SUGAR!!!

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Okay look we all know that sugar is the spawn of Satan so here's my question. I drink Greek frappe which is a delicious coffee but I only like it sweet(4 teaspoons of sugar yikes). I only drink black coffee now but on a cheat day I will have it. I work as a trash man literally running down the street all day flinging barrels and burning calories. If I drink my sweet Greek frappe every morning before work, is it ok because I'm literally gonna be running my ass off for the next 6-8 hours? Or is sugar poison no matter what and even if I do strenuous work im still wrecking my body with sugar. Opinions?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Unless your making a living at bodybuilding then enjoy your life. If that ***gy frappe is your biggest worry for the day then your doing just fine. 4 tsp of sugar is not going to kill you. **** I think there's 40tsp in a can of coke

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Spiking your insulin before a lot of exercise will inhibit the fat burning potential of said exercise

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
And worrying about 4tsp of suger will inhibit living a normal life

Sdog77

Sdog77

Awards
  • Established
Unless your making a living at bodybuilding then enjoy your life. If that ***gy frappe is your biggest worry for the day then your doing just fine. 4 tsp of sugar is not going to kill you. **** I think there's 40tsp in a can of coke
Truth!

Apsmith4992

Apsmith4992

Awards
  • Established
Define wrecking your body... are you wanting to cut out some fat?

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Also, insulin spikes lead to elevated cortisol which could affect your muscle mass

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
And worrying about 4tsp of suger will inhibit living a normal life
Well I'm trying to follow a Paleo diet. I make exceptions for feta cheese and peanut butter here and there but mainly I wanna try to stay as natural as possible. So 4 tsp sugar isint really good, but like you say I wanna enjoy my life

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Define wrecking your body... are you wanting to cut out some fat?
No not really worried about gaining a little fat. I just know sugar is absolutely worthless and causes all types of disease

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Well I'm trying to follow a Paleo diet. I make exceptions for feta cheese and peanut butter here and there but mainly I wanna try to stay as natural as possible. So 4 tsp sugar isint really good, but like you say I wanna enjoy my life
I got issues with the Paleo diet. For 1 they only lived to be like 30 back then. 2 why are whole grains bad? 3 drink your frappe and go to work

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'll be at work for 6 to 8 hours. Isn't that ok?
Given what you're doing it won't make too much of a difference. Keep in mind that a lot of ppl purposefully spike their insulin with simple carbs after every workout .
You could offset the sugar by reducing the carb load of your breakfast and adding a lil more slow digesting protein and/or fibre

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Given what you're doing it won't make too much of a difference. Keep in mind that a lot of ppl purposefully spike their insulin with simple carbs after every workout .
You could offset the sugar by reducing the carb load of your breakfast and adding a lil more slow digesting protein and/or fibre
My breakfast is boiled eggs with potatoes and cottage cheese. So that could slow down the carb release and cause less of an insulin spike?

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I got issues with the Paleo diet. For 1 they only lived to be like 30 back then. 2 why are whole grains bad? 3 drink your frappe and go to work
Pretty solid advice although I'm gonna have to stand with the whole grains being bad though

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
If your super worried I think I read something about how adding cinnamon to fast carbs controls blood sugar

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Only if you have that gluten intolerance which only 2% of ppl really have
Actually I do have celiac disease. My mom has it too. Also my great grandmother died young of some weird stomach issue that they never could figure out. So I'm gonna assume she was celiac too

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Actually I do have celiac disease. My mom has it too. Also my great grandmother died young of some weird stomach issue that they never could figure out. So I'm gonna assume she was celiac too
That's crazy. My neice has it and she looked 3 until she was 9 and they figured out she had it, then she grew like 16" in a year when they changed her diet. Most ppl just herd about it and say they do. I got a guy who comes in my bar and swears if there's gluten in his food he will die! And stresses it. But has a bttl of red wine with his meal which contains gluten

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's crazy. My neice has it and she looked 3 until she was 9 and they figured out she had it, then she grew like 16" in a year when they changed her diet. Most ppl just herd about it and say they do. I got a guy who comes in my bar and swears if there's gluten in his food he will die! And stresses it. But has a bttl of red wine with his meal which contains gluten
If I eat gluten once, usually I don't have any immediate symptoms. But if I start eating it daily consistently, my immune system goes to **** and I start breaking out in cold sores and staph infections all over my skin. Doctors originally suspected AIDS!!! LOL imagine a doctor telling you that you could have AIDS and then do a bunch of blood work and you walk around for 3 days thinking you're dying of AIDS and then they're like "lol jk bro, you just can't eat bread" lol

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Lol. Well Ive got a yeast allergy and I still eat bread and drink beer but if I go overboard I get dry skin and weird rash on my eyelids. It sucks but I'll deal with it and u can keep your aids

hambone2493

Awards
  • Established
TBH dude your body will run through that sugar so fast it won't really matter. If you are trying to follow something like carb backloading then yes it would be a good idea, but if not you'll be fine.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using AnabolicMinds mobile app

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
TBH dude your body will run through that sugar so fast it won't really matter. If you are trying to follow something like carb backloading then yes it would be a good idea, but if not you'll be fine.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using AnabolicMinds mobile app
So you don't think I'll be setting myself up for diabetes in the future?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Who would have thought a sugar thread would be so popular

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Who would have thought a sugar thread would be so popular
Well when you think about it, there's alot to be talked about. But I really wanna drink frappe every morning before work. Man that would be so awesome. I would totally look forward to my mornings.

Lofison

Awards
I don't think it's a huge deal, but if you are that worried about it why don't you use stevia?

