How am I not losing?

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
I am 6'2", 180, and my bf% is 8-10% (hard to pin because I look cut in some areas and not in others.) I have gained about 20 lbs. since the start of the new year, and have been on my bulking stage for about four months. Now that I've decided I'm going to bring my bulk to a halt, as I'm fairly happy where I am strength-wise, I want to trim some of the fat off of myself. However, this is harder than it seems. I've been eating what I believe to be a very balanced and clean diet, and I have been eating less frequently lately than I had previously been. I lift Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Saturday, have a long running day on Wednesday, and I tend to do some jogging and HIIT three other days of the week. I'm a pretty hard worker both in the weightroom and on the pavement, but I'm not seeing too much weight loss. I'd like to lose anywhere from 10-20 lbs. by July, and have been thinking about taking Recreate. My main reason for posting is to hear the opinions of the AM community on my diet. What should I cut down on?

My daily diet is as follows:

7:20 AM
Frosted Mini Wheats (1 serving, 200 cal, 1g fat, 6g protein, 48 carbs)
1 cup skim milk (80 cal, 0g fat, 8g protein, 12g carbs)

11:30 AM
Thomas Bagel Bread (286 cal, 2g fat, 10g protein, 57g carbs)
Cooked Chicken -meat only- (213 cal, 5g fat, 42g protein, 0 carbs)
Mandarin Orange Cup (104 cal, 0g fat, 2g protein, 24g carbs)
Light Hawaiian Punch (Splenda, aspartame free, 10 cal, 2 carbs)

4:30 PM
3 cups skim milk (240 cal, 0g fat, 24g protein, 36g carbs)
Body Fortress 100% Whey Protein Shake w/ Fiber (268 cal, 4g fat, 52g protein, 6g carbs)
Orange (85 cal, 0g fat, 2g protein, 21g carbs)

7:00
(Dinner of some sort, always includes salad with light italian dressing, skim milk, the main course usually being meat-oriented, and thus high in protein and calories, but average in fat and low in carbs.)

2 cups milk (160 cal, 0g fat, 16g protein, 24g carbs)
Mystery estimation dinner (400 cal, 14g fat, 40g protein, 20g carbs)
3 cups raw spinach, olives, cherry tomatoes, kidney beans, light italian dressing (600 cal, 4.5g fat, 40g protein, 105 carbs)

And that's it. It comes out to an estimated total of 2874 cal, 31.5g fat, 248g protein, and 405g carbs. Another sidenote- I never cheat; I can't remember the last time I've had pure milk chocolate. Should I cut down on how much milk I'm drinking to cut calories (can I utilize all 48g milk protein)? Reps to all those who help.

P.S. I bought a container of Soy Protein a while ago, but I am apprehensive in my approach after my discovery of the claims that it raises estrogen, etc. What should I do with it?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am 6'2", 180, and my bf% is 8-10% (hard to pin because I look cut in some areas and not in others.) I have gained about 20 lbs. since the start of the new year, and have been on my bulking stage for about four months. Now that I've decided I'm going to bring my bulk to a halt, as I'm fairly happy where I am strength-wise, I want to trim some of the fat off of myself. However, this is harder than it seems. I've been eating what I believe to be a very balanced and clean diet, and I have been eating less frequently lately than I had previously been. I lift Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Saturday, have a long running day on Wednesday, and I tend to do some jogging and HIIT three other days of the week. I'm a pretty hard worker both in the weightroom and on the pavement, but I'm not seeing too much weight loss. I'd like to lose anywhere from 10-20 lbs. by July, and have been thinking about taking Recreate. My main reason for posting is to hear the opinions of the AM community on my diet. What should I cut down on?

7:20 AM
1 cup skim milk (80 cal, 0g fat, 8g protein, 12g carbs)

11:30 AM
Thomas Bagel Bread (286 cal, 2g fat, 10g protein, 57g carbs)
Cooked Chicken -meat only- (213 cal, 5g fat, 42g protein, 0 carbs)
Mandarin Orange Cup (104 cal, 0g fat, 2g protein, 24g carbs)

4:30 PM
3 cups skim milk (240 cal, 0g fat, 24g protein, 36g carbs)
Body Fortress 100% Whey Protein Shake w/ Fiber (268 cal, 4g fat, 52g protein, 6g carbs)
Orange (85 cal, 0g fat, 2g protein, 21g carbs)

7:00
(Dinner of some sort, always includes salad with light italian dressing, skim milk, the main course usually being meat-oriented, and thus high in protein and calories, but average in fat and low in carbs.)

