help with max bench?

Truck 44

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
so far my best bench is 370 after working up to it, through some sets. My goal is to get atleast 405. I am having a problem with a sticking point in the middle portion of the bench press. I bench in a very controled manner, I touch my chest pause for a second then press it. I can push more than 370 off my chest but I have that sticking point, so far 370 is the most I have been able to lock out. It is almost like a dead spot. any advice on how to get past this sticking point? I am trying strengthen my triceps, I thought this may be my weak link. Any suggestions. Thanks

here is an example of some of my sets and reps working up to the max:

135X10
225X6-7
280X6
315X5-6
335X2
then try for max

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
nice bench, 370 is awesome.

you may want to try some WSB principles.
if you decide to do it or not, you can use a board press for the spot that you usually get stuck at. I made a board thats about 4" above my chest--my sticking point.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
do board presses, 3 and 4 boards for 2sets of 5. it will help, or you could get some bands and start with them

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
board presses are basically you get 2, 3 or 4 2x4's, cut them in a little bit longer than 12-15" pieces and nail them together, then have someone hold them on your chest and just bring the bar down to the board and press it back up.

and i got my bands from here http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/Fitness_Bands/fitness_bands.html

if you get them from there just get the intermediate package, it's all you really need for now.

Truck 44

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
how do you anchor the bands down? thanks for the help.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
some benches have band attachments, but we have 160lb dumbells i use, basically i put on end on the dumbell, bring it over the bar then down on the dumbell again(you need 2 people do to this at the same time). i put the dumbell right where the bar would hit my chest. make sure you have a good spotter though and have him pay very close attention, that bar can get wild really quick if you're not used to it. look at my saturday workouts, that's my top end work day. if you dont get it remind me and i'll take a picture on saturday for you.

ivydude

Board Supporter
Awards
how do you anchor the bands down? thanks for the help.
If you have 2 bands (1 per side) you can anchor each down with a heavy DB. If you have only one band, you can run it underneath the bench from one side of the BB to the other (be sure to have a person to help pull the band at the same time as you so the weight is distributed evenly).

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If you have only one band, you can run it underneath the bench from one side of the BB to the other (be sure to have a person to help pull the band at the same time as you so the weight is distributed evenly).
those are a good way to do it too, just have to be careful the band doesnt roll up the bottom of the bench

Truck 44

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
One more question if I only have the money to get one band right now which one would you recomend? Thanks

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
if you're using them for bench, get the purple one, but you should really save up for 2, it's a lot safer

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
and at ironwoody the #3 is $32 for a pair, and they will last forever as long as you take care of them

ivydude

Board Supporter
Awards
Also when doing the board presses, take a medium grip, and when doing band presses or any dynamic bench work take a medium grip for half your sets and a "closer" grip for the other half.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
no problem, anytime you need help just ask. :) and take a tape measure to the gym, hold the bar right about wehre you get stuck, have someone measure it and do boards from below where your sticking point is.

and the elitefts stuff is really nice, but a little too pricey for my tastes.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
actually, i was told to take a competition grip(wide grip index fingers on rings) on board work for all sets. and if you do pause work do a closer grip, ring finger on rings

ivydude

Board Supporter
Awards
actually, i was told to take a competition grip(wide grip index fingers on rings) on board work for all sets. and if you do pause work do a closer grip, ring finger on rings
I think the grip would depend more on muscle weak-points more than anything else, but most WSB programs I've see use a medium grip. I think if you're weak in the middle of the lift it may help to emphasize the tris a little more on board work and then bring it out on the regular BB press (theoretically you'll be adding more chest muscle then to your then stronger tri's). Also, when you say "pause work" do you do that without boards?

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
yea, on wed i do pause work, let it sit on my chest for a 2 count then press, helps work the bottom end

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You are probably arleady able to bench more than 370 but it looks like your doing to many reps in the warm up. Try doing 50% 5 reps, 60% 3, 70% 2, 80% 1, 90% 1, 95% 1. So basicaly for 370 it would go 185x5 225x3 260x2 295x1 335x1 350x1. Also if your sticking point is in the middle you might want to try floor presses with a medium to wide grip.

chevelleman

Awards
You are probably arleady able to bench more than 370 but it looks like your doing to many reps in the warm up. Try doing 50% 5 reps, 60% 3, 70% 2, 80% 1, 90% 1, 95% 1. So basicaly for 370 it would go 185x5 225x3 260x2 295x1 335x1 350x1. Also if your sticking point is in the middle you might want to try floor presses with a medium to wide grip.
I'm with jstrong on this one. I have worked with floor presses in the power rack many times and they really help work the top of your bench. The great part is that you can adjust the height so you can start where you are already sticking. If you really want to have some fun you can put some chains on the ends of the bars for added resistance.
Nice numbers BTW. Good luck!

