Insulting team names

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In a halftime essay Bob Costas called the Redskins teamname an "insult" and a "slur"

Objections to names like Braves, Chiefs, Warriors and the like, strike many of us as political correctness run amuck. These nicknames honor, rather than demean. They're pretty much the same as Vikings, Patriots, or even Cowboys. And names like Blackhawks, Seminoles and Chippewas, while potentially problematic, can still be okay provided the symbols are appropriately respectful. Which is where the Cleveland Indians, with the combination of their name and Chief Wahoo logo, have sometimes run into trouble.
A number of teams, mostly in the college ranks, have changed their names in response to objections. The Stanford Cardinal and the Dartmouth Big Green were each once the Indians. The St. John's Redmen are now the Red Storm. And the Miami of Ohio Redskins—that's right Redskins—are now the RedHawks.

Still, the NFL franchise that represents the nation's capital has maintained its name. But think for a moment about the term "Redskins," and how it truly differs from all the others. Ask yourself what the equivalent would be if directed towards African-Americans, Hispanics, Asians, or any other ethnic group. When considered that way, "Redskins" can't possibly honor a heritage or noble character trait, nor can it possibly be considered a neutral term. It's an insult, a slur, no matter how benign the present day intent
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who once defended the use of the name to congress, is now speaking up against the use of the name

We have to do everything that’s necessary to make sure that we’re representing the franchise in a positive way . . . and that if we are offending one person, we need to be listening and making sure that we’re doing the right things to try to address that.”
The mayor of Washington D.C is avoiding using the team name and instead referring to them simply as football team - http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2013/02/07/D-C-Mayor-Refuses-to-Say-Redskins-in-State-of-District-Address

The franchise has now been sued twice in an attempt to void the redskins trademark - http://m.inc.com/?incid=47380

There is also a bill before the house which if passed would ban the name - http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2013/03/21/house-lawmakers-introduce-bill-ban-redskins-trademark-148286

The president is even chiming in on the issue - http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268750/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=HWKbQYYx

So my question to everyone of AM, what do you think? Is the name innocent and should stay? Or should they change it?

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
whatever the owner wants to do is fine with me, even though I don't like him.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think by publicly referring to it as a slur, he is making it one.
It was never a slur until he said that.
Kind of made himself appear racist if you ask me.

D3platinum

D3platinum

Awards
Seems like goddell is just changing with the weather. If you've watched old shows when the word was thrown and was discriminatory in nature you'd change your view, and goddell is old enough to understand that, but back then it was 'good for business' but now it's not as much I guess.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Its stupid.

The very people who are supposed to be offended by this, are not.

Too many do gooders championing useless causes.

Phantom Z

Awards
What ever happened to some pride in History? The Washington Redskins were established in 1932!!

As far as the Chiefs being included, just watch if the Redskins change it won't be long and they'll be coming after any team with a link to Indians.

Zac Speed

Zac Speed

Awards
The Chiefs weren't named the chiefs because of natives though. I believe that was Lamar Hunts nickname.

Phantom Z

Awards
The Chiefs weren't named the chiefs because of natives though. I believe that was Lamar Hunts nickname.
Close, it was the nickname of the mayor that convinced Lamar to move his Dallas Texans to KC. But a stadium called Arrowhead doesn't sell that excuse very well. KC Wolf does though. Lol

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
What ever happened to some pride in History? The Washington Redskins were established in 1932!!

As far as the Chiefs being included, just watch if the Redskins change it won't be long and they'll be coming after any team with a link to Indians.
And, for the record, no native american groups have taken ANY exception to these names.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
all i know is if they were the washington dc crackers....i might root for them, except the name crackers doesn't strike fear in anyones ears....maybe the pioneers? oh wait...the city i live in now are called the pioneers and it doesn't offend me

Phantom Z

Awards
all i know is if they were the washington dc crackers....i might root for them, except the name crackers doesn't strike fear in anyones ears....maybe the pioneers? oh wait...the city i live in now are called the pioneers and it doesn't offend me
Dolphins strike fear? Lol Colts?

hulkamaniac54

Awards
At this point the teams have been around so long, that these are just names. Broncos I think of elway and orange and blue, not a horse. Redskins I think of blowing it, its just a name

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
bob costas will do anything to be relevant. he has tried this kind of thing many times before with little result....bet he is pals with barack, lol.