Serra Injured, Off UFC 79 Card

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think Hughes may have to rely on his greater (assuming) sub skills in this fight. GSP is a superior wrestler to Hughes, I do not think that is in question, despite Hughes' pedigree. However, maybe that armbar still lingers in GSP's head. Though his manhandling of Hughes in II speaks to the opposite.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think Hughes may have to rely on his greater (assuming) sub skills in this fight. GSP is a superior wrestler to Hughes, I do not think that is in question, despite Hughes' pedigree. However, maybe that armbar still lingers in GSP's head. Though his manhandling of Hughes in II speaks to the opposite.
I have thought since the beginning that Hughes will have to get another arm bar to finish the fight.

This will not be another Hughes vs GSP II an anyone that thinks GSP will win that easy again is stupid. Its going to be a good fight and I guarantee Hughes comes in much stronger than last time they fought.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I have thought since the beginning that Hughes will have to get another arm bar to finish the fight.

This will not be another Hughes vs GSP II an anyone that thinks GSP will win that easy again is stupid. Its going to be a good fight and I guarantee Hughes comes in much stronger than last time they fought.
I could see him pounding out a worn down GSP, but I think GSP will finish before he slows. Not saying GSP doesn't have great conditioning, but I think Hughes is a little better, and he's been in plenty of 4+round fights.

edit: Hughes has only been in 3, 4+round bouts(Newton,Sakurai,and Sherk), better than none.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I could see him pounding out a worn down GSP, but I think GSP will finish before he slows. Not saying GSP doesn't have great conditioning, but I think Hughes is a little better, and he's been in plenty of 4+round fights.
Yeah Hughes conditioning is solid as hell. He tried forever to take BJ down with no success (which really tires you) and then sat in an inverted triangle for 30 seconds only to come out fresh in the third round.

I don't think this will look anything like the second fight either. Hughes had to have learned not to trade with GSP and will be trying relentlessly for the takedown. On the ground, if they go there, it will be interesting to see what happens.

So GSP-Hughes >>>>>> Wandy-Chuck. Everyone seems to have lost interest in the latter despite it being the headliner (I think). I guess it's too unpredictable after the recent losses.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

edit: Hughes has only been in 3, 4+round bouts(Newton,Sakurai,and Sherk), better than none.
Those fights were a while back, though. Also, with Newton and Sakurai, Hughes wouldn't be fighting someone roughly his size and Sherk has only a fraction of the stand-up as GSP. Hughes is just not quick enough to keep up with GSP.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Yeah Hughes conditioning is solid as hell. He tried forever to take BJ down with no success (which really tires you) and then sat in an inverted triangle for 30 seconds only to come out fresh in the third round.

I don't think this will look anything like the second fight either. Hughes had to have learned not to trade with GSP and will be trying relentlessly for the takedown. On the ground, if they go there, it will be interesting to see what happens.

So GSP-Hughes >>>>>> Wandy-Chuck. Everyone seems to have lost interest in the latter despite it being the headliner (I think). I guess it's too unpredictable after the recent losses.
They're about 50/50 for me. Of course I wish Wandy/Chuck happened 3 years ago, but I'm still pumped. Can't wait to see Wand back. I've been watching some recent interviews of his and he speaks/understands English pretty well now. Wandy always seemed like a nice guy, but he seems to have matured into a great person, very respectful, honest, and straight forward. I just hope he wins, another loss would be crushing. I think he's hungry and focused and Chuck is in trouble.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Those fights were a while back, though. Also, with Newton and Sakurai, Hughes wouldn't be fighting someone roughly his size and Sherk has only a fraction of the stand-up as GSP. Hughes is just not quick enough to keep up with GSP.
True, but it's still experience. I agree that GSP is two steps quicker than Hughes, and I'm pretty sure he'll win. Hughes just has crazy intestinal fortitude, thus the crazy comebacks. GSP has many advantages over Hughes, but I think Hughes has more heart.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Hughes/GSP is the main event. I haven't seen any lines for this card yet. I am really curious to see who is favored in the big 3 fights on this card.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Sokoudju by brutal KO.

Edit: Wand's blog

"Today we start the countdown for the fight on December 29. Thirty days to it. I am very happy to have this channel to talk to you. This week I am training very intensively. I have already reached a nice weight (97 kg); I look slim and have a low fat percentage. This makes me faster and I know I will need this in the fight. My training is very good because my coaches, besides being competent, are great people. This is very important because we are all leaving in the same home. On Saturday I am visiting an orphanage and take a message of optimism and hope, love and care to the kids, at least for a day. I am taking my son Thor with me for him to get in contact with the reality of life. If you have any questions I am here to answer them, as much as possible. I will be reading and posting everyday. Take care, God bless you and thank you for the support."

He's got son named Thor!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sokoudju by brutal KO.

Edit: Wand's blog

"Today we start the countdown for the fight on December 29. Thirty days to it. I am very happy to have this channel to talk to you. This week I am training very intensively. I have already reached a nice weight (97 kg); I look slim and have a low fat percentage. This makes me faster and I know I will need this in the fight. My training is very good because my coaches, besides being competent, are great people. This is very important because we are all leaving in the same home. On Saturday I am visiting an orphanage and take a message of optimism and hope, love and care to the kids, at least for a day. I am taking my son Thor with me for him to get in contact with the reality of life. If you have any questions I am here to answer them, as much as possible. I will be reading and posting everyday. Take care, God bless you and thank you for the support."

He's got son named Thor!
I have never seen Wand this ripped. He looks better than he did when he fought Schrijber years ago. What is really funny is that there is a recent interview where he talks about the food here and that he really enjoys Taco Bell.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I have never seen Wand this ripped. He looks better than he did when he fought Schrijber years ago. What is really funny is that there is a recent interview where he talks about the food here and that he really enjoys Taco Bell.
Yeah, he looks more like 2002 Wand physique-wise which is good. He'll need the speed as he says.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, he looks more like 2002 Wand physique-wise which is good. He'll need the speed as he says.
His timing was definitely off when he fought CC and when he fought Hendo. What I have wondered is if Wand really cuts weight. He doesn't really look like he does and, if he does, it can't be more than 5-8 lbs.