Best MMA Fighter of all time?

TipTopShape

TipTopShape

Awards
  • Established
I still don't have my own lists but would you consider Randy Couture as number 1? Your thoughts on this.

BigRed86

Awards
Anderson Silva hands down. went up a class and dominated and still dominates in his class. Nobody can give him a run for his money.

Troy1982

Troy1982

Awards
Kazushi Sakuraba and Fedor Emelianenko are the two best ever in my opinion with with honorable mention to Royce Gracie.

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
I would love to see a Fedor vs Anderson fight! That would be epic. randy is great, and hes a legend and all that but hes obviously not the best of all time. Chuck Lidell blew him away twice and now Chuck is getting ktfo'd but thats besides the point. My vote right now would be on Fedor though. Anderson is great right now but besides his KO of Forrest his recent fights were boring and not really that impressive. We will see how this next fight goes. But yeah Fedor definitely, he looks good in every single fight he is in, dominates everyone, and is never in trouble cept for that punch from Fujita which he recovered from and then finished and then that illegal elbow. The only negative for Fedor is he is not fighting the best of the best at this point in his career, although finishing Tim Sylvia, Arlovski, and Rogers is no small feat in itself. He will fight Werdum and win that easy, then hopefully he fights Overeem. Then maybe we will be lucky enough to see him go to the UFC although im not holding my breath for that.

jgassen15

jgassen15

Awards
We'll find out when the UFC starts doing superfights. From Lightweight up to Middleweight the champions have dominated ruthlessly... only two undecided division are LHW and HW as far as the ufc goes.. both have great champions but both can be beat in their weight class methinks. But I'm not saying the UFC is the only organization that has fighters that could be considered the best ever. Obviously Fedor is in contention, even though he hasn't fought the greatest competition as of late, in the glory days of Pride he had as many battles as any. He's so composed it's scary. I also love how all the Brett Roger's camp siad Roger's sweeped Fedor when Fedor was going for that Kimura... what a joke.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Easy answer to this:

"The Last Emperor"
Emelianenko, Fedor

jgassen15

jgassen15

Awards
The Natural is up there, but I wouldn't consider him the best ever, moreso he revolutionized the sport and adapting wrestling to MMA. Plus he took down The Phenom when he was still a powerhouse and looked like he did shrugs 10 hours a day.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Kazushi Sakuraba and Fedor Emelianenko are the two best ever in my opinion with with honorable mention to Royce Gracie.
I'm a huge Saku fan, but I don't think he's the best ever. He's definitely one of the most entertaining ever though!

Best EVER = Fedor.

khakiman

Awards
best ever is a tough one as i haven't seen everyone like that kazushi guy, but I will make a list.

Fedor
Gracie
BJ Penn
Randy Couture
George St. Pierre
Matt Hughes
Anderson Silva
Chuck Liddell
Dan Severn
Ken Shamrock
Dan Henderson
Noguiera
Cro Cop

I think Penn, George and Silva will move up on this list. I can also see Shane Carwin, Jon Bones Jones, and Cain Valesquez getting on this list within a couple years. Maybe Kenflo and Dan Hardy if they can beat some of the current list guys.

Kegger

Awards
Right now I would say Fedor. But best of all time? I would have to say Carlson Gracie and Rickson Gracie. Both fought Vale Tudo in Brazil and each of them racked up between 500-600 fights without losing. While the level of competing today is much higher than it was way back when they were fighting, to be able to win that many fights without a loss is insane.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Right now I would say Fedor. But best of all time? I would have to say Carlson Gracie and Rickson Gracie. Both fought Vale Tudo in Brazil and each of them racked up between 500-600 fights without losing. While the level of competing today is much higher than it was way back when they were fighting, to be able to win that many fights without a loss is insane.
Rickson's claims are highly disputed by not only skeptics, but by Helio Gracie himself.

Kegger

Awards
Also, a fighter that no body ever mentions, who is obviously under rated and should be in a top ten best ever list is......Bas "el Guapo" Rutten.:AR15firing:

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
:nutkick: <---Liver Kick!!!

I was going to suggest him too but I'm not sure what Pancrase is considered (different striking rules). I think I've seen ALL of his fights. He was another very entertaining fighter to watch.

