Red Sox 2009

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's right my friends - opening day is just around the corner. The american league east looks to be the best division in baseball this year, and the competition is going to be fierce. It should shape up to be one of the best battles for the AL East title is some time.

The Sox are balanced in all facets of the game, and our starting pitching looks to be among the best in the league. Let the yankee hate......begin!

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
Gotdam right! Go Sox. That is all.

CombatTested

Awards
Sox all the way **** the yankees and rays

simmons

simmons

Awards
  • Established
Ha ha. I didn't even have to look at the username under the thread title. I already knew who made it. :laugh:

simmons

simmons

Awards
  • Established
I may not be a Sox fan, but we can still hate on the Yankees together :beerchug:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I may not be a Sox fan, but we can still hate on the Yankees together :beerchug:
Yes - We can all gather around in unity and proceed to hate on them together. :)

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
oh christ trauma's at it again!

....and you know you have a small place in your heart for the rays. it might be cold and dark but its still there!

oh i almost forgot..........**** THE YANKEES! god i wanna tea bag half the team...i'll spare jeter and just punch him in the eyeball!

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
Tea-bagging the yankees...now theres a concept.

allstar

allstar

Awards
  • Established
I hope the Red Sox win the east this year, I absolutely love them, although they can't go all the way cuz my Twins are gonna take it this year :D

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

....and you know you have a small place in your heart for the rays. it might be cold and dark but its still there!

oh i almost forgot..........**** THE YANKEES! god i wanna tea bag half the team...i'll spare jeter and just punch him in the eyeball!
LOL! - I just spit my drink everywhere! :laugh:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hope the Red Sox win the east this year, I absolutely love them, although they can't go all the way cuz my Twins are gonna take it this year :D
As long as you're not a yankee fan.....welcome, brother. :D

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
This will get interesting when a yankee fan partakes in the conversation. Albeit the bitching will get old, the controversy shall be entertaining.

simmons

simmons

Awards
  • Established

:rofl:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This will get interesting when a yankee fan partakes in the conversation. Albeit the bitching will get old, the controversy shall be entertaining.
Oh don't you worry, they will. :D

allstar

allstar

Awards
  • Established
That would be great, we could get a Yahoo league started up before the 6th, I'd be in.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good deal. Anyone else interested? Post up in here. I know a few more guys that would want in as well. If we can get this done over the next few days, i'll get a league up and going.

allstar

allstar

Awards
  • Established
I think it would be fun hopefully we can get a few more people.

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
Good deal. Anyone else interested? Post up in here. I know a few more guys that would want in as well. If we can get this done over the next few days, i'll get a league up and going.
Looks like we have a lost cause on hand. This is unfortunate, as it would have been alot of fun.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well...the sox home opener is postponed today due to rain. It's all good though; we'll just kick the rays ass tomorrow afternoon instead, woot!

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
well as the lone Yankee fan in here, I laugh at all of you. Sox are balanced? I guess John Smoltz at 40+ in the rotation is balanced :rofl:

Good luck boys

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
well as the lone Yankee fan in here, I laugh at all of you. Sox are balanced? I guess John Smoltz at 40+ in the rotation is balanced :rofl:

Good luck boys
Smoltz himself has more playoff experience than the entire yankee starting rotation alone; not to mention many of the sox starting rotation are proven and hardened playoff veterans. ;)

I don't deny the yanks starting rotation is pretty good, and on par with what the sox have to offer overall, but your bullpen has no-where-near the depth in comparison. Outside your closer, everyone else is pretty much unproven (especially middle relief.)

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sabathia was absolutely shelled tonight, lol! I think people only saw the good last year with him. Remember his stats with the indians?...he was freakin' aweful! I'll take Jon Lester over that clown anyday as arguably the best lefty in the majors (and lester beat him in the playoffs in '07 ;) ) New York is back in the cellar - right where they belong.

A 161 million dollar investment, eh? :laugh:

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
Sabathia was absolutely shelled tonight, lol! I think people only saw the good last year with him. Remember his stats with the indians?...he was freakin' aweful! I'll take Jon Lester over that clown anyday as arguably the best lefty in the majors (and lester beat him in the playoffs in '07 ;) ) New York is back in the cellar - right where they belong.

A 161 million dollar investment, eh? :laugh:
I love it!

