Your input for my shake recipe, please?

Harley

Awards
Maybe you nutrition gurus out there can help me out. I am a 41 year old powerlifter competing in 242 and 275 classes. I am fairly lean for a PL at 6'1" and walking around at anwhere from 245-260.

One of my problems is I don't like to eat a whole lot. I find it quite a chore to make myself good meals throughout the day, and a pain to spend time eating. I usually have only 1 to 2 actual sit-down meals per day.

So I came up with a shake that I can just blend up and slam down in about 10 minutes. I have this every morning with a glass of OJ. I also make them about 1-2 more times each day, depending on how my eating went. It's a good, mostly whole food shake w/ about 900 - 1000 calories from mostly good food sources.

I would appreciate any input on the shake and if it needs any tweaking. Nutritional profile should be attached, if I used the attachment function correctly, LOL!

Thanks for your assistance!

Attachments

vision

wow, all that mixes with only one cup of milk? My shake is somewhat similar:

2 cups of milk
80g of oats
4-5 servings of egg whites
Supplements
muscle milk or cyto gainer for flavor

Mine comes out to about 800-900 calories, it's been working for me. I'm up to 179 lbs from 160lbs in less than 7 weeks and I think this shake has helped me do that.

I hate preparing food too, at night I just cook a real big steak, microwave a bag of veges and dump it all in a big bowl and thats my last 2-3 meals for the night.

ShiftyCapone

ShiftyCapone

Awards
  • Established
Well that is quite the concoction...

Only two other things come to mind that could help you switch things up a little: natural peanut butter (or almond butter) and honey. Other than that, you pretty much have it in there. :food:

tattoopierced1

only 1-2 real sit down meals? I'd try and work on that. Try eating 1-2 more times in the day, portion out your meals smaller until you get used to consuming that much food. I had the same problem, but took this step to get used to eating more whole foods than shakes and gradually stepped down from eating those 1-2 extra meals per day and added the food content to my regular meals. Also, thats a whole lotta fat in one of those shakes, especially if you are having one numerous times per day. Are you having any GI issues from your diet?

nelix

Awards
  • Established
Try and keep the calls under 500 per 8oz... And I would try and not drink more than 3 8oz shakes a (workout) day.
I think eating my oats (ie chewing them and mixing them with saliva [needed to digest most things]) is more effective than swallowing them whole.

My shakes are like so:
2 Egg
5oz Milk
1TSP BCAA
1TBSP WPI
1TBSP HWP
1/2 Banana
1TBSP Maple Syrup
Some source of fibre (pysilium husks... Fenugreek, flax seeds)

I cut the fibre, fruit, eggs etc if its a workout drink (just carbs and hydro whay)

Harley

Awards
Thanks for the input, guys. Is there any kind of nutritional value to eating whole foods WHOLE, as opposed to putting whole foods in a blender and drinking them?

Also, I have a good amount of fiber in my shakes and no, I don't have any GI issues other than occasional heartburn, which I've had well before doing these. Actually, since I started these my digestive and GI issues have gotten better. Especially in the area of bowel movements (don't mean to be gross).

nelix

Awards
  • Established
There are huge differences between drinking food and chewing it.
Think about it.

Harley

Awards
There are huge differences between drinking food and chewing it.
Think about it.
Besides the mechanical process of mastication (chewing), what substantive difference is there NUTRITIONALLY?

That's not a smart-ass question. I really don't know why there would be any difference just because one accelerates the digestive process by, in essence, "pre-chewing" the whole foods. If there is a difference I'd like to be enlightened.

Thanks!

nelix

Awards
  • Established
Besides the mechanical process of mastication (chewing), what substantive difference is there NUTRITIONALLY?

That's not a smart-ass question. I really don't know why there would be any difference just because one accelerates the digestive process by, in essence, "pre-chewing" the whole foods. If there is a difference I'd like to be enlightened.

Thanks!
Well think about it, you have teeth and digestive enzymes for a reason.

I'll post a little text from Mind And Muscle.

"Slow down: take the time to enjoy your food. Eating slower will help you to eat less, which will aid you in your weight loss struggles. Masticating (chewing) your food thoroughly will also aid in digestion. Carbohydrate digestion begins in the mouth, so chew your food well before ingesting it. You will only use the food that your body absorbs after digestion - anything else will be excreted."

When you chew you break food into tiny pieces and you mix it with saliva... Read for digestion by the stomach, if this does not happen, you are not going to be able to digest food very well.

Also take a read of this QA with Marc McDougal
http://www.mindandmuscle.net/articles/marc_mcdougal/qanda

"Liquid calories pose a problem, a species related problem. A snake’s digestion process is initiated by swallowing, ours is not. Humans have a cascade of digestive activity that is initiated by chewing. This releases salivary enzymes (mainly responsible for starch breakdown however, not protein, but still used as a ‘kickoff’ for the whole process), then the esophagus uses peristalsis to move the food down to the stomach. In the stomach, food is bathed in gastric acid and partially digested, creating a mixture called chyme. This pretty little package is shipped off to the small intestine where the real action happens."

There is more, check it out. Marc is a star.

Besides all this, preparing and eating a meal feels and tastes good, workout shakes make sense, your can't eat a steak while you lift... Some other time related issues make sense, but don't drink em unless you have to, and when you have to, savour them.

Harley

Awards
Thanks for the excerpts. This does make a degree of sense to me, although I think there is still a lot of value in the liquified whole foods I'm using rather than processed powders with all the fillers, preservatives, etc... But I think I will attempt to get in more solid food meals just to ensure the ol' alimentary pathway is being utilized to its fullest potential!!

Thanks again for the input!!

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
Solid foods will also tend to take a longer time to pass through your system, and keep you fuller for a longer period of time.