is a real QB.

For a mid week game, I think CMU(-6.5) at home is a good play. In fact, CMU is 7-0 ats this year. Bowling Green is really incosistent.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Damn Size, you're gonna make us rich if we use you as an investment LOL

I'm up $3,400 this year and here's what I got for this week. The way I bet is I put $750 on my lock of the week and $50 on all other games I think I can win. In the event that I lose on the lock of the week I go double or nothing until I get it back.

COLLEGE
Tennessee -11.5 OVER Alabama
Texas -6.5 OVER Nebraska
Oregon -4 OVER Washington State
Notre Dame -13.5 OVER UCLA

PRO
San Diego -5.5 OVER K.C.
New England -5.5 OVER Buffalo
NY Giants +3.5 OVER Dallas

I like the OVER (45.5) in the Giants & Cowboys game as well the over in Seattle & Minnesota (41)

My lock is the OVER in the Seattle & Minnesota game.

size

Awards
  • Established
Look at LSU for the first half(-17.5). Reason being, it is home night game for LSU where they dominate. LSU has outscored opponents at home in the first half 143-6.
Fresno St. is in a slide. Last week, they lost to Hawaii by 31 at home. Week before, they lost to Utah State. This is not the same team it was in the past.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
Damn Size, you're gonna make us rich if we use you as an investment LOL

I'm up $3,400 this year and here's what I got for this week. The way I bet is I put $750 on my lock of the week and $50 on all other games I think I can win. In the event that I lose on the lock of the week I go double or nothing until I get it back.

COLLEGE
Tennessee -11.5 OVER Alabama
Texas -6.5 OVER Nebraska
Oregon -4 OVER Washington State
Notre Dame -13.5 OVER UCLA

PRO
San Diego -5.5 OVER K.C.
New England -5.5 OVER Buffalo

I like the OVER (45.5) in the Giants & Cowboys game as well the over in Seattle & Minnesota (41)

My lock is the OVER in the Seattle & Minnesota game.
:ntome: uh oh, not a good week for ya. i lost on that damn texas game which was bull****! they absolutely dominated all 4 quarters and the final score does not reflect how the teams matched up. id take that bet everytime.

luckily i hit a 3 game parlay with rutgers, a&m, and wisconsin to make up for that loss.

jmh80, how confident are you with those NFL picks? i agree with superdrol and new england but think the cowboys will load on the ginats. i also like arizona -3, green bay +6, and carolina +3

AFOX

Awards
I don't know what game you were watching, but I saw Nebraska come back and score two fourth quarter touchdowns to take the lead 20-19. So how did Texas dominate the entire game? NU gave Texas that win with a stupid fumble. Both teams made mistakes, and both teams shut down the run. Tough loss, but Nebraska main goal this year is to win the north. They will get another shot at Texas in December.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Wanna,
Were you asking me about IW's NFL picks???

Do you think I'm some grand prognosticator or something? (I'm like 1-6 in the pick 'em game.....)

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
Wanna,
Were you asking me about IW's NFL picks???

Do you think I'm some grand prognosticator or something? (I'm like 1-6 in the pick 'em game.....)
oops, sorry about that, i need to direct that question to IW? i dont know how i screwed that up. my fault:blink:

and to AFOX, nebraska scored 2 TD's off of long touchdown passes that should not have happened. and the other TD was a trick play (great call btw, texas got burned bad). other than those 3 plays, they didnt produce much offense. the running game is their strong point, and they managed a respectable 38 yards on the grounds:rolleyes: texas actually put together drives and accumulated a bit more first downs. anywho, sorry for the rant, im a little bitter since it cost me 300 bones:whiner: it was an awesome game to watch nonetheless.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
:ntome: uh oh, not a good week for ya. i lost on that damn texas game which was bull****! they absolutely dominated all 4 quarters and the final score does not reflect how the teams matched up. id take that bet everytime.

luckily i hit a 3 game parlay with rutgers, a&m, and wisconsin to make up for that loss.

