"Dragon" Machida vs "Sugar" Evans @ AM - the UFC 98 thread

SpargelJanusz

SpargelJanusz

Awards
  • Established
Still having to digest that we saw the iceman falleth @ UFC 97, so to speak, I'm opening this thread to focus on what I consider a must-see: two incredibly gifted LHWs at the absolute top of their game, both basically unbeaten, will collide.

Let's collect hype, impressions and predictions here.

I find the outcome impossible to call in advance, but root for Machida as he represents the "Arts" part in Martial Arts like no other fighter in that weight class.

Evans is a naturally strong athlete, I believe he has a slight advantage from a pure strength and maybe even general conditioning standpoint.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
I'm still digesting that incredibly boring "main event" Silva...uhm...dance.

I vote Machida to win, and cheer for him for the "Arts" factor as well. Should be an exciting match.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Still having to digest that we saw the iceman falleth @ UFC 97, so to speak, I'm opening this thread to focus on what I consider a must-see: two incredibly gifted LHWs at the absolute top of their game, both basically unbeaten, will collide.

Let's collect hype, impressions and predictions here.

I find the outcome impossible to call in advance, but root for Machida as he represents the "Arts" part in Martial Arts like no other fighter in that weight class.

Evans is a naturally strong athlete, I believe he has a slight advantage from a pure strength and maybe even general conditioning standpoint.
I think Machida brings more class than Evans. Maybe even go so far to say more honor. If Mach is the dragon then Evans is the young undisciplined dragon.
Power might go to Evans but he's gonna have a very hard time using it against Mach.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
I am for Machida! Not too crazy about Evans being Champion. He barely beat Griffith who barely beat Page (THE REAL CHAMPION) I ackknowledge Evans is pretty good but I don't feel good enough to be champ. He will have to prove himself in this fight to deserve that belt.

I'd really love to see a true artist take and retain this belt. I feel a sense of comaraderie as I too have a background in Karate and Machida's father or was ( not sure which) a Karate Master. Shotokan I believe.

Lucky!:nervous:

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
evans all the way, machida is too boring, atleast evans brings some spice into the fight, machida would be the most boring champ in history, plus evans vs rampage is way more interesting than rampage vs the dragon

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I do not want Machida as champ. After the Spider fight I have had more than enough with this non confrontational type of fighter. Machida would be elusive as hell if he were a champ.

Not a big Evans fan either but I hope he wins.

SpargelJanusz

SpargelJanusz

Awards
  • Established
In general, a fighter should be concerned with winning, not with entertaining (this ain't the WWE).

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It will be interesting.

I would like to see lyoto winning simply because i cant stand sugar as a person; but you cant count him out of anything.

I think on the feet it will be pretty even, i dont think Sugar is going to have the chance to unload those power punches hes been displaying though.

I predict Sugar will take him down, dirty box him and win the decision.

My heart sakes 3rd round tko for the dragon.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lucky,

Rashad barely beat Forrest? Did you watch that fight at all? He pummelled poor Forrest, so bad in fact, Forrest's hands were tapping just from the beating.

With that said, Machida by long UD

tattoopierced1

hoping for Evans to win. I think alot of people discredit him and try to use his personality against him. I'm sure alot of his "attitude" is all promotion fluffing.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Its probably promotional but it doesn't seem consistent. He's all smiley guy at the press confrences and interviews and then goes for the cock grab after forrest clocks him. I'm not saying he's not a badass but it just seems like Quinton, Nick Diaz, Thiago Silva all pull it off better. Like maybe they aren't just doing it as an act.
just my opinion.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its probably promotional but it doesn't seem consistent. He's all smiley guy at the press confrences and interviews and then goes for the cock grab after forrest clocks him. I'm not saying he's not a badass but it just seems like Quinton, Nick Diaz, Thiago Silva all pull it off better. Like maybe they aren't just doing it as an act.
just my opinion.
Haha, he speaks very little English plus that's a huge cultural thing in Brazil.

Anyway, I am saying Machida wins the fight on his counter striking and footwork. Neither one of them has ever been tagged with a lot of power, so it's hard to say who has the better chin.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Maybe he is just a teddy bear, but I'd still be intimidated bumping into him at night on the street.
Yeah all opinions aside on either opponent its going to be the type of fight people enjoy most (crossing my fingers anyway). I don't think I'll regret paying money for this one.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Either way, Rampage fights an undefeated fighter.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am cheering for Rashad, both personally and practically. In my opinion, such a high belt turnover is not good for the sport as a whole: it is difficult to build anticipation for title fights when the belt is constantly being recycled every two months. It will also be even more infuriating to hear no less than three people yammering about getting "their belt" back.