Enough said.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
best lefty in the majors? Lester? (I also guess Johan Santana is a joke too) Wow, Red Sox colored glasses if I have ever seen them. Actually CC won a CY Young with the Indians. Lets not cloud our judgement with 161 games left. :rolleyes:

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Smoltz himself has more playoff experience than the entire yankee starting rotation alone; not to mention many of the sox starting rotation are proven and hardened playoff veterans. ;)

I don't deny the yanks starting rotation is pretty good, and on par with what the sox have to offer overall, but your bullpen has no-where-near the depth in comparison. Outside your closer, everyone else is pretty much unproven (especially middle relief.)
COme on, the one thing that Yanks haver truly lacked over the years has been starting pitching and they now have arguably the best 5 man rotation in baseball. Add in guys back from injury last year (Matsui and Posada) and then make the argument that the regualrs will have an average year, and then add it Cano to be his regular self instead of roughly 40 points below average, and the Yankees will be very, very good.

I agree about the middle relief. However if the starts can give a good 6-7 on average they should be ok

The Sox starting rotation is no where near as good, Brad Penny?

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
best lefty in the majors? Lester? (I also guess Johan Santana is a joke too) Wow, Red Sox colored glasses if I have ever seen them. Actually CC won a CY Young with the Indians. Lets not cloud our judgement with 161 games left. :rolleyes:
As far as a comparison with sabathia - Yes, lester is a more complete pitcher imo; and better yet, he's playoff proven as well. Not to mention his story speaks volumes in itself. Look around in the baseball world...last year he was being praised as arguable the best lefty in the game all year long. How about that no-hitter to support that case. ;)

Sabathia was shelled by the orioles? The freakin' orioles - who are probably one of the weakest teams in the entire league. Sabathia was lit-up for 6 earned runs, and 5 walks and 0 strike outs to go with it. Cy young and 161 million dollar man numbers all the way there. :rolleyes:

In regard to santana, he hasn't been the same pitcher since he's been with the mets. He's good, but not dominant like he was at one point.

Yeah, and what happened the year after his cy young with the indians? The following season with cleveland was absolutely aweful. I think you yankee fans probably expect a lot more than you're going to get from sabathia. The yankees are a team full of mercenaries. That's been their problem for a long time now, because you can put the stars on a team, but you can't produce a team chemistry from that to win a championship.

Yup - 161 games left. Have fun riding it out in the cellar. I missed the smack talk. :D

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
:laugh:
COme on, the one thing that Yanks haver truly lacked over the years has been starting pitching and they now have arguably the best 5 man rotation in baseball. Add in guys back from injury last year (Matsui and Posada) and then make the argument that the regualrs will have an average year, and then add it Cano to be his regular self instead of roughly 40 points below average, and the Yankees will be very, very good.

I agree about the middle relief. However if the starts can give a good 6-7 on average they should be ok

The Sox starting rotation is no where near as good, Brad Penny?
You can't be serious? No where near as good? I think you need to take the yankee blinders off. :rolleyes: The sox even in their starting rotation have more depth in terms of pitching. Beckett, Lester, Matsuzaka - arguably the best 1-2-3 men in the game. Not to mention you have wakefield, penny, smoltz, and bucholz to add to the dynamic of balance and depth. The best part - they didn't spend 300+ million to have that rotation either. I don't know what people think is so special about A.J. Burnett either. His career stats aren't impressive by any means for the money he got. He's right around a career .500 pitcher.

The sox have arguably the best bullpen in the game as well, which further adds to their case. Starting pitching isn't crap if you can't finish out the game. You had better pray your middle relief can at least put up average numbers; if not, it's going to be a long season, brah. ;)

All in good fun here adam, so thanks for participating. :)

spres444

spres444

Awards
  • Established
our bullpen is balling, and we have one of the best closers in j pappps

ps. john you know where ill be at 4:05? yea monster seats bayybayy

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
our bullpen is balling, and we have one of the best closers in j pappps

ps. john you know where ill be at 4:05? yea monster seats bayybayy
You bastard! :D

Man - i hope to get up to a few games this year, but with the wife being pregnant, i'm not sure if and when. It's just not the same seeing them here in tampa. :(

spres444

spres444

Awards
  • Established
yea i know its not the same as downing 8$ beers and 5$ hotdogs :)

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Soem facts

As far as a comparison with sabathia - Yes, lester is a more complete pitcher imo; and better yet, he's playoff proven as well. Not to mention his story speaks volumes in itself. Look around in the baseball world...last year he was being praised as arguable the best lefty in the game all year long. How about that no-hitter to support that case. ;)

Sabathia was shelled by the orioles? The freakin' orioles - who are probably one of the weakest teams in the entire league. Sabathia was lit-up for 6 earned runs, and 5 walks and 0 strike outs to go with it. Cy young and 161 million dollar man numbers all the way there. :rolleyes:

In regard to santana, he hasn't been the same pitcher since he's been with the mets. He's good, but not dominant like he was at one point.

