Tips for Gastric Dumping Syndrome

alexcb

Awards
I recently as in three months ago had my stomach and part of small intestines removed due stomach perforation leading to massive chemical peritonitis. Because I now lack a stomach certain foods cause Gastric dumping syndrome which leads vomiting, hypoglycemia, nausea, diarrhea, and fatigue. Carbs account for the majority of the problem that's why I am trying a Ketogenic diet. Furthermore, I don't produce Ghrelin. If anybody on AM somehow has this problem, any tips on combating it would be greatly appreciated.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Did they not set you up with a nutritionist or give you tips on what to do post-surgery?

alexcb

Awards
No nutritionist since it was at the university and I have since went home. The procedure was done in Ann Arbor, Michigan, now I'm back in VA and will attend Hopkins next year. The only tips they gave me were in regards to how to care for wound and to follow up with a gastroenterologist at home to get the colostomy reversed. I have followed up once and am having the procedure to reverse the colostomy in two weeks. I guess I'll ask about a nutritionist then