eating for powerlifting

hamr9

Awards
I hope this isnt a dumb question...

When eating for powerlifting training do you want to eat for what you are going to be doing? (like eating meals in preperation for heavy workouts)
Or
Eat for what you just did during your workouts?

or both?

or am i just making this complicated and the rule should be just EAT!

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
just eat, i always load up on carbs protien some fats etc.. b4 lifting like 2 hours b4 then take a preworkout then lift. then eat big again then the rest of the day make sure i get like 500cals and 30-40g protien

JeffD

JeffD

Awards
In my opinion, people spend WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much time and money on pre and post workout nutrition. Some people respond well to some complex carbs pre workout. Others just do a protein/fat meal because carbs make them feel sluggish. You need to know how you react to different foods as far as energy goes.

I train in the am, so for me it's all about how my diet was the day before. If I didn't eat enough, it won't matter what I have in the morning before the gym because I'm going to feel like crap anyway so I just need to focus and get through it. When I train first thing in the am, I just do a shake with 50g whey, 1 cup oats and 1-2 tbsp natty pb about 1-1.5 hours pre workout. Sometimes I'll down 2 egg mcmuffins an hour or so before training, just depends on how I'm feeling. That would make some people puke during their workouts. Immediately afterwards I down some chocolate milk and 2 pop tarts. An hour after that a good solid protein/complex carb meal, then back to regular diet. If it's a particularly gruelling session, or if I'm behind in calories that day or from the day before I'll do a cheat meal for my PPWO nutrition.

Just eat. If your recovery is not what you want it to be, eat more and sleep more. If you feel like crap during a training session, log what you ate pre-wo and don't eat it again. It's alot of trial and error and figuring out how you respond to different foods IMO.

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
in my case like to day im going to pull 470 3x i will eat alot of raw eggs and some toast
eating eggs befor i lift heavy always gives more power, its the cholesterol

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
in my case like to day im going to pull 470 3x i will eat alot of raw eggs and some toast
eating eggs befor i lift heavy always gives more power, its the cholesterol
damn no way? is that really true? or do u just feel that way? I eat scrambled eggs at night just because they got no carbs and good protien. i might have to try to eat them b4 workout

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
I hope this isnt a dumb question...

When eating for powerlifting training do you want to eat for what you are going to be doing? (like eating meals in preperation for heavy workouts)
Or
Eat for what you just did during your workouts?

or both?

or am i just making this complicated and the rule should be just EAT!
I try and get around 80-100 grams of carbs a couple hours before i train. Other than that i don't get too concerned about my diet. i eat less when i need to lose weight, and eat more when i want to gain weight. I stopped haveing a pwo shake, instead i drink gatorade with some BCAA's during my workout and eat when i get home.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
In my opinion, people spend WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much time and money on pre and post workout nutrition. Some people respond well to some complex carbs pre workout. Others just do a protein/fat meal because carbs make them feel sluggish. You need to know how you react to different foods as far as energy goes.

I train in the am, so for me it's all about how my diet was the day before. If I didn't eat enough, it won't matter what I have in the morning before the gym because I'm going to feel like crap anyway so I just need to focus and get through it. When I train first thing in the am, I just do a shake with 50g whey, 1 cup oats and 1-2 tbsp natty pb about 1-1.5 hours pre workout. Sometimes I'll down 2 egg mcmuffins an hour or so before training, just depends on how I'm feeling. That would make some people puke during their workouts. Immediately afterwards I down some chocolate milk and 2 pop tarts. An hour after that a good solid protein/complex carb meal, then back to regular diet. If it's a particularly gruelling session, or if I'm behind in calories that day or from the day before I'll do a cheat meal for my PPWO nutrition.

Just eat. If your recovery is not what you want it to be, eat more and sleep more. If you feel like crap during a training session, log what you ate pre-wo and don't eat it again. It's alot of trial and error and figuring out how you respond to different foods IMO.
agreed! alot of things matter sometimes going to the gym around 9-10 ish in the morning helps not alot of ppl the morning crowds gone. I eat a protien bar those supreme protien ones? and take 3 scoops of jacked and im an animal.. Sometimes i think fast food is great b4 a powerlifting workout. I had a small ice cream sunday, 2 chicken sandwiches today and a great workout. Id wager that a PL workout burnts tons of calories jsut because of the amount of weight ur constantly working with

stullsy

Awards
  • Established
agreed! alot of things matter sometimes going to the gym around 9-10 ish in the morning helps not alot of ppl the morning crowds gone. I eat a protien bar those supreme protien ones? and take 3 scoops of jacked and im an animal.. Sometimes i think fast food is great b4 a powerlifting workout. I had a small ice cream sunday, 2 chicken sandwiches today and a great workout. Id wager that a PL workout burnts tons of calories jsut because of the amount of weight ur constantly working with
You burn more calories due on the intensity of your workout so yes a high intense PL workout does burn lots of calories and will build a great deal of muscle...... I usually eat some complex carbs/w 20-30gs of protein about an hour before i workout then then i drink some powerade or gatorade thats diluted with water throughout my workout.

hamr9

Awards
it seems like the general opinion is for PLing you need to eat a bit of a good complex meal before you train and obviously follow it up with something as well, but it seems being prepared in your stomach is the way to go. thanks

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
yea id say if u wanna stay lean. make u work on flexabilty stetching etc.. and also ive seen dave tates workouts he has a 20 min free time hytrophy work type of thing on DE days do that and also i try to huge huge protien carbs and mod fat meals b4 and after workout rest of the day keep carbs low protien high. for example taquitos grilled at taco bell have 36 grams protien 70 grams carbs and 20 grams fat i eat that b4 lifting today did goood