View Poll Results: 4 more years for Bush? if he could.

Voters
267. This poll is closed
  • yes

    91 34.08%
  • no

    176 65.92%

Dumb Question- If Bush Could Run Again, Would You Vote For Him?

Page 6 of 8 First ... 45678 Last
  1. Banned
    Nullifidian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,741
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    14.57%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by smc252 View Post
    The terrorist fruit-cakes, and the *******s that distill such hatred and fear in them, of course. Who else would I have been talking about?
    Yes, but my point is, how do you know one when you see one unless they are in the middle of a terrorist act? That's kind of important.

    Saying "the terrorists" might as well be like saying "the murderers" or "the rapists." They don't identify a group of people by anything other than what crime they have committed. That's not a coherent group.

  2. New Member
    Rufio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    158
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    6.68%

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. John View Post
    Who does the rest of the world rely upon to bail them out when things go to crap? WW!? WWII? Who was left to try to clean up France's mess in Indochina? And who protects the oil supply arounf the world today? Ya, we're REAL bad people.


    Yeah, the US really "bailed out" Iran by assassinating Mossadeq and paving the way for the Shah to take away civil rights.


    They "bailed out" Iraq with the assassination attempts against Qassim and arming Saddam with the military means to kill thousands of people. Or by embargoing them so that over a million people starved to death.


    They really "protected" the oil supply by nullifying the previous Iraqi oil deals with Europe and trying to put sole control of the oil in the new puppet government, thus the US.


    They bailed out the Palestinians by backing the coup that formed Israel and drove over 80% of the Palestinian civilians out of their homes, then using international pressure to get the UN to overlook this violation of international law. Subsequently they bailed out the Palestinians by veoting numerous ceasefire resolutions that could've saved thousands of Palestinians civilians from being slaughtered.


    They bailed out Chili by installing Augusto Pinochet, a ruthless murdering dictator over their elected government.



    Come on, man. The way you brag about the US makes it sound like a football game where you're rooting for the home team. Almost every country in power has done some good and done some bad. The US is no different. It's VERY dangerous to have a black-and-white view of the world, because you can make a case that any country is a "good guy" or a "bad guy."


    I don't think you even realize that Al Qaeda manages to gain membership by getting people to think the way you do. When the US bombed the Al-Shifa pharmaceutical company in Sudan, their membership skyrocketted. A lot of the "terrorists" are people who perceive the US much the same way as you see them. When powerful countries kill massive numbers of civilians to put the most minor dent in their "enemies," it's called "collateral damage." It's the same thing as 9/11. You need to look at this from the perspective of a Middle Eastern civilian as well.


    The world is shades of grey, and you really need to research the atrocities of EVERY country including your own to get the full picture. Yelling "we're the best! Screw anyone who's ungrateful for what we do!" is the kind of attitude that can destroy the world. In fact you can find a nice parrallel with the American Revolution and Britain's attitude at the time.
  3. New Member
    bshow18's Avatar
    Stats
    5'2"  124 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    101
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    75.17%

    if bush could run again as much as id hate to say it, i would vote for him again because he has to finish what he started in the first place. I mean he seems to think that he has everything under control. but throwing another president out without any experience would basically be like committing suicide.
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    Rufio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    158
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    6.68%

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. John View Post
    You have a strange view of reality. Are you a member of MoveOn.org?


    Attack on character fallacy. Please review international law and the requirements for an actual preemptive war. The invasion of Iraq was blatantly not a preemptive war, but a preventative war, which falls under wars of aggression.

    In fact, there's a nice parallel here to Hitler's invasions which birthed the very definition of "wars of aggression." Like the Reichstagg fire, it was claimed that Iraq was involved in 9/11, so there was an invasion. In both cases no actual evidence was presented.
  5. New Member
    Rufio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    158
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    6.68%

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. John View Post
    You like videos so, but still haven't seen a beheading vid, eh?


    I don't care to watch that crap. Have you seen the videos of US soldiers killing and raping Iraqis? They exist as well, and are often shown on the same tapes as the beheadings as propaganda. Or what about US-backed Israelis hunting down Palestinian children as a game? I've read all about the brutality of people from every country, but I don't care to watch vidoes of it.


    But this is a red herring.
  6. New Member
    Rufio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    158
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    6.68%

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. John View Post
    Heard of terrorist training camps? How about knocking the crap out of a bunch of cowards hiding in someone's basement?

    But to be sure, their cowardly ways, the REAL violation of the codes of war, make them hard to find and stop (before they blow up another dozens of innocents--STILL waiting for a few of you to have anything to say about that. Or a beheading vid).



    How cowardly do you consider it to bomb civilian buildings from thousands of miles up, encountering little to no personal danger? Just wondering.


    But what does Iraq have to do with these "terrorist training camps" anyway? I've seen more proven cases of the US involved with terrorists, including Osama Bin Laden during the Cold War, than I've seen from Iraq.



    You're using a lot of red herrings.
  7. New Member
    Rufio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    158
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    6.68%

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. John View Post
    You guys call everything a "fallacy" but your own thinking. Calling something a fallacy doesn;t make it so. Umm.. isn't that some kind of "falacy"?

    Study Hussein. I have. The Hitler issue then will be crystal clear to you, and your naivete' will no longer allow you to call it a "fallacy".

