Shogun Rua was robbed.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Even if they do a rematch immediately before giving anyone else a title shot, what does Shogun have to do in the eyes of the judges to win???? Not every fight ends with a knockout.

Like I previously said, he beat on machida unlike anyone else ever had. I'm still just stumped about this. :dunno:

He needs to hit Machida on the OTHER side of his body, Machida would've dropped from liver shots.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
I'm curious to see if Machida comes back with a different game plan to beat Shogun or if that was the best Machida that night. Watch something comes out that he was sick on Saturday...

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Dana doesn't control the AC and it doesn't reflect poorly on the UFC, it reflects poorly on the AC.
Skip to :)45) for Dana's explanation about his pull with the AC. It CANNOT reflect poorly on the UFC when they have no control over it (At least no tto intelligent people.) Dana has been calling for Mazagatti to be fired for years now and it hasn't mattered. He has no influence over the AC. They could tell him to go "EFF" himself and he'd have to take it.

YouTube - Dana White "I thought Shogun won the fight." UFC 104- Post Press Conference

EVILADAMS

EVILADAMS

Awards
  • Established
Skip to :)45) for Dana's explanation about his pull with the AC. It CANNOT reflect poorly on the UFC when they have no control over it (At least no tto intelligent people.) Dana has been calling for Mazagatti to be fired for years now and it hasn't mattered. He has no influence over the AC. They could tell him to go "EFF" himself and he'd have to take it.

YouTube - Dana White "I thought Shogun won the fight." UFC 104- Post Press Conference
When people talk about how crooked boxing is do they say the "AC" is crooked or do people say "boxing" is crooked????? I don't know about you but all I ever hear is "boxing", not "AC". My point/opinion is Dana is the UFC. He his more the face of his sport than any other commissioner in any other sport.

I get that the UFC doesn't control the AC. But that doesn't change how the majority of people's view on what went down. They see it as a problem of the UFC, not the AC. Ultimately who ever is calling the fights/games, being refs/umps/judges, it is a black eye for the respective sport when it is a raw deal.

Honestly dude, I'm not trying to argue with you about this. I get that we disagree. There isn't anything wrong with that. I think it is a waste of energy to keep posting about who is to blame when the real issue is Shogun got screwed.

So please save your "(At least no to intelligent people.)" comment to someone who doesn't have a brain and to whom it may actually apply to.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established

No love for Machida from anyone. Machida should have given Rumble and Daddy a flying knee from across the table.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
When people talk about how crooked boxing is do they say the "AC" is crooked or do people say "boxing" is crooked????? I don't know about you but all I ever hear is "boxing", not "AC". My point/opinion is Dana is the UFC. He his more the face of his sport than any other commissioner in any other sport.

I get that the UFC doesn't control the AC. But that doesn't change how the majority of people's view on what went down. They see it as a problem of the UFC, not the AC. Ultimately who ever is calling the fights/games, being refs/umps/judges, it is a black eye for the respective sport when it is a raw deal.

Honestly dude, I'm not trying to argue with you about this. I get that we disagree. There isn't anything wrong with that. I think it is a waste of energy to keep posting about who is to blame when the real issue is Shogun got screwed.

So please save your "(At least no to intelligent people.)" comment to someone who doesn't have a brain and to whom it may actually apply to.
So you said, "Dana, this is inexcusable." I'm asking what does Dana have to do with the decision? What do you think he can do about it? He even agrees with you. You made a statement and I'm asking you to qualify it. I'm wondering why you even said that? Does Dana even read AM?

And boxing was/is corrupt. There is a history of fighters taking $$$ for taking dives, promotors either threatening, beating or lavishing gifts upon judges, blackmail and all sorts of organized crime. While that may have also taken place in Japanese MMA organizations, it has yet to be linked to the UFC. So, it's not the same...yet.

EVILADAMS

EVILADAMS

Awards
  • Established
So you said, "Dana, this is inexcusable." I'm asking what does Dana have to do with the decision? What do you think he can do about it? He even agrees with you. You made a statement and I'm asking you to qualify it. I'm wondering why you even said that? Does Dana even read AM?

