Shogun Rua was robbed.

EVILADAMS

EVILADAMS

Awards
  • Established
Inexcusable Dana. You now have a false champion in Machida. That was the worst decision I have seen in MMA. Unbelievable.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Inexcusable Dana. You now have a false champion in Machida. That was the worst decision I have seen in MMA. Unbelievable.
Nice spoiler title..

There have been worse decisions..

M15

M15

Awards
Nice spoiler title..

The only worse decision that comes to mind is Alan Belcher or Yoshihiro Akiyama at UFC 100. but I agree this was a horrible call by the judges and I too am upset.

sp33dkillz

sp33dkillz

Awards
I think he was robbed as well, but for all 3 judges to score the fight the same way that leads me to believe there's something about the scoring system that I don't understand.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
I hate this. finish a fight you have 25 minutes and are the main event. I didnt get to see the whole fight jsut first 2 rounds cuz the feed got dropped but i see everywhere it sucked.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The only worse decision that comes to mind is Alan Belcher or Yoshihiro Akiyama at UFC 100. but I agree this was a horrible call by the judges and I too am upset.
I thought Hamil vs Bisping was bull****, as was Page vs Forrest.. but it is objective...

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
oh yeah bisping vs hamil was so gay that bisping dropped to middle weight lol. yeah leg kicks is the only think that scored with page vs forrest. i really hate that gay ass fight.

Vance

Vance

Awards
  • Established
I was absolutely SPEWING at the decision.

Absolutely the worst decision in UFC history. You can't compare Bisping vs. Hamill, Bisping vs. Evans or Belcher vs. Akiyama to this fight, they were 3 round fights. This was for the championship. I don't personally think the Griffin vs. Rampage fight was an especially bad decision - Rampage got crippled in that fight.

I had Shogun winning at least 4 rounds - and to score the remaining round for Machida was iffy to say to the least.

I know it's the AC who provides the judges etc, but someone made a lot of money on Machida winning tonight as it's the most obviously bent (As opposed to bad) decision I've seen in the UFC. No panel of judges who were on planet Earth could've scored that fight unanimously for Lyoto.

Complete and utter horse-****.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
I agree Shogun looked. Like he won. But I keep asking myself why? I don't buy the conspiracy theories. Only thing I can come up with is that leg kick are not that convincing to judges and champions are favoured.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As an aside, Cain is damn good. I know Nog gets the Brock/Carwin winner, but I can't wait to see Cain get a shot soon.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
As an aside, Cain is damn good. I know Nog gets the Brock/Carwin winner, but I can't wait to see Cain get a shot soon.
Yes, he keeps a incredible pace but he does not seem to have the ability to convincingly finish against Kongo and Rothwell other than swarming and smothering! With Kongo/Rothwell, he dominated by taking them down. Kongo has no grond game but got up repeatedly. Rothwell looked like he was getting punched by his little sister and could eat those for another round or two. Cain does have grat work ethic but I thing he'll quickly be destroyed by someone who will stuff his takedowns or take him down and one who has good striking at the same time.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes, he keeps a incredible pace but he does not seem to have the ability to convincingly finish against Kongo and Rothwell other than swarming and smothering! With Kongo/Rothwell, he dominated by taking them down. Kongo has no grond game but got up repeatedly. Rothwell looked like he was getting punched by his little sister and could eat those for another round or two. Cain does have grat work ethic but I thing he'll quickly be destroyed by someone who will stuff his takedowns or take him down and one who has good striking at the same time.
I disagree. I think that Rothwell looked battered, beaten and as if his will was being sapped - and this is only after the first round. While the specific point at which the fight was stopped could be labeled "premature," it was more of a cumulative recognition that Rothwell was being handled.

EVILADAMS

EVILADAMS

Awards
  • Established
Nice spoiler title..

Apologies. I just figured people would have seen it while it was happening or hacked it immediately. My mistake.

What's Dana got to do with it?
Well, when the judges blow a fight it reflects poorly on the UFC = Dana White. That is what Dana has to do with it.

