Need Advice/Feedback

savigne

Awards
Stats-
6'2
179lbs
22 years old

Background: About a year ago, I lost about 40 lbs, from 210 to 165, mostly through an unhealthy diet (IE not eating enough) and over-excercise. Through this forum and a few books, I decided 2 months ago to try and gain muscle and a healthy routine. More recently, I've started a weekly log of my weight and progress.

Date Body Weight % Body Fat

2/12/2009 174.0 11.4
2/19/2009 172.0 11.4
2/26/2009 173.6 11.9
3/5/2009 175.0 10.5
3/12/2009 177.2 11.5
3/19/2009 179.6 11.9

Nutrition: I have a clean diet and have been increasing my calories since I started. I just bumped up to 3500c and switched from a 45C, 35P, 20F mix to 45P, 35C, 20F.

Routine:

Thu-Chest
Fri-Back
Sat- Rest
Sunday-Shoulders
Monday- Arms
Tue- Rest
Wed- Abs

I do HIIT cardio on all of the workout days and try to keep it under 15min (used to run 4-5k often).

goal- looking to be trim, mean & lean

I'm looking for feedback and what should I can be doing to maximize results...I appreciate it.

Attachments

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
1. Post an example of what your diet looks like.
2. Start Squatting.

savigne

Awards
Thanks for the response...

regular day...

breakfast(10am)- fiber cereal, milk, banana, toast, 2 eggs, mini whole wheat bagel, low fat cottage cheese

lunch(1pm)- chicken breast, salsa, sweet potato, hummus

4pm- 2 tins of tuna, mayo, whole wheat bread, mixed nuts

7pm- chicken breast, salad with olive oil, refried beans, avacodo

10pm- chicken breast, broccili, salsa

before bed- yogurt and low fat cottage cheese, mixed with jelly

when i workout, I have two scoops of whey post workout, also, when i wake up to use the restroom in the middle of the night, i have 1 scoop of whey. If I'm ever short on calories or protein during a meal, I substitute mixed nuts or whey protein. I drink moderately usually 1 night a week.

I appreciate it.

StephenSavage

Awards
Squat squat and squat some more
Get at least to leg days ina week
1 light 1 heavey
with out working legs it will really impede your gains
at least thats just me and im an easy gainer

StephenSavage

Awards
Oh and if your looking for extra calories and are not afraid of farts
Milk is your best friend
Cosco out here sells milk 4.50 for 2 gallons
a half gal a day is an easy way to add and extra 80g protien
120g carbs 20 grams fat for cheap

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
add carbs and protein pre workout as well. shoot for 50-75g of carbs and 30g of protein. then focus on the compound lifts - nothing will bulk you up like deadlifts, squats, and bench press.

nsmoney1

nsmoney1

Awards
get like 3-4 tubs of true mass or a diff weight gainer, up your calorie intake w/ food and use the true mass in between meals (each shake is like 650 calories)

Youll need to blub up a lil at first to bulk, then once your up 20-30 lbs cut and do it all over.

IMO your workouts should look like this - roughly 2 hrs each

M - Chest/Tri's
T - Back/Bi's
W - Shoulders/LEGS
TR - Rest Day
F - Chest/Tris
SAT - LEGS/Bi's
SUN - Rest Day

Limit your cardio, 15-30 mins per week. drink a lot of protein shakes

thats my 2 cents, goodluck bro

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
get like 3-4 tubs of true mass or a diff weight gainer, up your calorie intake w/ food and use the true mass in between meals (each shake is like 650 calories)

Youll need to blub up a lil at first to bulk, then once your up 20-30 lbs cut and do it all over.

IMO your workouts should look like this - roughly 2 hrs each

M - Chest/Tri's
T - Back/Bi's
W - Shoulders/LEGS
TR - Rest Day
F - Chest/Tris
SAT - LEGS/Bi's
SUN - Rest Day

Limit your cardio, 15-30 mins per week. drink a lot of protein shakes

thats my 2 cents, goodluck bro
!???!??!!! 2 hours a workout???

And you're better off making your own weight gainer.....

nsmoney1

nsmoney1

Awards
yeah 1 1/2 - 2 hrs is about right. This guy needs any extra time in the gym. You gotta really hit up your chest, back and legs hard if you want to put the size on.

once your bodys in shape and youve been consistant, go heavy. sets of 6-8. Then you can throw in a 4th or 5th set of a lighter weight and bust out like 12-15

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
yeah 1 1/2 - 2 hrs is about right. This guy needs any extra time in the gym. You gotta really hit up your chest, back and legs hard if you want to put the size on.

once your bodys in shape and youve been consistant, go heavy. sets of 6-8. Then you can throw in a 4th or 5th set of a lighter weight and bust out like 12-15
Explain your reasoning behind lifting for 1.5-2 hours.
Overtraining if you ask me....

Go heavy or go home. Don't wait on lifting heavy.

nsmoney1

nsmoney1

Awards
well im not disagreeing with you but I feel like someone who wants big gains fast needs to put their time in the gym PERIOD. For example, my chest workout over the winter was ridiculous.. sets galore, and I use to bitch at my training partner all the time that we were overtraining and he insisted that it was necessary

We'd go -

Flat bench 4 sets heavy, then go over to flat bench dumbells and bust out another 3-4 more sets Then we'd move to incline bench then to incline db and decline so on. By the time we were done chest it was already about an hour then we blasted our tris

nsmoney1

nsmoney1

Awards
and for the record, id literally feel like i was hit by a car the day after

savigne

Awards
I appreciate all the thoughts...

I'm at 3500-4000 calories right now w/o weight gainer shakes. On work days, (on my feet for most the shift), I always make sure to hit 4000+ and basically eat every spare minute I can. I would prefer a relatively clean bulk, but perhaps a weight-gainer shake would be good before work. Not looking to be huge just fit, athletic.

Upon everyone's advice, I did squats for the first time last week and tried deadlifts this morning, and will incorporate them (and others) into my workouts going forward. What I'm trying to do now is work multiple body parts at each workout so I hit each muscle group twice a week or so. This seems to be the consensus vs. one-day a week for each muscle area.

My workouts consist of about 50 minutes of weight lifting, 10-20 minutes of cardio, and 5 minutes of stretching. The length seems ideal for me. I try to keep it to 10 minutes of short but intense cardio and would rather increase my calories than limit my cardio much more (actually enjoy running, etc).

I'll take weekly pictures, so I can adjust accordingly.

Let me know of any other thoughts...Cheers.