Raw Eggs?

AndreAnabolic

AndreAnabolic

Awards
hey everyone, usually i cook my eggs but when im pressed for time i just throw 5 in a blender with some whey and oats...is it still as benificial eating raw eggs??? am i still getting the same protein absorption?

eggnog631

Awards
not sure if this is bro science or not, but unless the eggs are pasteurized, the bio availability of eggs is way lower. if you get pasteurized eggs in the milk cartons, then its the same as eating a cooked egg.

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
raw eggs cause biotin deficiency which in turn cause your hair to fall out...especially at the amounts your will be using!

majinbijiita

majinbijiita

Awards
eggnog may be more informed on this, but from an article on abcbodybuilding.com i learned that if you want the most protein out of the eggs, they need to be cooked

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Whole eggs shouldn't cause a biotin deficiency. The yolk is chocked full of biotin. Biotin deficiency issues come into play when you solely eat the whites.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Also, heat denatures protein, so, eggs should provide more bioavailable protein when eaten raw.

mikinTx

FWIW, EasyEJL posted a link to Davidson's Pasteurized (in shell) Eggs on a different thread. If ya sign up on their site they'll send ya bunch of $1 and $2 dollar off coupons for their eggs. If you eat 'em raw, use the safe ones.

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
Whole eggs shouldn't cause a biotin deficiency. The yolk is chocked full of biotin. Biotin deficiency issues come into play when you solely eat the whites.
This is correct! I'd still cook them to be safe...especially when you are eating a carton a day.

Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920

FlexW99

FlexW99

Awards
  • Established
Also, heat denatures protein, so, eggs should provide more bioavailable protein when eaten raw.
Negatory. First and foremost, eating raw eggs could cause salmonella. Not sure why'd you wanna risk that.

Secondly, straight from wikipedia "the protein in raw eggs is only 51% bio-available, whereas that of a cooked egg is nearer 91% bio-available, meaning the protein of cooked eggs is nearly twice as absorbable as the protein from raw eggs."

Cook em, eat em, absorb em.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Negatory. First and foremost, eating raw eggs could cause salmonella. Not sure why'd you wanna risk that.

Secondly, straight from wikipedia "the protein in raw eggs is only 51% bio-available, whereas that of a cooked egg is nearer 91% bio-available, meaning the protein of cooked eggs is nearly twice as absorbable as the protein from raw eggs."

Exactly on the Salmonella. Doesn't matter what brand, pasteurized or not, or how fresh etc. Eating raw eggs always runs the risk of getting sick. Then when you lose 10 plus lbs from it, it would have all been for not.

*careful quoting wikipedia, as where things can be fairly accurate, one must remember that the general public controls the content and does not pass an official editorial process. This means you could be reading incorrect info. Not saying your post was wrong, just beware wiki. I think it's a dangerous tool is all.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Don't know how much stock I'm willing to put in that Wikipedia quote.

cmc

cmc

Awards
Exactly on the Salmonella. Doesn't matter what brand, pasteurized or not, or how fresh etc. Eating raw eggs always runs the risk of getting sick. Then when you lose 10 plus lbs from it, it would have all been for not.

*careful quoting wikipedia, as where things can be fairly accurate, one must remember that the general public controls the content and does not pass an official editorial process. This means you could be reading incorrect info. Not saying your post was wrong, just beware wiki. I think it's a dangerous tool is all.
If you choose the raw egg route in shakes (many do) use fresh organic eggs, not regular ones.

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
you are more likely to get struck by lightning and attacked by a shark in the same day than getting salmonella from raw eggs. you can be anal and still call it a risk but then again there is a chance you can get it from cooking/undercooking too.

The Myth

how about get your ass up outta bed 5 minutes earlier and cook the damn things? ; )

ShiftyCapone

ShiftyCapone

Awards
  • Established
how about get your ass up outta bed 5 minutes earlier and cook the damn things? ; )
Haha.... Well said.