    I've studied Hussein as well, including the fact that even its enemies like Israel didn't consider Iraq a threat due to the extremely poor economy.


    It's obvious that you haven't studied the US' own actions in the Middle East and even more obvious that you could care less about the innocent civilians who've died as a result.


    And it's an actual logical fallacy. Google "attack on character fallacy."
  8. Banned
    Nullifidian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,741
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    14.57%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. John View Post
    Heard of terrorist training camps? How about knocking the crap out of a bunch of cowards hiding in someone's basement?

    But to be sure, their cowardly ways, the REAL violation of the codes of war, make them hard to find and stop (before they blow up another dozens of innocents--STILL waiting for a few of you to have anything to say about that. Or a beheading vid).

    Yes! Precisely! Hit the training camps! Find a camp, wipe it out, leave. Find them hiding out in a basement, go in, wipe them out, leave.

    YOU DON'T NEED TO INVADE A COUNTRY TO DO THAT


    That's like if there's a group of guys who robbed a bank and killed 30 hostages, and they flee. Then they are holed up somewhere and you get reports they are in some guy's house in Alabama. How do you solve it? You send in a SWAT Team to take them down. You DO NOT mobilize the entire US Army and occupy the entire state of Alabama, putting everyone under martial law.
  9. New Member
    Rufio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    158
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    6.68%

    Well said, but I think Dr. John was implying that Iraq was some kind of haven for terrorist training camps, overflowing with them to the point where they had to be invaded. I haven't seen any evidence of this.
  10. Registered User
    D_town's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    558
    Rep Power
    410
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    23.03%

    It's one thing to be a liberal. That's fine.


    Rufio, you are so far left I just laugh. Your perception of America is UnAmerican. You can leave if you hate it so much...Moveon.WTFE. But, wait I forgot, there is nowhere better to live on this planet because of who we are and what we do. Keep up your anti-american rants, it doesn't bother me, just makes you look like a U.S. hater.

    I also think your were sweet to put a response in your thread of a quote that I never stated.

    Originally Posted by D_town
    Do you think terrorist nations should have seats on the Human Rights Commission?
    High on morals and ethics I guess.
  11. Banned
    Nullifidian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,741
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    14.57%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    He doesn't hate America. He hates the Administrations that have been imperialistic. America is NOT its government. America is the Constitution and what it represents. Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, George Washington, and most of the other founding fathers all said that in order for the USA to be a successful democracy the people MUST question their government CONSTANTLY.

    They all believed that the true American Patriot is one who ridicules his government for every action it does.

    The American spirit is power to the people, not follow the government like a bunch of sheep.


    Quote Originally Posted by D_town View Post
    It's one thing to be a liberal. That's fine.


    Rufio, you are so far left I just laugh. Your perception of America is UnAmerican. You can leave if you hate it so much...Moveon.WTFE. But, wait I forgot, there is nowhere better to live on this planet because of who we are and what we do. Keep up your anti-american rants, it doesn't bother me, just makes you look like a U.S. hater.

    I also think your were sweet to put a response in your thread of a quote that I never stated.



    High on morals and ethics I guess.


    Well said, but I think Dr. John was implying that Iraq was some kind of haven for terrorist training camps, overflowing with them to the point where they had to be invaded. I haven't seen any evidence of this.
    In fact Iraq was just the opposite. Any terrorist camps in Iraq were run by people trying to overthrow Hussein. Saddam Hussein was Osama Bin Laden's NUMBER 2 TARGET. He was the only nation in the Middle East that was secular.
  12. New Member
    smc252's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    299
    Rep Power
    241
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    45.49%

    Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian View Post
    He doesn't hate America. He hates the Administrations that have been imperialistic. America is NOT its government. America is the Constitution and what it represents. Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, George Washington, and most of the other founding fathers all said that in order for the USA to be a successful democracy the people MUST question their government CONSTANTLY.

    They all believed that the true American Patriot is one who ridicules his government for every action it does.

    The American spirit is power to the people, not follow the government like a bunch of sheep.
    This is very true. It's very important for people to remember what a true democratic republic looks like.

    Too bad nearly everyone is already a sheep, being preyed upon by the wolves.

    Got BAH?
  13. Registered User
    D_town's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    558
    Rep Power
    410
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    23.03%

    A Patriot is 'someone who ridicules the government for everything it does.'

    I don't believe I share your value or definition of the word.

    I thought it was someone who LOVES their country. I love my country and I am far from a BAH BAH sheep my friend. I criticize the things that I do not agree with and trust me, there is plenty.

    There is much more to my country than it's founding father's.

    However my overall patriotism and nationalism overpowers any other emotion.
    And when everything stated by a person is Anti-American, it becomes assumed to me that the person is the opposite patriotic.
  14. New Member
    smc252's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    299
    Rep Power
    241
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    45.49%

    Quote Originally Posted by D_town View Post
    And when everything stated by a person is Anti-American, it becomes assumed to me that the person is the opposite of patriotic.
    We certainly aren't all Native Americans here. So let's define first what it means for us to be Americans...
  15. Registered User
    D_town's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    558
    Rep Power
    410
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    23.03%

    Quote Originally Posted by smc252 View Post
    We certainly aren't all Native Americans here. So let's define first what it means for us to be Americans...
    Aren't you soooo witty.
    Should I assume that like everything else, we can argue about that too.
  16. New Member
    rightship3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    76
    Rep Power
    129
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    90.56%

    Fast and Loose with the facts


    Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian View Post
    He doesn't hate America. He hates the Administrations that have been imperialistic. America is NOT its government. America is the Constitution and what it represents. Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, George Washington, and most of the other founding fathers all said that in order for the USA to be a successful democracy the people MUST question their government CONSTANTLY.

