Form check squat (video)

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Form check squat (video)

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

For 1st video: Checking Squat form. One note about video its 225 lbs but was doing it x20 sets of 3. This video I was on my 15th of the second set so form may be a little off because of fatigue. I was hella tired...

For 2nd video: 3rd set of 225 x 20 I think this was at my 10th or so rep on my 3rd set. Form went out the window lol.

Got idea from other thread.

Gym was kinda packed so couldnt get a good angle. Oh and funny little anecdote, my wife knows that girl in the pink, she wears her workout clothes to her college classes and looks fairly ridiculous.

EDIT: girl is wearing red, but it was really pink color went off.

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

IMO- drop weight and go deeper

form looks acceptable though........

if those arent flat shoes, get some. converse
  3. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristofer68SS View Post
    IMO- drop weight and go deeper

form looks acceptable though........

if those arent flat shoes, get some. converse

what is significance of flat shoes?

thx!
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.

I go lower and dont go too heavy to start until you get comfortable going lower. I would hit paralell unless it hurts.
    I would lower slowly and then if you want the speed use it to lift.
    I have small legs so, lol.
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by p00ndawg View Post
    what is significance of flat shoes?

thx!
    to help proper form.... i use converse or socks

Squatting/Dead lift/ Weight lifting shoes
  6. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by somewhatgifted View Post
    I go lower and dont go too heavy. I would hit paralell unless it hurts.
    I would lower slowly and then if you want the speed use it to lift.
    I have small legs so, lol.
    This was for my depletion i should add so I was trying to get em done quickly cuz i was circuit training it.

Seems like I need to go lower. I think I can go lower, ill be doing squats on monday or sunday and ill repost new vids with me going lower.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.

This was for my depletion i should add so I was trying to get em done quickly cuz i was circuit training it.

Seems like I need to go lower. I think I can go lower, ill be doing squats on monday or sunday and ill repost new vids with me going lower.
    Just be carefull you dont fall forward when you get down low, lots of guys load up a weight they are used to handling and find its a different lift in the bottom 3-4 inches and you may feel yourself coming forward. I use a toes out wider stance so i can use my glutes and legs more to prevent my back from wanting to go forward.
  8. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by somewhatgifted View Post
    Just be carefull you dont fall forward when you get down low, lots of guys load up a weight they are used to handling and find its a different lift in the bottom 3-4 inches and you may feel yourself coming forward. I use a toes out wider stance so i can use my glutes and legs more to prevent my back from wanting to go forward.
    noted.
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.

There are a few things here:
    1) Knees are travelling too far forward. Some small amount of forward travel is OK, but your's are going forward too much in my opinion.
    2) You don't sit back at all. This is related to #1 as your hips basically travel straight up and down while your knees go forward more the farther you go down.
    3) You need to arch harder with your back. It's not rounding alot, but your lower back just looks a little "soft".
    4) Depth looks a little high. Get down to just breaking parallel at a minimum. Your forward knee travel is also making depth more difficult. As your hips are going down, your knees are going forward and lowering the position of the knee joint. If your shins stay relatively vertical, you don't have to drop your hips as far to break parallel.

Your basic cues should be to arch hard, sit back, and push your knees out to the sides. This will keep the back in good position and prevent excessive forward knee travel. I would also advise against 20 rep squats while trying to get your form dialed in. Fatigue will cause breakdown in form even in those with good technique. Also get some flat soled shoes that are not regular athletic shoes. Chuck taylor's usually work very well and they provide a stable base for you to push off of.
  10. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    1) Knees are travelling too far forward. Some small amount of forward travel is OK, but your's are going forward too much in my opinion.
    2) You don't sit back at all. This is related to #1 as your hips basically travel straight up and down while your knees go forward more the farther you go down.
    3) You need to arch harder with your back. It's not rounding alot, but your lower back just looks a little "soft".
    4) Depth looks a little high. Get down to just breaking parallel at a minimum. Your forward knee travel is also making depth more difficult. As your hips are going down, your knees are going forward and lowering the position of the knee joint. If your shins stay relatively vertical, you don't have to drop your hips as far to break parallel.

Your basic cues should be to arch hard, sit back, and push your knees out to the sides. This will keep the back in good position and prevent excessive forward knee travel. I would also advise against 20 rep squats while trying to get your form dialed in. Fatigue will cause breakdown in form even in those with good technique. Also get some flat soled shoes that are not regular athletic shoes. Chuck taylor's usually work very well and they provide a stable base for you to push off of.

Thank you.
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.

Working on you're ankle flexibility will help with these.
  12. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.

when u squat do u feel the stress in ur quads or hamstrings?

when i used to squat i squatted with my quads and most ppl i watch at the gym do their squat the same. what helped me get full depth was to imagine im sitting down on the toilet, and not about to come up. do some low box squats with just the bar(make sure its at least parallel). for some reason it changes how you squat just having the box there. you will notice ur knees dont go forwards at all and u will use your hamstrings more instead of relying so much on your quads.

edit: also using a wide stance helps to go deep and keep stable. and for the converse... they help me a TON on deadlifts and squats. really for any lower body excercise.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.

If im being honest, not nearly deep enough, and you need to pause in the hole a bit, just a bit, but overall form looks ok, no danger of injury anyway. Try stretching well before you squat, loosen up your hams. The converse sneakers are the best, next to barefoot.
  14. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by tnubs View Post
    when u squat do u feel the stress in ur quads or hamstrings?

when i used to squat i squatted with my quads and most ppl i watch at the gym do their squat the same. what helped me get full depth was to imagine im sitting down on the toilet, and not about to come up. do some low box squats with just the bar(make sure its at least parallel). for some reason it changes how you squat just having the box there. you will notice ur knees dont go forwards at all and u will use your hamstrings more instead of relying so much on your quads.

edit: also using a wide stance helps to go deep and keep stable. and for the converse... they help me a TON on deadlifts and squats. really for any lower body excercise.
    yea I do, I actually had not done squats in years up until about february.
    Ive been working on going deeper tho. I was probably worse 2 months ago.

ill be picking up some chucks today if I can find them. They have boxes I can use and stuff so ill definitely try putting some behind me.

Thanks for the tips.
  15. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.

When you actually start to the squat you are breaking with your knees first, try breaking at the hips instead. Here is a great article on how to squat properly:
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...om_head_to_toe
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Most of them stances are wide as hell.....

Poon your form is pretty darn good for the most part, like most have been stating. Better than 90% of the cats at my gym. Try to keep the shins vertical and go lower. Get rid of them damn running shoes. lol

I vary all my squat techniques and tempo during my session, but I cant recall every going that wide.(some of those pics pmiller linked to)

I notice i can do more(which isnt much) when i go wider.
  17. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    When you actually start to the squat you are breaking with your knees first, try breaking at the hips instead. Here is a great article on how to squat properly:
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...om_head_to_toe
    Holy hell, that last pic is ridonkulous.

Most of them stances are wide as hell.....

Poon your form is pretty darn good for the most part, like most have been stating. Better than 90% of the cats at my gym. Try to keep the shins vertical and go lower. Get rid of them damn running shoes. lol

I vary all my squat techniques and tempo during my session, but I cant recall every going that wide.(some of those pics pmiller linked to)

I notice i can do more(which isnt much) when i go wider.
    They are basketball shoes!
  18. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

I would say in that power rack instead of backing on to that mat. If the mat is really squishy. definately get the f*ck off it. With those arms on the rack, if you go down to parallel and it's too heavy just go another 1-2 more inches down and the bar is resting on those arms. Much safer especially if you're working on going deeper than you have before.

Seems like everything else has been touched upon already.

I usually do 5-10 minutes of cardio (4-8mph) followed by a few minutes of stretching before I jump in the squat rack. And once I'm there I'll do between 2 and 3 warmup sets before actually getting to work.

You're married? You look 12 in your avi.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  19. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob187 View Post
    I would say in that power rack instead of backing on to that mat. If the mat is really squishy. definately get the f*ck off it. With those arms on the rack, if you go down to parallel and it's too heavy just go another 1-2 more inches down and the bar is resting on those arms. Much safer especially if you're working on going deeper than you have before.

Seems like everything else has been touched upon already.

I usually do 5-10 minutes of cardio (4-8mph) followed by a few minutes of stretching before I jump in the squat rack. And once I'm there I'll do between 2 and 3 warmup sets before actually getting to work.

You're married? You look 12 in your avi.
    Yea im usually in the rack just baked out to try to get better angle. Ive never actually squatted outside a rack and now that I think about it, it was kinda weird.

Im 21, gonna be 22 in exactly 1 week, but yea im married. I also have a baby face, completely acne free. Good genes man.
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

i use to never work legs ass i always had a good deadlift and using rep testing in football id always equal a 480 ish dl (in reality it was like 300 something since we used trap bar rep test for football ) 250 bench and 225 power clean. and had to squat like 225 a couple times so i had no motivation to work legs.. but thats as far down as i go for squats... how in the world can i get lower without killing my back
  21. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    i use to never work legs ass i always had a good deadlift and using rep testing in football id always equal a 480 ish dl (in reality it was like 300 something since we used trap bar rep test for football ) 250 bench and 225 power clean. and had to squat like 225 a couple times so i had no motivation to work legs.. but thats as far down as i go for squats... how in the world can i get lower without killing my back
    box squats. just try them, they will work.
  22. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.

The link to the Dave Tate article is very good. If you don't use powerlifting gear, simply don't go quite as wide as is mentioned/shown in the article. You can also decide whether or not to use a box. Otherwise all the parts about set-up and cues are very good.
  23. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.

My gues would be that technique is the biggest part of the problem. Without good technique it can be tough to get good depth. Using a box set to proper depth is also a great teaching tool. Also if your hamstrings are very tight, you may have some trouble getting depth without your low back rounding under.
    Again, look at the link to the Dave Tate article. Again, everything applies, simply use a medium to wide stance instead of a super wide stance. Start at just outside shoulder width and work out slowly from there over a period of weeks or months is you want to go wider.
  24. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

ok I got my chucks, ill be doing squats and deads tomorrow. Ill post up vids of both for critique on my dead form and see if doing the squats with box fix my problem of depth.
  25. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

My gues would be that technique is the biggest part of the problem. Without good technique it can be tough to get good depth. Using a box set to proper depth is also a great teaching tool. Also if your hamstrings are very tight, you may have some trouble getting depth without your low back rounding under.
    Again, look at the link to the Dave Tate article. Again, everything applies, simply use a medium to wide stance instead of a super wide stance. Start at just outside shoulder width and work out slowly from there over a period of weeks or months is you want to go wider.
    my hamstrings are really tight... and i havent worked them alot idk maybe from tons of deads?
  26. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.

my hamstrings are really tight... and i havent worked them alot idk maybe from tons of deads?
    Work on both your hamstring strength and flexibility. There are a million ways to strengthen the hamstrings, RDL's, DL's, GHR's, back raises, leg curls, etc... Also stretch them daily or almost daily. I have to stretch basically everyday or my hips and back start acting up. If I stretch regularly, I'm fine. It will also be tougher to sit back in the SQ if your hamstrings are weak. The good news is that box squats with a wider stance will help bring up the hamstrings as well. Good luck.
  27. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  250 lbs.

Not even close to hitting depth.
  28. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

ok I got my chucks, ill be doing squats and deads tomorrow. Ill post up vids of both for critique on my dead form and see if doing the squats with box fix my problem of depth.
    there you go.
  29. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

They are basketball shoes!

forgive my ignorance, but how again are they different then running shoes?
  30. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

forgive my ignorance, but how again are they different then running shoes?
    you cant be ballin in the gym with running shoes. Basketball shoes are gangsta and give you the swagga, honey's be all ova my swagga.
  31. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

you cant be ballin in the gym with running shoes. Basketball shoes are gangsta and give you the swagga, honey's be all ova my swagga.
    ahhh, ok......my bad........

lol
  32. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Well in an effort to present the most swagga with my new chucks I forgot my damn camera. LOL

I did box squats tho and boy did that make a difference. Im 100% positive im reaching correct depth and I had to get my legs REALLLLLLLY WIDE to get it right. I actually think I should have been just a bit wider but the power rack had me a bit limited.

Also I didnt even have to drop weight or anything which was surprising, after the first few test sets I just started packing on the weight and got 365 x2 at the end. Which was pretty much What I couldnt do with my original form 1 week ago.

I finished off with about 3 sets of 8 with 225 to just practice form.

This friday I WILL not forget the camera for better critique.

I think tho every once in awhile the box was giving me a little "push" when I would hit. I would try to kinda barely tap it but every once in awhile I would like just fall on it.

Also the chucks were great for squats but I didnt like the feeling they gave me in Deadlift, they definitely threw off my form a bit there.

How do you guys tie your chucks? They look damn wierd tied up all the way to the top. I left them loose at the top but im not sure if that hurts my stability.
  33. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

forget the vids.

I want to see a pic of the legs that are doing 365 at the end of a session.
  34. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

forget the vids.

I want to see a pic of the legs that are doing 365 at the end of a session.
    This I just took.

3 months ago.
  35. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.

lol hamstring shot?
  36. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by tnubs View Post
    lol hamstring shot?
    how do I take a picture of that? from the side squatting or something?
  37. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

pretty darn good...keep at it, doing a good job thus far.

hams are gonna be hard to shoot....... timed camera shot maybe.

im an older dude on a cut right now, when i carry even more fat, my legs get nice and full. damn, i wish i was in my 20's again.

lucky!

Kristofer's Fat-azz Recomp with GLYCOBOL
  38. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.

Well in an effort to present the most swagga with my new chucks I forgot my damn camera. LOL

I did box squats tho and boy did that make a difference. Im 100% positive im reaching correct depth and I had to get my legs REALLLLLLLY WIDE to get it right. I actually think I should have been just a bit wider but the power rack had me a bit limited.

Also I didnt even have to drop weight or anything which was surprising, after the first few test sets I just started packing on the weight and got 365 x2 at the end. Which was pretty much What I couldnt do with my original form 1 week ago.

I finished off with about 3 sets of 8 with 225 to just practice form.

This friday I WILL not forget the camera for better critique.

I think tho every once in awhile the box was giving me a little "push" when I would hit. I would try to kinda barely tap it but every once in awhile I would like just fall on it.

Also the chucks were great for squats but I didnt like the feeling they gave me in Deadlift, they definitely threw off my form a bit there.

How do you guys tie your chucks? They look damn wierd tied up all the way to the top. I left them loose at the top but im not sure if that hurts my stability.

To get the benefit from box squats you should sit on the box and pause for a second or two for every rep. Keep everything very tight, but pause. This will keep you from cheating and trying to bounce off the box. Also, make sure to control yourself all the way down to the box. Plopping on the box could lead to injury and it won't translate to your free squat. Keep in mind you want your box SQ to look like a free SQ and you shouldn't free fall into the bottom of a free SQ.
  39. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

To get the benefit from box squats you should sit on the box and pause for a second or two for every rep. Keep everything very tight, but pause. This will keep you from cheating and trying to bounce off the box. Also, make sure to control yourself all the way down to the box. Plopping on the box could lead to injury and it won't translate to your free squat. Keep in mind you want your box SQ to look like a free SQ and you shouldn't free fall into the bottom of a free SQ.
    k noted.

Sometimes I was getting it, and sometimes I was getting the bounce. I could definitely feel the difference tho. Ill be doing box squats for awhile now.
  40. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.

k noted.

Sometimes I was getting it, and sometimes I was getting the bounce. I could definitely feel the difference tho. Ill be doing box squats for awhile now.
    pausing on the box is the correct way, however, I would wait until you are spot on with your form before you attempt that, its really dangerous if your off. When you pause on the box, your body is going to want to "loosen" up, and you do NOT want that to happen. Make sure you keep your whole body really tight when you sit and pause, it takes a tremendous amount of force to complete the rep after sitting. Touch and go is just fine until you got it down pat. From what i remember, Dave Tate also says its important to "push" your stomach out, as opposed to sucking it in or just squeezing your abs.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. squat form critique (videos)
    By rolandajoint in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-04-2009, 08:31 AM
  2. Tips for my overhead squat form?
    By Jmaths in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-15-2009, 12:39 AM
  3. Still can't get the right form for the FRONT squat
    By The Anarchist in forum Training Forum