Atkins and Diabetes

footster

footster

Awards
One of my friends parents started talking to this new doctor...I think Dr. Hickery or something. I might be butchering that name. Anyway he was saying you dont need carbs..and that the body will make its own sugar..and you will have more energy by not having sugar carbs. That cholestoral is good and high fat is better...even for preventing heart attacks. Just crazy stuff I havent heard. He put him on the this atkins diet to drop weight, however I just always heard is great to lose weight, but eat a carb again and its all coming back. Ill try to find the real name of the doctor. Just worried about this information he is getting from this doctor. thoughts? and im sorry if I'm not being clear.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It is far from being that simple.

The body cannot synthesize its own carbohydrate although it can isolate it from components of fat and protein.

The body does need a small amount of carbohydrate to maintain brain function. Other than that it can use fat for most energy needs. That said, fat is a poor fuel for high intensity activity.

Weight control has more to do with calorie (energy) control than it does adjusting macro-nutrient proportions.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is far from being that simple.

The body cannot synthesize its own carbohydrate although it can isolate it from components of fat and protein.

The body does need a small amount of carbohydrate to maintain brain function. Other than that it can use fat for most energy needs. That said, fat is a poor fuel for high intensity activity.

Weight control has more to do with calorie (energy) control than it does adjusting macro-nutrient proportions.
wrong, wrong and right :)

The body does create glucose from proteins, the process is gluconeogenesis.

The brain does not need any carbohydrates to maintain brain function, the initial ketogenic diets and what is still their primary use in the medical field came from attempts to control epilepsy in children, where it is very successful, and the children run it for years.

But weight control is all about volume of calories in vs activity. Outside of a minimal level of protein (to get Essential Amino Acids) and a certain level of fats (to get Essential Fatty Acids) the rest of the macros are pretty meaningless other than for comfort.

For men, getting enough saturated fat is critical, and cholesterol itself isn't a problem (as it gets broken down before hitting bloodstream, so doesn't contribute to serum cholesterol). If you look around at men who have done really low fat diets, their serum cholesterol goes down (120 and lower) but at the same time their testosterone levels go down.... so a high HEALTHY saturated fat level is important. The trick with that is that organic butter or butter ghee and coconut oil are basically the only two healthy saturated fat sources, and the butter is a little iffy

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Good post, Easy! I'm a huge follower of the Atkins lifestyle! I can bulk or cut. It's great. But I noticed the word "Diabetes" in the title. If you're friend is afflicted with that, no-carb is not right for him. Rather than ketosis, he'll get keto-acidosis which is deadly for diabetics. But yes, if you do start to eat carbs indiscriminately, the fat will return...quickly!

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
wrong, wrong and right :)

The brain does not need any carbohydrates to maintain brain function, the initial ketogenic diets and what is still their primary use in the medical field came from attempts to control epilepsy in children, where it is very successful, and the children run it for years.
The ultimate result of zero blood glucose concentration is death.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The ultimate result of zero blood glucose concentration is death.
true, but the body is able to create glucose from other substrates than oral intake of carbohydrates

Gluconeogenesis (abreviated GNG) is a metabolic pathway that results in the generation of glucose from non-carbohydrate carbon substrates such as lactate, glycerol, and glucogenic amino acids.
The vast majority of gluconeogenesis takes place in the liver and, to a smaller extent, in the cortex of kidneys. This process occurs during periods of fasting, starvation, or intense exercise and is highly endergonic. Gluconeogenesis is often associated with ketosis. Gluconeogenesis is also a target of therapy for type II diabetes, such as metformin, which inhibit glucose formation and stimulate glucose uptake by cells

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
as long as you are a controlled diabetic keto acidosis should not occur. if your an uncontrolled diabetic then your blood will acidify.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
as long as you are a controlled diabetic keto acidosis should not occur. if your an uncontrolled diabetic then your blood will acidify.
Good info! You learn something new everyday, especially on AM!

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
true, but the body is able to create glucose from other substrates than oral intake of carbohydrates
Hmm... I guess these aren't the droids I'm looking for... :thinking:

footster

footster

Awards
sorry it took me so long to respond. But anyway thanks for all the info. I just want him to be safe and hes so in love with this doctor and everything he says he believes right away. However alot of the words you guys are using I have no idea what they mean lol. I just always thought Atkins was awful, bc you gain all the weight back, and u just always feel drained.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Substitue the shitty satuelrated fat for mono uinsaturated fats. Use avacado oil mac nut oil and evoo

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The shitty feeling is from the switching of glucose to ketones for energy and once that happens you shouldn't feel that way. You gain the weight back when you stop because carbs hold water if u wanna come off it add the carbs in slow and don't go too far over maintence if at all.

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Keto diets have been shown to be some of the most effective, though it really is all about total calories consumed. People sometimes come off atkins and start eating how they used too and wonder why the weight came back.... Must be the Atkins!

Also Jonny Bowden is probably my favorite nutrition expert and his blog this week talked about a study on diabetics using low carb diets and they outperformed the normal diabetic diet in many ways. Def an interesting read. I always thought it was odd that the Diabetes association recommended normal 50/60% carb intake for diabetics.... Basically not changing a thing from normal food pyramid crap just saying... Oh eat more fiber

bigdognhb

Awards
The diet for diabetics is somewhat dependent on if they are type one or type two. If you suffer from Hypoglycemia your going to need your carbs. Like wise Hyperglycemia people should be focusing more on low carb diets. Im trying to get my girlfriend on a low carb diet. She was just diagnoised with basically reverse diabeties. When she takes in carbs or sugar her body dumps a **** load of insulin and drops her blood sugar into the 20s. It only took them 2 years to figure it out too

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Check my link to that blog and the test was used on both I and II but yes there are differences in the disease that should make the diet different. By reverse diabetes iyou mean Hypoglycemia right? My aunt had the same thing. Low carb would be the way to go there.

bigdognhb

Awards
No its not general hypoglycemia. Theres actually a technical name for it. opposed to just having times when her blood sugar will drop for no reason. When she eats carbs her body dumps a s@#t load of insulin into her system causing her sugar to bottom out. I try to get her to listen but she's 22 and pigheaded. I suppose I was the same way at that age