grip work for deadlifts

Wanker527

Wanker527

Awards
hey guys,

i'm fairly new to this forum and don't post much, i just read a lot. i've searched a bit and didn't find a ton about this but i was looking for some good exercises/routines for grip strength. my deadlift is basically stuck.

i'm up to 405x5 @ 6'2" 185lbs ~9-10%bf, but my grip has always been a problem and can't seem to break this barrier. i feel that my back/legs can take more, but my grip fails me. i tore nearly all the callouses off my hands going for 455 for a single when it slipped...with chalk...ouch! :(

i don't use straps and i've started doing static holds regularly, but am unsure on what sort of times i should be shooting for with the holds or what % of my 1rm i should be using. any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

-Brandon

lilman

Awards
i havenot done much of static holds, but maybe try partial deadlifts and do a hold. However i do find that doing gripping exercises really seems to help the deadlift. Try to find a gripping machine and go for 3x15 reps, the first had should all be full reps and then they will begin to be half reps or quarter move all the way up to 15 reps. If u cnat find a grip machine use barbell collars. STart out with one per hand if u have too, then move on to 2 per hand , and so forth

Wanker527

Wanker527

Awards
thanks for the input, bro.

i don't have access to a grip machine, but i do have one of those generic grippers that you can get at a sporting goods store. it's way too easy now though :whip: .i've been considering trying the COC grippers just for the heck of it. good idea or is there a better/cheaper option?

i was under the impression that there is a distinct difference between crushing grip strength and static grip strength...am i mistaken?

lilman

Awards
hey there is a difference, but each will help each other. For instance, powerlifting can help building and bodybuilding can help powerlifting. ( to an extent). Just try some thigns out and see waht works best

Gdawg

Awards
I've been looking into some different grippers lately too and am leaning towards an adjustable one made by Ivanko.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'd suggest plate pinches and static holds. Since your goal is strength I'd recommend working up to 10-15 seconds. I also recommend getting straps so you can work your back harder until your grip strength catches up.

red5marauder

Awards
I seem to remember reading an article by Charles Poiliquin on this subject he recommended two things. First, Ironman magazine sells a device called the super gripper that provides adjustable resisitance. check it out here : http://store.yahoo.com/homegym/supergripper.html Second, use different diameter bars, newyorkbarbells.com has olympic bars with 2", 2.5" and 3" handles.

Wanker527

Wanker527

Awards
thanks for all the suggestions guys! i looked into the grippers and i found the ivanko one faily cheap, so i'm gonna give it a shot. i'm back to the gym monday so i'll definitely give the plate pinches a try as well.

so you think i should get straps and just do extra grip work to catch up? i just have that little voice in my head that doesn't want to let me use straps, lol.

Wanker527

Wanker527

Awards
Second, use different diameter bars, newyorkbarbells.com has olympic bars with 2", 2.5" and 3" handles.
i'm glad you said this, as i remember a buddy of mine having some 2.5" dumbbells. he's lazy anymore and doesn't need them, so maybe he'll cut me a deal.

MrSkullCrusher

Awards
so you think i should get straps and just do extra grip work to catch up? i just have that little voice in my head that doesn't want to let me use straps, lol.
I personally say go with what the voices in ur head say!!LOL!!Just work on your grip more...That is my opinion but everyone is different!Sometimes U SHOULDNT listen to them voices but this time i think you should!:rofl: