The Texas Method | Pro's and Con's

Lifting_Dad

Lifting_Dad

Awards
It is considered the intermediate or next step from the Starting Strength training program. It is rather simple in its' design with a core component to improve strength in a progressive manner.

The Texas Method has you training three days per week. Each day is considered a full body workout, where you will Squat and do upper body. Monday is the highest volume day of the week, Wednesday is considered a light day, and Friday has the heaviest weights, considered to be the “intensity day”.

Monday – Volume Day

Squat 5×5 at 90% of 5 rep max
Bench Press or OHP 5×5 at 90% of 5 rep max
Deadlift 1×5 at 90% of 5 rep max
Wednesday – Light/Recovery Day

Squat 2×5 at 80% of Mondays weight
OHP (if you benched on Monday) 3×5 at a slightly lighter load than previous 5×5. Bench Press (if you OHP on Monday) 3×5 at 90% of previous 5×5 weight.
Chin Ups 3x bodyweight
Back Extensions or glute-ham raises 5×10
Friday – Intensity Day

Squats warmup, then work up in singles or doubles to one single, new 5RM
Bench Press (if you bench pressed Monday) or overhead press (if OHP on Monday), warm-up, then work up in singles or doubles to one single, new 5RM
Power Cleans 5 x 3 reps or power snatch, 6 x 2 reps
You want Friday’s weights higher than Monday’s, but not so much that form breaks down on the last reps. If it does, you picked a weight that is too heavy.

The key to the Texas Method is not workout-to-workout progress, but rather weekly progress. You are trying to progress on your Monday and Friday lifts. Once you have accomplished the prescribed lifts, increase the weight for the next week.

Resource: An in-depth look at the Texas Method - LIFT.net

Lifting_Dad

Lifting_Dad

Awards
I posted this up as I'm curious to see who has used the Texas method. I am also curious what modifications you made or would make.
I am currently doing a variation of the Texas method, which is likely to piss some people off (because if it's modified it is no longer the texas method).

I look at most routines as a template (others do the same) and then make their changes to the program to fit their needs.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
wfreiling Training Forum 13
Training Forum 31
bigead Training Forum 13
Training Forum 11
firemedic840 Powerlifting/Strongman 3