And boxing was/is corrupt. There is a history of fighters taking $$$ for taking dives, promotors either threatening, beating or lavishing gifts upon judges, blackmail and all sorts of organized crime. While that may have also taken place in Japanese MMA organizations, it has yet to be linked to the UFC. So, it's not the same...yet.
What does Dana reading AM have anything to do with anything we have talked about?

I already "qualified" my answer to you. Sorry if you didn't like it. You can continue to repeat yourself as much as you like but you are coming off as an ignorant **** at this point. Move along dude and please stop wasting my time.
:banghead:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
He needs to hit Machida on the OTHER side of his body, Machida would've dropped from liver shots.
The open stance makes that very difficult for Shogun, but I see your point. Machida's main damage was his knee strikes to Shogun. I've re-watched the fight and I still can't see how the judges scored it for Machida.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
What does Dana reading AM have anything to do with anything we have talked about?

I already "qualified" my answer to you. Sorry if you didn't like it. You can continue to repeat yourself as much as you like but you are coming off as an ignorant **** at this point. Move along dude and please stop wasting my time.
:banghead:
You addressed Dana, directly, as if you were speaking to him. That seemed odd just like you saying that I'm wasting your time when no one is forcing you to respond. If you don't want people to challenge your erroneous opinions, you shouldn't post them on a public message board. As far as I see it, the only one coming off as ignorant is the person who doesn't have the intellectual wherewithal to defend his position without resorting to childish name-calling.
And so you know, just because you started the thread doesn't mean you can dictate what goes on and who can post about whatever. You're not the boss of anyone. Cry to Dana about THAT.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
The open stance makes that very difficult for Shogun, but I see your point. Machida's main damage was his knee strikes to Shogun. I've re-watched the fight and I still can't see how the judges scored it for Machida.

Did you get a chance to read this Horsesh1t? You mean Caleb Starnes should've won against Quarry?

First of all what you need to understand is that from where the judges are sitting, we get to see things that the fans at home may miss. Mauricio Rua was being aggressive but it wasn't effective aggressiveness which is what we as the judges look for when scoring a fight. The way I saw it, Lyoto was landing the more cleaner and damaging strikes throughout the fight - if you take a look at the judging criteria clean strikes are valued more-so than the quantity of strikes landed. Although Rua threw a lot of low kicks they were not as damaging as Lyotos diverse attack in the earlier rounds which is why I scored the first three rounds for Machida. You have to keep in mind we always the favour the fighter who is trying to finish the fight, and leg kicks certainly don't do that."

"When both fighters are engaged in a striking match what I always look for is the fighter who is being judicious, picking his spots, being accurate and landing the cleaner strikes which ultimately is what Lyoto did more effectively than Rua. Lyoto made Shogun come after him, he determined where the fight took place which in my opinion constitutes as effective Octagon control. I recognize the fact that Rua did have a few takedown attempts during the course of the fight however Lyoto defended them all successfully which counts as effective grappling in his favour, where as ununsuccessful takedown attempts are not scored at all. Therefore going by that criteria, I believe Lyoto won the fight clearly. I'm just glad the other judges on the panel saw it the same way and I'm sure the fans who understand the technicalities of the sport agree with the decision too.

sp447

sp447

Awards
  • Established
Cecil Peoples is a tard.

This is not the first time a majority of people have disagreed with him by a landslide and it certainly won't be the last.

Let's go over this pile of horse ****

"When both fighters are engaged in a striking match what I always look for is the fighter who is being judicious, picking his spots, being accurate and landing the cleaner strikes which ultimately is what Lyoto did more effectively than Rua.
Fightmetric says different, as does Machida's face and ribs.
Lyoto made Shogun come after him, he determined where the fight took place which in my opinion constitutes as effective Octagon control. I
Well if that constitutes octagon control than I guess what Kalib Starnes was doing in his fight with Quarry was effective Octagon Control? LOLZ.

