General Tso's chicken

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
This may be hard to create if you can not find the main sauce ingredient...

What you'll need for the chicken:

+defrosted chicken breasts
+1 egg
+breading of your choice

What you'll need for the sauce:

Mr Yoshedia's oriental sauce
green onion
garlic
honey

Defrost your chicken breasts and cut into cubes/pieces.
1 egg in a bowl and stir until completely yellow
Place cut up chicken in the egg, and then into a tub with the breading.
Place breaded pieces on a tray and put into oven (or toaster oven)
~400 degess for 10 min / flip and another 10min.

___While this is cooking, you will prepare the souce____

You will need a sauce called "Mr. Yoshedia" - ITs a sweet oriental sauce- very nice!! 1 cup

Cut up some garlic cloves into thin slices (or you can used pre minced) ~4 /5 cloves
Chop (finely) some green onion. (About 4-5 onion shoots)

Put onion, garlic and sauce into pan. Simmer for 10 min.

Turn off burner.
add 3-4 tbsp honey and mix.

Take your chicken out of the oven, and combine.

You can use any kind of rice with this, but I actually like whole wheat noodles.

ALL these items you can buy in bulk.
a half gal of garlic is around $7.
Green onion is under $1 (plus, you can take the roots and place them in water and get another yield out of them :)
The wheat noodles are $1 a pack
Half gall of honey is about $7
Yoshedia's is around $5-6
Chicken is,.. well, you already know that:lol:

The honey and garlic will last for what seems like FOREVER.

Attachments

Last edited:
CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
If I can find this sauce locally, I will surely try this out. Good job!

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'll post a picture of it when I get a chance.
It really is one hellova sauce

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
Nice recipe!

I'm looking forward to taking a crack at this.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I added the sauce pics, and what the dish looks like .
Made it last night :thumbsup:

mrchristian

mrchristian

Awards
  • Established
Oh daaaaaaaaaamn that looks tasty.... Im going out at lunch and seeing if my grocery store carries Mr. Yoshida's!

Any idea on the nutritional info breakdown?

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
General Tso is usually loaded with a ton of sugar from the sauce. I have made it many of times and just watched how much sauce I added. It is still a fried food. But it is really good. For good recipes check YouTube.

mrchristian

mrchristian

Awards
  • Established
My grocery store doesn't carry Yoshida's! I must locate it!

macedaddy

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
any idea on the calories in that flossy?

BTW, how you been?

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That looks hella good!!!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice recipe flossy!

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
nice post buddy... i love this stuff...

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
yeah tell me about it. This doesn't seem like a cheap sauce. I may get the Iron Chef's general Tso's or the Iron Chef's Sesame Garlic instead. Those are at the same website for $5.50

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah tell me about it. This doesn't seem like a cheap sauce. I may get the Iron Chef's general Tso's or the Iron Chef's Sesame Garlic instead. Those are at the same website for $5.50
Yea man I would rather shoot myself , than pay that much for some sweet-n-sour sauce. Just go to mcDonalds and rob the sweetnsour...:lol: Tell em Tripdog sent you..ahahahah

But seriously that sememe garlic sounds a ton better bro!

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
I think thats the one i'm gonna go with.

haha really if it's THAT much of a dilemma, I can get both and still pay less than getting that other one.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Oh daaaaaaaaaamn that looks tasty.... Im going out at lunch and seeing if my grocery store carries Mr. Yoshida's!

Any idea on the nutritional info breakdown?

WEll, basicly, I wanted to be able to make the dish withOUT the 75+ grams of fat that cpomes with it when you order it out.
It has sugar in the sauce, but about 10g carbs/tblsp
I add honey to it for taste and thickens the sauce. But I saw somwthing that might be able to do that I want to try.

Nutritionally, its not that bad- I was ment to be a higher cal meal, I seem to need higher cal meals so,..
But really its just chicken, sauce and either pasta or rice, so yo ucvan easily adjust as needed.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
any idea on the calories in that flossy?

BTW, how you been?

Would you beleive I had been looking for a job since Jan !!!! Just started a sweetone yesterday. I've kept busy though.

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is how I make mine, to keep it low in fat and in sugar.

Make sure the fryer is hot. If it is not hot enough the oil will soak in the meat more. When it is breaded and the oil is hot, as soon as you drop it in the breading should crisp up right away this makes a barrier and also keeps the natural moisture of the chicken in. After it is done I strain the chicken letting all the oil come out, then I pat it down with a dry paper towel.

The sauce should be...

Dark Soy Sauce
Sherry Wine
Rice Vinegar
Ginger
Garlic
Green Onion
Cayenne Pepper
Sugar

To make the sauce you mix all the ingredients, but I leave out the sugar. I add sugar once the sauce in boiling and only a little bit at a time until it is the right thickness. Remeber the more thick the sauce the more sugar. My sauce is runny. Also when it is hot it will be more runny than when it is cool. So you may have the right consistentcy but when it cools you have something similar to gelatin.

Most people add the chicken to the sauce, but this over saturates the breading making it wet and giving you more sauce aka sugar than you need. After you make your sauce put it in a seperate dish and add the sauce to the chicken, just enough to coat it.

Do it this way and you will be cutting excess sugar and fat from the recipe.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have wanted to expirement with coating the chicken in flour, and using very little oil, but for some reason I cant remember to get flour when at the store :lol:

But when I bread the chicken, I have a toaster over that I cook the ck\hicken with (If I just dont use PAM so it acts like oil) - I can shower while it is cooking this way (with the toaster oven)

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yea man I would rather shoot myself , than pay that much for some sweet-n-sour sauce. Just go to mcDonalds and rob the sweetnsour...:lol: Tell em Tripdog sent you..ahahahah

But seriously that sememe garlic sounds a ton better bro!
Tripp- the sauce is about $5-6 , and comes in a pretty large container.
Some places carry it, some do not. I have just always bought mine at Costco.

Using one cup each time, you can make this quite a few times ( one bottle is 52oz)

(also, when I cook this, I make enough for me to eat, plus 1, with having some left over for lunch = about 3 large chicken breasts)

Orangepeel

Orangepeel

Awards
  • Established
damn this recipe! I spent like 45 minutes looking for this sauce at giant tonight, and came home without it!

Now Im in the mood for General Tso's chicken, and I just might have to get some from a chinese restaurant.