jmh80, how confident are you with those NFL picks? i agree with superdrol and new england but think the cowboys will load on the ginats. i also like arizona -3, green bay +6, and carolina +3
Yeah Hulk, this week has been a real bad one for me :icon_lol:

If Seattle and Minnesota come through with the over of 41 pts. then I still come out a winner this week, even if I lose all my NFL picks too ;)

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
oops, sorry about that, i need to direct that question to IW? i dont know how i screwed that up. my fault:blink:
Things are much better today Hulk. You see, the Vikings knew I put $750 on the over in their game and they helped me with a meaningless touchdown in the 4th quarter to put me up $550 for the week, and I'll finish at $650 or $450 at the very least idepending on the Dallas & NY Giants game. I love gambling :cheers:

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
Yeah Hulk, this week has been a real bad one for me :icon_lol:

If Seattle and Minnesota come through with the over of 41 pts. then I still come out a winner this week, even if I lose all my NFL picks too ;)
i owe you a big one for this call. i blindly bet on it over frustration and made a pretty penny. i actually got the over at 39.5 (it was set at 40 and i bought 1/2 point to make it -120). anyways, thanks for the tip on this one.

back to college football... wisconsin and ohio state are both really good at covering spreads and i dont think notre dame has covered one all season. i cant wait to see the boise state/fresno state spread. im thinking upset on this one. BSU looks pretty vulnerable with a poor pass defense, and im not impressed with Ian Johnson. i predict a high scoring game with fresno winning a close one.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
i owe you a big one for this call. i blindly bet on it over frustration and made a pretty penny. i actually got the over at 39.5 (it was set at 40 and i bought 1/2 point to make it -120). anyways, thanks for the tip on this one.

back to college football... wisconsin and ohio state are both really good at covering spreads and i dont think notre dame has covered one all season. i cant wait to see the boise state/fresno state spread. im thinking upset on this one. BSU looks pretty vulnerable with a poor pass defense, and im not impressed with Ian Johnson. i predict a high scoring game with fresno winning a close one.
Glad I could help you Hulk, do I get 10% ? :D I doubt FSU will win vs. BSU. The Bulldogs have been horrible this year and BSU is no BCS threat but they will beat FSU. If the spread is between 28-30 then I'd take FSU because there will be many points in this one. BTW, the Philadelhia Eagles games are $$$ on the over this year ;)

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
Glad I could help you Hulk, do I get 10% ? :D I doubt FSU will win vs. BSU. The Bulldogs have been horrible this year and BSU is no BCS threat but they will beat FSU. If the spread is between 28-30 then I'd take FSU because there will be many points in this one. BTW, the Philadelhia Eagles games are $$$ on the over this year ;)
thanks for the tip about phili games, ill be on the lookout for it next week. boise didnt look impressive at all against NMSU and idaho. idaho gave them a real scare. i dont think either defense will be able to stop either offense in this one but ive always liked pat white and he'll be ready for this rivalry game.

im calling navy over notre dame. ND has got to be the most overrated team (maybe USC). triple option will be all over the ND defense. why is brady quinn even in the heisman running? if either spread is over 14 (i think that is a probable spread for tomorrow), ill be throwing down mega bucks.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
thanks for the tip about phili games, ill be on the lookout for it next week. boise didnt look impressive at all against NMSU and idaho. idaho gave them a real scare. i dont think either defense will be able to stop either offense in this one but ive always liked pat white and he'll be ready for this rivalry game.

im calling navy over notre dame. ND has got to be the most overrated team (maybe USC). triple option will be all over the ND defense. why is brady quinn even in the heisman running? if either spread is over 14 (i think that is a probable spread for tomorrow), ill be throwing down mega bucks.
Yeah, the Cryin Irish fooled the crap out of me. I thought UCLA would keel over on the road because PAC-10 defenses are average at best (except USC) and expected Notre Dame to put up at least 30 points. I was thinking 31-14 Notre Dame but it ended at 20-17.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, the Cryin Irish fooled the crap out of me. I thought UCLA would keel over on the road because PAC-10 defenses are average at best (except USC) and expected Notre Dame to put up at least 30 points. I was thinking 31-14 Notre Dame but it ended at 20-17.
i think we both have gambling problems:think: wait a minute... its not a problem if youre winning! WOOOOOOOOO!!! sounds like youre doing well in the game, and im up $1200 for the season although this weekend was a bit of a scare. it was like a roller coaster ride but i ended with my money back plus some all cause that over spread. thanks again for that one! sports gambling is such a rush placing hundreds of $$ on any given game.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
im thinking cowboys money line is a lock. i just heard on sportscenter that dallas is 6-1 against NY on monday night football and TO is 5-0 against NY.