    They all believed that the true American Patriot is one who ridicules his government for every action it does.

    The American spirit is power to the people, not follow the government like a bunch of sheep.

    In fact Iraq was just the opposite. Any terrorist camps in Iraq were run by people trying to overthrow Hussein. Saddam Hussein was Osama Bin Laden's NUMBER 2 TARGET. He was the only nation in the Middle East that was secular.
    #1 America is not a pure democracy. America is more accurately a Constitutional Republic. Democracy is nothing more than mob rule. In fact, the word 'Democracy' does not appear in the United States Constitution or the Declaration of Independence.

    #2 "Any terrorist camps in Iraq were run by people trying to overthrow Hussein." This is factually incorrect. It has been proven that Saddam's elite forces trained thousands of terrorists in camps around Iraq. Yes, this is state sponsored terrorism.

    #3 What is your source for claiming Saddam was #2 on Bin laden's list? Bin Laden's followers did not agree with a secular Iraq (it's a stretch to call it that), however they did continue to use it as a safe haven and were provided logistics support by Saddam's forces. I am not aware of any evidence that suggest's Bin Laden made any effort to put a hit on Saddam.
  17. New Member
    smc252's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    299
    Rep Power
    241
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    45.49%

    Quote Originally Posted by D_town View Post
    Aren't you soooo witty.
    Should I assume that like everything else, we can argue about that too.
    I am seriously asking for a definition.. Let's hear it...

    :bruce2:
  18. New Member
    Rufio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    158
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    6.68%

    Quote Originally Posted by D_town View Post
    It's one thing to be a liberal. That's fine.


    Rufio, you are so far left I just laugh.

    Define "left" and "liberal." Being equally critical of your own government as you are of others is far left? Does that apply to Americans only or to other countries? If someone in Iran protests what their government does, are they liberal hippie pussies?


    The real issue is that you don't want to address the fact that the world is not divided into heroes and villains. All major world leaders INCLUDING those in the US have taken part in many atrocities and killed thousands or millions of civilians.


    It's disgusting when both Democrats and Republicans do it. For the record, I'm both "liberal" and "conservative" in the traditional sense. I take a liberal stand on civil rights, while I take the traditional conservative approach to foreign policy (note that the Neocons' foreign policy is the exact OPPOSITE of true conservative policy).


    I don't support either party. In fact, Democrats have committed some of the greatest atrocities in the world this past century.





    Quote Originally Posted by D_town View Post
    Your perception of America is UnAmerican.

    That's funny, given that the actions I listed are facts that America officially recognizes that it did, but pretty much ignores. So my perception of America is the perception of many of America's own records.




    Quote Originally Posted by D_town View Post
    You can leave if you hate it so much...Moveon.WTFE. But, wait I forgot, there is nowhere better to live on this planet because of who we are and what we do. Keep up your anti-american rants, it doesn't bother me, just makes you look like a U.S. hater.


    Grow the **** up. The US is a great place to live, yes. That doesn't change the fact that the US has installed dictators, supported terrorism, and killed millions of innocent civilians in the past.


    Do you think I pulled the US embargo that killed over a million civilians out of my ass? Or the US installing Augusto Pinochet? Or helping to assassinate Mohammed Mossadeq? Or the various vetos of ceasefires?



    You sound like a German who refuses to acknowledge the Holocaust. "Our country is the greatest on Earth! It is anti-German that you would level these charges on our great country!"


    Seriously, you sound like a Party member from 1984 ...
  19. Registered User
    D_town's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    558
    Rep Power
    410
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    23.03%

    Quote Originally Posted by smc252 View Post
    I am seriously asking for a definition.. Let's hear it...

    :bruce2:

    :bruce3:
    Allright wise guy...

    An american is a citizen of America. Those I most closely relate with are the grouping of North Americans and even more closely, the legal citizens of the United States of America. Most citizens of the United States are born in the country, many of which legally have family heritage in the USA. Others acquire citizenship legally through a bureaucrtic process of paperwork and testing.
  20. New Member
    Rufio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    158
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    6.68%

    Quote Originally Posted by D_town View Post
    A Patriot is 'someone who ridicules the government for everything it does.'

    I don't believe I share your value or definition of the word.

    I thought it was someone who LOVES their country. I love my country and I am far from a BAH BAH sheep my friend. I criticize the things that I do not agree with and trust me, there is plenty.


    Let me guess:


    You can accept the criticism that some US politicians may have made mistakes with good intentions in the past, but you find it "un-American" to propose that American politicians will knowingly commit evil deeds, right?


    But at the same time, you don't have to suspend any disbelief to imagine foreign leaders being evil. In your view, being American inherently makes a leader more noble.




    Quote Originally Posted by D_town View Post
    However my overall patriotism and nationalism overpowers any other emotion.