GettingSwole

GettingSwole

Awards
As far as bands are concerened I have used both the "Iron Woody" and the "Jumpstreatch" sold by EFS. The Iron Woody bands are no where close to the qualty of the jumpstreatch bands. Spend the extra few bucks and by the JS ones, in the long run you will not regreat it.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
As far as bands are concerened I have used both the "Iron Woody" and the "Jumpstreatch" sold by EFS. The Iron Woody bands are no where close to the qualty of the jumpstreatch bands. Spend the extra few bucks and by the JS ones, in the long run you will not regreat it.
this isnt me trying to sound like a dick, but how so? i forgot both of my purples one day, so i used one of my purples from ironwoody and then one of the elite purples that my gym had, and honestly there was no difference in the tension on either side.

GettingSwole

GettingSwole

Awards
this isnt me trying to sound like a dick, but how so? i forgot both of my purples one day, so i used one of my purples from ironwoody and then one of the elite purples that my gym had, and honestly there was no difference in the tension on either side.
No offense taken bro.

The quality of the JS ones is much higher. The tension my be similiar but the durability and the "feel" is much better with the JS ones. Maybe my gym got a bad batch of IW bands, all I know is what I have experienced which is the IW bands fail much sooner and just look/feel to be a lower quality then the JS bands.

Truck 44

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
tried the bands a little bit on friday, it felt really unsteady, I had to fight with the bar to keep it under control, is this normal, till you get used to it?

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
tried the bands a little bit on friday, it felt really unsteady, I had to fight with the bar to keep it under control, is this normal, till you get used to it?
yes, the first time i did it thank god i had boards on my chest, because it came right down and pinned me to the bench. the second time i did them it was a lot better, you knwo what's going on. how did you end up anchoring the bands?

Truck 44

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I used our gyms 110lbs dumbells, those are the heaviest we have in our gym. I think I need to play with dumbells positions some, it felt like the bands were pulling the bar out of my power groove a little bit.

I looped one end of the bands on the dumbell pulled the band over the bar, and looped the other end of the band on the dumbell. Is this the right way?

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I used our gyms 110lbs dumbells, those are the heaviest we have in our gym. I think I need to play with dumbells positions some, it felt like the bands were pulling the bar out of my power groove a little bit.

I looped one end of the bands on the dumbell pulled the band over the bar, and looped the other end of the band on the dumbell. Is this the right way?
yup that's the right way, and i put the dumbells right where the bar would touch my chest(my raw groove is top of belly to face) basically when the bar is on top of the boards or belly the bands are perpendicular(sp?) to the ground, understand? did you do them off of boards too?

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
and truck44 you should post your log here

Truck 44

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
yup, I understand. Nope have not tried the boards yet, I was doing legs friday, but decided to play with the bands a little, so I could see what they were like, figure how to set them up, so it would not take so much time on chest day. plus I was excited to try them out.

Thanks again for the help.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
yup, I understand. Nope have not tried the boards yet, I was doing legs friday, but decided to play with the bands a little, so I could see what they were like, figure how to set them up, so it would not take so much time on chest day. plus I was excited to try them out.

Thanks again for the help.
yup no problem, anytime

Truck 44

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
you know I have been thinking about posting my workout log here, but I could not make up my mind whether to or not. I think I will, it would give me a chance to get some feedback and maybe some suggestions, that will help my progress, or maybe someone else's.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
you know I have been thinking about posting my workout log here, but I could not make up my mind whether to or not. I think I will, it would give me a chance to get some feedback and maybe some suggestions, that will help my progress, or maybe someone else's.
it's a good thing to do, my log is on 3 different boards, haha

mab904

mab904

Awards
I trained bench with bands for the first time today. Different feel to the weight and sorta unsteady the first time I unracked it, but I liked it. Have any of you guys used the mini bands on a hammer strength wide chest machine? Really awesome for the tris. :head:

anadrol75

Awards
it will take a little time to get used to them. stick with it and you will not be let down.