I'm sure the fans who understand the technicalities of the sport agree with the decision too.
Cecil needs some Buschells to go with his incompetence. Every professional MMA website, from ESPN, Sherdog, MMAmania, MMAjunkie, Yahoosports etc all had Shogun winning the fight.

Cecil should be pulled off the panel especially now after these comments.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Heck, all fighters should just start jogging around the octagon making the other fighter chase them down. Octagon control right there! They are dictating where the fight is going!

wontstop985

wontstop985

Awards
  • Established
No love for Machida from anyone. Machida should have given Rumble and Daddy a flying knee from across the table.
Yea, that was lame. I personally would have refrained from commenting if I was either of them. Lyoto should have bitch slapped both of 'em.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
Did you get a chance to read this Horsesh1t? You mean Caleb Starnes should've won against Swick?
I know this means nothing but in the post fight intrview, judging by the damage to Shogun's face, Lyoto did have the cleaner head shots.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Originally Posted by Cecil Peoples
First of all what you need to understand is that from where the judges are sitting, we get to see things that the fans at home may miss. Mauricio Rua was being aggressive but it wasn't effective aggressiveness which is what we as the judges look for when scoring a fight. The way I saw it, Lyoto was landing the more cleaner and damaging strikes throughout the fight - if you take a look at the judging criteria clean strikes are valued more-so than the quantity of strikes landed. Although Rua threw a lot of low kicks they were not as damaging as Lyotos diverse attack in the earlier rounds which is why I scored the first three rounds for Machida. You have to keep in mind we always the favour the fighter who is trying to finish the fight, and leg kicks certainly don't do that."
He should be fired based off of this. Leg kicks can't finish a fight!? Just because a strike does not cause head trauma does not mean they aren't very damaging. IMO, ALL judges should be either 1.) Trainers or 2.) Fighters.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
He should be fired based off of this. Leg kicks can't finish a fight!? Just because a strike does not cause head trauma does not mean they aren't very damaging. IMO, ALL judges should be either 1.) Trainers or 2.) Fighters.
I completely agree. His comments on leg kicks only serve to reinforce a sad reality we have all been aware of for some time: the unified MMA rules and those that enforce them are unable to appreciate the nuance of MMA. As a sport, MMA can no longer utilize judges and referees from Karate point tournaments and boxing. Simply insufficient.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I completely agree. His comments on leg kicks only serve to reinforce a sad reality we have all been aware of for some time: the unified MMA rules and those that enforce them are unable to appreciate the nuance of MMA. As a sport, MMA can no longer utilize judges and referees from Karate point tournaments and boxing. Simply insufficient.
Not only that, he completely ignored all of the significant body kicks/knees that Shogun landed.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
what an a$$hole. how many fights did he personally judge that ended in leg kicks???!?!? i bet at least a handful. add machidas tomato rib cage to the mix and more total strikes landed by shogun and you have a victory!!! im so disguisted i dont even wanna watch another fight judged by this clown

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I know for a fact one of the recent Pat Barry's fights ended with leg kicks and the guy not being able to even stand on his leg. Actually, it has been more than one fight in which Pat ended the fight with a TKO due to leg kicks.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Off the top of my head, fights finished with leg kicks:
Barry v Evensen
CC v Yoshida
Vera v Patt
Spratt v Lawler

That's not including Forrest v Rampage, which was completely changed by leg kicks.

ross2009

ross2009

Awards
those s*!theads shouldn't be judging MMA, they should be judging america's next top model.

Vance

Vance

Awards
  • Established
A few days on and I'm still pissed off about this. Respect to Dana for calling it as he saw it too.

I've yet to find one person other than the judges who thought Machida won this fight. Let alone unanimously. The AC needs to investigate the judging and **** Mazzagatti off while they are at it.

sp447

sp447

Awards
  • Established
Barry v Evensen
CC v Yoshida
Vera v Patt
Spratt v Lawler

That's not including Forrest v Rampage, which was completely changed by leg kicks.
Jardine vs. Schall and Bas/Warpath as well

Peoples needs to be fired.

