Thoughts on Texas Method

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I’m currently a month into the Texas Method after pulling a muscle in my chest while running 5/3/1. I’m fully healed and loving the Texas Method, though I tweak it a little on recovery day. Just wondering what everyone thoughts are on this program versus others. My main goal is to add strength on compound lifts while hopefully gaining size. Been lifting on and off for about 15 years.
1RM
Squat 345
Deadlift 365
Bench 275
OHP 175

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Are you using a three day or four day template?

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
3 day is best for my schedule
I started TM with a three day and added a fourth. I’ve bastardized my template however.

It’s a good beginning/intermediate template. Like most, you can only linear progress for so long...

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Is it ok to add say incline bench with chains and rack pulls on recovery day?

BarryScott

BarryScott

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Standard template is good late novice/early intermediate program, or for after a layoff (or when starting a gear cycle I'd imagine). It does get very hard after a while but you can keep using it for a long time if you learn how to adjust it, and you'll learn more about strength programming in the process than you'd learn anywhere else.

An HLM template is more sustainable in the long term without having to do too much tinkering, and more suitable for people with less ability to recover from TM (natty, women, over 30, etc.).

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Is it ok to add say incline bench with chains and rack pulls on recovery day?
As long as it doesn’t effect your intensity day you could add it in.

My recovery day is a percentage of my volume day (which my volume day is RPE based, so it varies).

BarryScott

BarryScott

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I like the idea of RPE volume day. Volume day was always the most horrible part of TM for me. The same weight could feel a breeze one week and then a nightmare another depending on how well rested I was, residual fatigue from intensity day, etc.

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
How do you guys run your programs? I’m new to strength training and like some ideas of what your splits look like

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How do you guys run your programs? I’m new to strength training and like some ideas of what your splits look like
M- volume pyramid x5
Squat- 230,240,250,240,240 all 5s w/top set @9
Bench- same pyramid x5 top set @9
Block pull- single set of 3 @8-9

W - Active recovery
Belt less, sleeve less squat 60%ish percent of my top set from Monday for two sets

Low Db incline top set of 5@9 (sometimes two sets, if my fatigue isn’t trashed from Monday- also, if I don’t keep my intensity/frequency high for chest, my bench will decondition.. quickly)

Back movement for 3-4sets of amraps

Anti rotational/extension ab movements - amraps

Friday - intensity
Squat x3 @9 + 1x1@9
Bench x3 @9 + 1x1 @9
SLDL x5 for 2-3 sets

This will mimick my peak for my comp with the exception of lowering my volume as I get closer to a meet (hopefully I’ll pick on soon - I keep procrastinating because my DL isn’t where it use to be)

Saturday’s is a fourth day of low intensity moderate volume full body day.

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
M- volume pyramid x5
Squat- 230,240,250,240,240 all 5s w/top set @9
Bench- same pyramid x5 top set @9
Block pull- single set of 3 @8-9

W - Active recovery
Belt less, sleeve less squat 60%ish percent of my top set from Monday for two sets

Low Db incline top set of 5@9 (sometimes two sets, if my fatigue isn’t trashed from Monday- also, if I don’t keep my intensity/frequency high for chest, my bench will decondition.. quickly)

Back movement for 3-4sets of amraps

Anti rotational/extension ab movements - amraps

Friday - intensity
Squat x3 @9 + 1x1@9
Bench x3 @9 + 1x1 @9
SLDL x5 for 2-3 sets

This will mimick my peak for my comp with the exception of lowering my volume as I get closer to a meet (hopefully I’ll pick on soon - I keep procrastinating because my DL isn’t where it use to be)

Saturday’s is a fourth day of low intensity moderate volume full body day.
Thanks for laying this out I really wanna develop my own routine. I however train at home and don’t know anyone who trains this way. I have everything I need though so that’s not a problem. I’m 35 so I doubt I’ll get into competing but I just get bored with the normal bodybuilding type workouts.

BarryScott

BarryScott

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I ran a basically textbook TM for a while but would autoregulate rather than follow spreadsheet numbers like some people do.

Sunday - Squats and bench 5x5 at around 85% of previous Thursday's number. In reality I would keep the squat weight as low as possible and be more ambitious with the bench press, or I'd pause bench if it was easy. Then I'd do 3 sets of 8 of rows.

Tuesday - Squat like 75% of Sunday's weight, or hack squat or something depending on how my lower back felt. 3 sets of 5. Same with bench or I'd overhead press or incline bench or something.

Thursday - work up to 1 set of 5 of squats, bench and deadlift 2.5kg heavier than previous week.

On top of that I'd throw in dips and pull-ups if i felt like it, weighted usually unless it was tuesday and/or isolation work for 30 minutes.