    Including your care for innocent civilians it seems ...



    Quote Originally Posted by D_town View Post
    And when everything stated by a person is Anti-American, it becomes assumed to me that the person is the opposite patriotic.


    How is what I'm stating anti-American? That's stupid as hell. I have stated more than once in this thread that you can find similar atrocities for virtually all countries.


    The difference is that I actually research military actions of every country to come to my own conclusion, and I look at things strategically. I don't blindly buy into US leaders claiming that they're invading a nation which has no means by which to oppress us for the purpose of "freedom." I look at all countries -- including the US, but also every other nation on Earth -- with the same critical lense.


    BTW, the way you throw the word "un-American" around makes you sound like Joseph McCarthy.
  21. New Member
    Rufio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    158
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    6.68%

    Quote Originally Posted by rightship3 View Post
    =

    #2 "Any terrorist camps in Iraq were run by people trying to overthrow Hussein." This is factually incorrect. It has been proven that Saddam's elite forces trained thousands of terrorists in camps around Iraq. Yes, this is state sponsored terrorism.


    Curiously, do you have a source for this? It's not actually grounds for preemptive war considering that pretty much every country has allied with and/or trained terrorists before, but I'd like to see this regardless.


    Quote Originally Posted by rightship3 View Post

    #3 What is your source for claiming Saddam was #2 on Bin laden's list? Bin Laden's followers did not agree with a secular Iraq (it's a stretch to call it that), however they did continue to use it as a safe haven and were provided logistics support by Saddam's forces. I am not aware of any evidence that suggest's Bin Laden made any effort to put a hit on Saddam.

    I haven't seen the source for this one either, although I've heard from a few places that part of the reason Osama turned against the US is that they refused to let him wage a holy war on Saddam during the Gulf War.


    Here's the results of a search:


    http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...ss_destruction



    Here's a page on it as well, although it's from antiwar.com:

    http://www.antiwar.com/justin/j021203.html


    According to them, the NBC page was editted numerous times after the original post. Now it doesn't work at all, so I dunno.


    Here's this:

    http://www.opednews.com/articles/ope...ategy_of_p.htm

    "As Harper's magazine mentioned in 2002, a number of videotapes made by Al Qaeda were found; one contained a documentary in which bin Laden called Saddam Hussein a 'bad Muslim'.""


    Here's something else. It's from CNN which like any other new source takes comments out of context, but it's something to keep in mind:

    http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/...aq.Qaeda.link/

    The Iraqi president repeatedly has denied any connection between his government and bin Laden's terrorist network. "If we had a relationship with al Qaeda and if we believed in this relationship, we wouldn't be ashamed to admit it," Saddam said in a recent interview on British television. "The answer is no. We do not have any relationship with al Qaeda."

    Bin Laden recently declared solidarity with the Iraqi people, but he lashed out at Saddam's government. In the latest audiotaped message purported to be recorded by the al Qaeda leader, bin Laden denounced Saddam's socialist Baath party as "infidels."
  22. New Member
    Rufio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    158
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    6.68%

    Quote Originally Posted by D_town View Post
    :bruce3:
    Allright wise guy...

    An american is a citizen of America. Those I most closely relate with are the grouping of North Americans and even more closely, the legal citizens of the United States of America. Most citizens of the United States are born in the country, many of which legally have family heritage in the USA. Others acquire citizenship legally through a bureaucrtic process of paperwork and testing.


    In that case, how can it be "un-American" to recognize the atrocities of various world leaders? Do I retroactively become not born in America because I don't blindly believe in the nobility of politicians?

    I thought that caring for the lives of civilians, regardless of nationality, was a good character trait ...
  23. New Member
    rightship3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    76
    Rep Power
    129
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    90.56%

    Quote Originally Posted by Rufio View Post
    Curiously, do you have a source for this? It's not actually grounds for preemptive war considering that pretty much every country has allied with and/or trained terrorists before, but I'd like to see this regardless.





    I haven't seen the source for this one either, although I've heard from a few places that part of the reason Osama turned against the US is that they refused to let him wage a holy war on Saddam during the Gulf War.


    Here's the results of a search:


    http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...ss_destruction



    Here's a page on it as well, although it's from antiwar.com:

    http://www.antiwar.com/justin/j021203.html


    According to them, the NBC page was editted numerous times after the original post. Now it doesn't work at all, so I dunno.


    Here's this:

    http://www.opednews.com/articles/ope...ategy_of_p.htm

    "As Harper's magazine mentioned in 2002, a number of videotapes made by Al Qaeda were found; one contained a documentary in which bin Laden called Saddam Hussein a 'bad Muslim'.""


    Here's something else. It's from CNN which like any other new source takes comments out of context, but it's something to keep in mind:

    http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/...aq.Qaeda.link/

    The Iraqi president repeatedly has denied any connection between his government and bin Laden's terrorist network. "If we had a relationship with al Qaeda and if we believed in this relationship, we wouldn't be ashamed to admit it," Saddam said in a recent interview on British television. "The answer is no. We do not have any relationship with al Qaeda."

    Bin Laden recently declared solidarity with the Iraqi people, but he lashed out at Saddam's government. In the latest audiotaped message purported to be recorded by the al Qaeda leader, bin Laden denounced Saddam's socialist Baath party as "infidels."