Here is another snip from Cecil People judging another fight with Hughes

Judge Cecil People's Analysis: The first round was tough to score. I gave it to Matt, based on his agression and his attempt to knuckle him up, but it was close. I gave the second round to B.J. for obvious reasons. First, he almost got the kimura and then he got the triangle. But that is why Matt is a world champion. Champions do not quit. He hung in until time ran out, but it was an easy round to score for B.J. In the third round, it was totaldomination for Matt. He was imposing his will. Matt is so strong. He's prison strong.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
we need to tar and feather him! yeah dude mazzagati blows so bad i cant stand him. hes a total ***** when it comes to fights. too many prestoppages. dana should try and deal with them better

EVILADAMS

EVILADAMS

Awards
  • Established
You addressed Dana, directly, as if you were speaking to him. That seemed odd just like you saying that I'm wasting your time when no one is forcing you to respond. If you don't want people to challenge your erroneous opinions, you shouldn't post them on a public message board. As far as I see it, the only one coming off as ignorant is the person who doesn't have the intellectual wherewithal to defend his position without resorting to childish name-calling.
And so you know, just because you started the thread doesn't mean you can dictate what goes on and who can post about whatever. You're not the boss of anyone. Cry to Dana about THAT.
It has less to do with people challenging my opinions as it does you reading my responses and you not liking them so you continue to ask why/?'s as if you are a 6y/o in the back seat. I gave you a response to the questions, again, I apologize if you did not like them. Leave it at a disagreement instead of repeating yourself.

And you mean name calling like your [(At least no tto intelligent people.)] remark you made at me???? I just brought things down to your level since you have made it very clear you are having a difficult time wrapping your mind around any answer I give you, if it wasn't what you want to hear.

Post all you want, no sweat off my sack.

As for me sounding like I was addressing Dana directly it was just away for me to voice my disgust about the way the fight played out. The same as if P.Manning plays a crappy game and I say "Come on Peyton!!!!" Its not as if I expect him to hear me or read it. Sorry you took it so literally.

EVILADAMS

EVILADAMS

Awards
  • Established
I hope in the rematch that Shogun doesn't get stupid and end up trying to be so aggressive that he falls into Machida's counter attacks, which have gotten him where he is today.

But then again, apparently he won't win unless he knocks him out or submits him. Leg kicks were enough to take the title from Rampage but not Machida.

sp447

sp447

Awards
  • Established
I hope in the rematch that Shogun doesn't get stupid and end up trying to be so aggressive that he falls into Machida's counter attacks, which have gotten him where he is today.

But then again, apparently he won't win unless he knocks him out or submits him. Leg kicks were enough to take the title from Rampage but not Machida.
Hopefully next time we'll have a new set of judges.

wontstop985

wontstop985

Awards
  • Established
Jardine vs. Schall and Bas/Warpath as well

Peoples needs to be fired.

Here is another snip from Cecil People judging another fight with Hughes
Uhh wtf? That quote from People isn't actually real, is it?

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone think anything will come of this poor decision? I hate the AC.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just an interesting note about this situation: Sherdog and MMAWeekly have increased Shogun's LHW ranking to #2 and #3, respectively, after a [very controversial] loss to the champion; while upon winning the HW championship, however, Brock Lesnar was only elevated to #4 - a position he stayed at until defending his championship against Mir. Just an interesting commentary on what the "MMA World" consider(s/ed) Brock Lesnar's legitimacy to be.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Just an interesting note about this situation: Sherdog and MMAWeekly have increased Shogun's LHW ranking to #2 and #3, respectively, after a [very controversial] loss to the champion; while upon winning the HW championship, however, Brock Lesnar was only elevated to #4 - a position he stayed at until defending his championship against Mir. Just an interesting commentary on what the "MMA World" consider(s/ed) Brock Lesnar's legitimacy to be.
yea well there is a difference between those two. Shogun came in with a stacked resume and gave it to the champ, getting robbed in the process. Lesnar came in with no prior experience to judge upon and smothered his 44 year old opponent with 60 plus pounds of steroids. thats my bias opinion but Im sure other people can relate