It was frustrating enough to hear Chuck complain about getting "his" belt back after two years and two post-Chuck belt changes. I shudder to think of Rashad, 'Page and Forrest all saying the same thing.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think that whoever wins this will be difficult to dethrone. Both are quite elusive and offer a great deal at 205. Rampage or anybody else at 205 will find it difficult ot beat them.

SpargelJanusz

SpargelJanusz

Awards
  • Established
Imagine the 185 and 205 lbs champions not being able to articulate themselves in english.
From a marketing standpoint, that's a nightmare for the UFC.
I'm sure Dana is rooting for Sugar.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
you know what i was thinking. Tito's last 3 fights has been Evans, Griffin, Machida. Is this right. Just a thought, sorry for being off topic.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Yeah Mach was the only one with a clear victory over him out of the 3.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Imagine the 185 and 205 lbs champions not being able to articulate themselves in english.
From a marketing standpoint, that's a nightmare for the UFC.
I'm sure Dana is rooting for Sugar.
I agree. Given Page's bright and encompassing personality, I am sure Dana is truly rooting for him to attain the title once again.

EVILADAMS

EVILADAMS

Awards
  • Established
Evans in a 5 round snooze-fest. (Lets hope I just jinxed it.)

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
I think Evans athleticism, speed, power will cover enough ground to put Machida's defense away and put him away as well.

Who knows, I rather see Evans vs Page though rather than Machida vs Page.

MacTruck33

Awards
This is really a tough one to pick. Evans last 2 fights have been won on his defense...his ability to retreat and to pick apart his opponent, which is weird because Machida's striking game is one where he picks and chooses his shots. I think Evans will be the aggressor and it will play into Machida's game plan.

If its a ground game I like Evans wrestling or Machida's jitz. If its stand up I like Machida.
Overall-Machida

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This comes off paradoxical, but I think Page has a better chance against Evans, then he does against Machida, so my sole reason for wanting an Evans victory is to benefit Rampage. However, I feel Machida will win.

hitsquaddd

hitsquaddd

Awards
I like Machida, but I see Evans overwhelming him with his athleticism. He's got one of the fastest hands in the UFC and packs alot of power. His wrestling vs. Machidas jiu-hitsu will present an interesting match up.

Rooting for: Machida
Most likely to win: Evans

Sorry folks :[

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
I like Machida, but I see Evans overwhelming him with his athleticism. He's got one of the fastest hands in the UFC and packs alot of power. His wrestling vs. Machidas jiu-hitsu will present an interesting match up.

Rooting for: Machida
Most likely to win: Evans

Sorry folks :[

I don't think catching Chuck with a knockout now a' days means your have the fastest hands. :D

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't think catching Chuck with a knockout now a' days means your have the fastest hands. :D
No it means he stands flat footed infront of you, not cutting angles, chasing you around the cage with his hands at his waist line.

That said i think Sugar has decent/good boxing.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
No it means he stands flat footed infront of you, not cutting angles, chasing you around the cage with his hands at his waist line.

That said i think Sugar has decent/good boxing.
He's certainly improving

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
Lucky,

Rashad barely beat Forrest? Did you watch that fight at all? He pummelled poor Forrest, so bad in fact, Forrest's hands were tapping just from the beating.

With that said, Machida by long UD

Sorry, just watched the fight again and to me it was clear Forrest was winning that fight until Rashad caught his kick & took him down. I wasn't very excited on having Forrest as champ anyway but to me he was winning.
But winning and finishing are 2 different things aren't they?

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Sorry, just watched the fight again and to me it was clear Forrest was winning that fight until Rashad caught his kick & took him down. I wasn't very excited on having Forrest as champ anyway but to me he was winning.
But winning and finishing are 2 different things aren't they?
Rashed even said in some interview thing that his corner told him that he lost one of the rounds. I wanna say it was the 2nd round but I haven't watched in a while.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Dude 98 is cursed!!
James Irvin
Yushin Okami
Josh Koscheck
Frank Mir
All forced out due to injury. Card is looking pretty crap-tastic.