One of my friends watching the fights said that this was as bad has Bisping Hamel, which was a fight I did not see. I also disagreed with Rampage losing on a decision to Griffin.

But this was just inexcusable.

Vance

Vance

Awards
  • Established
I disagree. I think that Rothwell looked battered, beaten and as if his will was being sapped - and this is only after the first round. While the specific point at which the fight was stopped could be labeled "premature," it was more of a cumulative recognition that Rothwell was being handled.
I think Rothwell had no heart left at the end of round one. He looked like a guy just trying to survive rather than a guy fighting to win.

I think the stoppage on it's own was premature, but on the balance of the rest of the fight the ref did him a favour.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Machida knows he lost. Whenever he was asked if he thought he had won the fight his only response was "There were three judges, they all scored it for me" .

I don't see how Shogun could lose. In terms of effective striking Shogun should have had lyoto by a long shot, he even attempted and landed a flying knee strike to the body. Just about every kick Lyoto let out was countered immediately.

mp5man1

mp5man1

Awards
I’m a Machida fan and as soon as it ended I figured he lost it. As much as I wanted him to win I felt like he got beat. Can’t really blame him for the bad call and if they fight again I hope he does better but Shogun won this in my opinion.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
I cant believe cains punches cant hurt people more than tthey do. when he had him against the fench most could have gotten KO'ed right there. rothwell can take a beating but he was done. he would have gotten taken down again and beat. it was fine with me im glad he won cain is freakin sick but i wish he would reach back for some more power.

too bad it wasnt a 7 round fight.....

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Well, when the judges blow a fight it reflects poorly on the UFC = Dana White. That is what Dana has to do with it.
Dana doesn't control the AC and it doesn't reflect poorly on the UFC, it reflects poorly on the AC.

While the specific point at which the fight was stopped could be labeled "premature," it was more of a cumulative recognition that Rothwell was being handled.
Like a rag doll being handled by a bulldog!

Bmac1775

Bmac1775

Awards
Huge Machida fan too but we all know he got beat(except for the judges). Not his fault but Shogun does deserve another shot.

Hats off to Shogun too....he brought the pain!

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
gotta disagree on that one. I just watched it again and there's a major punch knocking alan backwards as well as a take down somewhere near the end. I was like oh interesting but not shocked.
This fight however I was like RRRRRRRUUUUUSERIOUSSSSS? Machida looked like he was too afraid to commit since his legs were hamburger and even though it was close I can't see it in machida's favor. I see it split but in favor of Shogun. just my opinion.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
I cant believe cains punches cant hurt people more than tthey do. when he had him against the fench most could have gotten KO'ed right there. rothwell can take a beating but he was done. he would have gotten taken down again and beat. it was fine with me im glad he won cain is freakin sick but i wish he would reach back for some more power.

too bad it wasnt a 7 round fight.....
On the bright side Brock doesn't seem to KO anyone either, and might make for a good fight if that's what it comes down to. Cain could gain a bit more weight and still not wind up a fatty.

EVILADAMS

EVILADAMS

Awards
  • Established
Dana doesn't control the AC and it doesn't reflect poorly on the UFC, it reflects poorly on the AC.
I disagree. Thats your opinion, mine is it reflects poorly on the UFC/Dana.

End of story.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
On the bright side Brock doesn't seem to KO anyone either, and might make for a good fight if that's what it comes down to. Cain could gain a bit more weight and still not wind up a fatty.
Where u been jessep? Did u see Mir's face? Knocked Coture senseless. Broke Heath Herrings orbital bone with one punch! No comparison!

dave12

Awards
  • Established
Hi. I was thinking that whatever I'm missing was whatever they talk about judging in japan... that in a championship fight the champ gets the round unless he really loses it with the expectation being that the challenger will try and kill the ****in guy so as to not let the judges get a say. Seems like a good idea but I thought the american system took none of that into account. Anyways, you guys think Dana is overdoing it when he says Mazzagotti has no business ref'ing MMA fights?

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
Brock masshed Mir, dropped Coture, broke Herring's orbital.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think he was robbed as well, but for all 3 judges to score the fight the same way that leads me to believe there's something about the scoring system that I don't understand.
LOL. I was left scratching my head too. I can't say that I'm surprised though. I'm pretty sure Dana went over to Shogun and told him that he won the fight while Lyoto was about to give the in ring post fight interview.

...and neggs for the spoiler in the title :)

sp447

sp447

Awards
  • Established
I can't describe how pissed I am about this.

Shogun was given literally no chance by nearly everyone except for a very loyal few who still have faith in him.

He pours his heart and soul into an 6-7 month grueling training camp, away from his pregnant wife. Comes into the fight with the perfect gameplan, and gets robbed by the judges.

And if that wasn't low enough Machida and his asshat Manager Ed Soares couldn't even give Shogun his due credit when Machida knew damn well that he lost to Shogun.

I can't ****ing believe this at all.

Dana is calling for an immediate rematch, but that won't correct how ****ed up this was.

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
That was a perfect example of why it is important to finish the fight. Don't ever let it go to decision.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Hi. I was thinking that whatever I'm missing was whatever they talk about judging in japan... that in a championship fight the champ gets the round unless he really loses it with the expectation being that the challenger will try and kill the ****in guy so as to not let the judges get a say. Seems like a good idea but I thought the american system took none of that into account. Anyways, you guys think Dana is overdoing it when he says Mazzagotti has no business ref'ing MMA fights?
I think all reffs make some mistakes. There were fights when people did things against the rules and the refs didn't stop it. For instance Anderson had a fight where he had his fingers wrapped in the gloves of his opponents, I believe it was 3 fights ago, and the ref didn't stop it. The Guida vs Nightmare fight Guida was getting hit by straight up and down elbows and i'm pretty sure thats against the rules.

I think Dana dislikes him for essentially messing with his bread and butter. The stop on Cain/Rothwell and standing up and deducting a point from brock without a warning in the first lesnar/mir bout and not jumping to top the tap out when it happens, like other refs do. I think there were a few other fights where he is hesistant to jump in there when it needs to end.

As a part of any fight company, you don't want a guy that stops and deducts fights too quickly as well as ends fights when there are more strikes given than are necessary.

YouTube - Rashad Evans beats Forrest Griffin

This is a prime example, in the Rashad Evans vs Forrest Griffin Bout. He gets off about 11 punches. 6 or so too many.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Where u been jessep? Did u see Mir's face? Knocked Coture senseless. Broke Heath Herrings orbital bone with one punch! No comparison!
And I'm sure Ben R has got aches and pains just like Mir and Herring and I'm sure they needed help off the mat. I'm talking more about the one punch power that made Gonzaga think he was in line at burger king from Carwin. My point is it takes a series of shots from Brock mostly coming from him pinning you first and then doing as we wishes while laying on you. I do remember the herring highlight reel punch but (and it has been a while since I"ve watched the whole fight) I'm thinking that what Cain took from Kongo will be about as hard as he'll get with brock as long as he [cain] stays off his back. I'm not debating his power just maybe the aim and lack of one punch KO.

Vance

Vance

Awards
  • Established
Not to mention the whole, "That's why you should finish ever fight" mentality is ****ing bull****.

Judges should score bouts appropriately. Yes there are razor thin decisions that can go either way and most fighters understand and accept it if they lose. In an instance though where you have one fighter clearly dominating the action over the course of a 5 round fight who loses a unanimious decision... Well, that's bull**** too.

Yes finished fights are better than decisions, but considering that typically a third or more of fights on any UFC card go to decisions, they need to sort out how this is being executed.

EVILADAMS

EVILADAMS

Awards
  • Established
Machida got beat on unlike any other fight he has been in. Plus landed less significant shots than he ever has. This was just a horrible. horrible decision.

When the "Champ" lands less and takes more, how the hell does he win unanimously? I thought Shogun looked sharp and was clearly the better fighter.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
machida's style wont always finish fights. but shoguns should and shouldnt have left it. he was fighting like machida does and countering. shogun was really smart tho playing him game and not charging. because of this just made it not that exciting and bad call. i had a STRONG feeling it was going to be a UD. I think they will come out harder round 2. this stuff will happen tho forever.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
This was pathetic... Wow...

I was so happy to see the Shogun of old days but all the happiness just went away with the refs blowing yet another fight... Shameful.

Rematch should be fun though... Can't see Shogun not coming 110%

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just watched the fight, so I have fresh outrage at the whole Lyoto winning by getting leg kicked, or is it Shogun lost via administering superior amount of damage. Take away lesson for Shogun, take more leg kicks and deliver less during their next bout to polish that scorecard.

Shenanigans!

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
Don't flame me for this, as I too felt Shogun won, at first. There is a good thread on Sherdog where a Shogun supporter watched the fight in slow motion, sound off, making notes of all the strikes, which ones connected and which missed. He came to the same conclusion the judges did....1st 3 rounds Machida, last 2 Shogun. I know its easy to put down the judges and assume they are wrong but I do not buy the conspiracy theories....I think they are desperate attempts to justify ones position. These men are professionals and surely know a lot more than the masses. They are trained what to look for. No they are not perfect but a lot more perfect than the audience. In the Fedor/Arlovski fight many felt Arlovski was controlling the fight but in slow motion, it was clear that Fedor was slipping and avoiding all punches. This is very similar. The untrained eye does not see reality.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
^^^^

http://fightmetric.com/fights/Machida-Shogun.html

The fightmetric however does tell the tale of a Shogun who landed 80 strikes the whole fight to Lyotos 38.

There are a few things that are undeniable.

1. Rua landed more strikes
2. Rua landed the more punishing strikes
3. Rua landed strikes in much higher percentages

texaswolf

texaswolf

Awards
  • Established
I'm glad I didn't pay for this one or I would have been pissed.

Shogun clearly beat Machida and was the aggressor for most of the fight while Machida did his backpedaling the whole fight. He might as well just turn and run away. I love how his entire left side was turning red from all the kicks.

This decision reminds me why I rarely watch boxing anymore.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Don't forget that aggression and octagon control are also important parameters of the Unified Rules. It's very obvious that Shogun won that aspect of the fight.

Also, if you want to see the worst decision ever on a championship match, check out Bas v Randleman from UFC 20.

sp447

sp447

Awards
  • Established
Don't forget that aggression and octagon control are also important parameters of the Unified Rules. It's very obvious that Shogun won that aspect of the fight.

Also, if you want to see the worst decision ever on a championship match, check out Bas v Randleman from UFC 20.
Agreed. Rutten/Randleman was horrible. But Machida/Shogun was really a hit below the belt for me because I am a huge fan of Shogun and literally nobody gave the guy a snowballs chance in hell at beating him, and he did, decisively in fact.

I'm just saddened by this

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Randy the ear cabbage Couture would beg to differ.
Are you refering to the strike to the back of the head in the second round? Hardly seems as impressive as a straight from kongo or carwin.

EVILADAMS

EVILADAMS

Awards
  • Established
Even if they do a rematch immediately before giving anyone else a title shot, what does Shogun have to do in the eyes of the judges to win???? Not every fight ends with a knockout.

Like I previously said, he beat on machida unlike anyone else ever had. I'm still just stumped about this. :dunno:

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
I thought Hamil vs Bisping was bull****, as was Page vs Forrest.. but it is objective...
Nah rampage sucked ass in that fight he didnt do anything but get hit, Forrest controlled the entire fight and easily won. Hamill vs Bisping was another BS fight thought but this one was probably the worst decision I have ever seen, Machida won 1 round if he was lucky. Shogun out struck him, controlled the fight, had better aggression, and did more damage.

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
I cant wait to see Machida get KTFO by anybody now.