Serra Injured, Off UFC 79 Card

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Serra Injured, Withdraws From UFC 79 Card

UFC President Dana White announced Thursday

that Matt Serra will have to withdraw from the UFC 79 card due to an injury he suffered after his training earlier this week.

The current UFC welterweight champion, who was scheduled to fight Matt Hughes at UFC 79, suffered a herniated disc in his lower back on Monday following a routine training session in his Long Island gym.
“This is devastating news because they were so looking forward to fighting each other, said White.

“Unfortunately injuries happen and I look forward to Serra recovering quickly, and to getting him back into the Octagon.”

Serra had just finished a Jiu-Jitsu and wrestling training session and was demonstrating a move when he became gripped with pain and fell to the floor. Serra went to the hospital and underwent an MRI, which revealed the herniated discs in his lower back.

“This is the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do,” said Serra. “I’ve never had a back injury before; I could hardly get off of the MRI table. There is no way I can train through this, and I’m devastated, especially because this was such an important fight. I was looking forward to fighting Matt Hughes. All my training was going phenomenally until Monday – All I can do now is to get better and to fight again as soon as possible.”
This sucks, I was really hoping to see Hughes shut Serra's big cocky mouth up.

So who will be the replacement? Anyone think an interim belt fight will be set up?

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I dont think you can have an interim from an injury. If so, make it GSP v. Hughes 3 so Hughes will finally STFU

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
This is such garbage. They made us wait so long for Serra to defend his title, and now this happens.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is a good time for GSP/Hughes III. They need a 2nd marquee match for this card and this fight lines up perfectly. There is still 5 weeks until the fight, which is a decent amount of time to prepare.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
That blows. They should come up with something to replace it. Disc injuries aren't fun, though.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lord I ****ing hate Matt Serra. This unfortunately delays the beating GSP will eventually lay upon him.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree, make GSP-Hughes III winner gets Serra, now is the time to book it

Lightning

Awards
This is a good time for GSP/Hughes III. They need a 2nd marquee match for this card and this fight lines up perfectly. There is still 5 weeks until the fight, which is a decent amount of time to prepare.

I agree 100%. I have a feeling that we're going to wait a long time for Serra/Hughes.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree 100%. I have a feeling that we're going to wait a long time for Serra/Hughes.
Probably around June or so. A back injury is not something to be taken lightly and I hope he comes back completely healthy.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
especially herniated discs like that. I hope this does not effect his ability to fight down the line

vika808

vika808

Awards
  • Established
nah they should give some else a go at hughes like fricken karo or something mix it up alittle.
im just getting sick of huges and GSP there just getting old

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
nah they should give some else a go at hughes like fricken karo or something mix it up alittle.
im just getting sick of huges and GSP there just getting old
The only match-up that makes as much since as GSP/Hughes is Fitch/Hughes. Karo/Hughes would not be a fun fight to watch. I think they are both really good fighters, but neither has good enough stand-up to make it really interesting.

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
This sucks!! I was hoping for Hughes to wear the belt before losing it to GSP! Either way I don't see Serra wearing it much longer.

vika808

vika808

Awards
  • Established
The only match-up that makes as much since as GSP/Hughes is Fitch/Hughes. Karo/Hughes would not be a fun fight to watch. I think they are both really good fighters, but neither has good enough stand-up to make it really interesting.
well hughes donest have any standup to begin with anyways, and niether does serra it will be an all jiu-jitsu match there any ways , i hate watching rematches its just not hte same i mean twice is enough but when you to like 3 4 times and just gets boring.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
well hughes donest have any standup to begin with anyways, and niether does serra it will be an all jiu-jitsu match there any ways , i hate watching rematches its just not hte same i mean twice is enough but when you to like 3 4 times and just gets boring.
So you would rather watch a wrestler against a judoka??