If we're going that route, then Frank Shamrock is not one of the best but he's noteworthy of what he's done for the sport in terms of being one of the first true Mixed Martial Artists. I'm not sure what others will say about that though, lol...:run:

Rutten v F. Shamrock in Pancrase were fun fights (Frank was trying to bait Bas into an illegal strike...and it worked, lol). I think it was one of these fights that took them both to the outside of the ring too!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Also, a fighter that no body ever mentions, who is obviously under rated and should be in a top ten best ever list is......Bas "el Guapo" Rutten.:AR15firing:
For me, it's hard to put him that high because all but 2 of his fights were in Pancrase. That and his "win" vs Randleman is one of the biggest BS decisions I've ever witnessed.

Kegger

Awards
Rickson's claims are highly disputed by not only skeptics, but by Helio Gracie himself.
Well the disputes have never been proven either I guess. And I have a hard time believing that the very father of the "Gracie family champion" would say that his own son is lying.

I don't doubt for a second that Rickson has had a least a few hundred matches. I have however seen newspaper articles and pictures of Carlson in many fights back in the 50's. He had those around his gym when I trained there a while back.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There's hear-say that Rickson counted training and sparring sessions as a part of his winnings...not sure where I heard that from though...probably Joe Rogan, lol :run:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well the disputes have never been proven either I guess. And I have a hard time believing that the very father of the "Gracie family champion" would say that his own son is lying.

I don't doubt for a second that Rickson has had a least a few hundred matches. I have however seen newspaper articles and pictures of Carlson in many fights back in the 50's. He had those around his gym when I trained there a while back.
"Hélio Gracie disputed Rickson's claim to have had over 400 fights. According to Hélio, Rickson has only competed in fights that are commonly known and reported: the two against Rei Zulu and those that took place in Japan. Hélio alleged that Rickson uses practice and amateur bouts to obtain a number over 400, and that if he counted his fights like Rickson does, he would have in excess of one million."

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's funny that you mention that. I think Bas Rutten's career pack DVD only shows parts of his 2 UFC parts...

EDIT: We both posted at the same time. I've never seen that vid, so I still don't know where I heard that from...looks like the info was true though.

Kegger

Awards
So according to Helio, amateur fights and tournaments don't count? Yeah ok.:yawn:

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nor do practice/training/sparring sessions...

Kegger

Awards
Nor do practice/training/sparring sessions...
Of course not! If that was the case then I'm way up there too....LOL

I find it extremely hard to believe that a guy as talented, well-known, and respected as Rickson Gracie would count sparring sessions as actual fights. If that were the case, then like Helio said himself, he would have over a million fights then.

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
Fedor
Gracie
BJ Penn
Randy Couture
George St. Pierre
Matt Hughes
Anderson Silva
Chuck Liddell
Dan Severn
Ken Shamrock
Dan Henderson
Noguiera
Cro Cop

I think Penn, George and Silva will move up on this list. I can also see Shane Carwin, Jon Bones Jones, and Cain Valesquez getting on this list within a couple years. QUOTE]

i like your list, but i don't think Penn should be ahead of GSP, if they are in order. no way. Carwin and velazquez are going to become some of the best fighters within the next couple of years and the heavyweight division is going to explode. Bones Jones has a ton of talent also. im also glad nobody has mentioned Machida..thank god. everybody including him knows he lost to Shogun. Shogun won 4 of 5 rounds easily. Machida is very overrated and i dont think he could beat Rashad Evans again if they fought.

mh625

Awards
somewhere on this list needs to be Hendo and the Axe Murderer

SamBoz19

SamBoz19

Awards
  • Established
Bruce Lee would have F*cked them all up. That is all...LMAO. :toofunny:

Ok to be serious...Anderson Silva is my personal favorite. However, I wouldn't call him the best ever. I think it is too hard to pick the best ever in all honesty. There have been few great fighters and a lot of good ones.

Cheers!:cheers:

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I dont know if I could choose a best ever. I can make an argument against any of the choices. I think when this generation of fighters is gone, i think it will be Anderson, especially if he succeeds at HW

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
"Hélio Gracie disputed Rickson's claim to have had over 400 fights. According to Hélio, Rickson has only competed in fights that are commonly known and reported: the two against Rei Zulu and those that took place in Japan. Hélio alleged that Rickson uses practice and amateur bouts to obtain a number over 400, and that if he counted his fights like Rickson does, he would have in excess of one million."

Don't question Tha Rodja when it comes to MMA facts. He hardly offers "opinions," it's usually objective facts.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Fedya.....Nobody is even close at this point.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Pft. No Tuffers allowed around here Alexander!
Everybody knows Frank Trigg is the best ever. I heard he once RNC four guys in one tournament...at the same time!

;)
April Fools.

Impact25

Awards
I'd say Anderson Silva.....but I do love Brock Lesnar

triton185

triton185

Awards
  • Established
Silva will end up being the undisputed best of all time....nobody can even touch him right now. BUT he needs to quit f*cking around in the ring and just destroy people like he can.....BJ is good but has been too inconsistent throughout his career.

ryanp81

ryanp81

Awards
  • Established
There's many that come to mind.

Hoyce
Fedor
Vitor
Mark Kerr....the "Smashing Machine"
Mark Coleman
Don Frye because IMO the least technical fighter of all time but was a Man who could give a beating and take a beating.
Bas
Frank Shamrock
Takanori Gomi
Sakuraba
Masakatsu Funaki

The Spider is a maybe but to early to tell and forget Brock. I do like Lyoto Machida and Chael Sonnen and they have alot of potential to be greats.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Hoyce
Fedor
Vitor
Mark Coleman
Don Frye because IMO the least technical fighter of all time but was a Man who could give a beating and take a beating.
Bas
Frank Shamrock
Takanori Gomi
Sakuraba
Masakatsu Funaki

The Spider is a maybe but to early to tell and forget Brock. I do like Lyoto Machida and Chael Sonnen and they have alot of potential to be greats.
I agree only with Fedor on your list. I think you listed a lot of potential, best in "their" time fighters, but 90% of those guys shouldn't be noted as best of all time. Especially considering how bad Gomi was recently raped by Florian, who isn't even the best in his division. I don't really want to make a refute to each fighter on that list. Though I do agree some of those guys were the best of their time, but certainly not all time.

triton185

triton185

Awards
  • Established
Anybody watch that movie about Mark Kerr called The Smashing Machine......good and interesting.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
According to netflix, I liked it a lot (watched back in 06). I don't remember it, but I know the general storyline. Sad, really...

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Anderson the greatest of all time? By beating Franklin, Hendo and Nate Marquardt? We'll see, not even close at this point. Needs to finish guys like Leites, Maia and Cote*. Also a few bad losses earlier in his career don't help.

rambo679

rambo679

Awards
  • Established
Joe Son
Keith Hackney
Emmanuel Yarbrough

Or more correctly Fedor. Randy Couture is up there in my opinion though, especially considering he broke into the sport at the age of 35.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Joe Son
Keith Hackney
Emmanuel Yarbrough

Or more correctly Fedor. Randy Couture is up there in my opinion though, especially considering he broke into the sport at the age of 35.
how could you forget Teila Tuli??? ummm hello the first teeth to be spilled onto the octagon floor??

booya123

Awards
keith hackney(the giant killer) he was exciting to watch. especially the fight where he broke his hand punching the back of the big sumo guys neck. Then after the fight says those shots woulda killed a normal person.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established

Hoyce
Fedor
Vitor
Mark Coleman
Bas
Frank Shamrock
Takanori Gomi
Sakuraba
Masakatsu Funaki

one of the worsts lists ive seen.

Fedor takes it easy. I am not much of a gracie fan. A lot of guys they fought, the sport was so new these guys look like they drank the night before. Still amazing what they did.

rambo679

rambo679

Awards
  • Established
Also the first tooth embedded in another fighter's foot, which had to remain to keep it from bleeding and led to a subsequent infection for the ear-biting Gerard Gordeau.

The more you know.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Fedor...hands down. Prove me wrong.

Silva has a looong ways to go. Not a ton of top-level wins, and some bad losses.

I'd love to see Lesnar fight someone in their prime. Fedor would rape him.

Now I love Sakuraba...but comon! He beat up a few Gracies, and he's a god? IMO: the Silva fights derailed his career.