I hear Eggbeaters and Liquid Egg Whites (generic or popular brands) are safe to eat without cooking because they're pasteurized. I don't know if that is any different than the in-shell pasteurized eggs.

At any rate, I used to throw the Liquid Egg Whites into my protein shakes. Gave me the worst sh*ts in the world man. Needless to say, I stopped making shakes like that after only a couple times. Raw Liquid Egg Whites = Raw Liqui-Sh*ts....

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
Haha.... Well said.

I hear Eggbeaters and Liquid Egg Whites (generic or popular brands) are safe to eat without cooking because they're pasteurized. I don't know if that is any different than the in-shell pasteurized eggs.

At any rate, I used to throw the Liquid Egg Whites into my protein shakes. Gave me the worst sh*ts in the world man. Needless to say, I stopped making shakes like that after only a couple times. Raw Liquid Egg Whites = Raw Liqui-Sh*ts....
i've been drinking liquid eggs for years now. never had a problem. my problem with cooking them is i w/o in the early morning (in the gym by 3:30am) so i do not eat a whole lot pre w/o (exercising on a full stomach is not appealing to me) so after i w/o get my carbs and whey protein it's on to a carton of eat whites with either wheat bagel or oatmeal to help absorb the eggs and slow down the digestion by putting a solid food in me first, then the eggs. you can always re-heat eggs too, you can cook them fully at night, store them responsabily, and re heat them in the micro in the morning....if i know time will be a factor for me, this is what i do.

vincentv

Awards
I think eating raw eggs is fine provied the shells are not cracked. The salmonela is contained ouside the egg. Before you crack open a egg apply pressure to the shell to see if any cracks open up. If you want to be extra sure, smell the egg once its opened it it smells bad then dont eat it.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
I think eating raw eggs is fine provied the shells are not cracked. The salmonela is contained ouside the egg. Before you crack open a egg apply pressure to the shell to see if any cracks open up. If you want to be extra sure, smell the egg once its opened it it smells bad then dont eat it.
Solid advice right hurr.

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established

Youd be surprised on how accurate wikipedia is. Buddy of mine did a report, and found out that Wikepedia actually has a central headquarters where it employs people to screen and weed out all bad info. 99% accurate and up to date news is updated within the second. Next time you see a historic thing in sports, look it up in wikipedia that second. Chances are itll be there because somebody at headquarters posted it up.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Youd be surprised on how accurate wikipedia is. Buddy of mine did a report, and found out that Wikepedia actually has a central headquarters where it employs people to screen and weed out all bad info. 99% accurate and up to date news is updated within the second. Next time you see a historic thing in sports, look it up in wikipedia that second. Chances are itll be there because somebody at headquarters posted it up.
Oh, I don't doubt that it can be pretty accurate most of the time, but that doesn't mean it's always going to be and a HQ with people weeding out all the wrong info? Not quite. More like a HQ with staff who monitor programs that look for certain kinds of information and run algorithms. Wiki is a peer reviewed/open source site which means that you and I can submit an article and someone else can correct us. The really tricky stuff is articles and definitions of things that are not absolute. Like creationism etc. I've seen a graph relating to articles of that nature and how they have changed over time to reflect the popular belief at the time. As a quick reference wiki is cool, but I wouldn't cite wiki in any college papers that's for sure.

FlexW99

FlexW99

Awards
  • Established
you are more likely to get struck by lightning and attacked by a shark in the same day than getting salmonella from raw eggs. you can be anal and still call it a risk but then again there is a chance you can get it from cooking/undercooking too.
you are a raginfcktard! :bandit:

Urban Monk

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

This was a study done with only egg whites.

FlexW99

FlexW99

Awards
  • Established
This was a study done with only egg whites.
Point?

I'm done debating this. No one can seem to stand corrected. Can't do that!

Andres question was is it beneficial and same absorption. I provided a quote from wiki that said absorption was NOT. Instead of analyzing wiki, get an article that dissproves that article. We can go on and on about wiki but thats not helping Andre now is it?