    The following sources will show you that Saddam's Elite Forces Trained Terrorists in camps around Iraq.

    Source #1 from Wall Street Journal
    http://www.opinionjournal.com/editor...l?id=110007809

    Source #2 from WorldNetDaily
    http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=48343

    Source #3 from FreeRepublic
    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1689029/posts


    Regarding your sources that support the claim that Saddam was #2 on Bin Laden's list...nadda. There was nothing substantive or verifiable to lend credence to that claim. You are safer claiming that Bin Laden and his fellow Islamic radicals did not support the Ba'ath Party.
  24. Banned
    MrTotality's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    343
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    31.17%

    Quote Originally Posted by D_town View Post
    WOW, you know your history...

    Or not.

    There are numerous similar instances in the lives of Saddam Hussein and Adolph Hitler. From there experiences in life, to there dictator beliefs, to there slaughter of those without disregard for human life.
    Were they carbon copies of one another-- absolutely not, but if you cannot see similarities and you cannot fathom the future that Saddam would have created had he been in power, then you are not looking very keenly my friend.

    The even bigger problem today is that there are numerous men in our world today that have the same sort of desires of the Third Reich and much of the world does not seem to care.

    to compare those two is silly. are there similarities? of course, but you could find that in many different leaders. To think that Saddam would have been able to do what Hitler did just shows that you are unaware of the changes in the world since WWII
  25. Banned
    MrTotality's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    343
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    31.17%

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. John View Post
    Here are some "Inconvenient Truths" for you:

    Saddam Hussein killed, on avergae, 95-98 people, every day of his regime.

    He lined up entire villages, and bulldozed them into mass graves--often alive.

    He imprisoned and tortured children in order to get back at their parents.

    He was practicing genocide against the Marsh Arabs--a culture which lived peacefully in the area for millenia.

    He was protecting and fostering terrorism all over the world.

    He DID have weapons of mass destruction--get past the Liberal media and do some honest reserach. The evidence is overwhelming.

    Who was his Number One hero? Adolph Hitler. And we have Hussein's writing where he was plotting to literally follow in Hitler's footprints.

    He ordered the ignition of thousands of oil wells, causing unspeakable damage ot the environment (where are the Tree Huggers over that?).

    And then there's Kuwait? Remember? And numerous violations of his surrender terms--with corrupt United Nations support (and France, German, Russia).

    And you would stand by while he did all that? Have you no heart?

    Liberals only have a "heart" when it gets them votes.
    those are very extreme charges that you make but amazingly you make no effort to give any source for your information. Try to keep in mind for one second as well that this is not a liberal/conservative issue. Lets try logic for a split second. Throughout the planet there are horrible leaders who have committed some awful attrocities, is it the responsibility of globo cop to clean up every mess? We have many domestic issues, but sadly we have leadership that cant seem to figure out which direction is the right way to go.

    Well at least 2008 is not too far away
  26. New Member
    rightship3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    76
    Rep Power
    129
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    90.56%

    Quote Originally Posted by MrTotality View Post
    those are very extreme charges that you make but amazingly you make no effort to give any source for your information. Try to keep in mind for one second as well that this is not a liberal/conservative issue. Lets try logic for a split second. Throughout the planet there are horrible leaders who have committed some awful attrocities, is it the responsibility of globo cop to clean up every mess? We have many domestic issues, but sadly we have leadership that cant seem to figure out which direction is the right way to go.

    Well at least 2008 is not too far away
    You can't possibly be this naive. Anyhow, here are your sources. They are abundant...

    You say this is not a liberal or conservative issue, and I somewhat agree. However, when one party votes for war to end these terrorism camps, atrocities (ethnic cleaning of kurds), rape rooms, and torture houses...and then goes back on their word for political expediency, it becomes an issue. The hypocrites on the left are rabid if we 'do nothing' about human rights abuses in Sudan and Iraq...and then turn around and call us war mongers when we actually take action and free a country from a murdering dictator. They are intellectually dishonest.

    Halabja poison gas attack (several hundred to 5000 dead when Saddam's planes dropped Mustard & nerve agent on the city) - Wikipedia
    Halabja poison gas attack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Mass Graves in Iraq (estimate 300,000 dead) - BBC News
    BBC NEWS | Middle East | Babies found in Iraqi mass grave
  27. Banned
    MrTotality's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    343
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    31.17%

    Quote Originally Posted by rightship3 View Post
    You can't possibly be this naive. Anyhow, here are your sources. They are abundant...

    You say this is not a liberal or conservative issue, and I somewhat agree. However, when one party votes for war to end these terrorism camps, atrocities (ethnic cleaning of kurds), rape rooms, and torture houses...and then goes back on their word for political expediency, it becomes an issue. The hypocrites on the left are rabid if we 'do nothing' about human rights abuses in Sudan and Iraq...and then turn around and call us war mongers when we actually take action and free a country from a murdering dictator. They are intellectually dishonest.

    Halabja poison gas attack (several hundred to 5000 dead when Saddam's planes dropped Mustard & nerve agent on the city) - Wikipedia
    Halabja poison gas attack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Mass Graves in Iraq (estimate 300,000 dead) - BBC News
    BBC NEWS | Middle East | Babies found in Iraqi mass grave
    first, thank you for the sources, at least it is a start. I wouldnt use wiki myself, but the BBC one is better.