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
yea well there is a difference between those two. Shogun came in with a stacked resume and gave it to the champ, getting robbed in the process. Lesnar came in with no prior experience to judge upon and smothered his 44 year old opponent with 60 plus pounds of steroids. thats my bias opinion but Im sure other people can relate
No, you are entirely right, at least insofar as expressing the exact reasoning which went into the decision. The other argument, of course, is that Shogun was somewhere on the LHW top-ten map prior to nearly defeating Machida. Both of these points I recognize as bearing at least a partial amount of truth. My general point, I suppose, is that irrespective of prior position, beating the champion should count, in all instances, for more than controversially losing to one.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Barry v Evensen
CC v Yoshida
Vera v Patt
Spratt v Lawler

supplement: Maurice Smith vs Tank Abbot

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
I remember Lesner was like #10 after hearing and #9 after randy C.

also volcome why arnt you sticking up for lesner?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The difference between Lesnar and Shogun is Shogun's pedigree/prior performance. When he won the '05, every one of his opponents was, at the time, top-15, if not top-10, at 205. Plus, Lesnar had only beaten 1 top-tier opponent when he won the title and had not accomplished enough to supplant both Fedor, AA (at the time), and Barnett in he rankings.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The difference between Lesnar and Shogun is Shogun's pedigree/prior performance. When he won the '05, every one of his opponents was, at the time, top-15, if not top-10, at 205. Plus, Lesnar had only beaten 1 top-tier opponent when he won the title and had not accomplished enough to supplant both Fedor, AA (at the time), and Barnett in he rankings.
No, I realize all this. My concern is not the position each ended up in, but rather, the relative shift each incurred as the result of their fight.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
i hate how they switch them a lot. also shoguns passed is fuking sick.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Another gem from Peep-Hole:

LOS ANGELES – Referee and judge Cecil Peoples has no doubts he scored the main event of Lyoto Machida vs. Mauricio Rua correctly, though he admits he struggled with the first round of the fight.

Minutes after the judges’ decision announced Machida the winner at UFC 104, boos showered Los Angeles’ Staples Center. Reporters collectively scratched their heads. On the Wikipedia entry for the card, someone slipped “fixed fight” beside the decision for Machida.

UFC president Dana White thought Rua won and greenlighted an immediate rematch.

Peoples, 61, has often been the target of fan outcry for his judging, or perceived lack thereof. He attributes the attacks to his kickboxing background and a memorable name (which is always announced last, he claims).

“The fans and all the naysayers, I don’t worry about,” he said. “I don’t back down because it’s not popular.”

Peoples said Tuesday he has not reviewed last Saturday’s fight, nor the statistics compiled in its wake that overwhelmingly gave the decision to Rua (he has done so only once, after Georges St. Pierre at UFC 58). He maintains that in a close fight, quality of damage is king.

“My thing is, Rua did hit him more,” said Peoples. “But Machida hit him harder, especially in the early rounds.”

By the scorecards, rounds one and four were the only frames where Peoples and fellow judges Marcos Rosales and Nelson Hamilton disagreed. Peoples and Rosales gave Machida the first three rounds, while Hamilton gave him the second, third, and fourth.

Much of the debate has centered on the opening round, in which Rua came out aggressively to the counter-striking of Machida. As for much of the fight, Rua’s attack centered on Machida’s body and legs, while the champion returned with straight punches, body kicks, and leaping knees.

Peoples said the first frame was the closest on his scorecard, but according to the criteria used to judge a fight, he disagrees with those who gave it to Rua.