Yeah, and what happened the year after his cy young with the indians? The following season with cleveland was absolutely aweful. I think you yankee fans probably expect a lot more than you're going to get from sabathia. The yankees are a team full of mercenaries. That's been their problem for a long time now, because you can put the stars on a team, but you can't produce a team chemistry from that to win a championship.

Yup - 161 games left. Have fun riding it out in the cellar. I missed the smack talk. :D
I will grant you he was off tomorrow, but lets look at last years stats, the year after the cy young

for the Indians in 2008, 18 starts, 3 complete games, 2 shut outs, 3.83 era (in the fricken American league), I think his stuff with hte Brewers is self explanatory, considering he almost won the cy young in the NL on a half a season.

In terms of the rotations:
Beckett, Dice K and Lester v. CC, AJ and Wang? Edge to the Yanks IMO. Also think about Pettite wins 14 last year and has an off year. I will grant you I like Lester as a pitcher and his story is amazing what he overcame. However, his body of work does not compete with CC's at this point

pretty darm good

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I will grant you he was off tomorrow, but lets look at last years stats, the year after the cy young

for the Indians in 2008, 18 starts, 3 complete games, 2 shut outs, 3.83 era (in the fricken American league), I think his stuff with hte Brewers is self explanatory, considering he almost won the cy young in the NL on a half a season.

In terms of the rotations:
Beckett, Dice K and Lester v. CC, AJ and Wang? Edge to the Yanks IMO. Also think about Pettite wins 14 last year and has an off year. I will grant you I like Lester as a pitcher and his story is amazing what he overcame. However, his body of work does not compete with CC's at this point

pretty darm good
Let's just talk about playoff experience and success when comparing those 6. Enough said. :D

Some food for thought:

http://soxblog.projo.com/2008/12/sabathias-playo.html

How do you figure his body of work doesn't compare? Their "bodies" certainly don't in a literal sense. :laugh: Has sabathia won a world series game? Has he pitched a no-hitter? Has he proven himself when it actually matters in the playoffs? The answer is no. Lester would be a yes to all 3. :D

We'll see in due time, adam. I just miss the sh*t talking with yankee fans, haha. At this point though - the advantage goes to the sox by a landslide imo, especially in terms of playoff experience and success with these two starting rotations. The "Pedroia Destroy-ah" is coming for you as well, NY!! :bandit:

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
HI John. Just to put things in perspective, Even with the 2 recent World series wins, the Red Sox will always be in the shadow of the Yankees, hence the hate:laugh:. Carry on

:bruce3:

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lester v. CC, granted physically htere are some differences :), however cy young? carrying a team into the playoffs pitching every 3rd day?

Gotta love the trash talk

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
HI John. Just to put things in perspective, Even with the 2 recent World series wins, the Red Sox will always be in the shadow of the Yankees, hence the hate:laugh:. Carry on

:bruce3:
I think right now that shadow has fallen over ol' NY. 26 WS championships is impressive, and so is blowing a 3-0 lead in the ALCS; with the culmination of that colossal collapse taking effect in your own house. Both for the record books. :laugh:

We now have 7 WS championships - 1 game away last year from 3 WS appearances in 5 years. You can't deny the continuity of success the Sox have had - and based on the solid foundation and structure of the current team, it's only bound to continue. Many more championships to come. :burnout:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lester v. CC, granted physically htere are some differences :), however cy young? carrying a team into the playoffs pitching every 3rd day?

Gotta love the trash talk
I loves the trash talk, and how i missed it so. :D

And the sox just beat the rays baby, haha!! Beckett was freakin' DOMINANT - 7.0 IP, 2 hits, 1 ER, 10 K's, 3 BB. Now there's an ACE baby!

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
Yanks bullpen is shot. I dont care what you say, but bullpens can determine everything. Look at the Mets the last 2 years. All bullpen. Look at the Sox, Bullpen.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
its funny last year sox fans said it was all rotation, the yankees addressed that, now its bullpen? Gotta love Sox fans :rofl:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yanks bullpen is shot. I dont care what you say, but bullpens can determine everything. Look at the Mets the last 2 years. All bullpen. Look at the Sox, Bullpen.
It's true. If you can't finish out a game, the effort by your starter is wasted. The sox beat sooo many teams last year because of terrible middle relief in the late innings.

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
Im not a sox fan. Im just spitting the truth. You cant sit there and tell me you were syked when the yanks signed A.J.-Ive been on the DL 10 times in my career-Burnett.

180 mil for a 1b who has had 1 postseason under his belt? Yanks built there dominant teams from the farm. Until the learn, theyll keep losing. Look at the Rays.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
look at their team now, a good portion is homegrown. 3 out of 5 in the rotation is home grown. CF, SS, C, 2B, Cl all homegrown. So is a good portion of the bullpen. What else you got? :)