What do you think of my diet?

joev88

Awards
I am 27 yrs old, 210lb, 5'11, looking to lose weight and gain muscle ideally around 160-170lb. I am probably 25% (give or take) body fat.

Meal1- 2 jumbo eggs mixed with a tbsp salsa and 1oz mexican cheese, and a cup of blueberries.
23.3g of protein, 24.7g carbs, 21.6g fats. Roughly 375 calories.

Meal2- 4 slices of cold cuts ham on 2 pieces of multigrain bread, some mayo, lettuce, and provolone cheese. And a protein shake.
69.3g protein, 57.4g carbs, 31.5g fats. Roughly 797 calories.

Meal3- Protein shake
64.1g protein, 29.4g carbs, 11.6g fats. Roughly 484 calories.

Meal4- 3oz cheddar cheese
21.2g protein, 1.1g carbs, 28.2g fats. Roughly 343 calories.

Meal5- Protein shake.
32g protein, 14.7g carbs, 5.8g fats. Roughly 242 calories.

Total is roughly 2240 calories with roughly 210g protein, 127g carbs, and 99g fats, which equals a ratio of 38% protein, 23% carbs, and 40% fats. Please share your thoughts, it took forever to come up with this plan but thanks to eatthismuch.com I did it.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Looks like your typical diet. Which isn't a bad thing. How long have you been cutting? The only thing I may do is consume more carbs and slightly less fat. Have you calculated your TDEE?

MANdrew

MANdrew

Awards
  • Established
I am 27 yrs old, 210lb, 5'11, looking to lose weight and gain muscle ideally around 160-170lb. I am probably 25% (give or take) body fat. Meal1- 2 jumbo eggs mixed with a tbsp salsa and 1oz mexican cheese, and a cup of blueberries. 23.3g of protein, 24.7g carbs, 21.6g fats. Roughly 375 calories. Meal2- 4 slices of cold cuts ham on 2 pieces of multigrain bread, some mayo, lettuce, and provolone cheese. And a protein shake. 69.3g protein, 57.4g carbs, 31.5g fats. Roughly 797 calories. Meal3- Protein shake 64.1g protein, 29.4g carbs, 11.6g fats. Roughly 484 calories. Meal4- 3oz cheddar cheese 21.2g protein, 1.1g carbs, 28.2g fats. Roughly 343 calories. Meal5- Protein shake. 32g protein, 14.7g carbs, 5.8g fats. Roughly 242 calories. Total is roughly 2240 calories with roughly 210g protein, 127g carbs, and 99g fats, which equals a ratio of 38% protein, 23% carbs, and 40% fats. Please share your thoughts, it took forever to come up with this plan but thanks to
eatthismuch.com I did it.
I agree with Ant, I think you should have less fats and more carbs. What's your training like?

joev88

Awards
I figure I am going to throw oatmeal in there for some more carbs, and might replace the ham with grilled chicken instead that I will grill on sundays and just slice it for sandwiches, I figure that will be healthier than cold cuts? As far as TDEE I am not sure, I am still very new to all of this so im learning lol.

MANdrew

MANdrew

Awards
  • Established
I figure I am going to throw oatmeal in there for some more carbs, and might replace the ham with grilled chicken instead that I will grill on sundays and just slice it for sandwiches, I figure that will be healthier than cold cuts? As far as TDEE I am not sure, I am still very new to all of this so im learning lol.
For TDEE take your body weight and multiply it by 14. I like to follow this sort of ratio for my diet- 25% of all calories come from fats, my protein is 1.3xbody weight, and the rest of my calories come from carbs, and if I'm cutting then I subtract 500 calories from TDEE and if I'm bulking I'll add 500.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Cold cuts are fine if they fit into your macros.

One other thing I would personally do is replace one of the protein shakes with whole food.

joev88

Awards
yeah after looking it over I think a nice real meal for dinner would be nice. I just have to figure out how I can fit the right calories/macros, its such a pain lol

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Eat more whole food, dont get half your protein intake form protein shakes. Get more micronutrients
add more veggies into your diet, vary your protein sources (Beef/Turkey)
Fat is fine, if you function better on a higher fat diet stick with it

i would suggest checking some of these articles over, but you could easily drop the so called "Meal" of cheese which is not really a meal or doing much for you in the grand scheme of things.

