Alcohol!!!!!!!

jaredmb05

Awards
I decided to stop drinking to focus on building and have been really great about it for a while now but I had a moment of weakness and got SMMMMMMMMMMASHED last night! (hella pissed off I did that!)

anyone have any suggestions of what I can do today nutrition wise so I don't completely lose all the gain I possibly got this week!?!??!

THANKS!

jsp0882

Banned
Awards
  • Established
tons of water, screwing up once isn't going to do anything. just make sure u keep eating like normal and rehydrate yourself.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
You at the same party as me? haha southside chicago?
Anywho, i had a bit last night, i dont get smashed, just so i feel good.

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
I got lit about 3 times last week, which is very odd.
Posiedon, and a multi is great before bed to prevent defense the hangover.Unless you use anmal pack for your multi. if so, shame on you sir.

Water, and food will fix it. Next time, call a brother when you have a party.:hammer:

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Don't seat it bro, body building shouldn't keep you from having what ever you do for fun once in a blue moon. Just make sure to drink lots of water and get back into your nutrition program so that your primed for your workout tomorrow.

The only real question I have for you know, is was last night fun? lol

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
All good suggestions already. Hydration is the absolute key. Poseidon is a staple of mine when i do have those days.

The only thing i would add is a potent antioxidant formula to help limit the hangover effect by combating free radical formation due to alcohol (etoh) metabolism. Glutathione stores and re-synthesis are vital in this process.

I would suggest looking into our RPN: "NOxidant" as a GREAT formulation of potent and effective antioxidants. The best time to take NOxidant in a situation like this is right before bed. This can help the body maintain adequate stores of antioxidants, and limit the free radical damage effect; as well as contribute to helping the body to neutralize harmful toxins.

Check out this article. Towards the bottom, there is a section on glutathione and ethanol metabolism:

Glutathione. What is glutathione, how is glutathione made and how to safely increase glutathione levels answered on the Web Site.

This is a good read on effects of ETOH on the body systems. Just keep hitting next on the bottom of the page and it continues to elaborate on its effects:

Alcohol Chemistry and You

king1033

king1033

Awards
  • Established
i quit drinking played to much with my gains plus i get more play without the alchohal (the stellar personality and body holmes) the alchohal ruins everything and makes me look like **** id rather look really good the hot girls like that a lot more than the drunk, and the drunk hot girls love it a lot more :)

merph

merph

Awards
Hydrate, eat clean, (easier said than done), and relax. I don't know about you but if I go out drinking the next day I can stomach lucky charms and Dr. Pepper. Hence the reason I don't drink much at all anymore.

Boyders

Boyders

Awards
  • Established
I too have a weak spot for the drink. I try to keep it once a week and I do recall hearing it kills protein synthesis for up to 24 hours so I try and work my routine and drinking so they don't overlap.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
When I used to drink often I would leave a bottle of gatorade and a multi on my night stand and down it before I fell asleep. No hangover. I don't drink anymore though. If you're really serious about making progress,it just isn't worth it.

Dietfreak

Awards
In short, stay hydrated and allow time for alcohol dehydrogenase to do its job.

Fatty acids accumulate in the liver.
Alcohol impacts amino acid metabolism
Dampens (ADH) which helps maintain fluid balance in the body. So now instead of retaining water you are excreting it and to make it worse you probably continue to drink alcohol when you get thirsty... drink water in between drinks. Also with that water loss you are losing minerals and impacting your electrolyte balance.
Folate is affected immensely due to alcohol intake. You’re probably thinking why the hell do I care if folate is affected.

Folate converts homocysteine to methonine. Alcohol disrupts folate's ability to convert homocysteine to methonoine. The result is an excess of homocysteine, which has been linked to heart disease, and an inadequate supply of methionine, which slows the production of new cells." (1)

B1 and B6 are also affected.

“In addition to the impact on your body alcohol is involved in all of the following:” (2)

1/4 of all ER admissions
1/3 of all suicides
1/2 of all homicides
1/2 of all domestic incidents
1/2 of all traffic fatalities
1/2 of all fire victim fatalities

The MEOS is usually responsible for 20% of alcohol a person ingests but it is kind of like a second responder.

"If a person drinks and uses another drug at the same time the MEOS (microsomal ethanol oxidizing system) will dispose of the alcohol first and metabolize the drug more slowly." (3)

"About 10% of the alcohol leaves the body through the breath and the urine." (4)

The nutrition bottom line: alcohol receives priority treatment that effects nutrient metabolism, protein/amino acid synthesis, water/electrolyte balance, fatty acid accumulation, vitamin deficiency, and adds 7 calories/g of empty nutrients.

References:

1. Whitney, Eleanor and Sharon Rolfes. Understanding Nutrition. Belmont: Thomson/Wadsworth, 2005. 245.

2. Whitney, Eleanor and Sharon Rolfes. Understanding Nutrition. Belmont: Thomson/Wadsworth, 2005. 246.

3. Whitney, Eleanor and Sharon Rolfes. Understanding Nutrition. Belmont: Thomson/Wadsworth, 2005. 244.

4. Whitney, Eleanor and Sharon Rolfes. Understanding Nutrition. Belmont: Thomson/Wadsworth, 2005. 244.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
“In addition to the impact on your body alcohol is involved in all of the following:” (2)

1/4 of all ER admissions
1/3 of all suicides
1/2 of all homicides
That is some interesting info right there. Sorry,I did not mean to double post.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
In short, stay hydrated and allow time for alcohol dehydrogenase to do its job.

Fatty acids accumulate in the liver.
Alcohol impacts amino acid metabolism
Dampens (ADH) which helps maintain fluid balance in the body. So now instead of retaining water you are excreting it and to make it worse you probably continue to drink alcohol when you get thirsty... drink water in between drinks. Also with that water loss you are losing minerals and impacting your electrolyte balance.
Folate is affected immensely due to alcohol intake. You’re probably thinking why the hell do I care if folate is affected.

Folate converts homocysteine to methonine. Alcohol disrupts folate's ability to convert homocysteine to methonoine. The result is an excess of homocysteine, which has been linked to heart disease, and an inadequate supply of methionine, which slows the production of new cells." (1)

B1 and B6 are also affected.

1/4 of all ER admissions
1/3 of all suicides
1/2 of all homicides

The MEOS is usually responsible for 20% of alcohol a person ingests but it is kind of like a second responder.

"If a person drinks and uses another drug at the same time the MEOS (microsomal ethanol oxidizing system) will dispose of the alcohol first and metabolize the drug more slowly." (3)

"About 10% of the alcohol leaves the body through the breath and the urine." (4)

The nutrition bottom line: alcohol receives priority treatment that effects nutrient metabolism, protein/amino acid synthesis, water/electrolyte balance, fatty acid accumulation, vitamin deficiency, and adds 7 calories/g of empty nutrients.

References:

1. Whitney, Eleanor and Sharon Rolfes. Understanding Nutrition. Belmont: Thomson/Wadsworth, 2005. 245.

2. Whitney, Eleanor and Sharon Rolfes. Understanding Nutrition. Belmont: Thomson/Wadsworth, 2005. 246.

3. Whitney, Eleanor and Sharon Rolfes. Understanding Nutrition. Belmont: Thomson/Wadsworth, 2005. 244.

4. Whitney, Eleanor and Sharon Rolfes. Understanding Nutrition. Belmont: Thomson/Wadsworth, 2005. 244.
That is some interesting info right there.