    I dont think this is an issue of right v. left. I am an old George Washington federalist which makes me a bit isolationist, which is tough in these times. However, there are many on the right who are war mongers, and at the same time there are many on the left who are as you describe them.

    My issue with Dr. John was that Saddam was not Hitler, was not close to being Hitler. That is partially due to the different times we are living in. The attrocities of Saddam are terrible, no doubt about it, but they pale in comparison to WW2. However, at the end of this all, will people be talking about the attrocities of George W. Bush?
  28. New Member
    rightship3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    76
    Rep Power
    129
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    90.56%

    Quote Originally Posted by MrTotality View Post
    first, thank you for the sources, at least it is a start. I wouldnt use wiki myself, but the BBC one is better.

    I dont think this is an issue of right v. left. I am an old George Washington federalist which makes me a bit isolationist, which is tough in these times. However, there are many on the right who are war mongers, and at the same time there are many on the left who are as you describe them.

    My issue with Dr. John was that Saddam was not Hitler, was not close to being Hitler. That is partially due to the different times we are living in. The attrocities of Saddam are terrible, no doubt about it, but they pale in comparison to WW2. However, at the end of this all, will people be talking about the attrocities of George W. Bush?

    Actually I think history will treat GW Bush quite favorably. The current political atmosphere is rampant with idealogues that spew venom based on emotion and are void of logic or reason. These folks are infectious with their 'hate-Bush-at-all-costs' mentality. Cooler heads will prevail, the middle-east will be given a true chance to prosper, and America will be seen as a country that used it's strength and spirit to help the world, as we have done countless times.
  29. Banned
    MrTotality's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    343
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    31.17%

    Quote Originally Posted by rightship3 View Post
    Actually I think history will treat GW Bush quite favorably. The current political atmosphere is rampant with idealogues that spew venom based on emotion and are void of logic or reason. These folks are infectious with their 'hate-Bush-at-all-costs' mentality. Cooler heads will prevail, the middle-east will be given a true chance to prosper, and America will be seen as a country that used it's strength and spirit to help the world, as we have done countless times.
    a bit idealistic are we? I gotta disagree, I think history will be a very harsh judge of this administration and its bumblings
  30. Banned
    Nullifidian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,741
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    14.57%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by MrTotality View Post
    a bit idealistic are we? I gotta disagree, I think history will be a very harsh judge of this administration and its bumblings
    This administration will go down as the worst in history.
  31. New Member
    Rufio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    158
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    6.68%

    Quote Originally Posted by rightship3 View Post
    The following sources will show you that Saddam's Elite Forces Trained Terrorists in camps around Iraq.

    Source #1 from Wall Street Journal
    OpinionJournal - Featured Article

    Source #2 from WorldNetDaily
    WorldNetDaily: Documents show Saddam trained terrorists

    Source #3 from FreeRepublic
    Iraq was a terrorist state -- despite biased media and Democratic Party officials' claims


    Well actually all 3 of your sources report the same source ... One Stephen Hayes.


    Hayes' credibility is somewhat questionable:

    The Hayes memo is important—but bogus. - By Daniel Benjamin - Slate Magazine


    Here's an excerpt:


    Hayes contends that Feith's document demonstrates that the relationship between al-Qaida and Iraq "involved training in explosives and weapons of mass destruction, logistical support for terrorist attacks, al Qaeda training camps and safe haven in Iraq, and Iraqi financial support for al Qaeda—perhaps even for Mohamed Atta." Yet in any serious intelligence review, much of the material presented would quickly be discarded. For example, one report claims Bin Laden visited Baghdad to meet with Iraqi Deputy Prime Minister Tariq Aziz in 1998, but this is extremely unlikely to be true given how many intelligence services were tracking both individuals' movements. Countless intelligence and press accounts of Bin Laden's travels have appeared over the years while the man himself remained only where he was safe: Afghanistan. Hence, another report that has him traveling to Qatar in 1996 is almost as unlikely.


    Here's the original source attacking Hayes:


    Media Matters - Stephen Hayes: Conservatives' favorite authority on "The Connection"


    And here's one of the most interesting links from that original source:

    DefenseLink News Release: DoD Statement on News Reports of Al Qaeda and Iraq Connections


    There are several links of reputable authors disputing Hayes' claims. At the least I'd say that Hayes' work is dubious.






    Quote Originally Posted by rightship3 View Post

    Regarding your sources that support the claim that Saddam was #2 on Bin Laden's list...nadda. There was nothing substantive or verifiable to lend credence to that claim. You are safer claiming that Bin Laden and his fellow Islamic radicals did not support the Ba'ath Party.

    I never said that he was #2 on Bin Laden's list. However, Bin Laden did indentify him as an "infidel," which pretty much takes any credibility away from the supposed Saddam/Osama connection, which I've seen no evidence for whatsoever.
  32. New Member
    Rufio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    158
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    6.68%

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. John View Post
    It's merely a question of one being stopped sooner than the other. Both had similar aspirations--and taste for brutality.

    It's just not a debatable point to those who have actually studied the life of Saddam Hussein.


    You can say the same thing for most politicians including Bush. If you've studied PNAC, their approach to international politics is pretty much based on the belief that America should run the world. That's what Bush and Reagan's regimes were based on.


    Which world leaders aren't willing to kill mass amounts of innocent people to further their power?


    The difference between Saddam and Hitler is that Hitler gained control of one of the most powerful governments in the world, while Saddam was in control of a country with one of the poorest economies in the region. Saddam didn't have the means to oppress us.


    You could also compare the current Saudi regime to Hitler in many respects, yet we're allied with them.
  33. Banned
    MrTotality's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    343
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    31.17%

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. John View Post
    I don't know why a couple of you have such a hard time with simple facts. Hussein was well-known to have worshipped Hitler, and was modeling a world empire after his. It all started with Kuwait (as war with Iran failed). Should Hitler have been stopped at...darn, cannot remember his first escapade. Who can help a brother out? Norway?

    Hussein also stated that Israel should be burned to the ground, and all the Jews slaughtered.

    You are the one who is "unaware". You should not try to belittle people who know more about this than you do--but that is pretty common these days.
    not belittling anyone, however it seems you didnt read my post at all. I will call an end to our conversation here as you are more interested in fighting than anything else.

    Good day
  34. Banned
    MrTotality's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    343
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    31.17%

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. John View Post
    Only those who either hate America or remain brainwashed by the Liberal media.
    Ok I promise, this is my last comment.

    This was hilarious
  35. New Member
    Rufio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    158
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    6.68%

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. John View Post
    I don't know why a couple of you have such a hard time with simple facts. Hussein was well-known to have worshipped Hitler, and was modeling a world empire after his. It all started with Kuwait (as war with Iran failed). Should Hitler have been stopped at...darn, cannot remember his first escapade. Who can help a brother out? Norway?


    Actually, there is some evidence that Saddam believed that the US gave him the go-ahead to invade Kuwait:

    Whatever Happened to April Glaspie?

    US Ambassador Glaspie:
    "We have no opinion on your Arab-Arab conflicts, such as your dispute with Kuwait. Secretary (of State James) Baker has directed me to emphasise the instruction, first given to Iraq in the 1960s, that the Kuwait issue is not associated with America."

    (Saddam smiles)

    At a Washington press conference called the next day (July 26, 1990), US State Department spokesperson Margaret Tutweiler was asked by journalists:

    "Has the United States sent any type of diplomatic message to the Iraqis about putting 30,000 troops on the border with Kuwait? Has there been any type of protest communicated from the United States government?"

    To which Tutweiler responded

    "I'm entirely unaware of any such protest."

    On July 31, 1990, two days before the Iraqi invasion, John Kelly, Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern Affairs, testified to Congress that the

    "United States has no commitment to defend Kuwait and the US has no intention of defending Kuwait if it is attacked by Iraq."




    I've seen some Middle East experts claim that the US essentially was telling him that he could rectify borders and raise oil prices in Kuwait, but being the crazy loon that he is he interpretted it as a go-ahead that they'd support the ivasion.





    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. John View Post
    Hussein also stated that Israel should be burned to the ground, and all the Jews slaughtered.


    What's your point? All you seem to be saying is "Saddam Hussein was evil" over and over and over again. We know. That's not news. It still doesn't change the legality of the invasion based on international law or the fact that the US didn't care about Saddam's brutality and in fact supported it until he threatened control of the oil reserves. Most world leaders are very brutal and willing to commit mass murder for power.
  36. New Member
    Rufio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    158
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    6.68%

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. John View Post
    Say whatever you want, but it is a fact that several of the world's top terrorists were living in Iraq under Hussein's protection.


    It is a fact in that it's not an opinion, but the majority of evidence points to it being an incorrect fact. And it's not what I'm saying, but what several different sources are saying compared to what Stephen Hayes is saying.


    It's also interesting that "many" of the terrorists claimed to be among the "8,000" in Iraq are members of GSPC, which has an estimated membership between a few hundred up to possibly 3,000 and operates first and foremost in Algeria. They must've shipped over half their membership over to Iraq in order to make up any significant portion of that supposed 8,000 people.
  37. New Member
    Rufio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    158
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    6.68%

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. John View Post
    I inserted a couple of observations above, in bold.


    Saddam killed more Muslims than anyone else, eh? I'd LOVE to hear where Saddam killed over 1.3 million people, the number of Iraqi civilians who were killed by the US embargo that Madeline Albright stated was "worth it."
  38. New Member
    Rufio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    158
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    6.68%

    Quote Originally Posted by rightship3 View Post
    You can't possibly be this naive. Anyhow, here are your sources. They are abundant...

    You say this is not a liberal or conservative issue, and I somewhat agree. However, when one party votes for war to end these terrorism camps, atrocities (ethnic cleaning of kurds), rape rooms, and torture houses...and then goes back on their word for political expediency, it becomes an issue. The hypocrites on the left are rabid if we 'do nothing' about human rights abuses in Sudan and Iraq...and then turn around and call us war mongers when we actually take action and free a country from a murdering dictator. They are intellectually dishonest.

    The problem is that Bush's cabinet are the ones who supplied Saddam in the first place and tolerated these murders for over a decade until Saddam got too big for his britches regarding control of Middle Eastern oil. The other problem is that the US government has killed more Iraqis than Saddam ever did.


