energy fron fat vs fron carbs

Lockxxheed

Awards
Ok so I've done high fat high protien, and high carbs, mod fat and high protien. My qeustions to you is why does it feel like you can move more weight with carbs, vs from when you get it from fat if fat provides 9cal per gram vs 4 from carbs. Is it a mindfudge or what or is it that with carbs your glycogen stores are recoverd quicker from set to set?

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
carbs are a more efficient source of energy
no...

its becuase they are used more efficeintly for weight triaining.

i feel the oppisite though however. i feel better on no carbs and amazing on fats. I am sluggish when i eat carbs, alwasy.

Lockxxheed

Awards
Yea same I feel bloated and sluggish and if I cut then out I'm light, and bribed out within 2 days I think its just a mind**** for the powerloss, ill eat like 6 beef patties right after I lift

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
try cutting out things with gluten, and avenin (like oats)

stick to potatoes rice quinoa amaranth peas corn carrots squash etc

Lockxxheed

Awards
I'll hive it a try, Whats the difference and what do those things do differently that the patatoes won't?

dalexander

dalexander

Awards
carbs and fats are both utilized during exercise depending on intensity levels. during anaerobic exercise ATP and Creatine Phosphate are primarly used when those stores run out carbohydrates are used. during high intensity mostly carbs are used with a small amount of fat also being used. Just carbs are never the main source there still will be a very small percentage of fat. this is the opposite during aerobic fat is primary fuel sorce RER (respitory exchange ratio) (%CO2/%O2 ) 0.7 fat.... 0.85 mixture of fats and carbs.. greater than 1.1 turns to strictly carbs

Lockxxheed

Awards
Yea I was just reading this up the other day, how fats need an extra oxygen atom to be used and because carbs come with 4 its readily available, good info guys. I decided to do every other day carb refeed, because I just get bloated from everyday carbs ill let you guys know how it goes.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
Yea I was just reading this up the other day, how fats need an extra oxygen atom to be used and because carbs come with 4 its readily available, good info guys. I decided to do every other day carb refeed, because I just get bloated from everyday carbs ill let you guys know how it goes.
energy substrate will be all confused your body will have a hard time knowing where to get energy and may end up burning muscl and fat on the low carb days unless supplementing with leucine inbewtween

dalexander

dalexander

Awards
leucine is an amino acid from meats (proteins). protein is not a major source of energy?

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
leucine is an amino acid from meats (proteins). protein is not a major source of energy?
think your not understanding.

theres a switch in metabolism from carbs/proteins to fats when on a low carb diet.

so giving the body carbs to use for energy and then switching to try using fats (ketones, or by producing ketones) theres a metabolic switch that occurs before hitting ketosis where gluconeogenesis is more pronounced and ur use of protein for energy happens.

dalexander

dalexander

Awards
I understand the shift from carbs to fats. but i dont understand what u saying about leucine?
gluconeogenesis- is creation of glucose simply..... amino acids can be used from various glycolysis & Kreb cycle intermediates. it aids the ability to create ATP but may only contribute 3% during prolonged activity (Brooks, GA. Amino acid and Protein Metabolism during exercise and recovery Med Science Sports Exercise. 19:s150-s156
Loading up on leucine according to studies is not going to help check out study below.
"Supplemental dietary leucine and the skeletal muscle anabolic response to essential amino acids." Nutrition Reviews; Sep2011, Vol. 69 Issue 9, p550-557, 8p, 1 Diagram, 1 Chart.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
I understand the shift from carbs to fats. but i dont understand what u saying about leucine?
gluconeogenesis- is creation of glucose simply..... amino acids can be used from various glycolysis & Kreb cycle intermediates. it aids the ability to create ATP but may only contribute 3% during prolonged activity (Brooks, GA. Amino acid and Protein Metabolism during exercise and recovery Med Science Sports Exercise. 19:s150-s156
Loading up on leucine according to studies is not going to help check out study below.
"Supplemental dietary leucine and the skeletal muscle anabolic response to essential amino acids." Nutrition Reviews; Sep2011, Vol. 69 Issue 9, p550-557, 8p, 1 Diagram, 1 Chart.
i get what your saying ive read the study, however... leucine is a ketogenic amino acid and supplementing with it will increases leptin to a degree and aid in thermogenesis, will be used for energy (bcas are used for energy during exercise as well) and will hopefully keep some sort of added protein to prevent muscle catabolism to a degree.

leucine is not glucogenic, its ketogenic along with lysine.

healthchic

Awards
Carbs DO help recover quicker and build glycogen stores. By limiting them, you limit your ability to gain strength and endurance. Don't go crazy on enriched sweets, but definitely don't cut them out. Our bodies are made to store fat very efficiently and burn carbs. . . . don't try to fight nature.

Lockxxheed

Awards
Well we've adapted to burning carbs as a primary source, back when before agriculture we strived mostly of animal fat and protein and carbs were more of a delicacy and mostly fruits and such. Also back then, you can search it up they have records and they state better bone density, more muscle to fat ratio. And so much more.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
Carbs DO help recover quicker and build glycogen stores. By limiting them, you limit your ability to gain strength and endurance. Don't go crazy on enriched sweets, but definitely don't cut them out. Our bodies are made to store fat very efficiently and burn carbs. . . . don't try to fight nature.
if your dieting replenishing glycogen stores quickly isnt necessary, your body will recycle lactic acid to help replenish glycogen stores. limiting doesnt limit your ability to gain strength and endurance, studies show no changed athletic performance from a carb to 4 week ketogenic diet.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
can anyone say PALEO diet???hahahah

Jentry07

Awards
Complex carbohydrates enter into the oxidation process much more quickly and provide energy almost instantly. While fats make energy available at a slower pace. Although gram for gram, fats supply more energy than carbohydrates.