2 cups milk (160 cal, 0g fat, 16g protein, 24g carbs)
Mystery estimation dinner (400 cal, 14g fat, 40g protein, 20g carbs)
3 cups raw spinach, olives, cherry tomatoes, kidney beans, light italian dressing (600 cal, 4.5g fat, 40g protein, 105 carbs)

And that's it. It comes out to an estimated total of 2874 cal, 31.5g fat, 248g protein, and 405g carbs. and I never cheat; I can't remember the last time I've had milk chocolate. Should I cut down on how much milk I'm drinking to cut calories (can I utilize all 48g milk protein)? Reps to all those who help.

P.S. I bought a container of Soy Protein a while ago, but I am apprehensive in my approach after my discovery of the claims that it raises estrogen, etc. What should I do with it?
Drop the frosted mini wheats...too much sugar. Nail down the dinner...too much carbs. I'd drop them in half and see how it goes. at 180lbs, 400g of carbs is not a cut diet IMO. Drop them to 200g will save you 800 calories

You could Up the fat...it's only 10% of your calories...by adding some fish oil or evoo. Add 10g fishoil and 2 tblsp of evoo will give you back ~300 calories.

At 180lb you are eating at 16x bw. Dropping the 500 calories (800 total carb calories) will put you at about 13+ x bw. Additionally try to keep your carbs around training times and less at the end of the day.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
darn it b, I don't really have anything left to add. you covered the majority

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sometimes it just takes awhile to kick start the fat burning engine. I went my first 3 weeks only losing 2lbs and after that I started to do some noticeable dropping.

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the advice, B5. Any opinion on the soy question?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't know much about those "myths" of estrogen and soy in males.

I do know that some cheaper protein manufacturers have been slipping it into the blends these days and it is likely, I am assuming, cheaper, and a means to keep cost from sky rocketing as the rest of the whey industry has been for some time now.

Personally....I would not seek it out or use it intentionally. Just personal and with no grounds to support it other than that.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
lower dem carbs and up them fats. find your caloric maintenance connected to your resting/exercise combo and lop off 500 of them suckers. should start you out nicely.

oh, and cardio is a must, however, it don't have to be running on a damn treadmill. do something different, something fun, like yoga, jump training, jump jacks all together in one for about an hour. you will sweat like never before. and be hungry as heck.

ntrlmuscle

ntrlmuscle

Awards
....on another note, start weighing EVERYTHING you eat to determine portion sizes. I can't count how many times i've made this recommendation and had a client all of a sudden able to start shedding the pounds after a plateau. The numbers don't lie...

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
cut carbs in half, up fat slightly.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
Why would I want to up my fat intake?
You need to cut carbs because your body will store it as fat if you get more than you need, which is why you aren't losing. However, you need to replace the calories with something otherwise you'll lose too much weight, and since fat is the smallest portion of your diet, that is what you should up. Also, replace the mini wheats with oats. Hell you can pour milk over it with equal and cinnamon. It tastes pretty good. High glycemic carbs (refined sugars) post workout only, to spike insulin and start the recovery process.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
http://goodfats.pamrotella.com/

there's a link. what that might not tell you is this--------------some healthy fats are better than others. i didn't look through all of that on the page. i will say this, in case it didn't cover it: monounsaturated fats/saturated fats/good cholestorol in high amounts ALL facilitate mad testosterone production. EAT YOUR EGGS AND THE YOLKS, etc.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You need to cut carbs because your body will store it as fat if you get more than you need, which is why you aren't losing. However, you need to replace the calories with something otherwise you'll lose too much weight, and since fat is the smallest portion of your diet, that is what you should up.
I disagree. The OP needs to first ensure that he is taking in 2874 kcals by measuring his portions. Once he's accurate then he needs to cut calories if he's still not losing.

First and foremost, the body stores excess energy. The macros that the energy comes from is secondary.

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
*You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Manimalia again.