Hughes/GSP III is going to happen it is just a matter of when. It will be a rubber match and it needs to happen very soon, especially since Hughes has maybe 3 fights left in him. I dislike Matt Hughes, but he needs to settle the series with both GSP and Penn.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
According to mmanews.com the replacement will be either Fitch or Alves. I would like to see Fitch beat Hughes, then GSP would most likely beat Fitch, by that time Serra should be ready to fight. Then we have Serra/GSP II, where Serra will get mauled IMO.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
According to mmanews.com the replacement will be either Fitch or Alves. I would like to see Fitch beat Hughes, then GSP would most likely beat Fitch, by that time Serra should be ready to fight. Then we have Serra/GSP II, where Serra will get mauled IMO.
Fitch is a good replacement and an intriguing match-up for Hughes since Fitch's wrestling is great and I doubt that Hughes will be able to overpower him as well. Plus, this will really solidify Fitch's chance at a WW title shot.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Fitch is a good replacement and an intriguing match-up for Hughes since Fitch's wrestling is great and I doubt that Hughes will be able to overpower him as well. Plus, this will really solidify Fitch's chance at a WW title shot.
I agree. I would probably rather see Fitch/Hughes than Serra/Hughes, so I can't say I'm too bummed. I actually like Serra, and hope he has a nice full recovery.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, I despise, truly despise Matt Serra, with a burning intensity not much unlike the burning intensity Jas experience when he urinates. However, I wish him a full recovery that he might be destroyed by GSP in malicious retribution at a later date.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree. I would probably rather see Fitch/Hughes than Serra/Hughes, so I can't say I'm too bummed. I actually like Serra, and hope he has a nice full recovery.
I like Serra as well and I hope that his recovery is swift. So many people discredit the guy, but he is a great fighter and deserves what he has earned in MMA.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do not discredit him. He has payed his dues to a greater degree than many of the other top fighters. However, to I feel he is a top-teir WW? No. I do not think it is discrediting to say GSP will dominate their next match-up. Even with the loss to Serra, I would say that as it pertains to GSP and most WW.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Well, I despise, truly despise Matt Serra, with a burning intensity not much unlike the burning intensity Jas experience when he urinates. However, I wish him a full recovery that he might be destroyed by GSP in malicious retribution at a later date.
Do you despise him because he beat GSP or is it his personality? He can be annoying at times, but I think he is pretty logical and speaks his mind which is a nice combo IMO. I think he's a pretty good hearted funny dude, but he has come off a little obnoxious on this season of TUF.
***pops collar***

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you despise him because he beat GSP or is it his personality? He can be annoying at times, but I think he is pretty logical and speaks his mind which is a nice combo IMO. I think he's a pretty good hearted funny dude, but he has come off a little obnoxious on this season of TUF.
***pops collar***
1/2 nationalistic bias, 1/2 his personality. As a personality, I absolutely cannot stand Matt Serra. Though I will admit this has been exacerbated to a great degree by both his win over GSP and the TUF.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
1/2 nationalistic bias, 1/2 his personality. As a personality, I absolutely cannot stand Matt Serra. Though I will admit this has been exacerbated to a great degree by both his win over GSP and the TUF.
Hater:type: Serra is one of the nastier slampoets on the east coast, although I have seen him with a popped collar. I can see how someone could find Serra to be obnoxious. At least he aint some kermit the frog looking tardo. JK, I like GSP in every way possible:blink: , well, you know what I mean.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hater:type: Serra is one of the nastier slampoets on the east coast, although I have seen him with a popped collar. I can see how someone could find Serra to be obnoxious. At least he aint some kermit the frog looking tardo. JK, I like GSP in every way possible:blink: , well, you know what I mean.
LOL.

If I didn't bed all your girlfriends with it, I'd be sad you make fun of slampoetry! :rant:

Now stop de-railing this thread. Bastard.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I see Fitch controlling Hughes. Hughes is much better at finishing/punishing from the top, but I don't think he'll gain that position against Fitch. As you said, GSP is the king in waiting. Serra is good, but he'll get overpowered by any of the 3 fighters mentioned. I'd like to see how Shields would do in the UFC. The only guy I see beating him is kermit the backwards talking canadian frog.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
LOL.

If I didn't bed all your girlfriends with it, I'd be sad you make fun of slampoetry! :rant:

Now stop de-railing this thread. Bastard.
Only Jas' down syndrome girlfriend would fall for that slampoetry game. I'm sure you would be content with that though

vika808

vika808

Awards
  • Established
i see it as who ever fights hughes next and just tottaly beats him down, the dude will retire, he says hes got 3fights left in him from that one episode on TUF, but i see it as if he doesnt get offered a tittle shot whats the use of sticking around espically of someone like fitch comes in and just give it to him, i mean come on

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Fitch isn't taking the fight, he'll be out of the country at the time? So it looks like it'll be Alves or nothing. I wouldn't mind seeing Alves/Hughes, Thiago is no slouch.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fitch isn't taking the fight, he'll be out of the country at the time? So it looks like it'll be Alves or nothing. I wouldn't mind seeing Alves/Hughes, Thiago is no slouch.
I don't think Thiago is ready to step up to that level yet. That being said, it is better him than no replacement.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
:frustrate I was really hoping for Fitch-Hughes, which I would give to Hughes. I think Thiago gets pounded by Hughes on the ground, but Matt better get it there quick or he'll eat some nasty leg kicks.

I don't like Serra too much, but he occasionally makes me laugh. He's looked like a ***** on this season of TUF with all excessive hate on hughes that really hasn't been that funny.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I agree with both of you. I don't think Thiago has a very good chance of beating Hughes, but I think he'll make it somewhat entertaining.

Yeah Jas, Serra has come off as kind of a b!tch on this season of TUF. On his fighting season of TUF he came off much better. You don't think Fitch would stand much of a chance against Hughes? How about you Rodja?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, I agree with both of you. I don't think Thiago has a very good chance of beating Hughes, but I think he'll make it somewhat entertaining.