Do what's best for your bodies. Good Luck God bless.

jdg487

jdg487

Awards
  • Established
I don't know but I always eat two or three raw eggs (local farm raised) in my post wo shake and feel much better now. Faster recovery and I just get a good feeling. Always get the whole egg too for all the good stuff in the yolk.

marco wolf

marco wolf

Awards
  • Established
If you're worried about salmonella, you could always make an eggnog type drink the night before.

Mix 2 cups of milk with 3-6 eggs.
Heat at medium until 160 degrees.
Add teaspoon vanilla extract.
Sugar, to taste.
Refrigerate till morning.
Add cup of heavy cream.
Drink.

You can vary the amount of milk and eggs to get the consistency you want. Of course, the cream and/or sugar is optional. Also, if you go over 160 degrees, the egg whites will start to cook, so you have to watch the temp. carefully.

It might be a pain to do this, but if you're not a "morning person", your eggs will be ready and waiting for you when you wake up.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Bio-availability of the protein increases when you cook them. Cook them if you are worried about the absorption.

Minus83

Minus83

Awards
everybody wants to be like rocky, lol.

ill throw a couple raw ones into my shake in the early morning though, i dont fear salmonella and i usually make an omelette sandwhich later in the day, so its not a matter of "should i not put these eggs in the shake, and cook them now or later" if i didnt put them in the shake i just wouldnt eat them, they are extra to me, not the only eggs i eat, but if im having my post w/o shake, or my early morning shake, why not add a little extra protein to it.

saying someone should wake up earlier to cook eggs they would use in a shake is kind of funny. i wouldnt cook them regardless.

Kalakbar

Awards
I tend to eat at least two raw eggs a day in my protein shakes, some days four. I've been doing this for years, and have *never* had any issues with salmonella. I heard some bollocks on the news recently about "95% of eggs have the salmonella bacteria" and if that's the case, I may just be indestructible.

If you are adding them to shakes, here is the easiest way to check if you have a "sketchy" egg: put the eggs into the blender first. If any of the yolks instantly disintegrate when you drop them into the cup, throw them out.

As far as bioavailability, the yolks are better raw, and the whites cooked. I personally prioritize the fats in the yolk over the protein in the whites, so that's why raw is great for me.

IMPORTANT: If you have a compromised immune system (HIV/AIDs, taking certain medications including anti-rejection drugs for organ donating, etc) I would probably avoid raw egg use. If not, GIVE'R!

krogtaar

Awards
u guys putting the yolks in whey shakes too??? i've been drinking a glass of 6 eggs...but i put them in the oven at 170(its lowest setting) for 30 min. they were like half solidified but still drinkable. still got the runs from it one of the 6 times this week so i think i should cut it back to 3 or 4...or cook a little longer.

(yes want to be like rocky...plus only way i can stomach the cals in the morning)

Cinn

Cinn

Awards
Our stomach denatures protein too....sooooo?

The bioavailability is actually increased by cooking. Part of this is due to cooked proteins eliciting greater enzyme release responses, resulting in more of the protein being digested/absorbed.

PMID: 9772141, 8566605.

Cinn

Cinn

Awards
This is not true. Most salmonella in this day and age is from intact eggs. Infection in the hen's ovaries leads a contaminated egg before the shell is formed.

310lifter

310lifter

Awards
i'd almost think about consuming raw eggs if there were proven benefits...but after suffering from salmonella caused by bad eggs (they were raw), i will never try raw eggs again.

the pain in my stomach was piercing (went away quickly w/ meds)

lost +5lbs

weak as hell for 2 weeks, and thus could not lift during the 2 weeks

took about full 3 weeks before i was back to normal strength

...just not worth it..

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
I don't have to worry about the 'nella. I love eggs, but I can't stomach raw ones.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Brocodeout69 Nutrition / Health 71
bell1986 Nutrition / Health 15
william247 Nutrition / Health 24
cory0475 Nutrition / Health 25
Weight Loss 11