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I was thinking about switching cereals to Atkins' Morning Crunchy Almond Crisp- 15g protein, 2g fat, 10g carbs.

I'll start at about 10g fish oil after I get the carbs down.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
I disagree. The OP needs to first ensure that he is taking in 2874 kcals by measuring his portions. Once he's accurate then he needs to cut calories if he's still not losing.

First and foremost, the body stores excess energy. The macros that the energy comes from is secondary.
What? Excess enegy? What? Once glycogen stores are full, the body converts excess sugars to fat, and stores it. Why do you think people who drink beer get fat? There is no fat in beer. Hmmmm could it be all the sugar? With all due respect your post doesn't even come close to making sense. No kidding he needs to cut calories, that is the whole essense of his post, but if you look at his intake, you will see that carbs are way over what they should be, and sugary carbs at that. He doesn't want to cut calories too low, or he'll drop significant lean mass. Since protein is where it should be, the only macro he can raise, while cutting carbs, is fat. This is unless he wants to get into some kind of ketogenic diet, which from reading his post, I don't think he does.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
What? Excess enegy? What? Once glycogen stores are full, the body converts excess sugars to fat, and stores it. Why do you think people who drink beer get fat? There is no fat in beer. Hmmmm could it be all the sugar? With all due respect your post doesn't even come close to making sense. No kidding he needs to cut calories, that is the whole essense of his post, but if you look at his intake, you will see that carbs are way over what they should be, and sugary carbs at that. He doesn't want to cut calories too low, or he'll drop significant lean mass. Since protein is where it should be, the only macro he can raise, while cutting carbs, is fat. This is unless he wants to get into some kind of ketogenic diet, which from reading his post, I don't think he does.
Mmkay... Relax and put down the Atkins book.

Hey if you want to buy into the 'carb calories are more fattening than fat calories' argument then that is your prerogative. Apart for some subtle differences both are just fuel for the body. Take in too much fuel (protein, carbs, fat, or alcohol) and your body will store the rest as fat.

The only quantitative info in this thread that holds up to scientific scrutiny is the calorie counts. I have never seen any ideal macro ratio (e.g. 'carbs are way over what they should be') that has. I you have I would sure like to read it.

Cerberus

Awards
Try this breakdown:

Non-workout days:
Calories: 2090
Protein: 270
Carbs: 50 (mainly from veggies)
Fat: 90

Workout Days:
Calories: 2300
Protein: 250
Carbs: 245
Fats: 35

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
If I were you or you were I, I'd also confine my carbs to lower GI such as:

Lentils
Pearl Barley
Ezekial bread
Strawberries
Blueberries

and I'd drop the milk...

...and up the good fats (as mentioned).

Soy protein is a slower digesting protein then Whey. Its fine to take ...I don't feel like going into it but its fine bro...

...in fact I prefer a soy, casein blend prior to a workout so I have some protein circulating in my bloodstream throughout the workout.

Bro I don't mean to be an assh@le but it doesn't look like a very serious diet to me.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think your calories are fine...if i remember you are an athlete and your in your teens so you should have a pretty fast metabolism and the amount of carbs isn't a problem. I would change to some better carb sources and maybe lower them a little bit just displacing them with some healthy fats. You don't need to drop carbs extremely low to cut(especially being an athlete and being young). If you still can't lose then slowly drop 100-200 calories from that a week until you start losing then stay at that point.

Good luck man, i will start cutting at a similar amount of calories this coming week :afro:

FOOFAC

FOOFAC

Awards
  • Established
I was in the process of replying to this earlier but I had to go kick someone's a$$.

