Grip Strength and Deadlifts

rw357

Awards
Hello,

My deadlift is capped by lack of hand strength. I have been contemplating hooks or straps but am reluctant because I feel that will not help me get stronger hands/grip.

I was considering different grip strength products such as tyler grips, grip4orce and fat grips, (leaning towards grip4orce).

Anyone mind sharing some thoughts on grip strength in general, using aids for deadlifts (specifically hooks/straps), and/or the grip products?

I have tried the hook grip, I find it very uncomfortable, but will keep trying it.

Thanks in advance.

rw357

Awards
I use chalk. I workout in NYC, and I get evil looks because the chain i go to is more "fitness" club, but I can't even bench without chalk. My hands are really sweaty. I did bump into a pro the other day though, Jon Legrande. Very nice guy.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fat Gripz help with not only grip strength, but also alleviate tendinitis in the elbows.

lamonster14

lamonster14

Awards
You ever do plate pinches? When i played baseball in college we did them religiously along with wrist rollers and what have you. It helped me tremendously with grip. I always used t have to strap up for any dead over 375. I started doing little things like the pinches and pulled my pr 435x3 with no straps/chalk. It may all be mental but i cant argue with the result.

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Fat Gripz help with not only grip strength, but also alleviate tendinitis in the elbows.
What is the science behind it? Im assuming it has to do with the changes in forearm recruitment/changes in length and motion of the connective tissues. I have my own anecdotal observation but I never knew the full reasonings behind it, if you do id be interested in the mechanisms. I have tendinitis coupled with a radial nerve entrapment in my right elbow and the fat grips always help when it flares up.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What is the science behind it? Im assuming it has to do with the changes in forearm recruitment/changes in length and motion of the connective tissues. I have my own anecdotal observation but I never knew the full reasonings behind it, if you do id be interested in the mechanisms. I have tendinitis coupled with a radial nerve entrapment in my right elbow and the fat grips always help when it flares up.
Behind the tendinitis relief? It's primarily from more even weight distribution and it hits the extensors much harder compared to a standard bar, which put most of the work on the flexors.

compudog

compudog

Awards
Barbell rows, dumbbell rows, RDL, farmer's walk, basically pick up some heavy stuff and hang on. Also chalk.

rw357

Awards
Thanks everyone.

I will consider the fat grips, I will probably just give in and get them and use them on pulldowns and bent over barbell rows.

I guess I could add kroc rows as a finisher. The concept behind them is a new PR at something that you can do 20ish of everytime, right, where perfect form is not necessary?

As far as plate pinches, Lamonster if you could elaborate, I would appreciate it.

Hmm, I guess I could do one set of farmers after everything as well. Or maybe just add it to a day after I do my HIIT.

Thanks again.

houstontexas

Awards
  • Established
Wow that's nice to know. I have a pair and haven't used them all that much since I got back in the gym. I'm having tendinitis flare ups in both elbows so I will start using these again after reading that. Thanks man.

houstontexas

Awards
  • Established
I've got cubital nerve entrapment at the elbow so I feel your pain. Hopefully this helps with that as well.

rw357

Awards
Looks like Rodja just got like 4 sales for Fat Gripz, he may be a rep soon.

audix2359

audix2359

Awards
If your grip is a limiting factor, I suggest using a hook grip.

sugardaddy69

sugardaddy69

Awards
try monkey grip for difference it helps me sometimes but I feel best stability with straps, and you still have to grip unlike with hooks.

what else reeves rows for example but it either takes time or you just have a ****ty grip and honestly nothing helps