SpargelJanusz

SpargelJanusz

Awards
  • Established
Irvin out??? ****! But still, there's Houston "The wannabe assassin" vs a guy named Gusmao.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
now houstin is out and krystof isin hahahah

SpargelJanusz

SpargelJanusz

Awards
  • Established
I'm acutally amazed Houston is in the UFC after this supposed asassin went on the Chuck route.

Having now made up my mind, I give this fight to Machida. I admit, I idolize him. Wish though he'd have Chuck's calves.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Wow... The undercard is going to be all made of replacements soon enough... Sucks, I've been wanting to watch another Houston fight for a long time now.

And I just checked on UFC, the preliminary fights seem to have some good ones... I really want to see Pat Barry again. He impressed me the first time.

Although I don't understand why he stays in the Heavyweight division... I don't see him having that hard of a time dropping to LHW and he'd have some explosiveness and huge power in that division... Although it is "slightly" more packed.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
seriously if i had to fight it would be heavy weight because 205 seems so hard. i would get up to soaking wet 269 and cut down to 240 lean and cardio machine!

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, but considering he's pushing 5'11'', and an uncut weight of 240, I don't see why. Most of the heavyweights are 6'2''+, with a good reach. He's a kickboxer and a darn good one, but still, he's a stand up guy with very limited reach.

So it does kinda make me wonder... He'd have a real good shot at raising fast on the LHW ranks on my opinion, as he'd only have to cut about 10-15lbs to be in good shape. And his reach / height would be much less of a factor.

mytime09

mytime09

Awards
im usually pretty good at calling fights but i seriously have no clue with this one. im gonna say machida by submission or rashad by stoppage/knockout. i cant f*ckin wait to see this one!

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
5"11 is pretty short for a HW. he better wrestle good.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Machida should win this fight. With Machida's Sumo, bjj, and other backgrounds I can't really remember, I don't think Rashad can take him down. Rashad had a time taking Bisping down. So the fight will play out mostly on the feet unless Machida wants it on the ground. On the feet, Rashad has good defense, powerful punches, and can counter well, but that's all. What has he done in his last two fights on the feet besides land 2 big punches? Just avoided taking too much damage. Rashad waits for the counter that isn't there and loses a points decision in this one.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think decision is the way this goes, and Machida takes the UD

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
I think Machida knows the fans and management wants him to be more active & less of a backpeddling counterpuncher as in the Silva fight...so I'm looking to Machida to press the action a little more.

I say it's Machida by knees to the Kidneys and Face.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't complain in the least if the rash/mach fight went exactly like the mach/thiago fight. I mean seriously it was a first round knockout. It wasn't the Anderson/Letttuce fight.

sonofsteven

Awards
  • Established
I'm saying Rashad learns what it is like to recieve a beatdown . The Bulletproof Monk sticks and moves as he does sooo well , frustrating Evans into making a mistake and BAM - Thiago Silva all over again . Another spotless record bites the dust !

cgoode

cgoode

Awards
  • Established
this is going to the judges...i have a feeling it will be pretty boring....machida will NOT press the pace, and evans will wait for the first half of each round, then get pissed and to pick up the pace, but machida will continue to avoid and score points....it will be close, but unanimous dicision, judges narrowly giving machida the win, even though they will recognize he was not the aggressor, machidas counter attacks will win him the decision...boring fight, ill go to hooters so i dont have to pay

SpargelJanusz

SpargelJanusz

Awards
  • Established
I'm with you goode. Believe now too that why it looks like the fight of the decade on paper, it'll be rather disappointing in reality.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Dude hooters? If you're lucky (maybe this only goes for southern california but..) you'll get a table if you are there hours before the fight. Then you'll pay a ton of money for ok wings and over priced beer. One time I had to watch the fight from the street like a bum because nobody was leaving their tables. hahaha. but yeah now I just get some friends to cough up some money and drink malt liquor. :D

Also I've heard they have to make the bars/restaurants change a cover for UFC's now.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just stream and use and HDMI to upload it to my 40". The picture is a little fuzzy, depending on which stream you use.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
General Chat 35
Noteboom Cycle Logs 7
TheBigBrodie Anabolics 2
AntM1564 Anabolics 13
Noteboom Anabolics 30