or taking dallas in the 1st half would be a good bet IMO. NY usually doesnt get rolling til the 4th quarter. any thoughts on this?

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
im thinking cowboys money line is a lock. i just heard on sportscenter that dallas is 6-1 against NY on monday night football and TO is 5-0 against NY.

or taking dallas in the 1st half would be a good bet IMO. NY usually doesnt get rolling til the 4th quarter. any thoughts on this?
Well, my pick is looking good now. Giants are up 12-0 (with the spread it's 15-0) and driving inside the Dallas 20. If they cover the over then I'm up $650 this week :D

BTW, We don't have a gambling problem, we are just unique investors :cheers:

Here to edit my post, the G-Men pulled it off and they smashed the over. My W-L may not be impressive but I ended up $650 for the week largely in part to a meaningless touchdown late in the Minnesota-Seattle game :dance:

PS. I know ESPN mentioned that but past performance is a poor indicator of future performance, especially with the way NFL rosters change now a day ;)

Last edited:
WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
PS. I know ESPN mentioned that but past performance is a poor indicator of future performance, especially with the way NFL rosters change now a day ;)
thats so true, and ive heard it so many times in my business classes. great call on the MNF game! i had dallas in the first half so i lost but still am up for the week. that bet almost came through but bledsoe had to throw a pick:FUfinger: (thats for bledsoe).

checking the spreads, navy is +14. i dont think notre dame has beaten anybody by more than 14, maybe penn state. but this is at navy. i cant find the fresno/boise line yet. ill probably buy 1/2 put and take navy for a couple hundred. $$$ in the bank:dance:

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
i llike a lot of bets this week. other teams i like for the week and will ix and match in parlays or teasers most likely:

mizzou -2.5 over oklahoma
oregon state +12.5 against USC
texas A&M -5 over baylor
miami +6 against georgia tech (depending on reggie balls health. if hes healthy, by game time then miami's in trouble)

and my favorite: tennessee -4.5 over south carolina

what do you guys think about any of these picks?

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
any thoughts on tonights game: clemson @ v tech. clemson is favored -4.5 and i honestly dont know who to pick but wanna throw down some $$$ for entertainment purposes. if i had to pick, id take v tech but i do best betting in the big 10 and big 12. who would you guys take?

size

Awards
  • Established
I am concerned about Clemson b/c Davis may not play and Fry is finished. Davis is listed as probable but on Oct. 24 Bowden said he is 50/50 to play.

Bowden: "Speaking of James, he practiced yesterday but did not do anything. I'd say he's 50-50. It's probably a game day decision on whether or play or not. Reggie Merriweather is 100%. It's the same shoulder."

Still, I think Clemson is better on both sides of the ball. Only positives I can see find for VT are that Clemson has been slightly sloppy with special teams and VT is a thurs. night money maker at home.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
My money's on Clemson. Without getting too deep into my personal metrics, Clemson is the #1 Score O versus VT's #10 Score D, and the Tigers have the #7 Score D versus VT's Score O of #31.

Clemson is run oriented, 57% of their yards from rushing, #4 Rush O versus VT's #22 Rush D, VT is 64% pass oriented against Clemson's #5 Pass efficency D, one that shut down GT's Calvin Johnson last week in defeating GT.

Clemson has a slightly better TOM, and Beamerball is predicated on Special Teams play, but the average of the Kick and Punt returns numbers for the Big Game Chokies is a #60 Average.