“I’m really perplexed about how you give (Rua) this round, because Shogun was kicking (Machida) a lot in the legs, but every time he kicked him in the legs, he got hit in the face,” he said. “Shogun would put his hand up, and Machida would go right through, sweat’s flying off (Rua’s) face. Shogun kicked (Machida) in the belly – that’s how he got the red mark.

“But you gotta remember, Machida is stepping back, so when he gets kicked, he’s getting brushed. But he counters Shogun with a hard kick to the belly. Which one counts more for the exchange? I give it to the (second one), because it was harder. It wasn’t brushed.”

Equally important to his decision was the movement of Machida, which he believes showed more authority.

“Machida was controlling that round because he was dominant in not getting beat up in that round,” he said. “He was the general in that first round.”

Peoples thinks much of the controversy is based on Machida’s reputation as a patient and deadly striker, which made him a 6-1 favorite leading into the fight.

“Everybody was expecting him to destroy Shogun like he destroyed Rashad Evans, and he didn’t destroy him,” said Peoples. “It was a close fight. So people think: (Rua) did good. If he did that good, he must have won the fight.”

Peoples concedes that the scoring system is the likely cause for much of judging controversies, though he says it would take “an act of Congress” to change them. He would prefer the K-1 system of judging, wherein half points are awarded in 10-point rounds.

“The scoring system is a very good scoring system for boxing,” he said of the current incarnation.

After the fight, Peoples said he received several text messages from a “very famous kickboxer” arguing with him about his decision. He bristled at the thought and said he has never been challenged in person by a fan.

“So you in a bar with 200 people that are sloppy drunk, and you’re gonna argue with me about the decision?” he asked. “How does that work? Only in America. I give the fight to Machida in a very, very close fight. Now you’re pissed off because it’s my fault that you lost your money. No, it’s not. It’s Machida’s fault.”

For those who think he should find another profession, he has one thing to say.

“If you don’t like it, you can go to hell.”

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
I read that yesterday. I am also mad about cecil peoples scored the fight lastnight in TUF 20-18 along with another ref. the first had 19-19.

sonofsteven

Awards
  • Established
Another gem from Peep-Hole:

LOS ANGELES – Referee and judge Cecil Peoples has no doubts he scored the main event of Lyoto Machida vs. Mauricio Rua correctly, though he admits he struggled with the first round of the fight.

Minutes after the judges’ decision announced Machida the winner at UFC 104, boos showered Los Angeles’ Staples Center. Reporters collectively scratched their heads. On the Wikipedia entry for the card, someone slipped “fixed fight” beside the decision for Machida.

UFC president Dana White thought Rua won and greenlighted an immediate rematch.

Peoples, 61, has often been the target of fan outcry for his judging, or perceived lack thereof. He attributes the attacks to his kickboxing background and a memorable name (which is always announced last, he claims).

“The fans and all the naysayers, I don’t worry about,” he said. “I don’t back down because it’s not popular.”

Peoples said Tuesday he has not reviewed last Saturday’s fight, nor the statistics compiled in its wake that overwhelmingly gave the decision to Rua (he has done so only once, after Georges St. Pierre at UFC 58). He maintains that in a close fight, quality of damage is king.

“My thing is, Rua did hit him more,” said Peoples. “But Machida hit him harder, especially in the early rounds.”

By the scorecards, rounds one and four were the only frames where Peoples and fellow judges Marcos Rosales and Nelson Hamilton disagreed. Peoples and Rosales gave Machida the first three rounds, while Hamilton gave him the second, third, and fourth.

Much of the debate has centered on the opening round, in which Rua came out aggressively to the counter-striking of Machida. As for much of the fight, Rua’s attack centered on Machida’s body and legs, while the champion returned with straight punches, body kicks, and leaping knees.

Peoples said the first frame was the closest on his scorecard, but according to the criteria used to judge a fight, he disagrees with those who gave it to Rua.

“I’m really perplexed about how you give (Rua) this round, because Shogun was kicking (Machida) a lot in the legs, but every time he kicked him in the legs, he got hit in the face,” he said. “Shogun would put his hand up, and Machida would go right through, sweat’s flying off (Rua’s) face. Shogun kicked (Machida) in the belly – that’s how he got the red mark.