If you take in too much protein or fat it doesn't spike the sh!t out of your insulin but carbs especially high GI carbs will. On the other hand protein and fat when taken with carbs will help to retard the insulin response. Too much of anything will make you fat no doubt but I have trained people who are especially sensitive to carbs. They usually have some common traits; they were fat/chubby as a kid, gain weight easily and typical healthy eating combined with exercise results in very little weight loss. These people often lower their caloric intake so low out of frustration when dieting that the majority of their weight loss is muscle which in extreme cases actually increases their body fat percentage resulting in what I like to call skinny-fat. In these cases I would have to agree that carb calories are more fattening than fat calories. I do not know if the OP is in this category so I will focus on what he posted. If you want to keep the Frosted Mini Wheats you can but only for the first meal of the day and/or post-w/o. I don't think you are getting enough fiber but I did see that you are taking fiber with your protein shake but I don’t know how much so maybe you are getting enough but doubt it. If you are not getting enough fiber and you change nothing other than your fiber intake the average person will lose approx 5lbs in a year. Your protein intake is all over the place. You are only taking in 14gr for breakfast and then your next 3 meals are 54gr, 84gr & 96gr. Try to have approx the same amount of protein for every meal. Which leads to my next point, eat more meals. For example your body does not need 96gr of protein at any one time so you are eating to excess in these cases. Even if you divide your protein evenly over 4 meals it is still 62gr per meal and imho still too high. Shoot for 6 meals (eat every 3hrs) which would give you approx 40gr of protein for every meal. This will make better use of your protein and prevent it from being stored as fat from excess. Eat the majority of your carbs early in the day and post-w/o. Try to avoid anything made with enriched flour so for breads stick to rye, pumpernickel & stone milled whole wheat. You should also steer clear of pasta, potatoes & rice but you can have these for the first meal of the day and/or post-w/o. Cut your carbs lower as you get close to bedtime and take in some protein 1hr or so before bed. I also noticed that you said you never cheat on your diet which can also slow progress when dieting. Some people do re-feeds and the like on some low carb diets which is up to you. I would at least have one day a week where you have a cheat meal or two to prevent your body from lowering it's BMR.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Hey if you want to buy into the 'carb calories are more fattening than fat calories' argument then that is your prerogative. Apart for some subtle differences both are just fuel for the body. Take in too much fuel (protein, carbs, fat, or alcohol) and your body will store the rest as fat.

The only quantitative info in this thread that holds up to scientific scrutiny is the calorie counts. I have never seen any ideal macro ratio (e.g. 'carbs are way over what they should be') that has. I you have I would sure like to read it.

I agree with you, but with him as well :) I think the less subtle difference is in short term caloric surplus in conjunction with high GI carbs. And when I say short term I mean 3-4 hour range. With a 3 meal a day type nutrition I could see there being a fat gained difference between a no/low carb diet and a high/high gi carb diet...

In a 6 meal a day grouping, with no glucose directly taken in I don't think it would make a huge difference, unless possibly one meal is carbs only. that would be a little iffy.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established

There you go again, changing the subject. Who said anything about adkins? I'm talking about a healthy, balanced diet. You need fat in your diet in order to burn it. Now I'm not suggesting bad fats, just healthy oils and EFAs. I never said carb calories are more fattening, I just think he needs to even out a little. You have yet to offer a suggestion to his question. Why is he not losing?

FOOFAC

FOOFAC

Awards
  • Established
You have yet to offer a suggestion to his question. Why is he not losing?
I know this wasn't directed to me but the biggest reason why he is not losing is because of his macronutrients ratios and meal spacings. You are only taking in 14gr for breakfast and then your next 3 meals are 54gr, 84gr & 96gr. He is lucky he is not losing because the majority of it would likely be muscle as result of not eating from 7PM & 7:20AM. His breakfast is not doing much to reverse the catabolic state his body is in after fasting for 12+hrs then his largest meal of the day is his last one 96gr of protein, 14.4gr fat & 149gr of carbs. The majority of your carbs should be taken early in the day and post-w/o because you are more likely to burn any excess when you are active or in the case of post-w/o replace glycogen stores that have been depleted. Most people are not very active after their last meal so it is not a good idea to go nutz on the carbs at that point. I don't know any sumo wrestlers but I have always been told that's how they eat to get fat; fvck all during the day and then a big a$$ meal before bed. Don't quote me on that. lol

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
If I were you or you were I, I'd also confine my carbs to lower GI such as:

Lentils
Pearl Barley
Ezekial bread
Strawberries
Blueberries

and I'd drop the milk...

...and up the good fats (as mentioned).

Soy protein is a slower digesting protein then Whey. Its fine to take ...I don't feel like going into it but its fine bro...

...in fact I prefer a soy, casein blend prior to a workout so I have some protein circulating in my bloodstream throughout the workout.

