Hormones or prostate?

jaydee

Awards
  • Established
I stopped taking finasteride about 14 months ago and while on it, I had a known side effect of decreased ejaculate volume...sometimes none at all. Now I still get this along with a host of other side effects, but I wonder what causes the decrease in ejaculate volume? Is it a prostate problem or is this directly to do with hormones?

I do have low LH and FSH and I wonder if that could be it.

Also when I do get any volume, it is always watery. Does this happen with any other hormone deficiencies or is this jus a finasteride "thing"?

Megazoid

Awards
Ejaculate load is related to various factors including LH/FSH which stimulate the seminal fluid production and E2 which also seem's to have a degree of control over the load. I've noticed allot of guy's with high E2 get smaller loads, which would make sense as i have low E2 (a few points below the normal range for a man) and HUGE

jaydee

Awards
  • Established
Good to hear from ya Mega.....very interesting about the E2. I noticed literally within a day or two of taking finasteride that my load got smaller and my face blew up. I thought i was having an allergic reaction to the med with face swelling....but the pharmacist assured me to keep taking it and all will be well.

To this day, my face is still fatty, though not as bad and it makes sense that this would be attributed to high E. Yet my blood tests tell me that my E2 is not that high. What im trying to say is that I would have exptected my E to be far higher than it is, given the symptoms ive got. I also feel bloated too at times and get shrinkage all the time.

Though as ive said before, my E may need to be lower for ME.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
Good to hear from ya Mega.....very interesting about the E2. I noticed literally within a day or two of taking finasteride that my load got smaller and my face blew up. I thought i was having an allergic reaction to the med with face swelling....but the pharmacist assured me to keep taking it and all will be well.

To this day, my face is still fatty, though not as bad and it makes sense that this would be attributed to high E. Yet my blood tests tell me that my E2 is not that high. What im trying to say is that I would have exptected my E to be far higher than it is, given the symptoms ive got. I also feel bloated too at times and get shrinkage all the time.

Though as ive said before, my E may need to be lower for ME.
Jaydee what have i told you about how its possible that finisteride may make one more e2 sensitive possible due to increasing senisitivity at receptor sites. For reason that I do not know other then may be lowering the dht for prolong peroid of time may increase e2, e1 sensitivity. It may not be e2 that may be the factor, but also e1 can also bind to the recptors where e2 do. how th hell did I get 80% elnlarge prostrate when my e2 has always been in check. Mostlikely it be due to free T:e ratio cause of the problem more then anything and also shifted AA/EPA ratio from cutting fish oils for 2 long and loading on red meat and eggs, butter for 8 months shifting the balance the other way

jaydee

Awards
  • Established
I think you've uncovered the problem with my prostrate - I dont have one....:lol:
But seriously my prostate doesnt feel enlarged, as I am peeing freely and urologist thought it was fine too. But it does spasm a lot?? I wonder if it is actually still shrunk from the fin.

I agree totally that it could still be an E problem regardless of my "only slightly higher than optimal" E2 range. The next question is why is it still a problem or at least seems to be a problem? E sensitivety at the receptor sites is a possiblility but is still only speculation as no-one really knows with finasteride.

If it is E sensitivity, are you saying that by lowering E to lower than "normal" may solve the problem?

Also how would i find out if estrone is high? Is there a blood test for that one and why isnt it regularly tested if its a concern? I thought E2 was the only one I need to worry about and the last I heard on total E is that most men have high total E anyway so its probably not worth testing.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
I think you've uncovered the problem with my prostrate - I dont have one....:lol:
But seriously my prostate doesnt feel enlarged, as I am peeing freely and urologist thought it was fine too. But it does spasm a lot?? I wonder if it is actually still shrunk from the fin.

I agree totally that it could still be an E problem regardless of my "only slightly higher than optimal" E2 range. The next question is why is it still a problem or at least seems to be a problem? E sensitivety at the receptor sites is a possiblility but is still only speculation as no-one really knows with finasteride.

If it is E sensitivity, are you saying that by lowering E to lower than "normal" may solve the problem?

Also how would i find out if estrone is high? Is there a blood test for that one and why isnt it regularly tested if its a concern? I thought E2 was the only one I need to worry about and the last I heard on total E is that most men have high total E anyway so its probably not worth testing.
Only urin test will validate that
what was your shbg ? that is determining factor on e2 where it needs to be inrelationship to it

jaydee

Awards
  • Established
SHBG was 36 nmol/L (13 - 71)

E2 was 119 nmol/L (40 - 250)

Is the urine testing an what they call an ultra sensitive estrogen assay?

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established

There is a whole panel for estrogens testing.
At Quest I am getting:

Estradiol <52 (wrong test)
Estradiol, Bioavailable
Estradiol, Free
Estradiol, Fractionated, serum
Estradiol, Ultra-sensitive (10-50)
Estrogens, Total, Serum (130 or less)
Estrone,serum (<or=68)
===============================
(Estradiol, Fractionated, serum)=(E1+E2+E3) so it contains two of the above tests:
(Estradiol, Ultra-sensitive=E2)
(Estrone,serum=E1)
------------------------------------------
You can find more details on them here:
http://www.questdiagnostics.com/hcp/intguide/EndoMetab/EndoManual_3rdEd_2004.pdf
pages 61-69