Yams vs. Sweet Potatos....difference?

Atlas

Awards
Hey, I am using Yams as my new carb source....wanted to know if Yams and Sweet Potatos are the same thing or if there is any difference? Does anyone know the nutrient break down of a yam and it's rating on the G.I. Index? Thanks guys.

Atlas

Awards
Does anyone here prefer one over the other for taste and nutritional value?

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
sweet potatos are great. Add in some cinnamon, that fake "spray-butter", and a little splenda....wow...good stuff.

Kris

Board Supporter
Awards
I love sweetpotato fires, Cut the sweetpotato like you would make steak fries, cover them in olive oil and top with kosher salt. Place them on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven till crispy
:food:

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
I love sweetpotato fires, Cut the sweetpotato like you would make steak fries, cover them in olive oil and top with kosher salt. Place them on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven till crispy
:food:
That's my new kick!! Good sht!

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
+1000 on that!!! Ill take a hand full of those of this damn brown rice any day of the freakin' week :)

BV

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
I havent even tried either of those, man I have been missin out. I am sooooo bored with brown rice.

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
sweet taters are the best freaking thing on earth. they are actually not bad cold.. at lease fries.. sheesh.. my god... they are cool... the best thing al gore ever invented!

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
One of the great laments of my life is that I cannot palate "sweet potatoes or yams" yeeeuck! I am force to eat the white potato family,...I did learn a great way to reduce the glycemic index ratio by saturating the starch with a reduction inhibitor,...butter!!!

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Damn, I thought I was being original. I just posted a thread for how to make sweet potato fries (it's very simple) and then I read this thread and saw the same thing in the conversation.

BigP0ppa3

Awards
  • Established
You will almost never see a real yam in any US grocery store.

Anything marketed as a "yam" here is really just a different type of sweet potato, like the jewel, golden, or red variety.

Yams are huge, weights up to 150lbs are not uncommon.

BP

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Damn, I thought I was being original. I just posted a thread for how to make sweet potato fries (it's very simple) and then I read this thread and saw the same thing in the conversation.

LOL I saw that same recipe in Sams club monthly circular :D

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
LOL I saw that same recipe in Sams club monthly circular :D
You belong to Sam's Club? LUCKY! I can't remember where I got that recipe from, but it wasn't the Sam's Club circular...

drumirvin

Awards
Big Poppa is totally right...they are tubers or roots and it is up to the "store" to call em' what they wish...the original yam can be found in parts of the world like southeastern Asia, parts of Africa (nyami=yam) and Latin America..Christopher Columbus took them (the little orange one's we love so much) back to Europe and gave them the name, hence sweetpotato. ...true yams are from the Dioscoreae family root vegetable.
1 cup of sweet potatos or 200 grams is 180 cals with 41g of carbs and 4g of protein....lot's of beta carotene and it even has healing properties..helps stabilize blood sugar levels and lowers insulin resistance, and is high in Vit B6 and C
Ok so I am a nerd... but you guys should try them twice baked...mmmmmm!!!.....that's how good they are!
just my three cents..
Drum

biscuite

Awards
I like a sweet potato just about anyway it's prepped.

bis