I would break that up into 4 meals

Eggs + Toast + Cheese (to make sandwiches) + Blueberries
Chicken/Steak + Rice/Pasta + Veggies + Oil
Protein Shake + Oatmeal + 1-2 TBSP Nut butter
Steak/Turkey + Potatoes + Veggies on the side or another apple/blueberries/strawberries

You could also throw in
Yogurts, Cottage Cheese, Cereal here and there, Potatoes (White/Sweet) for some variety and potassium which is good to have (proper sodium/potassium balance)

Writing out numbers and foods means nothing, it comes down to are you making progress?
Is your digestion good?
is your training performance optimal? And are you maitaning size/strength as you diet down?
Are you getting adequate energy and allocating your foods to help with your training?

Those are far more important.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/exercise-and-weightfat-loss-part-1.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/exercise-and-weightfat-loss-part-2.html

I highly suggest you read here regarding your diet:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-fundamentals-of-fat-loss-diets-part-1.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-fundamentals-of-fat-loss-diets-part-2.html

MANdrew

MANdrew

Awards
  • Established
Eat more whole food, dont get half your protein intake form protein shakes. Get more micronutrients add more veggies into your diet, vary your protein sources (Beef/Turkey) Fat is fine, if you function better on a higher fat diet stick with it i would suggest checking some of these articles over, but you could easily drop the so called "Meal" of cheese which is not really a meal or doing much for you in the grand scheme of things. I would break that up into 4 meals Eggs + Toast + Cheese (to make sandwiches) + Blueberries Chicken/Steak + Rice/Pasta + Veggies + Oil Protein Shake + Oatmeal + 1-2 TBSP Nut butter Steak/Turkey + Potatoes + Veggies on the side or another apple/blueberries/strawberries You could also throw in Yogurts, Cottage Cheese, Cereal here and there, Potatoes (White/Sweet) for some variety and potassium which is good to have (proper sodium/potassium balance) Writing out numbers and foods means nothing, it comes down to are you making progress? Is your digestion good? is your training performance optimal? And are you maitaning size/strength as you diet down? Are you getting adequate energy and allocating your foods to help with your training? Those are far more important. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/exercise-and-weightfat-loss-part-1.html http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/exercise-and-weightfat-loss-part-2.html I highly suggest you read here regarding your diet: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-fundamentals-of-fat-loss-diets-part-1.html http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-fundamentals-of-fat-loss-diets-part-2.html
OP, this is some solid ass advice.

joev88

Awards
Only problem is i work 65-70 hours a week, I simply just don't have time to be in the kitchen so the protein shake just makes things easier for me.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Only problem is i work 65-70 hours a week, I simply just don't have time to be in the kitchen so the protein shake just makes things easier for me.
Bulk cook your food for a few days
I work 60 hours and easily get it done

joev88

Awards
Do you know of any websites that will help me create meals based on my macros? Trying to figure it out on my own is crazy heard...eatthismuich help but not so great

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do you know of any websites that will help me create meals based on my macros? Trying to figure it out on my own is crazy heard...eatthismuich help but not so great
Just use your generic foods and plug the amounts you need, macro wise, into fod tracking software. You're making this way more complicated than it needs to be.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Just use your generic foods and plug the amounts you need, macro wise, into fod tracking software. You're making this way more complicated than it needs to be.
This
Plug into MFP
and adjust portions of what you like to eat.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Meal4- 3oz cheddar cheese
21.2g protein, 1.1g carbs, 28.2g fats. Roughly 343 calories.
Are you just taking a few bites out of a block of cheese here or something?

I would definitely remove this. You can't really call it a "meal."

Replace it with a real food source like meat and vegetables

Meal3- Protein shake
64.1g protein, 29.4g carbs, 11.6g fats. Roughly 484 calories.
What protein powder are you using that has 30 grams of carbs? Or are you blending it up with fruit or something?

If it's fruit you're adding in, that's good. But if the carbs are all from the protein powder itself, you need some new stuff, since that means it's straight sugar.

Check out PES or the new USP Labs Modern Protein. Both are top notch.

joev88

Awards
Should I be eating 1g protein per body weight or per goal body weight?

joev88

Awards
But I am 210, lets say I want to weigh 170, should I be eating 210 or 170 grams?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Go with your current body weight and adjust with weight loss or gain.