Sugar after weighg training???

butrybench555

Awards
I heard sugar is good for after weight training! I want to know if it's true and why?

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
I heard sugar is good for after weight training! I want to know if it's true and why?
completely false. the idea behind it is to rapidly replenish glycogen levels, which is totally irrelevant to a weight lifter who doesn't deplete glycogen hardly at all in a workout.

it could be beneficial to rapidly restore glycogen levels if you are a high endurance athlete competing in multiple bout of endurance exercises back to back.

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
completely false. the idea behind it is to rapidly replenish glycogen levels, which is totally irrelevant to a weight lifter who doesn't deplete glycogen hardly at all in a workout.

it could be beneficial to rapidly restore glycogen levels if you are a high endurance athlete competing in multiple bout of endurance exercises back to back.
To further his point even for those types of athletes there are better options than sugar

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Leucine + whey.

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Best thing is add some cinnamon to your post shake and your good to go

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

Depends on what the weight lifter is doing.. A powerlifter perhaps; if rest periods are sufficient but a traditional bodybuilder will use Glycogen as they tend to have lower rest periods which do not allow for full PCr recovery;

Also the idea of sugar is not just to replenish glycogen; it is to promote insulin secretion to attenuate protein breakdown (thus making protein balance more positive).

Sugar isn't necessary, but it does have its logic.

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
Depends on what the weight lifter is doing.. A powerlifter perhaps; if rest periods are sufficient but a traditional bodybuilder will use Glycogen as they tend to have lower rest periods which do not allow for full PCr recovery;

Also the idea of sugar is not just to replenish glycogen; it is to promote insulin secretion to attenuate protein breakdown (thus making protein balance more positive).

Sugar isn't necessary, but it does have its logic.
even during a "bodybuilding" workout. glycogen levels are hardly depleted, and definitely not needing to be rapidly replenished.
also protein alone is very insulinotropic, no need for carbs(especially table sugar)

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
So adding sweet n low to my post shakes isnt necessary?

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
So adding sweet n low to my post shakes isnt necessary?
truvia tastes so much better, hell even splenda tastes better than sweet and low

pete8407

pete8407

Awards
Stay away from sweet and low It has calcium silicate in it. That is used in all forms of insulation including asbestos, not good.

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
explain please, not arguing
Some studies show it helps decrease HbA1c, total cholesterol, and triglyceride levels all this while it can increase your plasma insulin, hepatic glycogen, and HDL levels in your body. Your suppose to take about 20mg I believe per day day which one table spoon equals about 2260mg

It's good to add to your diet for many reasons. It may not be that important to dose post workout But throughout the day should be good for general health. It also shows to delay gastric emptying and it even makes up for temporary insulin resistance due to lack of sleep which alot of people do lack.

These are many good benefits I've read on cinnamon.

Here's a study I read; Cinnamon improves insulin sensitivity

In one study conducted with 60 people with type 2 diabetes, the daily ingestion of 1, 3, and 6 grams of cinnamon per day for 40 days decreased blood glucose levels by 18-29% (meaning that their cells were responding better to insulin). The group eating 6 grams per day experienced a significant reduction in only 20 days. These effects have also been noted in healthy adults, with the effective dosage being 3 grams per day. To put these dosages into perspective, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon is about 3 grams.

pete8407

pete8407

Awards
Some studies show it helps decrease HbA1c, total cholesterol, and triglyceride levels all this while it can increase your plasma insulin, hepatic glycogen, and HDL levels in your body. Your suppose to take about 20mg I believe per day day which one table spoon equals about 2260mg

It's good to add to your diet for many reasons. It may not be that important to dose post workout But throughout the day should be good for general health. It also shows to delay gastric emptying and it even makes up for temporary insulin resistance due to lack of sleep which alot of people do lack.

In one study conducted with 60 people with type 2 diabetes, the daily ingestion of 1, 3, and 6 grams of cinnamon per day for 40 days decreased blood glucose levels by 18-29% (meaning that their cells were responding better to insulin). The group eating 6 grams per day experienced a significant reduction in only 20 days. These effects have also been noted in healthy adults, with the effective dosage being 3 grams per day. To put these dosages into perspective, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon is about 3 grams.
Very nice info! Thanks

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards

o yes I know all of the benefits of cinnamon, I have researched it quite a bit. I thought you were specifically saying take it post workout. hence why I asked.

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
o yes I know all of the benefits of cinnamon, I have researched it quite a bit. I thought you were specifically saying take it post workout. hence why I asked.
Ohhhh.From what I've seen it's best to take prior to meals. Some will argue about the whole thing on insulin post workout.

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
Ohhhh.From what I've seen it's best to take prior to meals. Some will argue about the whole thing on insulin post workout.
ya ya I got you

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
even during a "bodybuilding" workout. glycogen levels are hardly depleted, and definitely not needing to be rapidly replenished.
also protein alone is very insulinotropic, no need for carbs(especially table sugar)
Too right, I was just saying that you could use sugar for that means, not that it was the only means ;)

Bodybuilding does tend to have an effect on glycogen, but definitely not as much as I made it seem. It all depends on TUT, reps, sets etc. which is highly variable from person to person. If you followed a rep temp of 2-0-2 or something and did 12 reps you would engage the lactic acid system to some degree for instance.

But that doesn't support the need for sugar lol

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
Too right, I was just saying that you could use sugar for that means, not that it was the only means ;)

Bodybuilding does tend to have an effect on glycogen, but definitely not as much as I made it seem. It all depends on TUT, reps, sets etc. which is highly variable from person to person. If you followed a rep temp of 2-0-2 or something and did 12 reps you would engage the lactic acid system to some degree for instance.

But that doesn't support the need for sugar lol
totally agree :smoker: