Have I been wasting my time with Clif protein bars?

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have been consuming the Clif Builder bars for a while now, at least a year and a half. I have been reading how soy protein isn't really that great and how it may not be utilized as well as whey. The thing is, over the past year I have gotten a ton of strength gains, but no real muscle gains. Right now I can't workout at all though, since I've had foot surgery. Anyway, I do consume 1 to 2 bars a day. So, does that mean I have just been getting useless protein?

MANdrew

MANdrew

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't say it's useless, but whey and animal protein is your best bet. Is this your only source of protein? In the end, muscle gains will always come down to your diet; maybe you haven't had any real muscle gains because you're not eating enough, not because the builders bars have soy protein.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I wouldn't say it's useless, but whey and animal protein is your best bet. Is this your only source of protein? In the end, muscle gains will always come down to your diet; maybe you haven't had any real muscle gains because you're not eating enough, not because the builders bars have soy protein.
I'll rely on the bars to get 20-40 grams of protein a day. I'm sure over time that adds up. I'm not saying that if the bars aren't that great, that's the only reason I haven't had muscle gains. I'm just wondering if it's a contributing factor. I'm just wondering say, if I get 160 grams of protein from meat a day and then 40 grams from the bars, if that really balances out to my body utilizing 200 grams of protein a day; I'm wondering if I'd be better off not having the bars at all if that's the case.

MANdrew

MANdrew

Awards
  • Established
If you can replace them, I would. Probably with something like those Gatorade protein bars, since they use whey protein. But in the end, the fact that it's soy protein isn't going to make such a big difference that it'll impact strength/mass gains since it's such a small amount.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you can replace them, I would. Probably with something like those Gatorade protein bars, since they use whey protein. But in the end, the fact that it's soy protein isn't going to make such a big difference that it'll impact strength/mass gains since it's such a small amount.
Alright, thanks. I rather not replace them, because they're the only bars I can find at a decent price(when bought in bulk) that doesn't have a bunch of artificial ingredients.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for pointing out the Clif BuilderBars use soy protein isolate. I should have read the label more closely.

Quest bars taste horrible - suggestions for alternatives?

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for pointing out the Clif BuilderBars use soy protein isolate. I should have read the label more closely.

Mission1 bars

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The Clif bars actually have soy protein concentrate.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Alright, thanks. I rather not replace them, because they're the only bars I can find at a decent price(when bought in bulk) that doesn't have a bunch of artificial ingredients.
Do you absolutely need to rely on the bars? Is it possible to have a shake or buy something such as beef jerky? What about something quick like overnight oatmeal or you can make your own protein bars, muffins or pancakes.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do you absolutely need to rely on the bars? Is it possible to have a shake or buy something such as beef jerky? What about something quick like overnight oatmeal or you can make your own protein bars, muffins or pancakes.
Yes, I plan on going back to using powder over bars, but the thing is I won't be able to walk until at least the end of March. I just had flat foot surgery and I still need to get my other foot done. I'm basically confined to my room and have to rely on my grandmom to bring me food up. Bars are just very convenient for my current situation. I've been avoiding carbs in general for the most part, except for the bars so I can get protein with carbs. I'm trying to keep my carbs under 100g, but not below 60.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
I'm not the biggest bar user, but I have recently been trying the Fit Crunch bars. They're not bad, but I am not the biggest bar user

Cliff Bars are garbage in my mind

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes, I plan on going back to using powder over bars, but the thing is I won't be able to walk until at least the end of March. I just had flat foot surgery and I still need to get my other foot done. I'm basically confined to my room and have to rely on my grandmom to bring me food up. Bars are just very convenient for my current situation. I've been avoiding carbs in general for the most part, except for the bars so I can get protein with carbs. I'm trying to keep my carbs under 100g, but not below 60.
Got it. Wish you a speedy recovery!

rmanyou

Awards
  • Established
The three? There are like 7. I agree though that Cnc is pretty good. I also like the Birthday Cake and and Penut Butter
I believe you may have confused muscletech with musclepharm.

rmanyou

Awards
  • Established
Volcanus

Volcanus

Awards

I was going to mention Quest bars. Have you tried all the flavors? Some are pretty bad, I agree. But cookies and cream isn't too shabby. White Chocolate Raspberry pretty good too.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
I was going to mention Quest bars. Have you tried all the flavors? Some are pretty bad, I agree. But cookies and cream isn't too shabby. White Chocolate Raspberry pretty good too.
Cookies and Cream is my go to flavor, I also like the Chocolate Mint. The Apple Pie was disgusting and the Chocolate Brownie was like eating dirt in my opinion

Volcanus

Volcanus

Awards
I agree, the chocolate brownie was disgusting. You can never go wrong with the cookies and cream. Just tried lemon yesterday. It was ok.