Yeah Jas, Serra has come off as kind of a b!tch on this season of TUF. On his fighting season of TUF he came off much better. You don't think Fitch would stand much of a chance against Hughes? How about you Rodja?
Fitch would be the dog, but he has a chance against Hughes. There will not be much of a size/strength advantage for either and it may come down to conditioning.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I need to just shut up until things are finalized from now on. WOW. Serra getting injured was a blessing in disguise for the fans IMO. Something in me wants to see Hughes beat GSP, but logic tells me otherwise. It should be a war either way, can't wait.
I want GSP to beat down Hughes (again), get his revenge on Serra, and then have a rematch with BJ.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I want GSP to beat down Hughes (again), get his revenge on Serra, and then have a rematch with BJ.
That sounds good to me. Who do you want/think will win GSP/Penn 2? Don't get me wrong either, I like GSP better than Hughes, but for some reason I want to see Hughes beat GSP:fool2: :hammer:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That sounds good to me. Who do you want/think will win GSP/Penn 2? Don't get me wrong either, I like GSP better than Hughes, but for some reason I want to see Hughes beat GSP:fool2: :hammer:
Penn w/ cardio> any LW or WW

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yup, possibly add MW to that list.
Did we forget that Robbie Lawler is a MW? I've decided Lawler is my replacement heavy handed MW since Murray was framed. :lol:

I wouldn't have definitely given the Fitch fight to Hughes just would favor him, Alex.

If Hughes can get this fight to the ground, I think he's better than GSP there or at least bjj wise. I'm hoping Hughes can sub him again. GSP's mental weakness and slight resemblance to Jeanne Claude Van Damme keep me from liking him too much (maybe irrationally). Hughes' toughness and comebacks will probably always make me a fan.

Edit: New avy to support the "Country Boy".

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Did we forget that Robbie Lawler is a MW? I've decided Lawler is my replacement heavy handed MW since Murray was framed. :lol:

I wouldn't have definitely given the Fitch fight to Hughes just would favor him, Alex.

If Hughes can get this fight to the ground, I think he's better than GSP there or at least bjj wise. I'm hoping Hughes can sub him again. GSP's mental weakness and slight resemblance to Jeanne Claude Van Damme keep me from liking him too much (maybe irrationally). Hughes' toughness and comebacks will probably always make me a fan.

Edit: New avy to support the "Country Boy".
Lawler is a fun guy to sweat. Doesn't have the sh*t talking skills of Lightning Lee, but is a ruthless brawler.

I knew you were about to do some type of Hughes nuthuggery. I like Hughes a lot as a fighter, as you said his comebacks and toughness are tough not to admire, but unfortunately I think the guy is a prick in real life.

RisingAgainst

RisingAgainst

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hughes resembles some of my friends out here (I live in a small hick town in NV) and GSP resembles some puss ass PUNK that if I had the capability, I would LOVE to beat down. Since I lack that, I will watch Hughes beat him down for me :clap2:

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Matt Hughes resembles an inbred haybailer. GSP is one of the most conditioned cats in MMA.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Hughes resembles some of my friends out here (I live in a small hick town in NV) and GSP resembles some puss ass PUNK that if I had the capability, I would LOVE to beat down. Since I lack that, I will watch Hughes beat him down for me :clap2:
What did GSP do to make you think he's a punk? I've been following GSP since the UCC/TKO days and he seems like a really good guy.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
What did GSP do to make you think he's a punk? I've been following GSP since the UCC/TKO days and he seems like a really good guy.
I'm guessing that it's from his excuses for Serra. A lot of people seemed to have lost a little respect for him.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm guessing that it's from his excuses for Serra. A lot of people seemed to have lost a little respect for him.
I am a huge fan of GSP despite that loss. I didn't order that PPV because I wasn't interested in the fights and I thought GSP would beat down Serra. I was really wrong about that event...

Still, Hughes victory over GSP was by a blue-belt armbar and I really doubt that Hughes will be able to pull something that basic off again.

RisingAgainst

RisingAgainst

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't like the way GSP carries himself, he seems snide and in all honesty, he's the kind of guy that I'd pick a fight with for no reason. Just that lizard ass look on his face, ... ugh, I'd love to deform it further. LOL His attitude, his accent.. the works.. I hate the guy.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't like the way GSP carries himself, he seems snide and in all honesty, he's the kind of guy that I'd pick a fight with for no reason. Just that lizard ass look on his face, ... ugh, I'd love to deform it further. LOL His attitude, his accent.. the works.. I hate the guy.
GSP is just a plain old douche bag. There is no other way to explain him other than being a huge douche.

GSP nuthuggery absolutely makes me sick as well. He is a tough person to hate but equally tough to cheer for esp. against Hughes.

My prediction is that GSP will come down with a bad case of sandinthevaginosis and have to pull out of the fight like he usually does.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
GSP is just a plain old douche bag. There is no other way to explain him other than being a huge douche.

GSP nuthuggery absolutely makes me sick as well. He is a tough person to hate but equally tough to cheer for esp. against Hughes.

My prediction is that GSP will come down with a bad case of sandinthevaginosis and have to pull out of the fight like he usually does.
You think Hughes is a good guy, and that GSP and Serra are cocky douchebags? If that's the case, you really have it twisted.