Snatch Grip Deadlifts

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I just tried these the other day after traditional deadlifts and loved it, although I am significantly weaker in it versus traditional. Where do you guys fit these in? Doing them after traditional deadlifts killed me and my overhead pressing suffered greatly. My workouts are as follows:
Monday: Deadlift, Overhead Press, Pull Ups, Upright Rows
Thursday: Bench, Squat, Row, Farmers Walks

Maybe at the end of Monday's workout, or after squats on Thursday?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You're gonna be weaker in them, it's just poorer leverage than a competition style deadlift. Definitely smokes the upper back which will make overhead pressing harder. Hard to say where to fit them in. I'd leave them After regular deadliest because the bar is already on the floor and I'm philosophically against bending more than I have to. Your upper back will adapt to it. In the same vein, often squat before I deadlift, you get used to it. You just have to take the temporary hit for long term gain. But you can try fitting them in wherever you like.

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
I like snatch grip deadlifts, but I do snatches so I am biased lol. Even though leverage will be off, it works your upper back a lot more than a clean grip and will help with rows a lot

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
I find snatch grip deads give my left shoulder some discomfort. I believe it's more my mobility than anything though. One of the gyms I go to has a trap bar for deads and I absolutely love that.

avega17

Awards
  • Established
Do them after squats and then really work the back with rows. You could also take a less wide grip, in between conventional and snatch and switch back and forth every 3 weeks or so; that way you don't have to tax yourself with DLs twice per week, especially considering the amount of compounds you have per session.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
I usually do something along the lines of a 5x5 when I deadlift and I use a snatch grip for the first 3-4 sets. It hits the traps a little more and forces me to get lower off the block. I think this makes my heaviest set feel a lot easier because all of a sudden I've got a way stronger grip and I don't have to get so deep into the hole. Plus it keys me in to proper form because I've been cuing "get low, get low" for the last few sets.

If I'm using snatch grip deads solely for upper back work I usually alternate between deadlifts and rack pulls. I feel like if I'm just trying to stimulate the upper back it's just about loading that whole complex with a lot of weight, so rack pulls are fine in that sense. I'm pulling tonight.

MTPMJM

MTPMJM

Awards
  • Established
I change my accessory program every month, and this past month it consisted of doing Snatch Grip Deads after Skwats (531) followed by hammy glute work

I really frickin liked them. I also added Klokov Presses after OHP this past month so its been a very different month for me

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
I also added Klokov Presses after OHP this past month so its been a very different month for me
What do you think of the Klokov Press? I just added them in as accessory work and they're kicking my ass - I can only put up about 70% of my OHP.

MTPMJM

MTPMJM

Awards
  • Established
What do you think of the Klokov Press? I just added them in as accessory work and they're kicking my ass - I can only put up about 70% of my OHP.
I like em. I have to Push Press them due to some shoulder discomfort, but Im a huge fan of stabalizing overhead weight like that for leet gainz