Additionally,and as importantly, Clemson has beaten GT and essentially tied BC, VT has lost to both.
this is a really great analysis. it makes a lot of sense on paper that clemson appears to have the edge.

that being said, i already placed my bet on v tech. i feel that clemson beat the hell out of a sloppy georgia tech with an unhealthy/injured reggie ball and he brought the team down with him. since this happened, i think it influenced this weeks spread. v tech also knows they cant afford another loss if they want hopes at a BCS bowl (is there an ACC championship game?). im also hoping the questionable clemson players are sidelined. v tech being at home is a great time to bounce back and prove themselves against a solid clemson team.

i think this one is pretty much a crap shoot.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
i llike a lot of bets this week. other teams i like for the week and will ix and match in parlays or teasers most likely:

mizzou -2.5 over oklahoma
oregon state +12.5 against USC
texas A&M -5 over baylor
miami +6 against georgia tech (depending on reggie balls health. if hes healthy, by game time then miami's in trouble)

and my favorite: tennessee -4.5 over south carolina

what do you guys think about any of these picks?
I love the Tennessee -4.5 OVE the fake USC, I'm betting on that one
OTHER PICKS
Florida -1.5 OVER Georgia
Tampa Bay +9 OVER NY Giants
Indianapolis +2.5 OVER Denver
UCLA -1 OVER Washington State
Iowa -16 OVER Northern Illinois
The OVER (42.5) in the Eagles-Jaguars game
Vanderbilt -9.5 OVER Duke
NY Jets +1.5 OVER Cleveland
The OVER in the Ohio St & Minnesota game (48 pts.)

My lock is New England -2.5 OVER Minnesota. If I hit this one, the others don't matter :)

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
RD, about what percent of your picks to nail ? What do you think of handicapping in other sports like basketball, hockey, & baseball ? There could be a lot of $$$ made in those sports because they play so many games in comparison to football teams.

size

Awards
  • Established
I base most of my analysis on statistics and trends. This, to me, is more logical than anything else. I try to adjust for injuries but it is difficult to put a numerical value on the loss or addition of a player. I attempt to leave off all values that are not quantitatively measurable. This often means that certain types of games I stay away from such as rivalry games that often have more emotion.

College football is what I am strongest at.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
This often means that certain types of games I stay away from such as rivalry games that often have more emotion.
so you wouldnt put a wager on tennessee/south carolina then being a rivalry game? i definitely think tennessee will cover 4.5 points. south carolina is a tough call call because they are very inconsistnet but i feel this will happen even if SC is at the top of their game. i just look for the games that are braodcasted on TV and bet on those games mostly so i can watch and make it fun. i need ESPN gameplan for more variety though :(

size

Awards
  • Established
so you wouldnt put a wager on tennessee/south carolina then being a rivalry game? i definitely think tennessee will cover 4.5 points. south carolina is a tough call call because they are very inconsistnet but i feel this will happen even if SC is at the top of their game.
For me, I would not take this game. UT looks solid and to be the better play but SC is not a bad team. As you mentioned they suffer from inconsistency which also makes it a tougher game to call. If SC can play like they did against Auburn then I think it will be close, if not then I think Tenn wins on a big day from Ainge. Problem is, which SC team shows up.
However, if you see something you like then you should take the play.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
For me, I would not take this game. UT looks solid and to be the better play but SC is not a bad team. As you mentioned they suffer from inconsistency which also makes it a tougher game to call. If SC can play like they did against Auburn then I think it will be close, if not then I think Tenn wins on a big day from Ainge. Problem is, which SC team shows up.
However, if you see something you like then you should take the play.
ok, the UT/SC spread is now -3.5 so it dropped a full point. this is huge cause now ill probably buy a point and take tennessee for a hefty wager. my only concern is that erik ainge had a bad game against bama so im a little worried he wont respond well to that. i think UT will undoubtedly win but the covering the spread was in question. ill feel safe bringing it down to 2.5. if they do win like i believe they will, chances are it will be by at least a field goal.

all my other picks have changed for the worse though. i liked navy +14 and now its +13. oregon state opened at +13 and is now +11. miami +6 to +5. oh, and i just noticed this one: wake forest -8.5 over UNC. what do you guys think? seems really good to me.

size and RD, who are your picks for the week?