Bro I don't mean to be an assh@le but it doesn't look like a very serious diet to me.
I started taking the soy again, this time in the morning for higher protein content during breakfast.

True, the carbs are too high and I should avoid them later in the day; I always thought of fat as the enemy, rather than carbs, so, in this respect, 31.5g fat/day I consider pretty strict. However, I have recently upped them to somewhere in the ballpark of 55 to 60g, coming from Omega-3 Fiber Enriched Flax Cereal and 10g fish oil/day. The mini-wheats have been dropped, but I have to have at the very minimum 1 1/2 cups w/ Soy Protein shake, and 2-3 cups w/ Whey Protein shake. That would drop it to about 4 cups/day.

I think your calories are fine...if i remember you are an athlete and your in your teens so you should have a pretty fast metabolism and the amount of carbs isn't a problem. I would change to some better carb sources and maybe lower them a little bit just displacing them with some healthy fats. You don't need to drop carbs extremely low to cut(especially being an athlete and being young). If you still can't lose then slowly drop 100-200 calories from that a week until you start losing then stay at that point.

Good luck man, i will start cutting at a similar amount of calories this coming week :afro:
Thanks man. As mentioned above, I'm dropping the mini-wheats, and replacing them with eggwhites and the soy protein shake. Also, I've changed around my whey shake to be taken with 10g omega-3 fish oil caps, and the concoction will include 2 1/2 cups milk, a few dashes of fiber, 1 tbsp. peanut butter, 2 cups fiber-enriched omega-3 flax cereal (Go Lean! Crunch, or something), and 2 scoops chocolate whey.

Good luck with your cut too, man. :cool:

I was in the process of replying to this earlier but I had to go kick someone's a$$.

If you take in too much protein or fat it doesn't spike the sh!t out of your insulin but carbs especially high GI carbs will. On the other hand protein and fat when taken with carbs will help to retard the insulin response. Too much of anything will make you fat no doubt but I have trained people who are especially sensitive to carbs. They usually have some common traits; they were fat/chubby as a kid, gain weight easily and typical healthy eating combined with exercise results in very little weight loss. These people often lower their caloric intake so low out of frustration when dieting that the majority of their weight loss is muscle which in extreme cases actually increases their body fat percentage resulting in what I like to call skinny-fat. In these cases I would have to agree that carb calories are more fattening than fat calories. I do not know if the OP is in this category so I will focus on what he posted. If you want to keep the Frosted Mini Wheats you can but only for the first meal of the day and/or post-w/o. I don't think you are getting enough fiber but I did see that you are taking fiber with your protein shake but I don’t know how much so maybe you are getting enough but doubt it. If you are not getting enough fiber and you change nothing other than your fiber intake the average person will lose approx 5lbs in a year. Your protein intake is all over the place. You are only taking in 14gr for breakfast and then your next 3 meals are 54gr, 84gr & 96gr. Try to have approx the same amount of protein for every meal. Which leads to my next point, eat more meals. For example your body does not need 96gr of protein at any one time so you are eating to excess in these cases. Even if you divide your protein evenly over 4 meals it is still 62gr per meal and imho still too high. Shoot for 6 meals (eat every 3hrs) which would give you approx 40gr of protein for every meal. This will make better use of your protein and prevent it from being stored as fat from excess. Eat the majority of your carbs early in the day and post-w/o. Try to avoid anything made with enriched flour so for breads stick to rye, pumpernickel & stone milled whole wheat. You should also steer clear of pasta, potatoes & rice but you can have these for the first meal of the day and/or post-w/o. Cut your carbs lower as you get close to bedtime and take in some protein 1hr or so before bed. I also noticed that you said you never cheat on your diet which can also slow progress when dieting. Some people do re-feeds and the like on some low carb diets which is up to you. I would at least have one day a week where you have a cheat meal or two to prevent your body from lowering it's BMR.
I thought protein utilization was based purely off of the sources you get your protein from (ie Soy, Whey, Casein, etc.), rather then when you get your protein. As stated above, I'm upping my protein intake at breakfast time to at least 48g with the soy, milk, and eggwhites. It's tough for me to get 6 smaller meals/day, but I'll work on 5. Also, my high carb and protein sums can largely be attributed to massive amounts of kidney beans eaten (which I do only sparingly), but will now take further caution. Their carb/protein/cal count was through the roof, as I found later.

