Very .PDF on fish oil--a must read.

christopher

Awards
  • Established
Good article (although complex)....

I thought I was clear on the omegas and supplementation, then I found more info....Seems that too much omega 3 can have harmful effects, and that case specific testing/dosage is required....

For me, I cut out the omega 6 "bad" sources in my diet and take one borage oil cap daily (480 gla)....

For 3's, im takin a cap that totals just over 600 (epa/dha) per pill, 2x daily....I liked the oil better, and plan to go back to it after I run out....I'm gonna try hemp oil, as I have read that it is superior to fish and krill.....alternately, read that carlsons cod liver in the winter and fish in the summer (sunshine for vit k)

How essential is individual balance and dosage for 3/6 ratio ...?

what tests determine the need and dosage...? and are there specific tests to determine brain chem levels (ser. etc), the appropriate dose and kind of depression/mental state...?

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/.fulltext/8/4/410.pdf

I was linked to the above .PDF paper from another forum, but found it could benefit many here, so I had to post.
Thank you.
Mackerel is a first rate source of EPA/DHA
Herrings are second
I do not mind but am not exactly fond of mackerels.
Used lot of them as a bait while fishing for sharks.
Herrings are my favorites.
Question:
I like salted herrings, to eat one have to soak then in the water to wash out the salt
wonder if that washes out the benefits.
What would be the best way to eat herrings.
Any links to actual good food appreciated.
----------------------------------------
Come to think about,
poor polish people (that unfortunately included me) eat lot of cabbage and herrings,
At one time I eat 365 cabbage soups with slab of bacon, within one year.
(and potatos, yayks).

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
Good article (although complex)....

I thought I was clear on the omegas and supplementation, then I found more info....Seems that too much omega 3 can have harmful effects, and that case specific testing/dosage is required....

For me, I cut out the omega 6 "bad" sources in my diet and take one borage oil cap daily (480 gla)....

For 3's, im takin a cap that totals just over 600 (epa/dha) per pill, 2x daily....I liked the oil better, and plan to go back to it after I run out....I'm gonna try hemp oil, as I have read that it is superior to fish and krill.....alternately, read that carlsons cod liver in the winter and fish in the summer (sunshine for vit k)

How essential is individual balance and dosage for 3/6 ratio ...?

what tests determine the need and dosage...? and are there specific tests to determine brain chem levels (ser. etc), the appropriate dose and kind of depression/mental state...?
In Cell membranes its normally 2-4 :1 6:3 ratio

GRIMNURUK

Awards
Thank you.
Mackerel is a first rate source of EPA/DHA
Herrings are second
I do not mind but am not exactly fond of mackerels.
Used lot of them as a bait while fishing for sharks.
Herrings are my favorites.
Question:
I like salted herrings, to eat one have to soak then in the water to wash out the salt
wonder if that washes out the benefits.
What would be the best way to eat herrings.
Any links to actual good food appreciated.
----------------------------------------
Come to think about,
poor polish people (that unfortunately included me) eat lot of cabbage and herrings,
At one time I eat 365 cabbage soups with slab of bacon, within one year.
(and potatos, yayks).

I took a liking to mackrel and peanut butter sandwiches during my stay in Oslo. mmmm. Also I heard (from an Icelandic friend) that dried herring slathered in butter is good.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I took a liking to mackrel and peanut butter sandwiches during my stay in Oslo. mmmm. Also I heard (from an Icelandic friend) that dried herring slathered in butter is good.
What is dried herring?
Where to get it in USA?
When I go to Shop Rite there is a semi-dry herring, salted and with lots of tiny sharp bones. Very tasty but hard to eat.
I mix it with cream chease to make spread, still salty.
I am not really sure what to do with salt, I hate to soak it out in water and loose all good taste.
In Polish stores I can sometime get large herrings in a brine, those you have to soak in water before use.

I see other fish filets dried, but not herring.
-----------------------------------------------------
Watch out peanut butter, most have all the hydrogynated poison in them.
Couple days ago I had a urge for lard, that one also comes hydrogenated, unbelivable.
So the only way is to get fat bacon and make my own lard.