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Baseball bores me to (fill in the blank) don't know much about it, and Hockey, don't know anything about it either.
Keep this in mind when you pay attention to baseball. There is this gambling strategy that many people use when teams playing .600 ball or better play against teams below .500 after 30 games in the season. The strategy is to bet on the team with the higher winning percentage the first game, if they lose go double or nothing the next game, if they lose go double or nothing the third (and usually) final game of the series because there's a 90% probability that the team with the .600 winning percentage doesn't get swept. Look into it next season ;)

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
all my other picks have changed for the worse though. i liked navy +14 and now its +13. oregon state opened at +13 and is now +11. miami +6 to +5. oh, and i just noticed this one: wake forest -8.5 over UNC. what do you guys think? seems really good to me.
I'd stay clear from Miami at this point. They have some psychological issues.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
I'd stay clear from Miami at this point. They have some psychological issues.
true, but larry coker knows his job is on the line and has to find any way to win.

on a side note, go hokies!!! i got clemson -2 for the 2nd half to cover my first bet. so i either win big with both bets or come out a little ahead if my 2nd half bet fails :woohoo:

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I don't know that I'd bet on Miami straight up. But - a 5 point spread might be a good idea.

Reggie Ball is a bad QB. Period. He can lose a game by himself - and we proved against VTech that we can win with a bad offense with defensive points.

I see GT winning by 3 points - something like 13-10 (last year it was 14-10 or so, GT).

I think it's a good idea to take Miami at +5 or 6 - any less, maybe not - not sure it will be all that close.

On UT-S Carolina - UT is damn good. Ainge had a bad week against Bama. And he's fully capable of that - he's an idiot QB. But - I gotta think Cutcliff turns it back around. I think he wants to dig it to Spurrier.
As Size points out - you never know what S Carolina team will show up - and Spurrier seems to have Fulmer's number.
At UT -3, probably a good pick.

Lastly - UNC is TERRIBLE. I think Wake beats them by 2 TD's.

(Doesn't look good with VT up 17-7 over Clemson, eh?)

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
Wanna - I'll give you general pointers, like to generally post bets on favorites early in the week before the spreads widen, but I don't do specific gameplays.
cool, i would love any tips. i know to bet on spreads earlier rather than later but i kinda shot myself in the foot by doing that last week. i got texas -6.5 then it changed to -4 two days later. thats huge!!!

i like your methodology, it has much more merit than mine. i analyze the most recent games and factor in momentum or emotional/team issues. i dont take home field advantage into consideration too much as i feel the environment in college doesnt make nearly as much difference as in the pros. since some stadiums are really tough to play in, i do account for those few. im also bias to bet on my favorite teams. luckily, ohio state has covered every spread except NIU.

i do this purely for entertainment, not to make money. my winnings/losings are linked to my supplement budget so if i do well, i buy more/higher quality supps. if i lose, ill be more economical in my supp spending. its a great system!

size

Awards
  • Established
Size, do you quantify trends in some manner, for example with a moving average?
Yes, I use a simple moving average and I also use a weighted one. However, this is just one thing as I do not think alone it works. I look alot at ATS trends and I have a spread equation that I use to see where I think the spread should fall. On trends, I put a much higher value on trends that are in the current year as opposed to previous years. I also look for common factors between teams such as common teams played.

For this weekend, one game I really like is BYU (-7.5).

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
Consider this, WannabeBruceBanner - Does Charlie Weis' ***** and moan about slipping in this week's poll make it more likely that the Irish will run up the score on the Middies to get better poll recognition?
thats funny cause i was gonna post that i didnt feel as comfortable with the navy bet after hearing charlie weiss being pissed at the BCS standings. i do think if they can, and thats a big IF, they will indeed run up the score to prove a point. me and you were on the same page on this one.

all your stat principles are very impressive. unfortunately, i didnt continue with stat classes as far as i wouldve liked because this is excellant info. keep the pointers coming please, im all ears:D oh, and nice webpage, definitely a useful tool.