I know this wasn't directed to me but the biggest reason why he is not losing is because of his macronutrients ratios and meal spacings. You are only taking in 14gr for breakfast and then your next 3 meals are 54gr, 84gr & 96gr. He is lucky he is not losing because the majority of it would likely be muscle as result of not eating from 7PM & 7:20AM. His breakfast is not doing much to reverse the catabolic state his body is in after fasting for 12+hrs then his largest meal of the day is his last one 96gr of protein, 14.4gr fat & 149gr of carbs. The majority of your carbs should be taken early in the day and post-w/o because you are more likely to burn any excess when you are active or in the case of post-w/o replace glycogen stores that have been depleted. Most people are not very active after their last meal so it is not a good idea to go nutz on the carbs at that point. I don't know any sumo wrestlers but I have always been told that's how they eat to get fat; fvck all during the day and then a big a$$ meal before bed. Don't quote me on that. lol
Plan mentioned above. :cool:

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
There you go again, changing the subject. Who said anything about adkins?
It was a dig at the Atkins craze because what you are preaching is consistent with Atkins inspired anti-carb gospel.

You need fat in your diet in order to burn it.
That theory is so misleading that I would go so far as to say that it is rubbish.

Your body uses whatever energy you provide it with. If you are on a high fat diet then your body has no choice but to use it.

"No no..." you might say, "You have to have dietary fat in order for your body to utilize bodyfat!" That too would be false. The whole point of bodyfat is to store energy in case of starvation. Your body most certainly can tap into it without dietary fat or any food intake whatsoever.

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
Quick update: down about 10 lbs. without any cardio due to stress fracture and a grade I-II ankle ligament injury. I think I've found my groove, though, and the aforementioned fat burning engine has been started.

This no-cardio thing is killing me, though.

Last edited:
EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It was a dig at the Atkins craze because what you are preaching is consistent with Atkins inspired anti-carb gospel.

That theory is so misleading that I would go so far as to say that it is rubbish.

Your body uses whatever energy you provide it with. If you are on a high fat diet then your body has no choice but to use it.

"No no..." you might say, "You have to have dietary fat in order for your body to utilize bodyfat!" That too would be false. The whole point of bodyfat is to store energy in case of starvation. Your body most certainly can tap into it without dietary fat or any food intake whatsoever.

There are essential amino acids, and essential fatty acids. There are no essential carbs. With too low of a fat intake, your body can't create enough cholesterol, which means you can't create enough testosterone. low fat is silly, low carb is reasonable.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
There are essential amino acids, and essential fatty acids. There are no essential carbs. With too low of a fat intake, your body can't create enough cholesterol, which means you can't create enough testosterone. low fat is silly, low carb is reasonable.
Not sure where you are going with this. Low is a relative term. As far as what is reasonable, IMO any diet that provides sufficient nutrition to facilitate optimal metabolism is just that. As long as those bases are covered and, as someone else pointed out, that one is eating smaller meals regularly through the day then one macro is as good as another for energy.

Going back to the OP: My position was that it is not necessary to skew one's macro ratio away from carbs and towards fat in order to lose body fat. This is just not necessary metabolically. If you are happy with, feel good on, and meet your goals on a low carb diet then great but it's not the only way to get there. The OP was estimating parts of his diet and it only takes about 500 additional, unaccounted kcals consumed throughout the day to torpedo one's fat loss program. Hence that is where I suggested he look first, not flip flopping his macros.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
wasn't really going anywhere with it :D moreso just making sure that people don't always attempt to strike fats first even tho its what the US food pyramid recommends, and is denser calorically. the fats are more important (of the right type and quantity) to health than carbs are

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
Going back to the OP: My position was that it is not necessary to skew one's macro ratio away from carbs and towards fat in order to lose body fat. This is just not necessary metabolically. If you are happy with, feel good on, and meet your goals on a low carb diet then great but it's not the only way to get there. The OP was estimating parts of his diet and it only takes about 500 additional, unaccounted kcals consumed throughout the day to torpedo one's fat loss program. Hence that is where I suggested he look first, not flip flopping his macros.
:goodpost: