Max bench press help?

clint3612

Awards
I wanted to know by some experienced guys out there if i need to tweak some of my training schedules? I'm a 37 year old natural lifter (besides mild test boosters & creatine) that is wanting to finally crack the 400 lbs bench mark ( i'm at 355 + or - now). I pretty much some Westside stuff. I have a max day & a dynamic day. I started using chains and I trained with them for 4-5 weeks and i'm deloading now.

My two different max pyramids go like this--- 215 x8 , 255x 5 275x3 and three singles @ 310x1 and one back off set of 255x5 and a dynamic day later in the week. My chain pyramids go exactly like that but at the end I do 5 singles of 280lbs + 55-60 lbs chains at the top. That is a tough tough training cycle and i usually feel really beat up after that but i made good gains.

Of course I hit weighted heavy dips once a week, various Dave Tate insipired dumbell presses for tri's and things like that. I don't really have good enough help for board presses or floor presses--
Do y'all have any suggestions on some other things i can add or another routine I can hit to get slow steay gains?

dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

Awards
I wish I could help..Maybe the more experienced guys will chime ib
Best of luck

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
I have a thread pretty much dedicated to my bench training, but it has kind of turned into an overall journal here.

Anyway, to your point...

The solution is starring you in the face, change your pyramid structure to reflect a 5-10% growth a week.
If you need help explaining that or an example structure message me back and I will be glad to help further.

I wanted to know by some experienced guys out there if i need to tweak some of my training schedules? I'm a 37 year old natural lifter (besides mild test boosters & creatine) that is wanting to finally crack the 400 lbs bench mark ( i'm at 355 + or - now). I pretty much some Westside stuff. I have a max day & a dynamic day. I started using chains and I trained with them for 4-5 weeks and i'm deloading now.

My two different max pyramids go like this--- 215 x8 , 255x 5 275x3 and three singles @ 310x1 and one back off set of 255x5 and a dynamic day later in the week. My chain pyramids go exactly like that but at the end I do 5 singles of 280lbs + 55-60 lbs chains at the top. That is a tough tough training cycle and i usually feel really beat up after that but i made good gains.

Of course I hit weighted heavy dips once a week, various Dave Tate insipired dumbell presses for tri's and things like that. I don't really have good enough help for board presses or floor presses--
Do y'all have any suggestions on some other things i can add or another routine I can hit to get slow steay gains?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
if you are following a conjugate/westside template maybe there is some tweaking you can do to make it better. here is an awesome thread over on tnation.com that covers that started by a guy that has done some training under louie.

http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_strength/the_westside_method_thread

also, if you want a copy of the book of methods and other westside related material send me a PM.

maybe you can video tape yourself so we can help with any form issues.

here are also a couple of blog posts that are nice and quick ways to improve your bench"
http://deathlessperformance.blogspot.com/2012/03/bench-press-technique-upper-back-bad.html
http://deathlessperformance.blogspot.com/2012/03/breaking-news-strong-triceps-are-in.html

and check out mobilitywod.com for some thoracic work.