BHR84

Banned
Awards
Hey, im new to the forum, i follow along alot but i just now joined. Im 17 and the best i have ever done on my bench is 325. I dont know alot about these bands you guys are talking about but i used to have that point where you get "stuck". I got the weight off my chest really good but i think it was the transition to my triceps. So i worked really hard on getting my tris stronger and no longer had the problem.

Truck 44

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
BHR84, yea I have been concentrating on making my triceps stronger, I figured it would help, definately can't hurt. I even cut weight on stuff like skull crushers to make sure my form was perfect, it is now and I am working my way back up in weight.

Update: did some pressing with the bands tonight, they are starting to feel better I am getting more used to them. I tried to work on my acceleration and explosiveness. I like the feel of the bands.

Truck 44

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
thanks for the Ideas on the warmup Jstrong20, I tried them tonight and it was an almost perfect warmup, worked really well for me. Thanks

Kish

Awards
Hey truck...my first trainer on the bench was John Kuc...see York Barbell hall of fame...he was incredibly strong...6-700 lb bench if memory serves.
If your sticking point is low in the movement your chest and back need to be worked on...if the sticking point is mid range and up it's front shoulders and tri's.
He had me do heavy close grips, weighted dips and heavy military press.
Tri 's and front shoulders were very important...and do not forget abs...they will help tremendously.
I'm only 5'7 , 185 and nearly 40 yrs old I'm still able to put up 385 and hope to be at 405 before the 40th b day in Sept. Let me know how you make out.

Truck 44

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
thanks for the help, Kish, and by the way nice numbers

Kish

Awards
Hey Truck what kind of weights are you handling? I notice your only 26 ...you should still have a fairly quick recovery time at that age...keep me posted on the progress if your weights...I had a great teacher and I like to help people with training.Kish

Kish

Awards
hey truck I know all about putting in the hard days. I own a landscape design co. and we do pavers nearly everyday. All bull work and if you want it done right you have to do it yourself ...lol. I will try to keep you up to date...i log about 65 -70 hrs a week, a twelve year old daughter...and so on. I think I'm going to enter a masters contest in October...after I turn 40 (not used to saying that) I think I have a shot at the 180lb class bp. I want to go in with a 405 or better. I got closer last night 390 and it felt pretty good. Gettin old sucks lots of aches and pains, doesn't help with a physical job. Your routine did seem to be a little long. I stick to 5 - 6 set of flat bench, 4-5 inclines then dumbell flats and a machine or two.
I will try to clarify it in log form. take care hope your feeling better.

Truck 44

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
kish, man it sounds like you have a lot on your plate. Good Luck with your competition, I am sure you will do well. If you have time post your log here, I would love to see it maybe give me some ideas, at least get my mind rolling. I have always been told that I do to much in my workouts, and train to long. but I have that complex where, if I don't do a certain amount of work I feel like I am cheating myself, or have not worked hard enough.

Kish

Awards
Truck,
How is the bench going? Just following up. I started a cycle of Pro 25 and so far no results...the bench has been at a stand still...might be from starting back to work and the warmer weather, but I might just be hitting a wall...Keep me posted...Kish

Truck 44

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Kish, the bench is coming a long. I pushed up 370 two weeks ago, which is the most I have ever got up, but It was a lot easier than before. I was able to push it up without the bar slowing down to much, or stopping at my sticking point, this is a major improvement in my point of view. even though the numbers are not where I want them, I am stronger through the whole press, bands are helping out. also last max I was not feeling exactly great, had a long weekend, not enough sleep, had a little to much to drink.

I am planning on maxing tommorrow, hopefully it will be a good day. I will keep you posted.

I bet wth your type of job the heat really takes it out of you.

I don't know much about Pro 25. if you get a chance try the Mega Trn, I really liked that product one of my favorites. I liked it better than superdrol, ergomax and phera-plex. these are good products I just liked the Mega Trn better.

Truck 44

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
pushed up 380 tonight, I am stoked, it was pretty easy. went for 390 but did not get, got stuck at my sticking point.

Making progress and that is all that matters.