Texas Method

bigead

bigead

Awards
I have been running a four day split version of the TX method for about 8 months and have made great gains and hit my pr goals on DL and squat of 500lbs. My question is training at my new pr has become pretty stout and hard to finish especially on volume days. I know you can focus on intensity if volume stalls and vice versa, but I was thinking maybe it is time to switch to a different program? I also need to cut some body fat and was thinking of switching to a body build format, not to clear on what the difference is? Or perhaps I just need to keep trudging through the TX method as I would hate to loose my strength gains. Thoughts?

Thanks

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sounds like you may have grown out of the method. There are many programs you could choose from. Cube, PHAT, 5/3/1, Juggernaut, 10/20/Life. Learn a little bit about as many programs as you can find and see what you want to do.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I did jay cutlers living large program for 8 weeks and saw great results. I'd maybe give that a shot. Or Arnold's blueprint program.

JTR12

Banned
Awards
Hitting big compounds repeatedly for months on end is eventually going to have your CNS rebelling. You might want to consider backing off on them and focusing more on hypertrophy for awhile, but muscle gain and fat loss isn't usually achieved (with any real result) simultaneously. If you want to drop some fat first, I'd get into a higher-rep routine to give your body a break, then return to the heavier work for a cut. You want to keep lifts up in a caloric deficit so your body "thinks" it needs to preserve the muscle at all costs.

bigead

bigead

Awards
Thanks for the ideas, that will give me enough options to consider.

bigead

bigead

Awards
Cube looks interesting, plus its on the BLK Iron BST calc.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
if you want to shed fat, get your diet in check. also cube has you train the main lift like a powerlifter, accessory work like a bodybuilder, and conditioning like a strongman. so i bet you will love it.

bigead

bigead

Awards
Yes diet is my main issue, got a sugar jones I have to let go of. Diet has been the least of my focus for the last 4 years of lifting heavy, thats about to change.

Lifting_Dad

Lifting_Dad

Awards
Yes diet is my main issue, got a sugar jones I have to let go of. Diet has been the least of my focus for the last 4 years of lifting heavy, thats about to change.
Whats the main goal? Strength? Powerlifting competition?

Goals are going to determine the next step.

Post up your current program to see how it's laid out on a 4 day scheme.
If powerlifting is your goal, the next phase will be pretty damn epic for you.

bigead

bigead

Awards
Here is the last week of my program as I left it, I'm now into my first week of cube. I used the layout for cube from black iron beast. I already feel like Im losing strength from lack of heavy volume. My goals were to hit that 500 pr, which I hit. Now problem now I want to loose body fat (5'11" and 268#) and I know I need to get serious with my diet, but I have been blowing it off. I also do not really want to loose my strength gains either as I will be 44 soon and I'm not how long I will keep gaining strength at my age. I will also need a new power rack soon with a higher weight limit.

I alternated weeks from press focus or bench focus.

Bench 5x5- 265
Press 3x8- 170
LTE 3x10 - 80,

Squat 5x5 – 415
Power clean 5x3 -160
GHR 3x10
Chins 3x10

Bench 5x1 315
Press 1x3 215
Dips 3x15

Squat 5RM/5x1- 500
DL 5RM/1x2- 500
BBROW 3x10 -265

Lifting_Dad

Lifting_Dad

Awards
Here is the last week of my program as I left it, I'm now into my first week of cube. I used the layout for cube from black iron beast. I already feel like Im losing strength from lack of heavy volume. My goals were to hit that 500 pr, which I hit. Now problem now I want to loose body fat (5'11" and 268#) and I know I need to get serious with my diet, but I have been blowing it off. I also do not really want to loose my strength gains either as I will be 44 soon and I'm not how long I will keep gaining strength at my age. I will also need a new power rack soon with a higher weight limit.

I alternated weeks from press focus or bench focus.

Bench 5x5- 265
Press 3x8- 170
LTE 3x10 - 80,

Squat 5x5 – 415
Power clean 5x3 -160
GHR 3x10
Chins 3x10

Bench 5x1 315
Press 1x3 215
Dips 3x15

Squat 5RM/5x1- 500
DL 5RM/1x2- 500
BBROW 3x10 -265
Are you competing in meets? Or is this just to get stronger?

There are many different methods to get from A to B in powerlifting. Geared lifters tend to do better with adding in things like bands and chains to assist in developing power for a lift.

Raw lifters tend to stick to the basics without any aids as it's pure raw power (not discounting any geared lifter).

Losing fat will cause a loss in strength if it's done too quickly. I prefer a flexible diet but everyone is different. I do have issues with flexible dieting because it's kind of like offering an alcoholic a few sips each week as long as it's controlled. I tend to oversnack and undereat (if that makes sense). However, the flip side is eating "clean" then binging when I've reached a goal. Both have pro's and con's.

Also, power cleans have very little carryover to adding your bench, OHP, or most lifts.

I would increase the intensity for your accessory lifts during your dieting period. I would also add in some plyometrics to aid in additional caloric burn as well as aiding in increased power output.

bigead

bigead

Awards
Its just to get stronger, be in shape. I started about four years ago.

I like your alcoholic analogy that's exactly what its like, but I cant help to eat when Im lifting heavy. I agree that I will have to go slowly to lose body fat, because when I try to cut I get weak quick. I have thought of switching to bodybuilding/hypertrophy, but I cant get over losing strength so I will stick with this power lifting a bit longer. I also agree about the cleans. I will be finishing up my first week of the cube workout and then switch back to the TX method with your added suggestions and try that. The TX method seems to keep me gaining.

Thanks

Lifting_Dad

Lifting_Dad

Awards
Its just to get stronger, be in shape. I started about four years ago.

I like your alcoholic analogy that's exactly what its like, but I cant help to eat when Im lifting heavy. I agree that I will have to go slowly to lose body fat, because when I try to cut I get weak quick. I have thought of switching to bodybuilding/hypertrophy, but I cant get over losing strength so I will stick with this power lifting a bit longer. I also agree about the cleans. I will be finishing up my first week of the cube workout and then switch back to the TX method with your added suggestions and try that. The TX method seems to keep me gaining.

Thanks
Heavy weight burns more calories, so switching up to a lighter protocol wouldn't necessarily help your cause (unless you increased the overall volume during that shift).

The cube method does work, however the %-age's seem to focus mostly on force/power production. Force and power have obvious merit in terms of training, however they are a component of training and seem to be the core focus in the cube method. The program could use a tweak by allowing the lifter to hit the 3 main lifts or a variation of the 3 main lifts 3 times per week. Then, altering their focus on each day.

i.e.
Squat - Heavy, Bench - Heavy, DL - Light
Pause Squat - Moderate, Pause Bench - Moderate, SLDL - Moderate
Squat - Moderate, Incline DB or BB - Moderate, Deadlift - Heavy

bigead

bigead

Awards
Thank you for the feedback. I think I will move back to the Texas method, keep it as heavy as I can well switching up accessories and focus on diet. I also have a copy of practical programming to fall back on for reference.