Stomach activity during training? - AnabolicMinds.com

Stomach activity during training?

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  218 lbs.

Stomach activity during training?

So what exactly does the stomach do during training? Does it slow down, speed up, what? I have always consumed a pre-workout meal 45 minutes before exercise, and this got me thinking, what is the stomach doing if there is maybe a half of a meal just hangin out in the stomach when the workout starts? Anyone have any idea?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.

Depending on how fast your metabolism is and how long in advance you ate your meal your stomach will still be working to break down food via digestion and pushing it into the Small Intestine for nutrients to be absorbed. A lot of people will find if they eat too close or too much before training they will feel sluggish and lethargic and it has a lot to do with your body using energy to break down the food.
  3. New Member

Just a side note bro, during the post work out period (pwo) you ideally want an empty stomach. Let me explain. When digestion occurs, blood travels to the stomach to form enzymes for digestion. Now PWO, you want as much of that blood in the muscles delivering nutrients rather than being diverted to the stomach potentially slowing down the 'nutrient superhighway'. That's why I like to use powder free form amino acid supplements and BCAA powders ONLY in the pre and pwo time. In the free form no digestion is needed as is the case with whey protein. Plus the free forms and bcaa enter circulation much quicker than any whey protein can boast. This keeps blood in the muscles and away from the stomach.

Now with that being said, would a whey shake pwo really slow your nutrient delivery down ? Probably not terribly, but if you're like the rest of us, you'll take any advantage you can get to gain more muscle in less time!
    •   

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Topfueljunkie View Post
    Just a side note bro, during the post work out period (pwo) you ideally want an empty stomach. Let me explain. When digestion occurs, blood travels to the stomach to form enzymes for digestion. Now PWO, you want as much of that blood in the muscles delivering nutrients rather than being diverted to the stomach potentially slowing down the 'nutrient superhighway'. That's why I like to use powder free form amino acid supplements and BCAA powders ONLY in the pre and pwo time. In the free form no digestion is needed as is the case with whey protein. Plus the free forms and bcaa enter circulation much quicker than any whey protein can boast. This keeps blood in the muscles and away from the stomach.
    Blood travels to stomach to form enzymes? LOL

Enzymes come from pancreas and are present in certain parts of the intestine (brush border cell)

Depends on the level of intensity and stress whether or not digestions continues during exercise.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Lao Tse 6th century BC
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  218 lbs.

Hmm, some interesting info in this thread...
  6. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonny21 View Post
    Blood travels to stomach to form enzymes? LOL

Enzymes come from pancreas and are present in certain parts of the intestine (brush border cell)

Depends on the level of intensity and stress whether or not digestions continues during exercise.
    WOW! Did I really type that? That's what I get for trying to type half asleep in the middle of the night! Thanks for the correction.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Paranormal Activity
    By borobulker in forum General Chat
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-12-2009, 03:54 PM
  2. ANDROGENIC ACTIVITY.
    By corsaking in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-11-2009, 10:02 AM
  3. Weight Training on an Empty Stomach?
    By Aniket in forum Weight Loss