    Beyond that, they're still closely allied with countries like Israel and Saudi Arabia which have a huge number of human rights violations and mass murder. In fact, the US government vetoed the ceasefire on Gaza a few years back.


    Saddam being gone is great, but the fact of the matter is that US actions have killed more Iraqis than he ever did, and looking at the history of US-Iraqi relations makes the reasoning for the war VERY dubious. If Bush and co. really cared about the Iraqi people so much, they wouldn't have supplied Saddam for so many years while turning a blind eye to his atrocities.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. John
    What a ridiculous comment to make. Where do you get this stuff? Did you ever hear of, in recent history, a guy named Jimmy Carter?


    Aside from the El Salvador incident and setting the precedent for religion inserted into politics, I'm curious what your argument is.


    I'd say the worst recent regime is Reagan. There's Iran-Contra, REX 84, attempting to ban porn, his "war on drugs," virtual genocide in Latin America resulting in thousands upon thousands of deaths, mismanaging the economy which is what caused the famous tax raise during Bush Sr.'s reign, etc.


    Going a bit further back, FDR, Truman, and Kennedy had a lot of blood on their hands.
  39. New Member
    Rufio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    158
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    6.68%

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. John View Post
    The Jews have suffered more than any people in the history of the world. They have a right to protect their homeland and citizens. That they get down to business to do that is of necessity, not choice. How many terrorist bombings would you support in your own neighborhood?


    So because they're Jews they can do whatever they want? And if you want to talk terrorism, the very formation of Israel was essentially a terrorist act, as were the ever-increasing settlements that drove so many thousands of Palestinian civilians out of their homes.


    Israel's government, and specifically the Mossad are easily as much terrorist entities as the Palestinian organizations fighting against them. And at the end of the day, it's the Palestinians who've had their land stolen almost like the Native Americans and who've had far more casualties.



    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. John View Post
    As far as our previous support of Hussein--it's a big world out there. And a tough one. Grow up.

    YOU grow up. Your thought process is seriously scary. It seems very Orwellian in nature. When it comes to your "America is #1" rhetoric, it seems like you're able to hold two blatantly contradictory notions as both being true.


    If people like Rumsfeld and Cheny supported Saddam and armed him for years, knowing he was killing these people and helping him do just that, then how do you figure that these murders were their motive for turning on him? It makes no sense. In fact, shouldn't they be considered ACCOMPLICES to Saddam's atrocities?





    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. John View Post
    That you would disrespect one of the greatest men in the history of this country (Ronald Reagan) says much of your jaded world view.


    What a great counter argument. You completely ignore the deeds of Reagan which are historical facts and reiterate his mythical status among Neocons. This is another "attack on character" fallacy.


    In case you're not up to date with the virtual genocide that was ordered in Latin America during the 80's:


    Consortiumnews.com

    Thanks, Ronnie, For The Debacle In Latin America (Articles) Jacob Wheeler



    To deny that this happened is to disrespect the memory of tens of thousands of people who were slaughtered.



    And are you denying Reagan's misdeeds regarding Iran-Contra? You're SERIOUSLY delusional if so.


    Remember Ronnie saying "I told you that I was innocent, and in my heart I still believe that to be true. The evidence, however, says otherwise" ...?






    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. John View Post
    Your phrase I bolded shows how deluded you are. Where do you come up with this nonsense? Dennis Kucinovich?


    Back in 1996, Madeline Albright did not even deny that over a half million CHILDREN in Iraq had already died due to the US embargo:

    "We Think the Price Is Worth It"

    Lesley Stahl on U.S. sanctions against Iraq: We have heard that a half million children have died. I mean, that's more children than died in Hiroshima. And, you know, is the price worth it?

    Secretary of State Madeleine Albright: I think this is a very hard choice, but the price--we think the price is worth it.

    --60 Minutes (5/12/96)



    The final estimates I've seen from some sources have been higher than 1.5 milllion, but to be conservative let's assume it's around 1.3 million as reported here:

    Death Toll from Embargo over 1.3 Million: Iraq



    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. John View Post
    Are you comparing Reagan and Bush to Hitler and Hussein?


    No. I am pointing out that Reagan and Bush have death tolls easily on par with or even surpassing Saddam's. Hitler is in a whole nother league. Aside from his higher death tolls, he was one of the few politicians who genuinely believed in his own hype. Saddam was more of a traditional politician compared to Hitler in that, although the Ba'athists were allied with the Nazis during WW2, Saddam is a more secular ruler who's in it for the power. Hitler was so wrapped up in his ideology that he made military decisions based on it.
  40. New Member
    Rufio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    158
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    6.68%

    Just to lighten the mood a little, this Youtube is good for a laugh:

    YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

    And I think it teaches a valuable lesson about how not to approach a debate.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Taking Testrenx What would you recomend for post cycle
    By sonofsatan666 in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-08-2006, 01:56 AM
  2. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 08-23-2006, 10:04 AM
  3. PP run, what would you add??
    By ripped22 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-18-2006, 06:20 PM
  4. Replies: 46
    Last Post: 12-16-2005, 06:30 PM
  5. What would you reccomend for me?
    By WAHCHING in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-21-2005, 04:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in