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Anyways my diet mainly cosists of eggs and boiled potatoes, hamburger Patty and potatoes for lunch. Steak and potatoes and vegetables for dinner and random fruit like some bananas or apples with peanut butter for snacks. So the only crap I intake would be the sweet delicious frappe

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Drink the damn mochafrappalate and go to work dude. You're going to be fine, if anything I'd be more worried about estrogen rebound from gayness of that coffee ?

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Drink the damn mochafrappalate and go to work dude. You're going to be fine, if anything I'd be more worried about estrogen rebound from gayness of that coffee ��
Greek frappe is the most manly drink in the world. It literally cures AIDS because it's so not gay

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My breakfast is boiled eggs with potatoes and cottage cheese. So that could slow down the carb release and cause less of an insulin spike?
The cottage cheese would be good for slowing down the sugars. Just make an effort to start your breakfast before you start drinking your frappe. If you start feeling guilty, you could mix some konjac or psyllium husks into the cottage cheese

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The cottage cheese would be good for slowing down the sugars. Just make an effort to start your breakfast before you start drinking your frappe. If you start feeling guilty, you could mix some konjac or psyllium husks into the cottage cheese
I always eat my breakfast first and then I have my coffee

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I just laughed for 2min straight. Thank you so much. My day is complete.

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
lol it's a sweet coffee... add to your macros and go about your day! If you were like "is it ok to eat a big bowl of lucky charms with some sugar on and drink 2l of Coke for breakfast" I'd probably say you need to rethink your life, that would probably set you up for diabetes haha

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
Pretty solid advice although I'm gonna have to stand with the whole grains being bad though
Whole grains are you considering rice and oats being a whole grain or just pasta? Sorry for the stupid question but if you consider rice and oats being non paleoic look at gladiators who are porridge.

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Whole grains are you considering rice and oats being a whole grain or just pasta? Sorry for the stupid question but if you consider rice and oats being non paleoic look at gladiators who are porridge.
White rice is ok, but Brown has that outter shell that irritates your intestines. Yeah oats suck too

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Ummmm
Not going to weigh in at all on the merits of paleo eating, but as a history teacher, I have to correct your blatant anachronism
Gladiators ate their porridge about 10,000 years after the Paleolithic era ended.

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
Ummmm
Not going to weigh in at all on the merits of paleo eating, but as a history teacher, I have to correct your blatant anachronism
Gladiators ate their porridge about 10,000 years after the Paleolithic era ended.
Haha I wasn't referring to the Paleolithic era my bad I'm terrible in history to begin with I'm more of a science type guy and I know that genetic mutation takes 100000s of years before making a significant impact on how our system works which in this case hasn't taken long enough (homo erectus to Homo sapiens somewhere in the 100k years ago I believe correct me if I am wrong) which is why I believe that the Paleo diet has merit in the fact if we eat what has been encoded into our DNA (what our ancestors eat Homo sapiens) it will be the most beneficial in terms of bodybuilding and healthy living. Although like everything you have to pick and choose from a little bit of everywhere and construct your own theories which as a history teacher you probably do try to tell us college students or high school or whatever level of institution! That's why I brought up porridge. I don't mean to come off as rude or anything I just wanted to express my opinion and thought on the Paléo diet because like op believes in we didn't eat a lot of sugar like that 1000 years ago

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Haha I wasn't referring to the Paleolithic era my bad I'm terrible in history to begin with I'm more of a science type guy and I know that genetic mutation takes 100000s of years before making a significant impact on how our system works which in this case hasn't taken long enough (homo erectus to Homo sapiens somewhere in the 100k years ago I believe correct me if I am wrong) which is why I believe that the Paleo diet has merit in the fact if we eat what has been encoded into our DNA (what our ancestors eat Homo sapiens) it will be the most beneficial in terms of bodybuilding and healthy living. Although like everything you have to pick and choose from a little bit of everywhere and construct your own theories which as a history teacher you probably do try to tell us college students or high school or whatever level of institution! That's why I brought up porridge. I don't mean to come off as rude or anything I just wanted to express my opinion and thought on the Paléo diet because like op believes in we didn't eat a lot of sugar like that 1000 years ago
HS and college-both.
You are on the right track with time needed for any appreciable impact of a genetic mutation with respect to dietary impact.
Paleo, however, has too many fatal flaws for me to consider it a reasonable diet approach:
1) it has a fairly arbitrary and strict set of standards (what our ancestors supposedly ate) for which to deem a food "good" (and the notion of good food/bad food is flawed in and of itself)
2) it is based on a flawed anthropology of our ancestors-what did they really eat? Did they avoid legumes (no)? Etc
3) our paleo ancestors were lucky to see 20 years of age. Not sure I'd consider them the paragon of dietetic health
4) the diet ignores epigenetics: our environment has changed our genome. Even if we could identify the ideal diet that "worked" for our caveman forebearers, we are no longer genetically in the same lineage as them-what makes us think it will "work" for us

I could go on and on

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
HS and college-both.
You are on the right track with time needed for any appreciable impact of a genetic mutation with respect to dietary impact.
Paleo, however, has too many fatal flaws for me to consider it a reasonable diet approach:
1) it has a fairly arbitrary and strict set of standards (what our ancestors supposedly ate) for which to deem a food "good" (and the notion of good food/bad food is flawed in and of itself)
2) it is based on a flawed anthropology of our ancestors-what did they really eat? Did they avoid legumes (no)? Etc
3) our paleo ancestors were lucky to see 20 years of age. Not sure I'd consider them the paragon of dietetic health
4) the diet ignores epigenetics: our environment has changed our genome. Even if we could identify the ideal diet that "worked" for our caveman forebearers, we are no longer genetically in the same lineage as them-what makes us think it will "work" for us

I could go on and on
That's very true never thought about it that way. Although it has flaws it is a good way of keeping your foods clean (i.e not eating McDonald's) haha.