No energy in the morning - tips?

Toff

Awards
  • Established
I work shifts so some weeks i do early morning weights, other days I do 4pm.

The contrast is night and day..all my lifts drop doing morning workouts and i literally have no energy to finish a set despite taking carbs, creatine, pwo. if i eat a breakfast its wants to come back up.

is this just tough cookie or can anything be done?

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Some stim heavy PWO on the morning WO's may help, but may not be something you'd want to do too often.

On a general note, working out on the same time of day for a longer period of time should help and get the body more accustomed to the 'new' timing of working out, but with working shifts not possible.

I had the same problem, when I worked shifts. After a couple weeks I decided to just WO after my shift, no matter what time it ended. Working out at 11 pm was a lot better, than WO at 11 am, for me.

Last edited:
rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you're able to have the same sleep schedule AND get the proper amount of sleep, then it should get easier. I thought there was no way in hell I could ever workout in the morning but I got there. And as KvanH said, a strong PWO doesnt hurt :)

Last edited:
sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I think in another thread, some people had suggested that you try Muscle Addiction Pump Addict Ultra Hardcore - that would be a great thing to try in my opinion.

I'm not a morning person at all and I'm not working out in the mornings now bc I just within the last week started back working out from my accident, but before then, when I was doing training in the morning, I was drinking a scoop of Pump Addict as soon as I woke up in the mornings. It made a huge difference.

I'm useless first thing in the morning so training for me first thing after I wake up is hell, and it definitely helped my workouts be much more productive.

There are still a lot of days where I'll drink a scoop of it in place of an energy drink to help me get going in the mornings.

It's strong - so no matter what a persons stim tolerance is, or they think it is, I always tell everyone to start with 1 scoop.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I thought there was no way in hell I could ever workout in the morning but I got there.
I've tried on and off for most of my life - I can make myself do it, but I'm comically not a morning person. I remember one morning I fell asleep sitting up on my row machine between sets. :ROFLMAO:😂

botk1161

botk1161

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
If I try to work out at multiple times a day, it goes horrible. I now (and am able too) workout in the AM for every workout and I have never been stronger. I could switch to PM and the same thing would happen. But doing both, no way.

Danksta710

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Caffeine is the only stim I use these days. I've had better luck for energy using stuff like cordyceps. Even black maca is decent for an energy boost. I'll do a monster and cordyceps on an empty stomach first thing and could train for over 2hrs if I wanted. More stims just make the issue worse imo.

Toff

Awards
  • Established
i mean, yeah, ephadrine isnt banned here so maybe we can follow that up!

defo give pump addict a look when the stims run out

DinnerTable²

DinnerTable²

Awards
I have a feeling im about to run into some of these same issues. I havea couple jobs opportunities that pay really well, but one would require me to travel week to week to different locations, and another would require a weird swing shift (4x 12hr dayshift/ off 4 / 4x 12hr nightshift.. repeat)

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I believe morning workouts are something you need to get used to, and after awhile the will become easier and more enjoyable. That being said, you can't stay up till midnight and than give it 100% a few hours later. A good night's sleep in a must. My routine is I got to bed at 8pm, get up a 3am Cup of Coffee or a PWO in the gym at 4am.

Last edited:

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I believe morning workouts are something you need to get used to, and after awhile the will become easier and more enjoyable. That being said, you can't stay up till midnight and than give it 100% a few hours later. A good night's sleep in a must. My routine is I got to bed at 8am, get up a 3am Cup of Coffee or a PWO in the gym at 4am.
You mean 8pm? Or do you sleep 19 hours a day?

That’s about what I do. I start waking up around 2:45-3, start drinking some focus XT or other preworkout, then workout starts anywhere from 3:30 to 4 depending on how I get moving.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You mean 8pm? Or do you sleep 19 hours a day?

That’s about what I do. I start waking up around 2:45-3, start drinking some focus XT or other preworkout, then workout starts anywhere from 3:30 to 4 depending on how I get moving.
Yes I did mean 8pm, nice catch !!

TeddyAxe

TeddyAxe

Awards
Try drinking GABA before bed, there are many manufacturers who sell this supplement, everyone in my circle who has tried it loves it.

PhantomReaper

PhantomReaper

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
There's several things to look at and consider..
First..food intake prior to the lift..
2..Getting enough fluids in..
3..B12 injections are nice..
4..A pre-WO that works for You..OTC and TNE's...
5..Is it energy or motivation..??
Z...