“But you gotta remember, Machida is stepping back, so when he gets kicked, he’s getting brushed. But he counters Shogun with a hard kick to the belly. Which one counts more for the exchange? I give it to the (second one), because it was harder. It wasn’t brushed.”

Equally important to his decision was the movement of Machida, which he believes showed more authority.

“Machida was controlling that round because he was dominant in not getting beat up in that round,” he said. “He was the general in that first round.”

Peoples thinks much of the controversy is based on Machida’s reputation as a patient and deadly striker, which made him a 6-1 favorite leading into the fight.

“Everybody was expecting him to destroy Shogun like he destroyed Rashad Evans, and he didn’t destroy him,” said Peoples. “It was a close fight. So people think: (Rua) did good. If he did that good, he must have won the fight.”

Peoples concedes that the scoring system is the likely cause for much of judging controversies, though he says it would take “an act of Congress” to change them. He would prefer the K-1 system of judging, wherein half points are awarded in 10-point rounds.

“The scoring system is a very good scoring system for boxing,” he said of the current incarnation.

After the fight, Peoples said he received several text messages from a “very famous kickboxer” arguing with him about his decision. He bristled at the thought and said he has never been challenged in person by a fan.

“So you in a bar with 200 people that are sloppy drunk, and you’re gonna argue with me about the decision?” he asked. “How does that work? Only in America. I give the fight to Machida in a very, very close fight. Now you’re pissed off because it’s my fault that you lost your money. No, it’s not. It’s Machida’s fault.”

For those who think he should find another profession, he has one thing to say.

“If you don’t like it, you can go to hell.”

Even though I am slightly biased since I won money off Machida , I still have to say it is cool to hear Peoples defend himself like this . I like the "F**K everyone , I do my job that I am trained and payed to do" kind of attitude . I also get angry if some one tells me how to do my job .
That being said , before they announced a winner I was getting out my money to pay this guy with , heard the decision and and was pleasantly surprised .

sp447

sp447

Awards
  • Established
I like the "F**K everyone , I do my job that I am trained and payed to do" kind of attitude . I also get angry if some one tells me how to do my job ..
If Cecil Peoples actually knew how to do his job, nobody would have a problem with him.

This isn't the first time he's ****ed up a decision or given a round/fight to a fighter who clearly didn't win.

He scored

Tito/Vitor for Vitor
Forrest/Tito for Forrest
Kongo/Merrero for Kongo
GSP/BJ Penn 1 for BJ
Bisping/Hamill for Bisping

He also was a judge for the Forrest/Jardine fight and was seen ringside not even watching the fight

Check it out

He's also a ****ty referee.

The guy is incompetent. He should be lucky he still has a job.

Did I mention he also had a brain tumor removed in 2001? Perhaps they missed the tumor and removed his brain.

Cecil Peoples doesn't know how to do his job.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
More than a few of those were close, if not highly justifiable decisions; still, though, general point is spot on.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
There were 3 ringside judges that gave it to Machida, not just Cecil P.

sp447

sp447

Awards
  • Established
There were 3 ringside judges that gave it to Machida, not just Cecil P.
I think everyone is fully aware of this. But this is a regular occurring thing with Cecil Peoples. His incompetence as a judge is well documented on several occasions. Which is why everyone is on his case.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
we all know there were 2 other judges who scored it wrong but like the guy above me said cecil is always one of them

sonofsteven

Awards
  • Established
I think everyone is fully aware of this. But this is a regular occurring thing with Cecil Peoples. His incompetence as a judge is well documented on several occasions. Which is why everyone is on his case.

Dman bro you are pulling out all the stops !

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
I wonder....what are the odds of 3 judges scoring it wrong? Machida is a tournament champion. He knows how to count points to win rounds. From where I was sitting I also saw shogun winning but my gut knew Machida knows how to win on points and win rounds and that's what he did.